As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Camp Comic] Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - Likes and Dislikes

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2017 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - Likes and Dislikes

Likes and Dislikes

Likes and Dislikes

http://www.campcomic.com/comic/460

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    Doctor Duck returns!

I still have my wonderful first issue.

• Options
    JermsJerms Registered User regular
    <hamster rubbing intensifies>

• Options
    SkizzSkizz Registered User regular
    Deep down, aren't we all sitting in a trophy, holding a Doctor Duck lunchbox and cuddling a rodent?

• Options
    motorfireboxmotorfirebox Registered User regular
    He left the lunch. I am dying, here. This is murder and you're going to go to jail.

• Options
    xUsakoxUsako Registered User regular
    This strip kinda makes it look like kleptomania... But does that work with stealing humans too? o.o

• Options
    He left the lunch. I am dying, here. This is murder and you're going to go to jail.

I know. I laughed so hard at the lunch still being there.

• Options
    kram1032kram1032 Registered User regular
    Does a picture of a cat count as a cat? If so, I found the cat.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    kram1032 wrote: »
    Does a picture of a cat count as a cat? If so, I found the cat.

Starting with the Brian flashbacks, the hidden cat in all flashback strips have been objects in the shape of or with a cat on them.
    Of course, I think the Brian flashbacks were the first backstory comic to not have panels at camp at all (and there was only one like that, I think).

Edit: that was a complicated way of saying that no camp panels means the hidden cat is an object in the shape of or with a picture of a cat on it instead of a feral cat.

briguy on
  • Options
    CandlewhisperCandlewhisper Registered User regular
    Damn it, this is getting me right in the heart.

If this was an adult character, all messed up and psychotic, it'd be easy to just see that he is the villain of the piece: an abductor and evil fellow in need of prison.

As it's a child though, it's someone who has deep seated psychological problems, which look to be borne from a need for attachment, which in turn may have come from emotional neglect. To cap it off? The parents' solution is to neglect their neglected and damaged kid further, and abandon him in this camp.

This comic has got me right in the feels. I just want to pick up this kid from the camp, formally adopt him, let him know that not all grown-ups are awful people, and give him back his damn carpet sample.

• Options
    JReynoldsJReynolds Registered User regular
    Also a bit of foreshadowing: one of the lunchboxes that Neiman didn't take has a picture of soon-to-be-fellow-camper Dani! on it.

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Maybe Neiman… deserves to be at the camp?

• Options
    poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    This reminds me of one of the special needs kids I had on my bus last year.

• Options
    dwtdwt Registered User regular
    (For the interested, Dani's story is at: http://campcomic.com/comic/214)

• Options
    BrobBrob Registered User regular
    Totally want a Doctor Duck lunchbox now! It says a lot that he emptied the contents of it before taking off with it.

• Options
    Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    The darkness just keeps getting deeper and deeper and there's no light in sight. Thwarted dark desire in a child is a frightful plant whose blossoming you should fear more than Death.

• Options
    Android 21 3/7Android 21 3/7 Registered User regular
    @Candlewhisper Not saying your sentiment or suggested course of action is wrong, but I think the issue was that Neiman likes more things than just his carpet sample. When the parents told him to go outside, they didn't take his carpet sample from him. In fact, if I were in his parents' place, I wouldn't know how to help this kid beyond getting him psychological therapy and even then, I wouldn't be confident in my ability to mitigate his problem. Not saying that their dumping him at Camp Weedonwancha is right. Dumping him on a psychologist for an hour or so a week is entirely different from abandoning him to Weedonwantcha forever, but I can at least understand the cluelessness and helplessness they might be feeling.

• Options
    Jr. Mithrandir Jr. Mithrandir Registered User regular
    One thing I really admire about this comic is the way that it makes you feel sympathy for all the characters without shying away from how weird and disturbing their behavior can be.

• Options
    SharebearSharebear Registered User new member
    Not forgetting the time you tried to MURDER them with a falling tree

• Options
    SargeSarge Registered User regular
    I like how there's a cartoon cat on one of the lunchboxes so that there's a kitty in this cartoon even though it's a flashback.

• Options
    pjfdpjfd Registered User new member
    Haven't we all seen a trophy and just wanted to stick our butt in it while rubbing a hamster on our face?

• Options
    Sensei Le RoofSensei Le Roof Registered User regular
    I don't think this is kleptomania. He's not stealing for the thrill of stealing. In his mind, I don't think he even sees it as stealing, more like "I want the thing so I'm taking it".

• Options
    BigjagCKBigjagCK Registered User new member
    Just now created an account so I can say that the hamster is SO CUTE!

• Options
    julesm101julesm101 Registered User regular
    Where can I find the Doctor Duck strip!?!

• Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    So, in Neiman's flashback, the only things with colour are his "likes" - the hamster, the trophy, the lunchbox, the carpet sample (himself). And, in the last strip, his mum was in colour too,

• Options
    CandlewhisperCandlewhisper Registered User regular
    Good spot Showsni, I never would have spotted that. So clever!

I really hope mum doesn't go Sepia in the next strip, seeing as she's about to send him away...

• Options
    julesm101 wrote: »

http://doctorduckcomics.blogspot.com

• Options
    AmishElvisAmishElvis Registered User regular
    I love how the little hamster is maintaining his hamster dignity.

• Options
    Laika ClementineLaika Clementine Registered User regular
    I agree with Android 21-some people do what they think is best for their kids even if it's extreme or has everlasting trauma on the kid. They don't do it out of cruelty but they just don't know the best way to deal with their kid's issues so they become desperate. Common problem of a lot of parents who first learn that their child has an issue they cannot solve immediately or with ease.

Also loving the hampster and the Dani lunchbox! I wonder if there's more to Neiman's backstory....can't wait!

• Options
    0z700z70 Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Anyone else having flashbacks to their parents saying that they were going to have you taken away to a rehabilitation camp, only to have their step-father tell them to "stop crying, they want thousands of dollars and you're not worth it!"?

0z70 on
  • Options
    briguy wrote: »
    julesm101 wrote: »

http://doctorduckcomics.blogspot.com

Also this is the callback from earlier in the comic.
    http://campcomic.com/comic/bunk

• Options
    Great UlcerGreat Ulcer Registered User regular
    Oh hey, a Dani lunchbox!