As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why does PS4 Pro not get HDR-capable YouTube and Netflix apps?

No idea whether this is a good place to post this question, but I've been wondering: why aren't the YouTube and Netflix apps on PS4 Pro HDR-capable? The console can obviously do HDR, so what's the problem here? If I'm not mistaken, the Xbox One S's Netflix app gets HDR. Is it that neither Netflix nor YouTube can be bothered or have deals in place that give Sony lower priority? Or is it a technical issue (which would be weird)?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
"Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    You've identified the two possible reasons, but I doubt anyone here knows for sure.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    It's all over the place. The Chromecast Ultra on my TV (obviously) plays HDR on Youtube, but the LG Youtube app does not. However, the app on Samsung TVs does, and was among the first to support it when HDR was rolled out on the service.

So,

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    That is an interesting question that we may never actually know the answer of.

I would guess "Slow updating from Netflix and Google, etc."