As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Jobs]: The Reason People Are Stuck In Airports

• Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    It's nice when people are nice/ patient about me repeatedly missing their veins. I'm not missing on purpose.

missing the vein is nothing

digging for it is what annoys people

plz don't dig

my boss actually just yelled at a phlebotomist yesterday for doing it on a hard stick patient in front of him

"these people deal with some of the worst pain imaginable (dialysis), why are you making it worse for them?"

Interesting, we call it "fishing" in my neck of the woods. Neither is really a good term since you're keeping the needle inside the skin and pulling back slightly to alter the angle. I've started thousands of IV's and while it's not my go-to move for access/blood draws fishing is something i've definitely done on occasion.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    It's nice when people are nice/ patient about me repeatedly missing their veins. I'm not missing on purpose.

plz don't dig

my boss actually just yelled at a phlebotomist yesterday for doing it on a hard stick patient in front of him

"these people deal with some of the worst pain imaginable (dialysis), why are you making it worse for them?"

that's an incredibly shitty thing to do to someone right in front of a patient tho

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

plz don't dig

that's an incredibly shitty thing to do to someone right in front of a patient tho

Yeah he calls people idiots and morons to their face too, he has no shame when it comes to hurting a patient.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    You know what the worst thing is

holding your kid's arm so they can draw blood

I felt so bad

Moriveth on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

plz don't dig

Sorta. You need to balance the patient's needs versus the phlebotomist's. Having someone else recognize that somebody just fucked up in a way that caused you extreme pain is not nothing for the patient and can at least keep them calm when somebody else comes in to try and unfuck up what the first person did.

Praise in public/Criticize in private gets a little weird when the work is other people.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The time I spent a week in the hospital with some bad blood infections, I had a lot of IV's. I'm a hard stick to start with, and I was running out of veins. I eventually got to the point where I'd tell one nurse she wasn't allowed to stick me and to go get a different nurse who was better at it.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I've been told I'm a hard stick. And I know it runs in my family since my dad gets the same thing. Deep veins, rolly veins, veins armored with a thick shell of cholesterol, whatever it is, they're apparently hard to hit. It's a good day for labs if I only get poked thrice.
    But I don't get angry. Like I said, I'm kind of used to getting stuck (I don't enjoy it, but I'm getting used to it).
    I always tell them the same thing when they say something along these lines about being nice/calm after getting poked repeatedly.
    "I can't imagine any set of circumstances where my getting angry with you is going to make your job easier to do. Since your job is sticking me with needles, anything I can do to make your job easier? It's getting done."
    They seem to appreciate the sentiment.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Oh god. Since our landlord here blows and doesn't do anything, it's on us to empty our parking lot garbage can.

Today it was full of rank ass rainwater and also a pair of underwear. Almost puked. So gross.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

plz don't dig

Sorta. You need to balance the patient's needs versus the phlebotomist's. Having someone else recognize that somebody just fucked up in a way that caused you extreme pain is not nothing for the patient and can at least keep them calm when somebody else comes in to try and unfuck up what the first person did.

Praise in public/Criticize in private gets a little weird when the work is other people.

if my doctor did that in front of me i would change my doctor

criticizing is one thing, yelling at them is another

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I've been told I'm a hard stick. And I know it runs in my family since my dad gets the same thing. Deep veins, rolly veins, veins armored with a thick shell of cholesterol, whatever it is, they're apparently hard to hit. It's a good day for labs if I only get poked thrice.
    But I don't get angry. Like I said, I'm kind of used to getting stuck (I don't enjoy it, but I'm getting used to it).
    I always tell them the same thing when they say something along these lines about being nice/calm after getting poked repeatedly.
    "I can't imagine any set of circumstances where my getting angry with you is going to make your job easier to do. Since your job is sticking me with needles, anything I can do to make your job easier? It's getting done."
    They seem to appreciate the sentiment.

I'm a moderately easy stick, I'm just a low-bleeder. I have to get most of my blood draws in the morning, before the day really has had a chance to get my heart rate up, so my blood just kinda dribbles out. And since I'm usually getting 3-8 vials, it can take a while. Sometimes they want to re-stick just so we're both not there for 18 hours.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Oh god. Since our landlord here blows and doesn't do anything, it's on us to empty our parking lot garbage can.

Today it was full of rank ass rainwater and also a pair of underwear. Almost puked. So gross.

Are you sure it was rainwater, and not a dude like in the first X-Men movie who got turned into a jellyfish man and his body dissolved leaving behind only his underpants? But in this case instead of lurching around on the beach he had enough presence of mind to climb into a suitable receptacle for his soon-to-be-liquid mass? That may have been a genuine US Senator you just emptied out like trash.

In which case, good job. Carry on.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »

Are you sure it was rainwater, and not a dude like in the first X-Men movie who got turned into a jellyfish man and his body dissolved leaving behind only his underpants? But in this case instead of lurching around on the beach he had enough presence of mind to climb into a suitable receptacle for his soon-to-be-liquid mass? That may have been a genuine US Senator you just emptied out like trash.

In which case, good job. Carry on.

It's unlikely, but possible!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    One of our temp staff had to leave early due to visa issues. I really like the guy and was sad he was due to leave in 2 weeks anyway, but now he's gone early and I'm on leave so wasn't even there to say goodbye when he left.

I am not a people person. I didn't choose to go live in the bush and study wildlife because of a strong love of people. The exact opposite -
    I'm awkward and anxious and antisocial. But this is also a very people oriented job and you're constantly meeting new strangers and getting to know them. And I think the 2 years of that have changed me. These days I actually make friends a lot easier, and I find myself caring about people after spending a few months with them, and giving a shit when they go out of my life, and missing them. And it happens over and over and over again. And it hurts. And it sucks.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Gas shortage in Texas means I'm waiting in line for gas on my lunch break. Asshole tries to sneak in front of me in line, so I honk the shit out of myhorn and move forward. We both had windows open so he says, "who are youhonking at?!" So I say, you, asshole, for cutting in line." He says he doesn't think so (just because I'm leaving a gap for traffic doesn't mean you didn't see me, punk) and then gets huffy because I called him asshole, saying, "you don't even know me, fat bitch!" Well I know you tried to cut in line, asshole!

Also can't help but be amused at how he said it like he thinks "fat bitch" is the most devastating insult he can call me. Have a seat, son.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Gas shortage in Texas means I'm waiting in line for gas on my lunch break. Asshole tries to sneak in front of me in line, so I honk the shit out of myhorn and move forward. We both had windows open so he says, "who are youhonking at?!" So I say, you, asshole, for cutting in line." He says he doesn't think so (just because I'm leaving a gap for traffic doesn't mean you didn't see me, punk) and then gets huffy because I called him asshole, saying, "you don't even know me, fat bitch!" Well I know you tried to cut in line, asshole!

Also can't help but be amused at how he said it like he thinks "fat bitch" is the most devastating insult he can call me. Have a seat, son.

People who try to take advantage of a safe following distance gap are the scum of the goddamn earth.

Especially ones who do it in adverse driving conditions.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Safely back at work with a full tank. I am proud in retrospect at how a woman willing to curse like a sailor immediately shuts young men up as they shrivel into a ball of gender-role confusion. God bless 20-something idiots.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You know you've won when they result to insults about your appearance.

No more logical arguments eh?!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    We had an outage yesterday that slammed everyone else in my department but didn't really touch me at all in my weird little private kingdom at the warehouse. Today, my boss bought everybody at the main office pizza to thank them for putting up with yesterday, then came by and bought me pizza too so I wouldn't feel left out. Which wasn't necessary at all, but very nice anyway, especially because everyone else in the warehouse is on weird diets or had already gone to lunch when the pizzas arrived, so I get them all to myself!

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    ICUb wrote: »

plz don't dig

Interesting, we call it "fishing" in my neck of the woods. Neither is really a good term since you're keeping the needle inside the skin and pulling back slightly to alter the angle. I've started thousands of IV's and while it's not my go-to move for access/blood draws fishing is something i've definitely done on occasion.

How often do you resort to the intern vein?

• Options
    You know you've won when they result to insults about your appearance.

No more logical arguments eh?!

I mean. It wasn't a logical argument to begin with. "You tried to cut in line." "Nuh uh" was the extent of the "logic" portion of our program.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I got told I will be "loaned" to another team today at work

I have been working on that other team for a half day the last few days and it's a fucking shit team

So basically I had a proper fucking blowout about how this company treats people like sacks of potatoes to be thrown around wherever management want and it's the reason why on a team of about eight, only one person on there is still there from six months ago. The team is properly in the shit and everyone is under massive pressure to sort it out, and it's been so mismanaged and understaffed in the past that it's now at a crisis point with hundred of thousands of business income on the line. I appreciate that they're in trouble but I told them straight up, okay if this is for four weeks then it's for four weeks. That time isn't getting extended, not for hell or high water.

What a week. Sometimes I sit in my flat and just stare at the wall to remind myself I own it and if I want to keep owning it I need to go to work so I can pay the mortgage...

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I didn't get the job I interviewed for.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    MadEddy wrote: »
    I didn't get the job I interviewed for.

That super sucks

sorry to hear that :(

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

I have been working on that other team for a half day the last few days and it's a fucking shit team

So basically I had a proper fucking blowout about how this company treats people like sacks of potatoes to be thrown around wherever management want and it's the reason why on a team of about eight, only one person on there is still there from six months ago. The team is properly in the shit and everyone is under massive pressure to sort it out, and it's been so mismanaged and understaffed in the past that it's now at a crisis point with hundred of thousands of business income on the line. I appreciate that they're in trouble but I told them straight up, okay if this is for four weeks then it's for four weeks. That time isn't getting extended, not for hell or high water.

What a week. Sometimes I sit in my flat and just stare at the wall to remind myself I own it and if I want to keep owning it I need to go to work so I can pay the mortgage...

:bro:

Been a hell of a week bro.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    One hour left today. One more day to work. Sup even told me I could leave early tomorrow and I wouldn't get in trouble for it, but I kinda need the money and leaving early means unpaid time. Still, I'm going to use my entire 60 min personal time for September on that day since, ya'know, won't need it any other time. Also going to use all 20 min of my doctor-approved bathroom time.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    One hour left today. One more day to work. Sup even told me I could leave early tomorrow and I wouldn't get in trouble for it, but I kinda need the money and leaving early means unpaid time. Still, I'm going to use my entire 60 min personal time for September on that day since, ya'know, won't need it any other time. Also going to use all 20 min of my doctor-approved bathroom time.

Piddle like you've never piddled before.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »

:bro:

Been a hell of a week bro.

Yeah

Well it'll be okay

Up and at em and all that!

• Options
    Oh also, my sup was nice enough to let me know that she's put on my record that I'm good for rehire if I want to come back to this company (and I'm not against it, I just don't wanna work call center again), so that's pretty cool!

Unfortunately it gives me even more license to do as little work as possible for the rest of today and all of tomorrow.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    ICUb wrote: »

plz don't dig

I tend to only do it when someone is unconscious or it's really emergent and we don't have a lot of options. We use the ultrasound for the most difficult veins though.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Copy repair person "might" show up tomorrow and enable me to get what little work I have done, in addition to unsticking the rest of the department and administration in general.

On the bright side, I completed my book outline at a whopping 15K words in two days.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Thanks, folks.

Don't feel so bad now about the blood spraying. NOW I feel bad about failing at a heel draw on a three day old infant. But seriously, would it be that expensive to just put the kid under some lights in case of jaundice instead of making someone who's done a whole two heel draws (one of which was in training, one of which failed miserably) try to get blood out of a baby's foot?

Note: if you ever need the blood of a child for some reason, please make sure the child is at least six months old.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Thanks, folks.

Don't feel so bad now about the blood spraying. NOW I feel bad about failing at a heel draw on a three day old infant. But seriously, would it be that expensive to just put the kid under some lights in case of jaundice instead of making someone who's done a whole two heel draws (one of which was in training, one of which failed miserably) try to get blood out of a baby's foot?

Note: if you ever need the blood of a child for some reason, please make sure the child is at least six months old.

I would like to note that pagan rituals only require the blood of a 3 month old.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Thanks, folks.

I would like to note that pagan rituals only require the blood of a 3 month old.

This explains the stigma against pagans...

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I was supposed to get a data set on Monday for a "homework assignment" (don't call it that) for a job interview

I did not get it on Monday so I checked in that evening with a friendly "hey what's up, looking forward to doing that technical" message.

They realized they need to anonymize the data set and so now I'm waiting for them to do that. Still. Three days later. I get that I would be the first "analyst" at the company but jeez.

Is it... not just as simple as dropping the 'name' and 'address' columns and just giving me the table's ID? Why not?

It's very frustrating that I can't be like "oh yeah, anonymization is pretty easy, let's go ahead and generate an ID for any proper names, drop all the addresses, and we'll ship it like that"

edit - this is a much funnier job hunting story:

Here's an undoctored quote from a job req for a management position at a biotech firm:
    • Minimum of 5-7 years experience managing projects, initiatives, and, people, and initiatives.

and I'm like, maybe I should try HR? I can't possibly be worse at it than most of the recruiters I interact with on a regular basis.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    *Answers phone* "Hello, How Can I help you?"

"I need to cancel a reservation for next week. I'm in Houston and..."

*Turns into quivering mess wishing them good fortune*

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I was supposed to get a data set on Monday for a "homework assignment" (don't call it that) for a job interview

I did not get it on Monday so I checked in that evening with a friendly "hey what's up, looking forward to doing that technical" message.

They realized they need to anonymize the data set and so now I'm waiting for them to do that. Still. Three days later. I get that I would be the first "analyst" at the company but jeez.

Is it... not just as simple as dropping the 'name' and 'address' columns and just giving me the table's ID? Why not?

It's very frustrating that I can't be like "oh yeah, anonymization is pretty easy, let's go ahead and generate an ID for any proper names, drop all the addresses, and we'll ship it like that"

edit - this is a much funnier job hunting story:

Here's an undoctored quote from a job req for a management position at a biotech firm:
    • Minimum of 5-7 years experience managing projects, initiatives, and, people, and initiatives.

and I'm like, maybe I should try HR? I can't possibly be worse at it than most of the recruiters I interact with on a regular basis.

Are you any good at managing initiatives, initiatives or initiatives, though? Apparently those're important.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    We've got initiatives, spam, projects, spam, initiatives, people, initiatives, initiatives, spam, and initiatives with spam.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    edit

I'm honestly not very good with jokes
    as it's often the same material you saw from those other folk

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    We've got initiatives, spam, projects, spam, initiatives, people, initiatives, initiatives, spam, and initiatives with spam.

"But Oi doin't loike initiatives!"

• Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    So the random message on LinkedIn that lead to a phone interview lead to a Skype interview and now I have an interview at the actual office.

I am now made more nervous because the third stage is the last stage of most boss fights. The interview is probably going to change patterns or the floor falls out or something. Either way, I'm jumping on someones head. It'll show I'm a go-getter.

This discussion has been closed.