As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Jobs]: The Reason People Are Stuck In Airports

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    There are three ways a document can close in our system: Cancellation, Goods Receipt, or Supply Discrepancy Report. Basically don't want it anymore, we got it, or yo this shit is lost.

We needed a bunch of orders cancelled because important reasons, which we talked to the supplier and get confirmed were canceled on their end, but we couldn't cancel them manually in our system because stupid SAP reasons. Which means we had to put in a ticket to Utterly Moronic Army SAP System to get them closed.

Utterly Moronic Army SAP System just closed the ticket by posting Goods Receipt all of the orders.

This a BAD.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Even apart from the political implications, it's a bloody stupid slogan for a corporation. Internal or not.

It's the, "You'd be really sexy if you lost some weight" of slogans.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    Even apart from the political implications, it's a bloody stupid slogan for a corporation. Internal or not.

It's the, "You'd be really sexy if you lost some weight" of slogans.

Yeah come to think of it, negging is TOTALLY in the average corporation's motivational playbook

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    The guy who's cubicle is across from mine's placard says he is a Quality Engineer, but the only thing I've ever seen or heard him do is be on the phone complaining to IT. At some point dude we have to explore the possibility that it's user error.

I seriously have no idea what this guy is supposed to be accomplishing but he sure as hell ain't getting it done. Also listening to someone completely tech ignorant bitch at IT for hours on end may result in me forcibly recompiling his face.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Weaver wrote: »
    So amazon bought whole foods and I guess our stock tanked because people are idiots that didn't know there's already like seven ways to get bespoke asparagus water delivered?

what kind of maniac drinks asparagus water?

mcp on
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    So amazon bought whole foods and I guess our stock tanked because people are idiots that didn't know there's already like seven ways to get bespoke asparagus water delivered?

Someone who wants bad smelling pee quickly.

Someone who wants bad smelling pee quickly.

Gotta get a drug test and I hate the lab techs

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I forgot you guys have drug tests for employment

The most fucked up thing, seriously

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

The stock market is stupid. On the flip side Amazon is generating a ton of value for prime by integrating whole foods. Other grocery chains should be concerned. If nothing else that Amazon is rapidly approaching monopoly status. A few more years of physical stores shutting their doors and we'll be there.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I just wanna mention that I helped a customer yesterday whose first name was Goku.

It's the little things in life that make me happy.

IKknkhU.gif
    Solar wrote: »

Honestly, it's nowhere near my top of the list for fucked up things about the American job market.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

I misread this as 'enjoyment' and was like, man, people are really kinky these days

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    I just wanna mention that I helped a customer yesterday whose first name was Goku.

It's the little things in life that make me happy.

And allow me to pop your bubble by pointing out that name is going to be more common in coming years.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    The other day I was scanning something and there was a person with the last name of Balls

Also we have an attorney named Richard Bone

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

The stock market is stupid. On the flip side Amazon is generating a ton of value for prime by integrating whole foods. Other grocery chains should be concerned. If nothing else that Amazon is rapidly approaching monopoly status. A few more years of physical stores shutting their doors and we'll be there.

In all of the years of doom forecasting for book stores thanks to Amazon, the only ones that have closed near me are multiple Borders. Grocery stores represent a much larger market that should see even less disruption from Amazon. They're not approaching monopoly status in anything, anytime soon.

I used to work with a Harry Boner. He specifically preferred going by Harry. Super nice guy.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    The other day I was scanning something and there was a person with the last name of Balls

I hope they both make partner.

Elvenshae wrote: »

Bone & Balls, Attorneys at Law is a law firm I would definitely consider.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I hope they split off and form their own law firm

"Balls & Bone: When You Need Something Hard, Go For The Whole Package"

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

Balls & Bone, Attorneys at law: We stick it to the competition

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Balls & Bone, Attorneys at Law: When You Need a Lawyer, We've Got a Penis Joke.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    At my work the AD account name scheme is first initial + last name, unless it causes a duplicate, in which case it's first initial, first 4 letters of last name + sequence number.

Today i came across a guy whose ID started with 'abloo' so in my headcanon he's a whiner.

steam_sig.png
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular

If it has 35% alcohol...
    spargel_klare.jpg
    I tried it once and it wasn't good

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Balls & Bone: At Your Service

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Anybody else in chemistry-related fields heard about the upcoming THF shortage?

For a moment I got THF mixed up with THC and thought this was a really cryptic way of publicly asking if anyone could sort you out with some weed.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    My office has been closed due to the hurricane the last 3 days and is reopening tomorrow.

They're trying to stay open til saturday and force people to make up the missed time while basically completely ignoring that A. tons of people just got flooded and B. it's a holiday weekend.

Nope, still gettin on my plane Thursday.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    My office has been closed due to the hurricane the last 3 days and is reopening tomorrow.

They're trying to stay open til saturday and force people to make up the missed time while basically completely ignoring that A. tons of people just got flooded and B. it's a holiday weekend.

Nope, still gettin on my plane Thursday.

cjFTcSy.png

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Follow-up on the job brief I sent to that project manager - he forwarded my name to talent recruiting, they let me know the HR manager is currently in south Texas helping out and that they'd contact me via my home email if I get called for an interview in the future, so that's pretty cool! As much as I've bagged on my current company, I do totally see potential and wouldn't mind working for them in at a more enjoyable job. Especially if people like this PM manage to get the wheels in motion for improvement.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Amazon isn't approaching monopoly status. Wal Mart exists. Amazon is just reaching ultra wide (you only need Amazon to buy/watch everything) rather than strangling competition in a given slice.

I ate an engineer
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Anybody else in chemistry-related fields heard about the upcoming THF shortage?

For a moment I got THF mixed up with THC and thought this was a really cryptic way of publicly asking if anyone could sort you out with some weed.

I mean, I'm not asking but I'm also not not asking.

milski wrote: »
    Amazon isn't approaching monopoly status. Wal Mart exists. Amazon is just reaching ultra wide (you only need Amazon to buy/watch everything) rather than strangling competition in a given slice.

Amazon is already beating Walmart online. Badly. Like it was never a fair fight from the start (though a lot of blame there can go to Walmart.)

That said, what's more worrying isn't Amazon as monopoly, but Amazon as monopsony - there are already sectors where no Amazon presence means you don't exist as far as the market is concerned.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The one thing I've heard regarding Amazon that is interesting even if I'm not decided on it being a good idea is making them something like a Common Carrier which gives a bunch of benefits but imposes a lot of obligations as well.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Amazon is already beating Walmart online. Badly. Like it was never a fair fight from the start (though a lot of blame there can go to Walmart.)

That said, what's more worrying isn't Amazon as monopoly, but Amazon as monopsony - there are already sectors where no Amazon presence means you don't exist as far as the market is concerned.

Beating wal-mart online doesn't really matter if people still primarily buy goods offline, which has been the case for a while.

Monopsony is more interesting I suppose.

I ate an engineer
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Why do I always have to deal with the batshit insane code?

Say you want a random 9 digit number and then convert to a hexadecimal string. There's lots different algorithms that can calculate random numbers depending on how "random" you want them to be.

Or you could create a file that has every single hexadecimal value possible for a 32 bit number, then split that file into 4000 different smaller files and then randomly pick which file to open and which line to read from the file.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular

Say you want a random 9 digit number and then convert to a hexadecimal string. There's lots different algorithms that can calculate random numbers depending on how "random" you want them to be.

Or you could create a file that has every single hexadecimal value possible for a 32 bit number, then split that file into 4000 different smaller files and then randomly pick which file to open and which line to read from the file.

...wtf

edited August 2017

34GB of files for an RNG definitely qualifies as batshit insane code.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    I mean, i guess to be fair, it might be 17GB if it's just binary files.
    I'm working on the assumption that someone that incompetent did them as text, so they're using 8 bytes to represent 4.

Oops, forgot the newline, so add 12 or 25 percent depending on if it's Unix or Windows.

steam_sig.png

So that's what happened with the guy who came up with 80s era DRM.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular

The best part is it accomplishes nothing anyways because how do you know which line to read? You need a random number to ... generate a random number? Great, so what's the file for? :rotate:

OrokosPA.png
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    really feeling this article right about now:

ZipRecruiter turned hiring into a beauty pageant where everyone loses
    In a long-running Bloomberg radio ad, ZipRecruiter features an employer who says:

“Hiring people is probably the worst part of my job. It’s such a hassle — the searching. The sorting through resumes.”

Man, doing HR work really sucks. Is that an HR manager grousing? Or maybe it’s a hiring manager? Imagine a sales rep at your company complaining about what a hassle it is to sell.

Yet, HR executives ponied up over $100 million in 2016 to ZipRecruiter for help filling jobs.

It doesn't go into the detail I'd really like, but I get a strong suspicion that most HR departments are doing a really shit job and don't understand the impact of how they pick the keywords that they're going to run 500 resumes through.

This discussion has been closed.