As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

StarCraft: Rumors of Starcraft 3 where as real as a full night's sleep.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I go one week without playing, and suddenly my standard opening is a mess -_-

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Finally finished the final mission in LotV. Pretty anticlimactic to be honest. Another protect this thing for 20 minutes is exactly how WoL ended. Although I did open some epilogue missions that will hopefully tie up all the loose ends.

Edit: I got a good laugh out of one of the loading screen tips saying to build a variety of units to counter their weaknesses. I literally went deathball Stalkers on just about every map. Lol Protoss.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    In WoL, nothing but marines is surprisingly effective, with a sprinkling of siege tanks.

Campaign complete! Now on to these Nova missions I bought a while back when they were on sale.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I really liked the Nova missions, I just felt like they ended kind of abruptly or each individual mission was a little short. But Nova is pretty beast.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I finally got around to playing Zagara in Co-op. I forget why I left her alone originally, but it was definitely a struggle getting her started. However, even by just level 8 or so, her forces had already transformed into a hell of a beast. Anticipating air targets and massing upgraded scourges is just hilarious. The pirates in the Void Shard mission, the Shuttles in Void Launch (drop in expendables to distract the vanguard, then just annihilate the shuttles), the void thrashers. You have to be careful not to burn through resources faster than you can replenish your army, but even with mildly synergistic allies like Nova, missions like the temple defense were still a cake walk.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I finally got around to playing Zagara in Co-op. I forget why I left her alone originally, but it was definitely a struggle getting her started. However, even by just level 8 or so, her forces had already transformed into a hell of a beast. Anticipating air targets and massing upgraded scourges is just hilarious. The pirates in the Void Shard mission, the Shuttles in Void Launch (drop in expendables to distract the vanguard, then just annihilate the shuttles), the void thrashers. You have to be careful not to burn through resources faster than you can replenish your army, but even with mildly synergistic allies like Nova, missions like the temple defense were still a cake walk.

having gotten her to 15 i still don't really like her as much as the other zerg options. i like kerrigan's army composition the most, but i like zagara as a hero. i think it just comes down to there are so many ways for mass amounts smaller/weaker units to have a super bad day. maybe i should try her again though, she was the first hero i dove into so maybe coming back will be better

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    ladder reset! gonna do my placements after I catch up on GSL

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Apparently the warchest to increase the prize pool has a cap of $200k and the rest is to pay for production costs. Related, people seem to be upset about this. Not knowing why that particular dollar amount was chosen I feel like I can't come down on one side or the other.

Anyone know anything further about this?

Apparently the warchest to increase the prize pool has a cap of $200k and the rest is to pay for production costs. Related, people seem to be upset about this. Not knowing why that particular dollar amount was chosen I feel like I can't come down on one side or the other.

That all makes sense to me. If eSports is to survive, it will need funding from the fans. It is only logical after all since sponsors will only throw in so much and there is no ticket/concession money to get.

As for the campaign, I'm doing the Nova missions now:
    Just finished the second mission with the jump jets and spider mines. Pretty fun tower defense style game. Story is eh, but whatever. A lot of time was put into this with the cinematic and all so I appreciate that. Having more fun with this in only two maps than the entire Protoss campaign which was a snoozefest.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    I just started the Void campaign (yes, a bit late) and man, the cinematics have been improved a lot.

What used to be obvious in-game engine models animated and zoomed in have a lot more effects added on them that makes them feel like real cinematics. At times I can't tell if it was a purely CGI rendered cinmatic or in-game engine models.

Then I see a bit of pixelation in the shadows and that gives it away.

Still, pretty impressed.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    In case some of you aren't in the SC Remastered thread.
    Some of your teen crushes will be playing a few showmatches in two days!

MMMig wrote: »
    There's going to be an SC Remastered showmatch in two days!

twitch.tv/starcraft_kr is one place it'll stream

The only name missing is Nal_rA

Kibong (match 1 on the left) works for Blizz now.
    I hung out with him when I visited KR ages ago. Cool guy. His claim to fame was getting nuked on a pro game vs Boxer.

I can't believe they got XDsGrrrrr! Damn that takes me back!
    The rest are the old gods. Super legit!

65wre24kfsta.jpg
    tyr2ag7o6wd3.jpg
    xt73u0fbmvb6.jpg
    4vtx4jlld1il.jpg

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    edited July 2017
    The event starts tomorrow Sunday at 7 AM EST! (today?)
    Turns out the last match is a 1v1v1 round robin, not 3 FFA. :(
    Schedule:

Sunday, July 30
    Starts 8:00 p.m. KST | 4:00 a.m. PDT | 7:00 a.m. EDT | 1:00 p.m. CEST
    Broadcast Details:

Stream: Twitch.tv/starcraft
    Casted by Wolf and Tasteless
    Match 1: TheBOy vs Grrrr
    Match 2: BoxeR vs YellOw
    Match 3: Reach vs NaDa
    Match 4: Bisu vs Flash vs Jaedong (Round Robin)

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra

You'd think it was the other way around... That production costs could be locked in and excess funds would go for the reward. Interesting

If enough people buy the warchests they probably don't want to set a precedent again of high paying tournaments because starcraft just isn't as popular as it used to be, compared to pretty much any other blizzard IP or other things like LoL.

Variable wrote: »

You'd think it was the other way around... That production costs could be locked in and excess funds would go for the reward. Interesting

that's kinda what's prompting the "uproar" (i dunno if it is that prevalent). the complaint is that the player's are the draw, the production costs are sorta fixed so the excess should be used to draw more viewers in with BIG NUMBER PRIZES

While everyone is super excited about the remaster this got tweeted out

I really do want to play more SC2 but I don't feel as though I have the time at the moment to do it "right". I don't feel comfortable just flailing stound making stuff. I want a regimented plan and I'm not confident I can devote the time to completing that currently.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    above mentioned major design changes

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/20975163

There's no real highlights, there's so much to sift through that you should just read the thing

However this caught my eye
    Widow Mine:

In an effort to reduce certain game ending moments, we want to try making Widow Mines easier to clean up. They will now be revealed when their weapon is reloading, even if they are still burrowed. This should make cleaning up unattended Widow Mines much easier, while still allowing the Widow Mine to perform its splash damage role if properly set up with a Terran army or used defensively.

Widow Mines are now revealed while Sentinel Missile is on cooldown.

It looks like they are making defending easier, trying to extend the middle game, and just shaking up army compositions in general. I cant say i really hate any of the decisions except the making infested terran zergs anti air, like that isnt going to work at all. I will say terran might be looking a tad bit too synergistic on the mech side, but i havent had a chance to play it yet.

Also, had they announced those changes earlier i might have actually gone for some of those skins/loot chests they were selling like 2 weeks ago.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    It also looks like they're trying to tone down anything that can end the game in a few seconds, like making Widow mine's weaker, making parasitic bomb no longer stack, and reducing the effectiveness of disruptors

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Seems like an interesting decision to do all this stuff to make SC2 "easier" to play just as SC remastered comes out.

That's a lot to parse. Not that I'd have anything intelligent to say about it anyway. I'm pretty excited to play more starcraft 2 though

I'm down to try any of em out but yeah I have trouble predicting how exactly this will change the game.

except no more toss forgetting about mines in their mineral lines while they reload and get off a sweet shot a minute+ later. and that's fine with me.

• CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Yeah, seems like they tried to get rid of a lot of really frustrating things where minor mistakes can have huge impacts on the game.

edited August 2017
    Artosis is not a fan of the Observer change.
    “While we don’t want to make Protoss ability gameplay any more complicated we wanted to try making Observers more useful for ladder players. Currently Observers are selected with the select all army button (F2 by default) which can often bring Observers out of position and to their untimely demise. While we’d like to keep observers in this selection, we are considering adding the ability to ‘deploy’ your observer for increased vision range in exchange for being unable to move."
    Let me rewrite this one -
    “We noticed that people are bad at StarCraft. Many players have developed bad habits and are too lazy to fix them, so we are going to make those bad habits less bad.”

As a turtley macro player, I’m very excited to have 25% more vision on my Observers. This isn’t the right reason to give me that, though. I disagree with the change, but more so with the stated reason for the change. If you want to use the “easy button” to play StarCraft, then that’s a drawback you should have to deal with. Learn to play more cleanly and you will lose less Observers.

Same opinion on the Overseer change which is exactly the same.

Dhalphir on
    I only read the change and didn't see their reasoning... yeah that's not the best reason. I am not huge on that change but that's only because I think observers are already crazy good at what they do, they don't need to be better. and I hadn't even put together that the stationary setting would mean the all-army button wouldn't call em.

maybe they'll change their mind on that one.

edited August 2017
    While those comments are true, is it really the "eat button"? Is gameplay changed that significantly by this minor addition?

WingedWeasel on

I gotta admit when I saw him get all big and stuff I was mightily intrigued.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    Dude, he ate a colossus! Whoa!

thats what she said

what about karax/swann for this week's mutator @CareerKnight ? i figure karax can keep both alive early on until the drill gets active and then the repair beam let's swann cover for karax so he can transition into units

• CareerKnightCareerKnight Registered User regular
    Might work

edited August 2017
    just got promoted to diamond for the frist time

feels pretty good

ravagers are my favorite unit i think

edit: as an aside, apparently destiny 2 shows up as starcraft 2 when inside SC2. i was trying to figure out what "the crucible" was in SC2 until i saw the b.net friends list

WingedWeasel on
    Was playing mutator coop with careerknight last night and wow is the current one a kick in the balls. It requires way crisper execution than most. That being said I've been exceptionally lazy about my builds. 99.9% of coop can be done virtually on auto pilot. Especially once you get masteries influencing things.

Is there a resource out there that shows build time and unit costs for the different commanders? Sure o could copy builds from YouTube and I probably will to some extent, but I'd like to try to discover some on my own.

Unfortunately without an out of game resource you are probably pressuring your teammate as a result of experimenting. plus, lower difficulties change the game speed which disrupts timings

i'm really loving dehaka and all the other monsters. what's strange is he can devour hybrid. typically commander abilities had reduced or no effect on hybrid so that's kind of a big deal. even those gigantic hulking black adn red ones go down the gullet. he is more fragile than other hero based commanders and he needs to earn his powers but he is a monster once he is leveld up.

one drawback is that his army is super duper gas heavy and the not-ravagers and whatever the zergling upgrade is called (ravasaurs?) end us cutting your army size in half. i'm not real impressed with the ravasaurs currently but i am often floating like 4k minerals by the end of a game so maybe i should just get a shitton of lings i dunno.

the top panel clan leaders are all interesting and pretty strong. overall A+

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I tried Dehaka last night myself. He's pretty fun! I am confused by his "for experienced players" label since he seems pretty idiot proof. I am good evidence of this. His build order is super simple and his call ins are really powerful so they can cover up any major mistakes.

I really love that when Dehaka hits max level it plays a cheesy 1950s-esque musical cue.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
    Iblis wrote: »
    I tried Dehaka last night myself. He's pretty fun! I am confused by his "for experienced players" label since he seems pretty idiot proof. I am good evidence of this. His build order is super simple and his call ins are really powerful so they can cover up any major mistakes.

I really love that when Dehaka hits max level it plays a cheesy 1950s-esque musical cue.

Yeah the sound effects are awesome. I think Dehaka is labeled the way he is because he is surprisingly fragile. Ive found it often is worth just letting him croak though, you can heal up faster by feeding him drones and then burrowing back out sometimes. Additionally, you destroy half your own army can make things interesting.

Overall I've found him incredibly gas heavy. I've tried to lean more on lings and ravasaurs but I think you really want to get to his upgraded ultras I didn't realize they AA at first.

Also people aren't trolling his lings can really harvest resources. They can't interact with mission objectives (like the lava one for example).

• IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I think he also has a six-million dollar man inspired sound effect on his jump. And yeah, it's not a big deal if you lose him since he can just wolf down a bucket of drones to get back into the fight.

He does require a lot of gas. I build his extractors and man them pretty damn fast and my first priority on my expansion is doing the same. I actually think I need to spam more zerglings though. I tend to have a lot of pop cap I don't use because of gas restraints when I should really just pump out more production facilities and just start mass producing zerglings to drown the enemy with all those minerals I'm not using. I'm only like... level five with him so I can't get the tyrranozors, though I am quite intrigued!

Neat that the zerglings can harvest resources, might have to have some of them do that while I'm still pumping out drones before the first big objective push.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
    i hit 15 with him the other day, but haven't actually tried his masteries yet. his last one has my interest, but i am not sure exactly how itll end up in practice