As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    I won't play Secret Hitler. I'm not going to tell anyone else not to play it or that you shouldn't like it but for me the theme is not something that I would play around with.

Yeah, me too. It helps it's a game type I would never play anyway. Same with Whitechapel, that's just a little too gruesome for me.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Whitechapel is one of the few instances of themes that was a little far for me. I went with fury for Dracula instead.

I still like Specter Ops better than both, though.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    Whitechapel is one of the few instances of themes that was a little far for me. I went with fury for Dracula instead.

Fury of Dracula kind of bothers me but only because all the vampires he makes are shown as women. I would have liked if the tokens just showed generic non-gendered vamps but let's be honest Dracula was a super creeper so thematically it would have been weird if they weren't ladies.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Fury of Dracula kind of bothers me but only because all the vampires he makes are shown as women. I would have liked if the tokens just showed generic non-gendered vamps but let's be honest Dracula was a super creeper so thematically it would have been weird if they weren't ladies.

Really? I could have sworn Aristocratic Vampire was an old dude and Reckless (?) vampire was a gentleman as well.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Dracula in the novel is all about the ladies. (The lady vamps are all about the men.) That's just being faithful to the source material.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I won't play Secret Hitler. I'm not going to tell anyone else not to play it or that you shouldn't like it but for me the theme is not something that I would play around with.

Yeah, me too. It helps it's a game type I would never play anyway. Same with Whitechapel, that's just a little too gruesome for me.

Secret Hitler is a big hit in the DC gaming area and everyone is fine joking around. I always conclude tutorials with "Are we ready? Lets make Germany Great Again!"

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Dracula in the novel is all about the ladies. (The lady vamps are all about the men.) That's just being faithful to the source material.

I know that's why I said it. :P

Really? I could have sworn Aristocratic Vampire was an old dude and Reckless (?) vampire was a gentleman as well.

My version doesn't have those; just tokens of some white robed ladies. Is that in the new version?

Cantido wrote: »

Secret Hitler is a big hit in the DC gaming area and everyone is fine joking around. I always conclude tutorials with "Are we ready? Lets make Germany Great Again!"

yikes.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

I know that's why I said it. :P

My version doesn't have those; just tokens of some white robed ladies. Is that in the new version?

Yea that's from 3e. I haven't played older ones so I'm not sure there but in 3e there are definite dude vampires.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    He's the one that said they lifted the plot of Airplane. Read it as shorthand for a silly thing happening on a plane then. If memory serves the 9/11 hijackings didn't involve pilots having simultaneous heart attacks and then the flight attendants having to vote on who was or wasn't a hijacker either so nothing is one to one here.

It is supremely obvious what the theme is alluding to if you actually sit down to play it. It doesn't take too many between the lines reading to interpret what "the game is instantly over if a hidden bad guy reaches the cockpit of a passenger airliner" means amidst cards of flight crew throwing their hands up in fear or trying to fight off assailants. The tone is definitely not light hearted and silly, despite the backstory intro reminding me of "Both pilots had the fish!" from Airplane!, which was my point that the game rides this uncanny valley of theme and tone. The setup is silly, but the actions and goal are not. The art has everyone looking like they belong in a Barbie playset commercial, but it's obviously not meant to be an over the top joke.

There is zero chance anyone could ever sit down to it and within one minute not say, "So it's a 9-11 game?"

MrBody on
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular

I'm glad I prefer the gameplay of Scotland Yard to the gameplay of Letters from Whitechapel, because the whole "wait for the right moment to kill the prostitute" phase of Whitechapel would need to be handled with a whole lot more care for me to feel comfortable playing it. It'd be one thing if the game worked to engender some concern for Jack's victims (in the way, e.g., that Freedom: The Underground Railroad makes you deeply regret the cubes you allow to be recaptured); but instead they are there only as barriers delaying the start of the actual hunt.

edited August 2017
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

I'm glad I prefer the gameplay of Scotland Yard to the gameplay of Letters from Whitechapel, because the whole "wait for the right moment to kill the prostitute" phase of Whitechapel would need to be handled with a whole lot more care for me to feel comfortable playing it. It'd be one thing if the game worked to engender some concern for Jack's victims (in the way, e.g., that Freedom: The Underground Railroad makes you deeply regret the cubes you allow to be recaptured); but instead they are there only as barriers delaying the start of the actual hunt.

Yes, exactly, that's it. It's the dehumanization of the victims that gets to me in Whitechapel.

But, again, I do not think less of anyone who enjoys the game at all.

Magic Pink on
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Well. Massive Darkness is here.

I kinda just wanna sell it and not play it; spare myself the expectant disappointment.

You shut your dirty mouth. Play it and report back it's awesome and totally worth the obscene amount of money I spent.

kx3klFE.png
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    Has anyone played Space Hulk: Death Angel? What do you think? Any games similar to it?

League of Legends:Varega

I kinda just wanna sell it and not play it; spare myself the expectant disappointment.

You shut your dirty mouth. Play it and report back it's awesome and totally worth the obscene amount of money I spent.

it's giving me a handy j right now it's that good

Varega wrote: »
    Has anyone played Space Hulk: Death Angel? What do you think? Any games similar to it?

I did. It was messy and weird and doesn;t all fit back in the box and we lost. I never played it again and sold it. It does get amazingly good reviews tho so don;t listen to me maybe.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Mine shows up tomorrow and I'll play it with either 4 or 5 people on Saturday. The demo at Gen Con was solid enough, and I want to believe.

Lol, according to the tracking info the box weighs over 20 lbs :D

yeah no lie it's pretty dang heavy

Its brutal and not particularly similar to anything else I've played. If you like solo games with lots of die rolling and getting brutalized it's fun, though I think it's better solo than coop. Also be prepared to spend irrational amounts of money if you want the expansions.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

Its brutal and not particularly similar to anything else I've played. If you like solo games with lots of die rolling and getting brutalized it's fun, though I think it's better solo than coop. Also be prepared to spend irrational amounts of money if you want the expansions.

Word. It's a very good game, but exceedingly difficult to win. Plays fast, tho, so you can suffer through many futile attempts at victory in an hour or two.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Not sure if it's the only one, but the big surprise drop from Fantasy Flight Games is a 2-player box set of Star Wars: Destiny, where all the cards are pre-set.

I was just about to sell my Phasma. Not sure if the version they are selling is different.. but.. I suspect the value is about to drop.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch

Better a handy than a reach around I guess.

kx3klFE.png
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Death Angel is fun, though it can be overly random sometimes due to the dice rolls, and it also has player elimination. I play it a decent amount because my friends are really into the theme, but it's not my favorite coop. If you really like the idea of it and your friends are ok with the elimination then it's probably worth picking up.

sig.gif
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    So a video game slash board game Armello had a free weekend last week and I finally got to try it after being interested for a while. Each player is an animal running around doing quests while the insane lion king sits in the center acting crazy.

Have you ever thought Talisman might be a decent game if they got rid of roll to move? Well, Armello is Talisman without roll to move so let me tell you that no, it would not.

• jaredburtonjaredburton Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    So a video game slash board game Armello had a free weekend last week and I finally got to try it after being interested for a while. Each player is an animal running around doing quests while the insane lion king sits in the center acting crazy.

Have you ever thought Talisman might be a decent game if they got rid of roll to move? Well, Armello is Talisman without roll to move so let me tell you that no, it would not.

I find the exploding dice in that game really frustrating.

Played Evo last night, which is a game about evolving and position your flock of dinosaurs across Catan-like terrain as the clinate shifts. It's not bad, actually. The only real issues are that the combat seems heavily disadvantageous, and that weirdly one winning strategy is to avoid upgrades altogether. (My opponents bid each other up for genes, while I collected free cards and saved enough money to beat them handily.) Still, it's worth checking out.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

Armello's such a dissapointment because it's like, 80% of the way to being great. The art and story and stuff are all fantastic. The theme is good, then the gameplay is just... nothing.

Also board game reccomendations please: In this case for 5-7 players (in that amount, doesn't have to accommodate all of them, 6 is our usual number).

We played and like:

Container
    Scythe
    Powergrid
    Game of Thrones

The Group is split on:

New Angeles (I like it but quite a few people find it kind of emotionally exhausting by the end)

We never got into:

Eclipse (primarily because of the set up time and how fiddly it felt).

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

Different strokes for different folks, IMO.

@Albino Bunny

Mysterium
    Eldritch Horror
    Bang
    Captain Sonar

all come to mind for 5-7 without too much fiddle

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, Captain Sonar fell flat because our group kept getting muddled and devolving into yelling over eachother.

Which is a shame because I really fucking like Captain Sonar.

Bang and anything like that is probably not needed because we've got a bunch of party game style stuff.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    @Albino Bunny

7 Wonders
    Coup with Reformation
    Escape: The Curse Temple if you like real time, but if you didn't like Captain Sonar...
    Mundus Novus
    Panic On Wall Street, another real time but now the shouting is part of the game!
    Spartacus with the Serpent & Wolf expansion
    Steampunk Rally
    Viticulture

And you would be wrong.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Armello's such a dissapointment because it's like, 80% of the way to being great. The art and story and stuff are all fantastic. The theme is good, then the gameplay is just... nothing.

Also board game reccomendations please: In this case for 5-7 players (in that amount, doesn't have to accommodate all of them, 6 is our usual number).

We played and like:

Container
    Scythe
    Powergrid
    Game of Thrones

The Group is split on:

New Angeles (I like it but quite a few people find it kind of emotionally exhausting by the end)

We never got into:

7 Wonders
    Council of Blackthorn
    Colt Express
    Ethnos
    Dixit or Mysterium

Oh, what about Terra Mystica?

ACsTqqK.jpg

I like Armello a lot, but I also like Talisman a lot. They're both a buncha random nonsense though so presumably you would know if you like that in a game.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh, that reminds me: Yesterday I found out Captain Sonar has an expansion out! It's pretty cool, adds 5 new scenarios, and a whole bunch of experimental weapons. Also new dry erase markers!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

We played and like:

Container
    Scythe
    Powergrid
    Game of Thrones

The Group is split on:

We never got into:

Dune (6)
    Secret Hitler (with 7)
    Robot Rally

steam_sig.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

We played and like:

Container
    Scythe
    Powergrid
    Game of Thrones

The Group is split on:

We never got into:

DOMINANT SPECIES

with 100% confidence.

And you would be wrong.

Well this is boardgames, not the role play sub

kx3klFE.png
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, Captain Sonar fell flat because our group kept getting muddled and devolving into yelling over eachother.

Which is a shame because I really fucking like Captain Sonar.

Bang and anything like that is probably not needed because we've got a bunch of party game style stuff.

All too true. We played a rather dreary game of ESCAPE FROM COLDITZ at the gamestore club a few months back because a couple of our members are rather, um, slow to pick up on details and don't always follow the flow of a game. Played it again with a much faster-witted group at WBC last month, and it was much more enjoyable. One of the high points of the convention, to be honest.

I have CAPTAIN SONAR but will not even attempt it with the gamestore club because several of our players are just not equipped for the game's intellectual demands.