As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Give me liberty or give me PODCASTS!

LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascismRegistered User regular
So I ran out. I need new stuff to listen to and keep running in the background.
Here is the stuff I completely drained or am familiar with and kinda bored of that does not need to be recommended:

Serial
S-Town
The Dollop
This American Life
Last Podcast on the Left
Chapo Trap House
Stuff to Blow your Mind
Radiolab
Reply All
Stuff they don't want you to know
Criminal
WTF with Marc Maron
Hardcore History

and basically all the stuff on Gimlet and Cave Comedy I am at least familiar with.

So history, weird history, mythology, science, politics, basically all topics as long as it is a well made podcast. I really favor podcasts where people stay at least a bit on topic and don't talk too much about unrelated stuff. A general topic per episode is preferable.

And preferably not too US centric, if it is history I am fine with that, but if they start talking local or state politics I really don't care as a non citizen.
I don't care about gaming podcasts at all, but I also do not enjoy watching streams or lets plays, so while I am interested in gaming, it would have to be something with a different angle.
I also do not want to listen to people playing board games or tabletop rpgs or something like that.

• twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I don't see it on the list, so -- my wife has listened to a lot of "Stuff You Missed in History Class" which seems in line with a lot of what's on your list. The episodes I've listened in on with her have been overall pretty interesting. Check out "Revisionist History" from Malcom Gladwell as well.

twmjr on
  • LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    twmjr wrote: »
    I don't see it on the list, so -- my wife has listened to a lot of "Stuff You Missed in History Class" which seems in line with a lot of what's on your list. The episodes I've listened in on with her have been overall pretty interesting. Check out "Revisionist History" from Malcom Gladwell as well.

Oh yeah, I wanted to check the first one out anyway and the second sounds interesting.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Some philosophy podcasts I like:

History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps
    The Philosopher's Arms
    The UnMute Podcast
    Hi-Phi Nation

I dunno if you like movies, but if you do, my three favorite movie podcasts are Blank Check with Griffin and David
    Black Men Can't Jump in Hollywood and The Treatment.

If we're just listing other podcasts we like, I enjoy Something True.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Maximum Fun channel has a bunch of shows that align with this.
    Comedy Shows: http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/comedy
    Culture Shows: http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/culture

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    99% Invisible - Explores all things "design", check out the topics as you might be surprised what they cover

• NytewarriorNytewarrior Registered User regular
    History on Fire is a good one. However, Danieli Bolelli, the host, is Italian so his accent might be a little jarring at first, but if you stick with it you will enjoy the podcast.

steam_sig.png
    PSN:Midnyte_Rage
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Just an aside, the AC had a little tangent about podcasts in the chat thread starting here:
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/38091349/#Comment_38091349

I listen to mostly casual ramble fests, so I dont have great advice.

• Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    Nerdist Podcast - almost 900 episodes in over 7 years. Now it's just Chris Hardwick but he gets a good range of guests but tending to the comedy/tv/movie side.

Levar Burton Reads - basically adult reading rainbow. Little bit of sound design over top too so it's not just his voice.

• The Big LevinskyThe Big Levinsky Registered User regular
    Any interest in fiction? My favorite comedy/action serial podcasts:

Marscorp
    Thrilling Adventure Hour - with particular emphasis on Beyond Belief (starring Paul F. Tompkins and Paget Brewster) and Sparks Nevada: Martial on Mars.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Gilbert0 wrote: »
    Nerdist Podcast - almost 900 episodes in over 7 years. Now it's just Chris Hardwick but he gets a good range of guests but tending to the comedy/tv/movie side.

Levar Burton Reads - basically adult reading rainbow. Little bit of sound design over top too so it's not just his voice.

Second the Nerdist recommendation. I was surprised at much I liked Hardwick as an interviewer, his episode with Tom Cruise was fantastic.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »

There is a link from the one Foomy gave you, but I highly recommend The History of Rome podcast.

I would also throw The Dollop into the ring.

It's a little more US centric, but does a single topic per episode and is a lot of fun to listen to. Some of the better ones if you want to get an idea of what it is like

The Phantom of the Open
    The Cereal Men
    The Rube
    Rocketbelt Madness
    Purity Balls

• virginiahancockvirginiahancock West Union, IL 62477, USARegistered User new member

The Philosopher's Arms
    The UnMute Podcast
    Hi-Phi Nation

I dunno if you like movies, but if you do, my three favorite movie podcasts are Blank Check with Griffin and David

I'm too like your podcasts

Kelor wrote: »

There is a link from the one Foomy gave you, but I highly recommend The History of Rome podcast.

It's a little more US centric, but does a single topic per episode and is a lot of fun to listen to. Some of the better ones if you want to get an idea of what it is like

The Phantom of the Open
    The Cereal Men
    The Rube
    Rocketbelt Madness
    Purity Balls

Oh, I will check out the History of Rome!
    Dollop is on my list in the OP actually and I know pretty much all the Dollops.

Thanks everyone, that's a lot of stuff to check out!

• Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular

The Philosopher's Arms
    The UnMute Podcast
    Hi-Phi Nation

@TychoCelchuuu, could you give a rough breakdown of the philosophy podcasts? Do any of them lean towards discussing more of the technical details of theories, applications, studies, ect...?

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    @TychoCelchuuu, could you give a rough breakdown of the philosophy podcasts? Do any of them lean towards discussing more of the technical details of theories, applications, studies, ect...?
    History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps is what it sounds like. It goes through philosophy more or less from the beginning.

The Philosopher's Arms takes place in a pub in England. Each episode has a discussion topic introduced by the host. They talk about it with people in the pub, guided by questions and comments from the host, and they also have comments from experts (philosophers) and other people related to the topic.

The UnMute podcast is interviews with philosophers, usually with a focus on one particular aspect of their work.

Hi-Phi Nation is a This American Life style podcast that uses stories to examine philosophical issues, and it also includes input from philosophers on the philosophical aspects of the story.

I don't know what counts as "technical details" so I can't speak to that particularly.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I'm a big fan of God Awful Movies and Citation Needed. The Black Tapes, Rabbits, and Tanis are also very good.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    http://wehaveconcerns.com/
    We Have Concerns is a short, improvised podcast about the wonder and dread hidden in everyday things.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Gilbert0 wrote: »

Second the Nerdist recommendation. I was surprised at much I liked Hardwick as an interviewer, his episode with Tom Cruise was fantastic.

I've been listening to the Nerdist since the start and yeah, Hardwick is a good interviewer. HIs main criticism is that he's never hardhitting and always a bit too effervescent about his guests, but I still like him. Wish we got more Jonah and Mira though.

Surprised Comedy Bang Bang hasn't been recommended. It isn't for everyone, and not all eps are great, but if you pick something with Paul F Tompkins in it, you can't go wrong.

Right now, I'm really into Offbook- An improvised musical. If you like Comedy Bang Bang, check out the first episode.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Dear Hank & John is a lot of fun. It's the Green brothers taking questions from the audience and try to answer them, and if they don't know the answer they will make something up instead. Usually leads to a funny anecdote or story, sometimes you might get actual advice, and occasionally you might learn something.

Veevee on
  • Yes, and...Yes, and... Registered User regular
    Librarian wrote: »
    Kelor wrote: »

The Phantom of the Open
    The Cereal Men
    The Rube
    Rocketbelt Madness
    Purity Balls

Oh, I will check out the History of Rome!
    Dollop is on my list in the OP actually and I know pretty much all the Dollops.

I've only heard good things about History of Rome, and if that's to your taste you might also be interested in the Fall of Rome podcast: https://soundcloud.com/fallofromepodcast

Patrick Wyman (https://twitter.com/patrick_wyman), the host, has another podcast called Tides of History, but I haven't listened to any of that, and contributes to a MMA/striking podcast called Heavy Hands, if you really feel like branching out.

• AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    This is a podcast that I am on. I believe you may enjoy it. Please have a listen.
    http://www.talesfromthespacepod.com/

• MorranMorran Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Librarian wrote: »
    So I ran out. I need new stuff to listen to and keep running in the background.
    Here is the stuff I completely drained or am familiar with and kinda bored of that does not need to be recommended:

Serial
    S-Town
    The Dollop
    This American Life
    Last Podcast on the Left
    Chapo Trap House
    Stuff to Blow your Mind
    Radiolab
    Reply All
    Stuff they don't want you to know
    Criminal
    WTF with Marc Maron
    Hardcore History

and basically all the stuff on Gimlet and Cave Comedy I am at least familiar with.

So history, weird history, mythology, science, politics, basically all topics as long as it is a well made podcast. I really favor podcasts where people stay at least a bit on topic and don't talk too much about unrelated stuff. A general topic per episode is preferable.

And preferably not too US centric, if it is history I am fine with that, but if they start talking local or state politics I really don't care as a non citizen.
    I don't care about gaming podcasts at all, but I also do not enjoy watching streams or lets plays, so while I am interested in gaming, it would have to be something with a different angle.
    I also do not want to listen to people playing board games or tabletop rpgs or something like that.

History, weird history, mythology: several segments of the podcast "ken and robin talk about stuff" will cover that. The podcast is hosted by two authors/tabletop rpg designers who also talk about (rpg) gaming, business, movies, book review, modern spycraft and cooking (!). Highly recommended even if you don't play rpg:s.

http://www.kenandrobintalkaboutstuff.com

Also, given the huge overlap in your and my podcast taste, i would recommend "planet money" from NPR.

Morran on