As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Jobs]: The Reason People Are Stuck In Airports

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I'm waiting for tynic to invent a better version of the guinea pig/hamster valve thing and sell it

It's the little things that make you millions

There are a couple of people who routinely show up to dinner parties in my circle of friends. They both essentially retired at the age of 23 because one of them patented some sort of valve while he was a student, it got pretty popular in the oil industry, and now they just draw an upper-middle class income from the royalties while living like students and perpetually re-investing the surplus.

I want to hate them, but they're just being so sensible about the whole thing. And they're both super sweet people.

Yeah no I was in no way joking.

The small things that act are super prevalent and useful in multiple ways make millions.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    so like, would it be wrong to use divorce stuff as an excuse to miss work for an out of state interview...

It's too soon since my last interview in california to ask for more vacation time, especially considering I've had over a week of hurri-cation already. So far it's the best, semi-truth that I can come up with. I think pretending to be sick might be beyond my acting capabilities. Also, I'll have to leave early on that Thursday to make my flight. I think I'm going to shift my schedule up by an hour or so to accommodate my planned absence as well as be aligned with an east coast interview.

Would really be nice if I had more local jobs that I was interested in. Flying to opposite coasts is very tricky. It typically costs me two full workdays, which starts to look fishy after a bit. Also, this will put me at like 2 days of vacation time left.

I dunno if divorce shit counts, but it's a definite no-no to use fake medical stuff to deceptively get time off.

Yeah, I'm kind of struggling to come up with something that I can use without feeling pangs of conscience. Close enough to the truth, but not quite. For local interviews I just say doctor or dentist appointment. For two days off to fly to a different coast, that doesn't really pass the smell test. Maybe I will schedule my foundation repairs for then and use that as my excuse.

This has been a really annoying product of burning through almost all of my medical and vacation time to go on leave. Although the law protects me from retaliation, my boss is allowed to be cranky and suspicious of me, I think.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    tynic wrote: »
    fuck leaky guinea-pig waterers.

this is a problem I might actually be capable of solving

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Maaaaaaan it's harder to resist just up and leaving than I thought it would be. I actually got out a calculator to remind myself how much money that is but even so I'm not sure I can do more than half a day.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Can you -- or would you, even if you can -- just sit at your desk? They've already put you down as re-hireable, so is just farting the day away an option?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Can you -- or would you, even if you can -- just sit at your desk? They've already put you down as re-hireable, so is just farting the day away an option?

Hmmm. Well I have to put myself in *some* phone code, but I'll see if I can get away with 'meeting' for a few hours.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Ugh
    I've been dealing with my employer not bothering to set up direct deposit for the past 5 months. That isn't so bad, as getting a paper check is ok. It takes me 30 minutes to an hour, but it's on the clock and I've had the time.
    But today I go to email my timesheet and.. the email mailbox is full. I emailed the timekeeper to ask where to send it (I'm not supposed to use her email), and am not sure I'll get a response before I leave.
    On top of that, the data server is down for the third time in as many months. First time I freaked out, and called the IT guy. Second time I sent an email and got a reply days later after it was fixed. This time I guess I'll just give it a week before asking about it. I guess I have to save everything locally... I already started, but I guess I was spoiled in my previous jobs where if this happened, it was half a day at most. And it's a habit to want to actually use it.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    fuck leaky guinea-pig waterers.

this is a problem I might actually be capable of solving

I'm improvising a rubber rim sealant. We'll see how this goes.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I've been testing out a new thing with recruiters, where I just straight refuse to answer the salary question first and instead ask them what their salary bracket is for the position. It... seems to be working? Worst case scenario the numbers are too low and I just say so. Twice now it's suggested to me that I should target a higher number in negotiations.

Since I'm mostly doing this as just research for later, since I don't need a new job THIS INSTANT, it's making for pretty good research.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    so like, would it be wrong to use divorce stuff as an excuse to miss work for an out of state interview...

It's too soon since my last interview in california to ask for more vacation time, especially considering I've had over a week of hurri-cation already. So far it's the best, semi-truth that I can come up with. I think pretending to be sick might be beyond my acting capabilities. Also, I'll have to leave early on that Thursday to make my flight. I think I'm going to shift my schedule up by an hour or so to accommodate my planned absence as well as be aligned with an east coast interview.

Would really be nice if I had more local jobs that I was interested in. Flying to opposite coasts is very tricky. It typically costs me two full workdays, which starts to look fishy after a bit. Also, this will put me at like 2 days of vacation time left.

I dunno if divorce shit counts, but it's a definite no-no to use fake medical stuff to deceptively get time off.

Yeah, I'm kind of struggling to come up with something that I can use without feeling pangs of conscience. Close enough to the truth, but not quite. For local interviews I just say doctor or dentist appointment. For two days off to fly to a different coast, that doesn't really pass the smell test. Maybe I will schedule my foundation repairs for then and use that as my excuse.

This has been a really annoying product of burning through almost all of my medical and vacation time to go on leave. Although the law protects me from retaliation, my boss is allowed to be cranky and suspicious of me, I think.

I think telling someone you have a doctor's appointment and going to an interview is actually against the law, or something close to it. I might be full of shit and just repeating an untruth I've been told, but it was something like doctor's appointments being more protected reasons for missing work or something.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I've been wearing sweat pants all day.

No one's said anything to me.

I wonder how much I can get away with.

Tank top, jorts, birkenstocks w/ socks ?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    male tubetop

• Options
    As far as taking days off when you aren't actually sick/going to the doctor, can you not just say, "I have a family emergency"? I've used "family emergency" for bringing a pet to the vet - and the pet in question had a fever, so it definitely was an emergency in my book, whether my supervisor or HR would agree doesn't bother me, because the very nature of a family emergency is that it's a private matter.

• Options
    Yeah, that's my usual go to.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Honestly, the whole giving a reason thing is bullshit, especially considering the low pay and conditions most workers are in.

Like, don't abuse it to never, ever work, but you also shouldn't fret so hard over what to tell your boss. "I had an emergency" should be enough.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Robot guinea pigs dont drink water

Just saying

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    male tubetop

Just start calling me Tobias I guess.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

I think telling someone you have a doctor's appointment and going to an interview is actually against the law, or something close to it. I might be full of shit and just repeating an untruth I've been told, but it was something like doctor's appointments being more protected reasons for missing work or something.

Hmm. Based on the training I've had, it seems to be the opposite of that. Doctor's appointments and sick days are one of those excuses I'm absolutely not allowed to ask for details on as a manager, unless they miss a work week's worth of hours in a row, in which case FMLA kicks in and I can demand a note from your doctor.

I can be grumpy and suspicious all I want, but as long as you're taking your suspicious sick leave 1-4 days at a time, it's all protected under HIPAA and none of my damn business.

I can set annual limits on the amount of unplanned leave you can take, but that's a whole different ballgame and has to stay within reasonable limits. If you're working 9 out of 10 scheduled hours annually, I don't really have a leg to stand on if I want to fire you for it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Al_wat wrote: »

Just saying

What if I want them to though

• Options
    edited September 2017

Just saying

What if I want them to though

sku_29233_102.gif

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

Hmm. Based on the training I've had, it seems to be the opposite of that. Doctor's appointments and sick days are one of those excuses I'm absolutely not allowed to ask for details on as a manager, unless they miss a work week's worth of hours in a row, in which case FMLA kicks in and I can demand a note from your doctor.

I can be grumpy and suspicious all I want, but as long as you're taking your suspicious sick leave 1-4 days at a time, it's all protected under HIPAA and none of my damn business.

I can set annual limits on the amount of unplanned leave you can take, but that's a whole different ballgame and has to stay within reasonable limits. If you're working 9 out of 10 scheduled hours annually, I don't really have a leg to stand on if I want to fire you for it.

FMLA? "Fuck My Life Act"? "Free Mason Lodge Act"?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Family Medical Leave Act. It's to make sure you can take time off to care for your sick kids or parents as well as yourself without getting fired. Nothing like the compassionate leave you get in most European countries, but better than what we had prior to the 90s.

Edit: Although yeah, most of the time "Fuck My Life Act" is pretty accurate if you're actually using it.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    This spray on rubber which says it "peels off any surface" really needs an 'except skin' disclaimer

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Peels (your skin) off.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The spray on rubber isnt going to poison the guinea pig is it

Wait can "robot" guinea pigs even get poisoned

• Options
    I don't know why you guys are so worried about the theoretical guinea pig when my skin is right there

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Your skin knew what it was getting into.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Look if only you had some sort of test subject you could test the spray on rubber, the valve fixes on

Some sort of....

Whats the thing I'm looking for here

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I told my manager yesterday that I was going to start actively looking for work outside of the company. He asked if it was because I was afraid I was getting fired, which a: yeah, kind of but b: I'm tired of the stress involved with my current job. He said that if the fire command came to him from anyone he'd deny it, and I reiterated I'm still going to be looking for work outside of the company.

Last night I applied for a new job. I would be taking about a $3k paycut, but after talking to the hiring manager, there are 4 hours of mandatory OT a week which would bring that amount back. It's also 10 miles closer, and the commute would be 20 minutes shorter. And the work environment is business casual, but relaxed.

Fingers crossed.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    sales people who cold call are probably the worst of people in the realm of "sales people are the worst people"

• Options
    Yes I am a small doctors office I don't know how much tech equipment you think I go through but once every 3 months is too much.

Don't call me, I'll call you.

On second thought, I won't actually probably call you and just go to amazon or newegg instead because you've annoyed the piss out of me.

• Options
    Look if only you had some sort of test subject you could test the spray on rubber, the valve fixes on

Some sort of....

my fingers?

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Yes I am a small doctors office I don't know how much tech equipment you think I go through but once every 3 months is too much.

Don't call me, I'll call you.

On second thought, I won't actually probably call you and just go to amazon or newegg instead because you've annoyed the piss out of me.

I'm really glad we've got a downtown branch I can shunt all those people to. I mean, they're not going to buy anything anyway, but it makes the conversations way shorter on my end.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular

Some sort of....

Intern

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    It shouldn't have attached itself to genius if it was so afraid of getting dirty once in a while.

• Options
    Bowen, I have a great offer on 60,000 metzenbaum scissors in one great set! If you act now I'll throw in a gently used ultrasound equipment station, free*!

*not counting shipping, handling, and administrative fees

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I don't know why you guys are so worried about the theoretical guinea pig when my skin is right there

Not for long it's not, from the sounds of it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    My antique telegraph key/laptop finally died, so I just picked up a cheap Dell laptop to lug around to various meetings. It's been installing and updating itself for about half an hour now.

It's kind of depressing how many times I have to refuse enthusiastic requests from Windows 10 and Dell Bloatware asking if they can crap inside my new computer and sell my information to the highest bidder. Old people are doomed.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    My antique telegraph key/laptop finally died, so I just picked up a cheap Dell laptop to lug around to various meetings. It's been installing and updating itself for about half an hour now.

It's kind of depressing how many times I have to refuse enthusiastic requests from Windows 10 and Dell Bloatware asking if they can crap inside my new computer and sell my information to the highest bidder. Old people are doomed.

Ah, aren't we all, eventually?

Children's rights are human rights.
This discussion has been closed.