As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX West 2017 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Ther reason for removing the queue room was for much of PAX it was empty space and thought we could better utilize it. We did an experiment last year with this and it worked pretty well (barring rain) so we decided to do it again. As others have said, if your morning goal is anything in the WSCC, as you get close, follow the crowd, there will be lots of people guiding you to where to queue up. We actually have multiple morning queue spaces, and as they fill we go to the next one.

If your morning target is something in one of the other PAX venues (there are many) you should go to that building and there will probably be a queue just outside the relevant room you want.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • ansaryaansarya Registered User new member
    So I'm a disgusting, dirty, smoker. Where do I go to have a cigarette and how long should I expect it to take to get back in?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Besides out on the sidewalk, there's smoking areas inside of Freeway Park (directly adjacent to the WSCC 4F). So long as it's not in the morning when the queue to enter is lining up/filing in the building, I would not expect a wait.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Does the PAX XP email and the guidebook app email need to be the same for the app/pax xp to work? For various reasons, I almost never use the same email when registering for things, but given that it seems like the app is supposed to be linked to pax xp (though the button seems to have disappeared for a while now) I'm not sure what I should do. I already registered for pax xp but if needed I guess I can create another account for the app if I can't link the two together.

Also is my personalized link for pax xp literally the landing page url it sends me to after I finish registration?

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • DustyStarrDustyStarr Registered User regular
    My map reading skills are being kinda bad this morning X3 Could someone tell me where I would want to line up if I want Capcom to be my first stop?

• Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    DustyStarr wrote: »
    My map reading skills are being kinda bad this morning X3 Could someone tell me where I would want to line up if I want Capcom to be my first stop?

Capcom is on the near side (South) side of the Skybridge on the 4th floor. So the main line outside the merch area would be best. The other line is outside the annex and needs to go up 4 floors and then pops up on the North side of the Skybridge behind Bethesda.

• IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any more info on the Destiny Experience? I'm wondering if it's something that you're gonna have to line up first thing for or will be able to casually visit throughout the day similar to expo hall booths.

• KdawgKdawg Registered User new member
    Is there any chance the merch booths would be open on Thursday? It would be nice to get that done ahead of time.

• Wraith90Wraith90 Saskatoon, SkRegistered User regular
    No, main Merch will open at 10 am on Friday, sometimes Merch Lite opens earlier on Friday but no part of Pax is open before Friday morning besides registration/will call.

• RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Do we.... do we need a badge to be in the kitten room? S: I'm thinking of coming in early-ish Friday but won't have a PAX badge for that day. I know there are some areas (i.e., the lobby of the convention center itself, some parties) that don't require you to have a badge, and from what I'm understanding the ACT theater will be one of those areas, and that's where the kittens will be, and also I would not mind spending an entire day covered in kittens

operation adopt all the cats

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
    RiDE wrote: »
    Do we.... do we need a badge to be in the kitten room? S: I'm thinking of coming in early-ish Friday but won't have a PAX badge for that day. I know there are some areas (i.e., the lobby of the convention center itself, some parties) that don't require you to have a badge, and from what I'm understanding the ACT theater will be one of those areas, and that's where the kittens will be, and also I would not mind spending an entire day covered in kittens

operation adopt all the cats

The kitten room is in the ACT, so no.

• NeutralCNeutralC Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any more info on the Destiny Experience? I'm wondering if it's something that you're gonna have to line up first thing for or will be able to casually visit throughout the day similar to expo hall booths.

Here is some information just released from Bungies weekly update...

-Starting on Friday, September 1, we’ll be taking over the Paramount Theatre to bring Destiny 2 to PAX West. We have a whole lot of fun planned for everyone who attends, and this will be your last chance to play Destiny 2 early before we push it out to everyone on September 6. All you need is a PAX badge and you’re good to go.

Balcony seating is reserved for panel discussions. We aren’t revealing big Destiny 2 news, but we do have some fun topics to discuss for those looking to get insight from our studio and the community we serve.

Noon – FRIDAY – September 1
    Leading the Destiny Community
    Bungie Community Managers are not the only voices that serve the player. The Destiny Community benefits from a network of leaders with audiences all their own. Learn all about the challenges that content creators face as they spin up videos, podcasts, and streams that entertain gamers when they’re away from their controllers. Hear war stories from the front lines of the Internet. Score some tips on how you can begin that adventure yourself.

3PM – FRIDAY – September 1
    Bringing the Guardians of Destiny to Life
    Cosplayers take the act of becoming legend quite literally. PAX always brings some of the finest costume creators into the spotlight. Watch them strut their stuff in suits of armor (and capes) of their own creation. Meet the artists behind the masks. Cheer for your favorite heroes from the world of Destiny. This is not a contest. Every Guardian who represents the Cosplay Community will be a winner.

Noon – SATURDAY – September 2
    Forging a New Destiny Weapon
    Before a weapon makes it into your hands, it passes through many of ours. It takes many creative disciplines at Bungie to fill the gun rack. See the creation of Destiny weapons from the first vision to the final tuning. Learn how Concept Artists, 3D Modelers, Animators, and Designers forge weapons that are worthy of heroes. Come and meet the gunsmiths at Bungie that keep your vaults filled with wonderful armaments. Witness a creative regression for some of the most iconic weapons in Destiny’s brief history.

3PM – SATURDAY – September 2
    Building Better Worlds in Destiny
    Before you explore the worlds of Destiny, they are built from the ground up to reflect an artistic vision. Learn how Concept Artists and Environment Artists work hand in hand to create the places where your characters fight for their survival. See some of the earliest visions of the worlds you’ve come to know, and how they influenced every step of our creative process. Get a glimpse at the tools we use to build better worlds.

1PM – SUNDAY – September 3
    Destiny PlayTest War Stories
    Before Guardians can face each other in competition, we wage countless wars against each other at Bungie. Our playtest labs are arenas where studio heroes are born and the games you play evolve. Learn from the combatants about how the battle for the best idea rages inside our walls. When shots are fired, everything is up for grabs: The maps you know, the modes you master, and the way every Character and Weapon is powerful.

As you can see we have a good mix of Bungie and community lined up to share stories and experiences with you. Join us to ask some questions or to tell some stories all your own. We can’t wait to see you there!

...I am hoping there will be more information before hand like they did last year with the exclusive merch.

• LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2017/08/25/the-wordsman

Merch banner went up in the most recent news post.

i-QhCPgSb-X3.jpg
    i-wGZf5fr-X3.jpg
    3g6fxviw0vt2.jpg

Lazorz on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    hot off the internets
    new pax websites!
    http://paxsite.com
    http://west.paxsite.com

• sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    hot off the internets
    new pax websites!

Spiffy!

• BlitzGirl41BlitzGirl41 Registered User regular
    This is going to be my first year going (only going on Labor Day, due to the luck of the draw. Didn't get into ticket queue early enough due to having no notice at all when tickets were going on sale...), and the only cons I've had any experience with are ECCC and SakuraCon. Do we enter/check in at the WSCC, like those other cons do? I will try my best to get there as early as I can, and want to make sure I'd be entering at the right location. PAX seems to be spread out over many more buildings downtown, so I feel overwhelmed.

• sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
    This is going to be my first year going (only going on Labor Day, due to the luck of the draw. Didn't get into ticket queue early enough due to having no notice at all when tickets were going on sale...), and the only cons I've had any experience with are ECCC and SakuraCon. Do we enter/check in at the WSCC, like those other cons do? I will try my best to get there as early as I can, and want to make sure I'd be entering at the right location. PAX seems to be spread out over many more buildings downtown, so I feel overwhelmed.

If you already have your badges, no check in required! Just head straight to where you want to go. Exhibit hall and some panels are in the WSCC, other panels are sprawled out across hotels downtown.

• BlitzGirl41BlitzGirl41 Registered User regular
    sedirox wrote: »

If you already have your badges, no check in required! Just head straight to where you want to go. Exhibit hall and some panels are in the WSCC, other panels are sprawled out across hotels downtown.

I was able to find the schedule via a thread here, so I now know that I won't bother with panels or other such things. I foresee myself spending most of my time in the WSCC looking at merch and cosplay.

• The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    hot off the internets
    new pax websites!

:-/
    I have issues with blue light, having a monitor as almost solid blue is hard for me to read...
    Gotta go to South page to orient myself.

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • CodextehFishCodextehFish Vancouver, CanadaRegistered User regular
    First off: new website was a surprise. Second: Holy crud only six days until West :S

Attendee:
    Prime: '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15
    West: '16, '17
    East: '14, '15, '16, '17
    South: '15, '16, '17, '18
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    hot off the internets
    new pax websites!
    :-/
    I have issues with blue light, having a monitor as almost solid blue is hard for me to read...
    Gotta go to South page to orient myself.
    https://justgetflux.com/ might help you out with blue light removal. I use it at night personally.

• z0raz0ra Registered User regular
    So I broke my toe the week before pax :(
    How hard will it be to hobble around on crutches you think? I spend a lot of time in the expo halls, I never really noticed anyone with crutches before..

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    z0ra wrote: »
    How hard will it be to hobble around on crutches you think? I spend a lot of time in the expo halls, I never really noticed anyone with crutches before..

First make sure you stop by the Will Call area and get a medical badge. Several exhibitors usually have a special line set up so medical badges can get in and out without having to wait in a big line. Others might tell you to come back in whatever the average line time is so you can go rest somewhere while waiting. It won't be easy getting around, but at least there are systems set up to make it not as bad.

IhtGIyi.png
  • z0raz0ra Registered User regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    z0ra wrote: »

First make sure you stop by the Will Call area and get a medical badge. Several exhibitors usually have a special line set up so medical badges can get in and out without having to wait in a big line. Others might tell you to come back in whatever the average line time is so you can go rest somewhere while waiting. It won't be easy getting around, but at least there are systems set up to make it not as bad.

Thanks, I'll definitely look into that!

• Nathan WindNathan Wind Colorado Springs, CORegistered User regular
    What is the deal with the PAX Guidebook app and PAX XP? I've downloaded the app twice and each time an update is immediately applied that removes the XP feature from the sidebar. The PAX XP registration email and the mailer with my passes mention using the guidebook app to track your XP.

PAX Prime 14, 15
    PAX West 16, 17
    My Rig: I7 7700K, Aorus K5, 32GB RipJaws V, Samsung 960 PCIe 256 & 500, Zotac 1080Ti
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    What is the deal with the PAX Guidebook app and PAX XP? I've downloaded the app twice and each time an update is immediately applied that removes the XP feature from the sidebar. The PAX XP registration email and the mailer with my passes mention using the guidebook app to track your XP.

I've heard that the PAX XP button shows up later. I don't know why. I hear that last year it wasn't until later on Friday.

edited August 2017
    I have heard of something called the Playstation Experience App or something like that, does anyone know how it works and has used it? Also, is it only for the Playstation booth or does it also include Square-Enix and such?

Side note; has SE announced what they are bringing game wise? I know of the panels, but that is about it.
    UPDATE - Nvm, they just released said info.

NeutralC on
  • Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    NeutralC wrote: »
    I have heard of something called the Playstation Experience App or something like that, does anyone know how it works and has used it? Also, is it only for the Playstation booth or does it also include Square-Enix and such?

Side note; has SE announced what they are bringing game wise? I know of the panels, but that is about it.

its an app that allows you to sign up for slots in certain demos. I did it last year for Zero Dawn Horizon and playstation VR. According the app, spots open thur (i assume for Friday appointments)

Rhea_starstorm on
  • zoidisticzoidistic Registered User new member
    Hello I was just wondering what time we can start lining up in front of the paramount? Where is the line forming in front of the paramount?

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    zoidistic wrote: »
    Hello I was just wondering what time we can start lining up in front of the paramount? Where is the line forming in front of the paramount?

The line will form from the entrance, the road next to it will be closed as it usually is for queue space, and maybe some other stuff. As far as when, its a public sidewalk, you can get there as early as your sleep schedule and vagrancy laws allow. If your question is more for others that are hyped asking when they are queuing up, that is probably better in another thread.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Will there be pinball?

• ThaangThaang Registered User new member
    How do I sign up for the Rocket League PC tourney on Saturday?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    Will there be pinball?

Ground Kontrol will definitely be bringing pinball tables for Classic Arcade
    Thaang wrote: »
    How do I sign up for the Rocket League PC tourney on Saturday?

All tournaments have day-of signups at their respective departments that open when the show starts.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    Will there be pinball?

And of course the nearby bar, Shorty's, has several pinball machines too.

• ddt58ddt58 Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Just a weather heads up, which I thought might be useful after last year's rainy weather. The forecast for the Labor Day weekend in Seattle is upper 70's to mid 80's, with not a hint of precipitation. Unlike a lot of places, the hottest part of the day tends to be later in the afternoon. Bring sunscreen and sunglasses, not umbrellas.

While this isnt quiet PAX related Id thought I should go ahead an ask your thoughts on this. Im going to this Bioshock Party down at the Great Hall at Union Station which is several blocks down from my hotel and Ive heard it can get rather sketchy; what do you think would be the safest method of getting there and back?

• NyanNhanNyanNhan Registered User regular
    While this isnt quiet PAX related Id thought I should go ahead an ask your thoughts on this. Im going to this Bioshock Party down at the Great Hall at Union Station which is several blocks down from my hotel and Ive heard it can get rather sketchy; what do you think would be the safest method of getting there and back?

That's a great question. I would like to extend that question to the Showbox in SoDo (Riot Games Party). If any locals can provide feedback regarding "sketchy-ness" of the general vicinity around the time frame of late night and recommended travel method. I (we) would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

• Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular

from what ive heard the street car goes that way. Also I assume there will be large herd of paxers heading that way, myself included so use the buddy system.

• davobahdavobah Registered User regular
    For the Bioshock party, go into the bus tunnel and head south. Get off at the last tunnel stop (the International District, AKA the I.D.) and Union Station is right there.

ewk6x7oeylli.png
  • ddt58ddt58 Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    The International District light rail and bus tunnel station is right next to Union Station.

ddt58 on
This discussion has been closed.