As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Huh. I'd thought we were convinced it was only going to be 2 cores. At least, that's what I'd absorbed till today.

When an Asmodee rep first unveiled the box at GAMA, he used some weasel words and said you'd need 2 cores to fully play.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Which apparently meant "minimum capable of building a 40/40" and not "an actual full set."

• cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    To be honest, I think there should be more anger at the fact that two cores are required to create a legal deck than that it takes three to get a full set.

cckerberos.png
    Given the choices we have I'd actually rather the cores be almost entirely 1-ofs and therefore be unable to form a deck from a single box, because it means fewer duplicates when you buy all three.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yeah. The bullshit of Netrunner was that the third core got you 7 cards of varying utility. The advantage is that the two-of and three-ofs allowed more legal decks to be built at once.

I much prefer the current model. Then again, I am planning on owning 4 cores.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Conquest was the worst one. Three full copies of every fucking Warlord set.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Arkham Horror is pretty bad, too (2 sets for core complete with 2/3 being useless), but there's not much they can do about that. The second set also lets you do 3 players, maybe 4 if you stretch or pick up expansions.

Tomanta wrote: »
    Arkham Horror is pretty bad, too (2 sets for core complete with 2/3 being useless), but there's not much they can do about that. The second set also lets you do 3 players, maybe 4 if you stretch or pick up expansions.

There was really no way to get around that, unless they released the investigator cards separate from the encounter cards. That probably would've led to market confusion.

Athenor wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »

There was really no way to get around that, unless they released the investigator cards separate from the encounter cards. That probably would've led to market confusion.

Oh, I agree. I'm not upset about it. They are getting better. When they first started LCGs the chapter packs had 3 copies of 10 cards and just 1 copy of 10 - you had to buy 3 of each chapter pack for a complete set!

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Cantido wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Oh hey, there's the official announcement of the first pack, Tears of Amaterasu.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/24/tears-of-amaterasu/

Who made Ammy cry and why aren't they dead yet.

So canonically the Tears of Amaterasu is basically the name for jade. Legend has it that her husband Onnotangu, the Moon, grew jealous of the their children as Amaterasu, the Sun, would heap praise and love on them and turn away from him. With the corruption of Nothing eating away at his sanity, he eventually ate all but one of his 10 children. As he was eating, Amaterasu cried, and her tears fell to the earth as jade. When the youngest son (who avoided being eaten when his mother got Onnotangu drunk on sake and fed him a rock instead) finally fought his father and cut Onnotangu's belly open (freeing the other children gods), the Moon's blood fell to earth and created obsidian. Where the tears and the blood mixed on earth, it created mankind.

This has been your daily dose of Rokugani folklore/history!

tzeentchling on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Cantido wrote: »
    Oh hey, there's the official announcement of the first pack, Tears of Amaterasu.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/24/tears-of-amaterasu/

Who made Ammy cry and why aren't they dead yet.

So canonically the Tears of Amaterasu is basically the name for jade. Legend has it that her husband Onnotangu, the Moon, grew jealous of the their children as Amaterasu would heap praise and love on them and turn away from him. With the corruption of Nothing eating away at his sanity, he eventually ate all but one of his children. As he was eating, Amaterasu cried, and her tears fell to the earth as jade. When the youngest son (who avoided being eaten when his mother got Onnotangu drunk on sake and fed him a rock instead) finally fought his father and cut Onnotangu's belly open (freeing the other children gods), the Moon's blood fell to earth and created obsidian. Where the tears and the blood mixed on earth, it created mankind.

This has been your daily dose of Rokugani folklore/history!
    amaterasu_by_ultraflame22-d4msdd1.jpg

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yeah. The bullshit of Netrunner was that the third core got you 7 cards of varying utility. The advantage is that the two-of and three-ofs allowed more legal decks to be built at once.

Why 4?

Inquisitor wrote: »

Why 4?

My current core is being used as a dedicated demo piece, and I want to keep it that way for the time being. But when that need goes away, it's nice having a lot of cores for maintaining multiple decks at once. It's more common to run 2 copies of a card out of faction than 3.

It'll probably be a while before I get to that level, though.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I'm probably gonna buy in for 3 cores because Magic Madhouse are doing a £25 discount on getting all 3 and I've got a big enough group that we'll probably need the extra neutrals for the launch day.

Also I finally buckled down and read through the rules/etc. for this last night. Jeez this game is weird.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Yeah, my local place is doing three cores for $100 rather. Since they're list priced at $40 I may just do that.

Though I'm also considering just going in on one core and seeing how it plays out, since reviews are seeming pretty mixed atm.

What is this I don't even.
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Huh, interesting. Someone pointed it out to me, and I guess this makes sense. Ever actually read the ring effects?
    Air: The attacking player takes 1 honor from his or her opponent, or gains 2 honor from the general token pool.

So Hotaru and Toturi can't actually get the effects by winning on the D. ...Well, they *could* fire it, but they'd be on the receiving end of it. Tsukune gets around it because it specifically SAYS on the ability to resolve it as if you were the attacker.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Huh, interesting. Someone pointed it out to me, and I guess this makes sense. Ever actually read the ring effects?
    Air: The attacking player takes 1 honor from his or her opponent, or gains 2 honor from the general token pool.

So Hotaru and Toturi can't actually get the effects by winning on the D. ...Well, they *could* fire it, but they'd be on the receiving end of it. Tsukune gets around it because it specifically SAYS on the ability to resolve it as if you were the attacker.

This is, I think, the #1 question people have about the game right now, and no one's gotten a good answer out of FFG yet. The language in the rules reference says "Attacking," like you pointed out. So does that mean 2x attacking 0 defending, or 2x attacking 1 defending? I've seen it bounce both ways, though I am leaning towards RaW - 2x attacking 0 defending.

edited August 2017
    Yeah, RAW is how I read it. You wouldn't want to fire it as the defender, since... you're still the defending player. Plus it plays into the general theme and mechanics of the game of you GOING OUT AND DOING STUFF. Attacking the opponent and winning! It definitely means that you can't just turtle up and try to sleaze ring effects.

It *does* mean that the old preview article was wrong, but... let's face it, it's not the first time they've gotten a article wrong. Although this time I can understand, since it was still being beta tested up until the 11'th hour.

I've seen the text of a e-mail from Nate French ruling it that way, with that reasoning, so I'm okay with it.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    I think the old air ring required you to win as an attacker to play?

Either I'm teaching really well, or I just suck at games.

I played another learner game, this time against our local Magic organizer/judge/awesome card guy. I was Lion. He feinted and did a military strike on my stronghold and sent all my characters home, then banzai'ed to boost his duelist to take the place. Argh.

Oh right, today's the London Honored event isn't it? Anyone going?

persona4celestia.jpg
    I've come to the decision that the lion learn to play deck is rubbish. Tonight I taught two new players, though one asked to play Phoenix. The shenanigans and ring manipulation was crazy. To make matters worse, the lion player wasn't keeping fate around for conflict, so all the awesome conflict cards he was drawing were useless. There were a few points he could turn things around... Until the phoenix shugenja stole the ring with two fate on it.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Both the learn to play decks seem really bad considering it's all 1 ofs.

I'm planning to just make mono faction decks of every faction with my 3 cores because I feel like starting with those weird, terrible fake decks will give a really bad first impression of the game to my group.

Both the learn to play decks seem really bad considering it's all 1 ofs.

I'm planning to just make mono faction decks of every faction with my 3 cores because I feel like starting with those weird, terrible fake decks will give a really bad first impression of the game to my group.

I suspect you won't have enough neutrals to do one of every faction.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Let's get this party going. My LGS confirmed 3 launch kits coming in, and we've placed an order for 38 cores... which hopefully we'll get.

I'll be running as TO. I really can't wait. :D

Alright, preordered my 3 sets and registered for a launch event. Is there any good deckbuilding tips out at the moment? I'm not going to have my hands on the product until the launch day, so I'll need to have my decks preplanned to quickly build them prior to the tournament.

Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Alright, preordered my 3 sets and registered for a launch event. Is there any good deckbuilding tips out at the moment? I'm not going to have my hands on the product until the launch day, so I'll need to have my decks preplanned to quickly build them prior to the tournament.

Not that I have seen - haven't tried my hand at deckbuilding yet. The launch event should be a 1-core event, so that makes things easier depending on how you look at it (and if they stick to the rules). FFG put up some suggested starter decks for the Kiku Matsuri that are a good starting point.

Some interesting stuff out of a interview with the EU OP head.

http://l5rlcg.de/interview-mit-alex-watkins/

persona4celestia.jpg
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I was a little lost with some of the words in that interview. Kotei? 固定 as in a fixed point like 固定資産? What is Utz? Is it 打つ like to hit something?

Also I completely missed all the news about FFG's Genesys system. Given that it's been a steady evolution of their narrative dice from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay to Star Wars to now Genesys, I imagine that L5R RPG is going to use that system as well.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I was a little lost with some of the words in that interview. Kotei? 固定 as in a fixed point like 固定資産? What is Utz? Is it 打つ like to hit something?

Kotei (皇帝) is the name of the big L5R tournaments. "Utz!" is the first part of the chant that is usually done before tournaments (One person shouts "Utz!" and everyone present responds with "Banzai!". Repeat three times.) No connection with any actually Japanese word AFAIK. A card with that title was printed in 2003, but I'm not sure if that inspired the chant or if it was the other way around.

cckerberos on
    cckerberos.png
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I should have looked at the long ō sound. I went looking for some videos of chants with "Banzai!" in them... That is still a very charged word considering its actual meaning.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    I should have looked at the long ō sound. I went looking for some videos of chants with "Banzai!" in them... That is still a very charged word considering its actual meaning.

Yeah... I'm thinking locally I'm going to encourage using a different translation of the same concept, either English or Chinese. I don't want to put people off. There is a card named Banzai in the core box though.

Mats are up for sale, and the game is in "shipping" status.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/21/represent-your-clan/

They're good mats, Bront.

Also, Worlds sounds like it's going to be crazy. They added a extra Day 1 event for it.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Mats are up for sale, and the game is in "shipping" status.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/21/represent-your-clan/

Crane lady is waifu tier.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I was going to make a post about how we should post some lists for the L5R launch events and talk about what we're taking but there is literally no decision making in the Dynasty deck on a 30 card one core only format. I couldn't see for sure if you are allowed to spend influence in such a format but if you can, the conflict deck is the only place you can be interesting.

I'll probably be going to one on Saturday night and one on Sunday so at least I'll get to try a couple clans.

Yeah. One core is limiting, because to be legal at 30 cards you need roles in order to include pretty much all the neutrals.

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Yeah. One core is limiting, because to be legal at 30 cards you need roles in order to include pretty much all the neutrals.

You have to use every clan card and every neutral card in the dynasty deck. It does look like splashing a faction in the conflict deck is legal so that'll at least be interesting.

I'll probably run Crane/Phoenix one day and maybe Dragon/Someone? the other.