As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fitness and Weight Management

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    TFW you don't feel any thinner but all your clothes are a lot looser is always weird.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    A friend who took a running course told me that the instructor didn't stress speed, but form. Apparently you should be able to hold a conversation while running and if you can't then you need to slow down until your cardio gets better. I guess you can be moving at walking speed, but as long as you're still doing the running motion that was acceptable.

steam_sig.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    TFW you don't feel any thinner but all your clothes are a lot looser is always weird.

I always seem to shrink to scale. Like everything gets skinnier but I still have a gut =/

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    the thing i find very confusing when trying to do fitness "right" is that there are so many conflicting views about every little thing, and for some stuff like weight training doing it the wrong way can seriously injure you.

its very confusing as a noob

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    the thing i find very confusing when trying to do fitness "right" is that there are so many conflicting views about every little thing, and for some stuff like weight training doing it the wrong way can seriously injure you.

its very confusing as a noob

My view on this is threefold:

-Do lots of research anyway. Sometimes it'll conflict, but to be good at something you must learn it.
    -Exercising is better than not exercising. Sometimes people use the confusion as an excuse to do nothing. You may not be certain what's BEST, but exercise and keep researching. You'll be fine.
    -Take your research about injury seriously. If you have to decide between two conflicting ideas and one seems more injury likely, err on the side of no injury until you figure it out or find someone whose opinion you trust.

What is this I don't even.
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    The only way weight training will seriously injure you, like really seriously, is if you add too much weigh too fast. If you load sensibly and listen to your body and learn the difference between training soreness and real repetitive stress injury, you'll be fine. I've been training solo for almost 7 years and walked into a gym for the first time a stone cold beginner, no athletic experience whatsoever, and I've never had any kind of real injury and I've gotten reasonably strong (for a normal person, not for a strong person because that's a weird sliding scale).

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    With weightlifting the only advice that really matter is "learn the five main lifts and use progressive overload to improve at them". Everything else is garnish.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    What's the downside to pushing as many things as you can in an exercise session? As opposed to running one day, lifting the next? I figured it made each less effective since they draw from the same "system".

As I mentioned I do lifting and running each day but I'm wondering if that's just hurting me in the long run.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Your body needs about a day or so to recover from fatigue and microtears in the muscle.

This is why people rotate which muscle groups they lift with, or trade on/off with cardio and lifting every other day.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    With weightlifting the only advice that really matter is "learn the five main lifts and use progressive overload to improve at them". Everything else is garnish.

yeah this is kinda my goal right now:

learn how to squat, bench press, OHP, deadlift, barbell row. Follow a program like starting strength 3x5 or stronglifts 5x5.

edited August 2017
    bowen wrote: »
    Your body needs about a day or so to recover from fatigue and microtears in the muscle.

This is why people rotate which muscle groups they lift with, or trade on/off with cardio and lifting every other day.

So how about 30 minutes cardio, then weight lifting next day, cardio again, full rest day, weight lifting, cardio, rest?

I think (know?) part of my issue is I don't spend nearly enough time being active for cardio. I need to suck it up and put in at least 30 minutes per session even if most of it's a brisk walk. I'm super obviously not gaining at the level I should be since C25K says nine weeks to 5K, I'm at least that much in and I can do like 10-15% of that. I need to find someone to tell me how bad my form is, too..

Also goddamn not having easy access to a gym. I may just have to eat the time and gas cost.

Magus` on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

For the newbies out there, the five main lifts are concentration curls, preacher curls, bench press, rows, and overhead press. For accessory work you can do 21s and pec flyes.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

For the newbies out there, the five main lifts are concentration curls, preacher curls, bench press, rows Squat Rack curls, and overhead press. For accessory work you can do 21s and pec flyes.

Fixed that for ya.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    You're supposed to do all the exercises I mentioned in a squat rack!

Yes, drag the pec flye machine into a squat rack.

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    dragging that pec fly machine around is considered cardio, fyi

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    You're supposed to do all the exercises I mentioned in a squat rack!

My mistake! You're going to have the sickest gunz in the gym doing that plan.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    so, i know i posted only a week or two ago about just passing 95kg, but that was after i was weighed in a doctor's office on a different scale to the one i've been using

and i just weighed myself at the gym scales, under the same conditions as all my other "official" weigh ins and I've done it

i hit 91kg (200lb)

I've lost 24 kilos (52lb) since march, and i'm probably going to get under 90 in a short amount of time considering how i've been going

and fuck i've done it

I hit my goals of being able to regularly run 5k, and still having a little gut, but not really minding and having a bit of definition to my arms and legs

some of this is definitely muscle loss as well, since I haven't been able to regularly do weights for a bit due to clashing times and stuff, and i'm keen to get back to that now that i'm feeling a bit better and don't have classes on those days

but god damn

I've done it

I made myself a promise that i would shave off the beard i've had for a bit over 6 years just to see what my face actually looks like underneath it, and I guess I've got to keep that promise

and christ, now I have to go and buy myself a whole new wardrobe as well, and figure out how to stabilise my weight and get back into eating a variety of foods

but gosh. I did it.

Hell yeah man, well done!

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Yes, the new wardrobe buy. It is your bittersweet reward, dropping cash to not look like a hobo wearing hand me downs. Get lots of shirts that show off your biceps obvs.

What is this I don't even.
  • Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Cut all your sleeves off. All your shirts must let everyone know that you, infact, have two tickets to the gun show.

So something I remember reading is that even on a "rest" day you should still move around some. Is that true and, if so, what's some good stuff to do?

I just feel weird doing nothing, even if it's only one day a week (I'm alternating between cardio and strength training the other six days).

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Yard work.

Rest does not mean 100% sedentary. That's never good.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Magus` wrote: »
    So something I remember reading is that even on a "rest" day you should still move around some. Is that true and, if so, what's some good stuff to do?

I just feel weird doing nothing, even if it's only one day a week (I'm alternating between cardio and strength training the other six days).

I wouldn't overthink it. Go for a walk if you want, do some yardwork. It's not a big deal either way. If you're doing effective strength and cardio training six days a week you don't need to beat yourself up if you spend day 7 watching tv.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Oh man i've had to do the wardrobe rebuy a couple of times now. I've put off this one for a few months because I want to wait till we change seasons in order to get new clothes for winter instead of summer.

Buying all new snowboarding gear is going to suck, but only because it's gunna be unavoidably expensive.

Sleep on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Been in a funk the last few days. Decided the best think to do would just be to force myself to hit the gym. It really does help when a wave of depression hits me.

So I know something people really stress is diaphragm breathing and a "test" I see is laying down with hand on your chest and abdomen. The lower hand should rise and the upper shouldn't move. Now, admittedly I'm not sure what it's like when I'm standing but laying down that just seems how I breathe? If anything I have to try to get my chest to expand. Also I wanted something to do on my rest day.

The reason I bring it up is cause my lung capacity is still very lacking so I'm trying to cover all my bases.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Another 2 lbs down, 14.5 lbs total since I started.

still sitting at 207

lousy weather and a busy schedule are impeding my fitness

Yeah this weather has been atrocious this past week and I haven't really had a chance to go for my afternoon walks or anything.

I don't really feel like walking in torrential downpours.

I also don't want to pay for a gym membership. Trying to figure out a solution for the winter.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah this weather has been atrocious this past week and I haven't really had a chance to go for my afternoon walks or anything.

I don't really feel like walking in torrential downpours.

I also don't want to pay for a gym membership. Trying to figure out a solution for the winter.

there's weights and taebo which is what I always did

I haven't had time due to both rain and my kids starting school again. Once we get back in the school rut routine, I'll be able to iron out time.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I looked into doing youtube cardio workouts / aerobics. I never actually did it, but I can see how it could be a useful thing.

We've been doing planks and squats at work. It's probably helping me somewhat, but I really need to change my eating habits and get some cardio in.

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Anyone else here row on an indoor ergometer (specifically a Concept2 machine)? The Fall Team Challenge is coming up starting on the 15th and I'd love to have some motivation for the next month to push my distances. If there's any interest I'll make a team and put the details up here.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Coated the pavement with a whole bunch of my skin tonight, so I guess I'm not running until my knee heals up.
    Fuck poorly lit streets with wonky pavement

ouch while running too?

Yeah. Looks super gross too!

:?

edited September 2017
    I've decided to cut my daily calorie intake under the 2900 the MyFitness app recommended to 2500.

Mainly cause I fell like I can go that low while still hitting most of my macros and having a buffer accounts for any incidental snacking I might do.

As far as weight loss goes I'm currently 5lbs over my loss goal but I'm actually seeing nice results in my weightlifting so I'm pretty happy overall.

Dragkonias on
    tynic wrote: »
    Coated the pavement with a whole bunch of my skin tonight, so I guess I'm not running until my knee heals up.

Damn, sorry to hear that! I hope you heal up quickly!

now I wanna see the damage!

Damn, sorry to hear that! I hope you heal up quickly!

now I wanna see the damage!
    Fortunately I was wearing a knee brace or I would have had a repeat of a previous incident which has left me with a gnarly scar

this time my hand took the brunt

qbpjch4bk0jc.jpeg

This discussion has been closed.