As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moving to Seattle?

Hesster56Hesster56 OhioRegistered User regular
So, long time but haven't posted in a while.

Turns out my wife might be moving to a career with a company in Seattle. Which would mean we are all going. It's still up in the air, but Ohio to Washington is pretty damn big.

Can anyone offer any advice on the city? What to look for, what to avoid, schools (two kids in daycare) and so on. Appreciate it in advance. Thank you!

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I'd say question #1 is what side of the lake (that is, Lake Washington) her job will be on, because that will make a difference in terms your commute choices and communities. Seattle proper is on the west side and is urban core of the area, while the east side is mostly suburban.

• Options
    HollerHoller Registered User regular
    The real question one is how much of a raise is she getting, because the housing market here is fucking insane right now. Start budgeting it out now to make sure it is actually a real raise and not a paycut when adjusted for the current cost of living here.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    here is a decent enough cost of living comparison.

http://swz.salary.com/CostOfLivingWizard/LayoutScripts/Coll_Start.aspx

For example if I were making 65k in DC, and moved to Seattle, I would need to make 61k for it to be equivalent.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Holler wrote: »
    The real question one is how much of a raise is she getting, because the housing market here is fucking insane right now. Start budgeting it out now to make sure it is actually a real raise and not a paycut when adjusted for the current cost of living here.

Holler speaketh the gospel here. Seattle has been exploding as of late, as well as its bedroom communities and even outlying cities. We bought in Tacoma a coupla years ago, and, even here, prices are skyrocketing and inventory is low. Definitely get a solid grasp of your financials and come out to visit.

Good luck!

• Options
    Hesster56Hesster56 OhioRegistered User regular
    Thanks again, all.

We know that the cost of living is HUGELY different. But I don't think that I was ready to see a 66% hit. Ouch.

We also told my parents today that it was a possibility and they about died, so...kind of hoping we don't need to go cross country, even though it had always been a bit of a dream.

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    Yeah, check out Tacoma if you can handle a bit of a commute. I bought a house in Tacoma last year and I use the Sound Transit system to get to work. It's easy but you know, it's time out of your life so you have to ultimately make the call.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Ataxrxes wrote: »
    Yeah, check out Tacoma if you can handle a bit of a commute. I bought a house in Tacoma last year and I use the Sound Transit system to get to work. It's easy but you know, it's time out of your life so you have to ultimately make the call.

I did a Tacoma to SODO commute for a year, which was easy peasy compared to some folks I know down here. The Sounder is a lifesaver if you work downtown. It's still a long ride, but it beats the ever-lovin' crap out of the 5.

Also, Tacoma is kinda awesome. Just don't tell anyone or we'll threaten to beat you up (in public - in private we'll show you our community gardens and delicious craft beers).