As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[ARK: Survival Evolved] All hail the gunasaurus

MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
edited October 2018 in Games and Technology
Server is now LIVE.

We’re playing on the Ragnarok map
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfaOogXlG3g

The basics of this map are about ¾ done, with a desert area coming in the next month or two. After that they plan to work on dungeons and underground. There are apparently plans for a very extensive tunnel system.

Here's a map from the most recent update. The area shaded red is still incomplete. The red dot in the NW is the location of the Market.
1BwhiM9.jpg?1

PA Server Details:
Ragnarok Server name: [PA] Dinosaurmageddon
Address: 173.234.25.138:27060
Aberration Server name: The UnderARK
Address: 173.234.25.138:27045
Password is the usual
Discord Server: https://discord.gg/jrUGGvM

The easiest way to access the server is to take the address, and add it to your favorites in Steams Server browser (under View > Servers)

DLC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9T_uPssVB4

Sometime in Oct we're supposed to get this new DLC where we explore a broken ARK. I will be adding a server to our cluster when this launches.

Server Settings
Reminder - over the course of the last year Wildcard has increased the ‘default’ rates for a few things, including taming. If I understand everything that has changed, this should put us back at the sweet spot we were running at last year. (perhaps a tiny bit faster)

Taming Speed = 5x
Everything involving babies (egg laying, growth, etc..) = 5x
XP = default
Harvesting = 2x
Wild Dino levels currently cap out at 210.

Imprinting settings are at default values. Because they scale based on the above settings, anything I changed would just make it harder to get a good imprint. Players are allowed to cuddle/etc… other players babies though.

Other settings of note:
  • Server is PVE
  • Structure placement collision is off, even vanilla stuff will clip into terrain now.
  • You can place S+ water intakes pretty much anywhere. Pretend you dug a well.
  • Given that Rare Flowers mechanics are a thing now… there’s not much point blocking flyer carry. You can now pick up critters with your fliers and drop them in a taming pen somewhere.
  • I’ve decided not to limit flyer taming, but I have left XP gain at default for now.
  • We’re on a cluster, but the obelisk decay timer has been greatly increased. Anything uploaded should last about a year.

Supply Drops and Loot
If I’ve done this correctly, Supply Drops will now also include currency and/or Element in amounts appropriate to the rarity of the drop. I have also added currency to the loot tables of Alphas, Giganotosaurus, Wyverns, and Bosses. Additionally, I’ve generally tweaked Supply Drops to be more useful overall.

Tek
In addition to adding Element to Supply Drops, TekBench will allow you to craft it for a moderate resource cost. It should also allow people to learn engrams without killing bosses. S+ also has some Tek stuff now as well. Between the two of them, we should be set for tek without needing to kill bosses. (although certain events will allow for easier boss killing)

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
MuddBudd on

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Events
    I’m doing something a bit different with events this time. Less big events (although those will still happen), and more weekend events. I’m adding a bit of lore here mostly because it is fun for me. I will post these to the thread every time a weekend boost happens.

The following is the first weekend event. Lore-wise, assume this happens to everyone their first night.

RwHczfp.jpg?1

As the sun sets on your first day on the island, you hear a distinct rattling noise coming down the beach towards your campsite. Startled, you look up to see a shadowy figure outlined against the darkening sky.

When she reaches your campfire, the flickering light reveals a woman in tribal garb, with a headpiece made from one of the islands great cats. You note that she does not have an implant. She carries a spear and nods toward a spot opposite you, and you gesture for her to sit. After she makes herself comfortable, she reaches into a pouch and throws a handful of powder, twigs, and leaves into the fire. It flares, and the light takes on a blue color. Strange smelling smoke curls up from the flames. You feel dizzy. She takes a small bone out of another pouch and places it on the edge of the fire.

“Your arrival in this land is unnatural, but such are the methods of the Builders. They have constructed this place for inscrutable purposes, and they have made it a harsh land.”

She throws another handful of herbs into the fire.

“What the Builders have never understood is that spirits spring forth from the land itself, constructed or not. The spirits of this place watch you, even now. Survive here, and they will reward your strength.” She sips something fragrant from a waterskin, then continues. “They have no love for the Builders, and so enjoy meddling in their plans.”

She stands and stares into the fire. The smoke envelops you, sending you into a peaceful slumber. When you awaken at dawn, you are safely inside your shelter.

Stepping outside, you find the fire burned out, and a spear stuck into the ground. In the distance, on a hill, you can see the outline of the Shaman against the rising sun.

Tied to the spear is the small piece of bone. Burned into it are the words…

The Beast Sleeps in Contentment

The letters still smolder with blue light, but give no heat. The ember-words last for several days before burning out, and you could swear that the beasts of the island are easier to befriend while it burns. Eventually, the bone fragment simply crumbles away, and your struggle for survival continues.

You are certain you will see the Shaman again.

MuddBudd on
    edited November 2017
    Economy
    I’ve installed some mods that allow players to buy and sell items.

jW75w20.jpg?1

Capitalism Currency
    -Capitalism Props
    -Capitalism Admin Table (Dino Skins, Holiday Items, etc...)
    -Capitalism NPC Trader (Resources, Crops, etc…)
    -Capitalism Player Trader (Allows players to sell things to each other)

So that players can earn currency and purchase things, I have built a marketplace near Viking Bay with a bunch of shops. (a Bazaar in the desert will also go up once the Ragnarok devs have unlocked the area) I’m leaving the prices mostly at the Capitalism defaults, which generally mean that prices for buying something are much higher than what you get for selling something.

Gaining Currency
    Players will be able to visit the market to sell basic resources such as Stone, Metal, Crops, Eggs, etc… Almost anything you can carry you can probably sell at the Market. Additionally, as I mentioned before, you will be able to gain small amounts from Supply Drops, Alphas, bosses, and cave chests. A select few large creatures like the Titanosaur will also drop significant amounts of currency. (Hint, the harder something is to kill, the more likely it has coins)

Spending Currency
    Players are able to buy decorative items, rare resources, skins for their dinos, holiday items, and more. For an absolute TON of coins, you can get a big angel statue that restores health, stamina, food, water, and acts as a spawn point. Additionally, you can use this currency at the Research Table, to create blueprints from your items, and to improve the quality of blueprints! This gets more expensive the better you make them, especially after you hit ascendant.

There’s also a limited selection of Eggs for sale at the market:
    -Stuff that I’ve restricted the spawn rate of, to make sure the kibble chain isn’t broken.
    -Dimetrodons, because screw having to keep something in water to get eggs.
    -Large stuff like Rex, Spino, etc… because kibble farming takes up enough space as it is, without everyone needing multiple Quetz.

For those of you who do have the larger creatures on farm, well, then you can probably make some cash undercutting the market price. My intent with eggs is not to make kibble trivial to make, just to sort of fill in the gaps and keep everyone from having to have the same everything.

Finally, players will also be able to build their own market stalls, which other players can visit and buy from. A good way to sell extra resources, or kibble, or even dinos! I recommend checking out the mod page for this so you know what you are able to do.

Example ideas for Player Traders:
    • Selling eggs or kibble from your barn.
    • Farming nearby metal nodes and putting the ingots up at a decent price so neighbors can buy them.
    • Breeding a line of useful creatures, and putting some up for sale. (Reminder, dinos can be neutered now, so you can make good bloodlines a commodity)

Why an Economy
    Because I want people to be able to do more of what they love. ARK is a fantastic game but there's a certain point where if you want to progress, you need access to rare resources, or underwater creatures, or specific drops, etc... With the addition of the Capitalism mods, if what you love more than anything is breeding dinos, there's a way for you to make money that way. If you like egg farming, or growing crops, or hunting deathworms, or whatever it is, now I have the tools to reward you for that thing you love. Then you can take those rewards and spend them on resources you might not have easy access to, and now the thing you love is letting you progress in ways it normally wouldn't.

MuddBudd on
    edited December 2017
    Mods:
    Here's the rest of the mods I've got so far. This is a longer list than we've had before, so bear with me if we end up with any weird conflicts.

You can subscribe to all our mods at once at this link:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1130587008

General Mods:
    Decorative Mods:
    We're going to have a lot more decor this time around, assuming that this doesn't impact server performance.
    I have tweaked some of the settings for these mods if I felt they affect balance, or if there are redundancies I’d rather not have. Ask here in the thread if you have questions about specific items.

MuddBudd on
    edited August 2017
    The Rules:
    As with last time, I am keeping this simple.

Rule #1 - Don't be a dick.
    Rule #2 - Don't make me need to come up with any more rules.

If I end up needing to clarify specific ways in which you shouldn't be a dick... then you already done fucked up.

MuddBudd on
    Here, have some launch trailers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fIAPcVdZO8
    This one was clearly supposed to be more of a patch trailer that got re-purposed because of the delay. But hey it has otters!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeXxRo6zxd8
    The original launch trailer. Reminder they've promised to make the physical goods available for sale at some point.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Raaaaddddddddsauce

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • KorhedronKorhedron Registered User regular
    Hey MuddBudd? You've done some great work right here I kind of want to reboot Ark again now. :) Best of luck on the new server, lads!

These are the stories of Dwarf Fortress. Legends have been forged there, and meticulousy gathered in one mighty hub: http://dfstories.com/start-here/
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Mods:
    Here's the rest of the mods I've got so far. This is a longer list than we've had before, so bear with me if we end up with any weird conflicts.
    Decorative Mods:
    We're going to have a lot more decor this time around, assuming that this doesn't impact server performance.
    I have tweaked some of the settings for these mods if I felt they affect balance, or if there are redundancies I’d rather not have. Ask here in the thread if you have questions about specific items.

I have to warn you that I've found the Bridges mod conflicts with a lot of critters. My therizino routinely gets stuck at the vertex where the incline of the bridge ends and the flat begins, and you need to walk diagonally and in circles to unstuck it.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    So, I haven't played servers much because when I played pvp I spawned in a cage and was promptly harvested for blood and poop. And when I played pve apparently my base wasn't good because people put signs around it saying stuff like "git gud or kill urself." My question is, do I need to go through and subscribe to all those mods or will they just download when I connect or something?

Edit: Also, NVidia released special "optimized" drivers for this game, so make sure to go into your settings and turn that shit the fuck off because holy balls did it make my game look like washed out shit.

Hevach on
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    My question is, do I need to go through and subscribe to all those mods or will they just download when I connect or something?

Either, kinda. It will download within the client when you connect but the game also has a tendency to throw errors when there's more than a handful to download. It's a lot more painless to go through the list and subscribe to them.

Hevach wrote: »
    My question is, do I need to go through and subscribe to all those mods or will they just download when I connect or something?

Either, kinda. It will download within the client when you connect but the game also has a tendency to throw errors when there's more than a handful to download. It's a lot more painless to go through the list and subscribe to them.

This. It will automatically download any you need when you first connect.

But given there are a lot of them this time, you could save yourself some time later by subscribing.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    It's also important because even after you subscribe, you also need to pop into the game and let it install the mods before the game will let you even play an MP server with those mods on them. At the amount of mods currently on the server, you might have to wait as long as a half an hour or more to let them all be installed by the game before you can even play the first time on the new server, so it's better to go get them now and pre-install them.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd

Didn't see this listed anywhere (or I am blind), but are you starting everyone from scratch, or are you allowing character/dinosaur downloads into the new world?

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
    Cluster means things can only be transferred to other worlds within the same cluster, not from outside. Everything is starting from scratch unless I missed something too.

BitTWist wrote: »
    MuddBudd

Didn't see this listed anywhere (or I am blind), but are you starting everyone from scratch, or are you allowing character/dinosaur downloads into the new world?

This is starting from scratch.

I am thinking I might add some basic metal tools for sale in the marketplace though, so that people can speed things up a little bit.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    BitTWist wrote: »
    MuddBudd

This is starting from scratch.

I am thinking I might add some basic metal tools for sale in the marketplace though, so that people can speed things up a little bit.

Ragnarok has some wooden crates scattered in a few places on the map, and they have a chance of dropping very basic primitive metal picks, axes, pikes, and swords. Crap if you can make your own, but a godsend to someone just starting out.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    Events post is done. I'll be posting more before each boost is turned on.

I am probably going to randomize them, so you might want to keep track of what each of them does, in case they come up again. There won't always be a description of the effects.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    So I just saw that ark finally is actually released.

And there is a single player version?

Wat?

The thingy on Steam indicated it is an actual story you play through and finish. Has anyone messed with it? Is it worth playing? Can you bump up all the sliders in that version too so it isn't god awful to tame and stuff? Is taming and stuff even worth it, as in is the story mode not something you'd bother actually hanging around in playing "normally"?

I'd check myself but I honestly don't have the space on my hard drive right now and don't want to figure out how to clear enough space for this absurdly large game in case it isn't really worth the time.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Wait, what's this about a single player story thing? Also looking at the store page, there's a season pass now?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    edited August 2017
    That's the first I've heard of a single player story. I think they might just mean defeating the bosses, reading all the explorer notes, and ascending.

They recently tweaked things so those playing single-player can still defeat the bosses, supposedly.

Re: Sliders
    Yes, in single player you can crank them up as high as you like, plus there is a 'Single-player mode' checkbox now that tweaks things to be easier as well.

MuddBudd on
    edited August 2017
    Here's the last few sets of patch notes.

Current Version: v267
    - New Creature: The Otter!
    - Endboss and Ascension.
    - Ice Wyvern remodel and they're now uploadable.
    - Official System Anti-Duping systems.
    v266
    - Ragnarok Hotfixes
    - Implemented initial upload timer for dupe prevention
    - Created blocking volumes for key areas in PvE servers (not enabled on Legacy Servers)
    - Rafts can be demolishable across all servers after a period of time.
    - Implemented new Host UI
    - Marked designated servers as Legacy, check the Legacy filter if you cannot find your Official PC Server.
    - Resolved 2 server crashes related to structure placement
    - Turrets can now shoot through ragdolls you are dragging
    - Fixed a rare issue where local profiles would sometimes corrupt
    - Primitive+ now has its own save directory

v265.5
    - Placing rafts now requires standing on solid ground (no dynamic structures either)
    - Fixed: as client While using tek leggings, attempting to super sprint and running out of element (or having none) causes camera to be stuck facing forward.
    - Fixed an issue where on client PC dragging directly onto the empty area within a folder would actually not put the item into that folder on the server (leading to a de-sync, when you'd re-enter the inventory you'd see the items at the root)
    - Dragging DIRECTLY onto Inventory Folders , local and remote, now puts the items into those folders (the exception is the 'up level' icon, doesn't do anything)
    - Transfer All To and From Inventories, in the root folder level, will now ignore items in subfolders of the inventory you're transfering out of.
    - Fixed: Pressing R1 to cycle snap points while mounted, caused camera to cycle through 1st and 3rd person view.
    - Fixed behavior of Text Input pop-up when using gamepad
    - Fixed: When creating a folder, it didn't show it unless you reopen the inventory, or press folder-toggle button.
    - Altered tamed Griffin fly speed when near targets to better attack them
    - Fixed a sideways platform building bug
    - Respawn / Fast Travel UI now has a bed search textbox
    - Fixed ScorchedEarth rocks having incorrect destruction mesh material
    - Fixed some third person camera interpolation jitters

v265.3
    - Ragnarok map fixes and addition of dual boss arena. Please note that this update is not backwards compatible, so it is very important that Unofficial Servers update to the latest version: 265.3
    - Fixed "Setting the UI General scale to the lowest makes it so you cannot drag items down into some hotkey bars."
    - Fixed "cant use escape or enter to close naming box after taming"
    - Added a ramp snap point on the inside of giant hatchframes
    - Dye UI: Double Clicking (also double pressing (A) button) on a color region now dyes it
    - Lowered dino HUD popup when looking at a titanoboa
    - Fixed area of TheCenter 'Lava Island' with improperly functioning dino spawns on servers
    - The Center resource gathering multiplier now matches that of The Island.

MuddBudd on
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Wait, what's this about a single player story thing? Also looking at the store page, there's a season pass now?

Yeah, it looks like a good deal.

Even if you already bought Scorched Earth, if they price the next two DLC the same, the pass will save you $10. More if you didn't own SE yet.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Good lord 106gb EDIT: Maybe it's time to get a second ssd. :rotate:

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Yeah, my hope was the game getting smaller as they optimized it. Apparently that isn't happening.

edited August 2017
    Heavy Heavy Ascension spoilers follow.

Includes images what the outside of the ARKs look like.

From Reddit, an explaination
    Earth suffered a catastrophic event that tainted the environment in some way (everything turned RED on the globe)
    • There are countless ARKs orbiting the now barren planet Earth
    • Each ARK is supported by giant TEK Mega-structures that maintain it and is what you find at the end of Ascension before Ascending
    • Each ARK appears to be a node in a peer-to-peer network surrounding Earth
    • At least one ARK suffered some cataclysm that destroyed it and its supporting TEK Mega-structures around it
    • Humanity has evolved into a new species called "Homo Deus" (most likely as a result of unnatural selection aka genetic engineering)
    • Homo Deus appears to be an incorporeal species
    • Homo Sapien is Extinct
    • Homo Deus is Endangered
    Logical Conclusion:
    "Homo Deus" created the ARKs with the intent to replenish it's population, saving its species, by evolving clones of "Homo Sapien" to ascend to become "Homo Deus".

-edit-

Found video

MuddBudd on
  • BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    Looks like a prestige system at the end.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
    edited August 2017
    It also heavily implies that at some point, we're going to go to that broken ARK.

I want to see one that looks like frigging Outlands from WoW and has microgravity.

MuddBudd on
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    @MuddBudd going above and beyond sir. Thank you for doing all this.

I'm bummed my PC just can't handle Ark anymore. It never really could play it and make it look very good.

Do we have a community of PS4 Ark players?

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837

Yeah, my hope was the game getting smaller as they optimized it. Apparently that isn't happening.

They've definitely optimized the code a good deal. My old computer can run it now (playable but not enjoyable) and my new computer can run it on epic, despite not being from outer space at all. I don't think they ever planned to optimize it for file size, unfortunately.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/ark_survival_evolved_will_get_directx_12_patch_this_friday/1
    This Friday Ark will begetting one of it's most important patches to date, a patch which will add the option to use DirectX 12 on Windows 10, which makes this game the first readily available game which supports Microsoft's new API.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH that's been in the patch notes for like a year.

BTW, their launch day appears to be chaos atm.

This is why we're not launching the new server today. (In addition to my being out of town until next Wed.)

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Not only is today official launch, but today is also the release of Ragnarok servers to Xbox (PS4 maybe also?). I haven't been playing myself lately, but one of my good work buddies who I was playing with on XBox in the past is still really into it. He and some of his clan have been eagerly anticipating Ragnarok servers and preparing for this for a while. Since everything is official on Xbox and you can server hop, they have a mass server transit plan ready to go.

I haven't heard from him yet tonight to know if there's chaos on the Xbox, but if the PC version is seeing chaos, I can only imagine that it is worse on console.

Console always felt less optimized to me, and server lag could get very bad at times.

I mean, we all knew release day would be a shit show, right?

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I mean, we all knew release day would be a shit show, right?

I just reinstalled ARK this morning when I heard that the game went full retail release.

It's only been 7 hours or so since the install completed...but Steam's already downloaded three additional updates to ARK.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    My Steam is bugged for ARK I think. It shows a pending update, but when I double-click the game, it lets me play it without forcing a download. I dunno what's going on.

Could be a mod update. Those don't seem to auto install for me, even on start.

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Watching some of those trailers... man this game has change a lot since I was into it. Maybe it's time to rebuild The Last Resort.

Such a time sink though. It just devoured hours and hours way back when.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    edited August 2017
    You can mitigate the time sink with sliders in single player or your own server. The sliders go to a lot of cheaty places, make stat ups huge, xp gains bigger, make yourself invincible, make dinos so weak you can take down a Titanosaur with a stone hatchet... About the only thing I never was able to cheat for messing-around purposes was making tamed dinosaurs stronger or more resistant without it making wild ones equally op.

For single player, I use a stack/weight mod, an .ini edit that increases engram points, a stat nerf for Gigantosaurs (have their post-tame stats in the wild, so still pretty nuts). For sliders, 10x resources, 5x taming, and Titanosaur eating enabled because... Hey, maybe someday, I like my mobile bronto base.

Hevach on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Moving the sliders is extremely important to the long term sanity of any ARK player that intends to get ANYTHING done.

Steam ID: Right here.
    I honestly do no understand why the default values are so awful. It simply is not fun playing on official servers where you cannot control those factors. Dino taming speed is the worst offender of all. There are plenty of other pretty bad things, but none of them are as bad as default dino tame speed.

Even when they had special event weekends on the official servers and had like 4x taming, it still felt too slow. This is a video game, not a job. I am not going to sit around for 16 hours feeding narcotics and meat/berries to a tame. I'm just not.

This discussion has been closed.