As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Twilight Imperium: 4th edition - Game #1: And they're off!

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    At least the set map doesn't have any red systems adjacent a home system's coreward space. That was the biggest kiss of death.

• Options
    Added Round Overview quick reference image to OP. Should provide a better outline of how the steps work.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Wow this filled quick!

• Options
    Blarney will be setting up a game you can get into...with me! At least I won't have to face Preda!

• Options
    Ouch. This is going to take a while. I have to touch up the planet tiles to make them readable then paste together multiple zoomed in high rez shots to form a single image. Probably take until the weekend.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    We appreciate the dedication!

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Ouch. This is going to take a while. I have to touch up the planet tiles to make them readable then paste together multiple zoomed in high rez shots to form a single image. Probably take until the weekend.
    This is part of the reason why my game is not yet up. Graphical updates.

Hello, races of the galaxy. It has been a long time since we have been able to make our presences known. Through these dark millennia, we have struggled to survive our exile from power, and we know that in the absence of our great leadership, the galaxy has become stagnant. But rest assured that we have learned from the mistakes made by the old galactic leaders. The L1z1x are an evolution of the old Lazax, and if we must earn back your respect to lead the galaxy to a great new age, we shall spare nothing do so.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Good luck you mad bastards.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    This is part of the reason why my game is not yet up. Graphical updates.

Hello, races of the galaxy. It has been a long time since we have been able to make our presences known. Through these dark millennia, we have struggled to survive our exile from power, and we know that in the absence of our great leadership, the galaxy has become stagnant. But rest assured that we have learned from the mistakes made by the old galactic leaders. The L1z1x are an evolution of the old Lazax, and if we must earn back your respect to lead the galaxy to a great new age, we shall spare nothing do so.

I was going to go with photoshopping together all the actual planet tiles but the resolution is worse than I thought so you can't read them clearly. I have to slap on new titles to everything but can't read the names in the first place so I have to compare them to the planet spreadsheet until I find a match, then do that for every planet tile WHAT COULD BE SIMPLER?

Backstory! Did you know the L1z1x created the Nekkro virus? You madmen!

• Options
    Ok screw it. I'm going with the old map system that Blarney used. Going to make it a lot easier and quicker to get this going. Should be done tonight.

• Options
    Starting positions 1-6

geth roll 1d100 for Mojo
    geth roll 1d100for Brody
    geth roll 1d100 for Hedgethorn
    geth roll 1d100 for Elvenshae
    geth roll 1d100 for Preda
    geth roll 1d100 for MrBlarney

Mojo:
    1d100 69 [1d100=69]
    Hedgethorn:
    1d100 99 [1d100=99]
    Elvenshae:
    1d100 65 [1d100=65]
    Preda:
    1d100 53 [1d100=53]
    MrBlarney:
    1d100 64 [1d100=64]

• Options
    Oops let's do that again with Brody

geth roll 1d100 for Mojo
    geth roll 1d100 for Brody
    geth roll 1d100 for Hedgethorn
    geth roll 1d100 for Elvenshae
    geth roll 1d100 for Preda
    geth roll 1d100 for MrBlarney

Mojo:
    1d100 58 [1d100=58]
    Brody:
    1d100 14 [1d100=14]
    Hedgethorn:
    1d100 42 [1d100=42]
    Elvenshae:
    1d100 75 [1d100=75]
    Preda:
    1d100 4 [1d100=4]
    MrBlarney:
    1d100 76 [1d100=76]

• Options
    1- MrBlarney
    2- Elvenshae
    3- Mojo
    4- Hedgethorn
    5- Brody
    6- Preda

• Options
    When you reference "Players may post actions in bold using their race's color", you mean the ship / token color we get assigned, right? Not, like, the color on our race's infosheet?

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    When you reference "Players may post actions in bold using their race's color", you mean the ship / token color we get assigned, right? Not, like, the color on our race's infosheet?

For me, it will be the color of victory, for the rest of you, it will be the color of surrender.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options

Yes, color of the ships. A lot of the colors on sheets are repeated since there are only 6 colors but 17 races. I'll try to match up the ship color to sheet color as best I can though.

• Options
    Putting the map together, one design thing I think they really dropped the ball on is the iconography. They have red/blue/green symbols to denote planet type yet also use the same colors and vague symbols for planet tech specialty. The only real way to tell them apart is the planet type symbol is next to the planet name while tech symbol is next to the resource value. They really should have made it clearer. Either use different colors, have a colored letter 'T' for tech specialty, or something.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    (ignore)

MrBody on
  • Options
    Backstory! Did you know the L1z1x created the Nekkro virus? You madmen!
    As we said. Mistakes were made. As far as this timeline is concerned, you need not worry about the influence of the Nekro Virus.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Is ... is this thing on? Hello? Hello? Can you hear us? *pok pok pok* This reality is so weird with its ... Oh! There you are! Hello, fleshbeings! We couldn't help but notice your lovely universe, so we decided to stop on by for a bit of sightseeing! We can't wait to experience all of the fun corporeality brings!

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    We welcome you to what will soon be our Empire.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Alright, so I was able to go with the shots of the actual system components. A lot of them were taken from odd angles and perspectives so I tried my best to make them fit with the skew function. A lot of the planet name are hard to read but I can just add text layers as we go.

Besides that, anyone have any functionality issues with it?
    0ORHxs6.png

If anyone with multiple planet home systems wants a different infantry/pds distribution, let me know. I imagine everyone wants to start their dock on the higher resource planet.

Note to TI3 vets: you can no longer move pds units. They remain wherever they are built, and may only be built using the construction strategy card.

MrBody on
  • Options
    @Preda you want to change your starting tech now that you see the map?

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Yeah I think if we have text overlays for planet names then that will work just fine

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    The galaxy conformation clarely calls for a change in our scholarly pursues. Obviously we'll research Antimass deflectors. Nothing may stand between us and out rightful seat of power!

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular

Yes, color of the ships. A lot of the colors on sheets are repeated since there are only 6 colors but 17 races. I'll try to match up the ship color to sheet color as best I can though.

Can someone tell me my ship color? (I'm color blind.) I can distinguish all six colors of ships on the map, but I'm far from certain what each color ought to be called.

• Options
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

Can someone tell me my ship color? (I'm color blind.) I can distinguish all six colors of ships on the map, but I'm far from certain what each color ought to be called.

I'm pretty sure you are Forest green

• Options
    I'm not a big fan of how the tiles aren't particularly flush, but it'll do for now. I also think that the magenta and yellow pieces are the only ones that truly pop from the background; the rest are okay but they do blend in a little bit with the board.

In other news, I finished up regraphicking the Tech Tree last night, so if you want to link that, I've got it here: Tech Tree.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    I'm not a big fan of how the tiles aren't particularly flush, but it'll do for now. I also think that the magenta and yellow pieces are the only ones that truly pop from the background; the rest are okay but they do blend in a little bit with the board.

In other news, I finished up regraphicking the Tech Tree last night, so if you want to link that, I've got it here: Tech Tree.

Flush?

Map improvements I'm working on:

-Planet name text
    -Add a drop shadow to units to make them stand out more
    -Highlight tech specialty icons better
    -?

Thanks for the tech tree! Adding to OP.

• Options
    How's this? Better? Too much?
    fnBtAiO.png

• Options
    Looks fine to me

• Options

Flush?

Well, you know me. I'm just a little annoyed that there are gaps and overlaps between hexes.

The highlighting around the units make them easier to see, yeah. Should work.

Are we using promissory notes in this game?

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Yes promissory notes.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    For everyone's future reference, Geth should be able to do choices/permutations for you. This makes assignments easier and you don't have ties etc.

e.g.

Geth roll 13p6 for factions (Mojo, Brody, Hedgethorn, Elvenshae, Preda, MrBlarney)
    Geth roll 6p6 for player order (Mojo, Brody, Hedgethorn, Elvenshae, Preda, MrBlarney)

That said, seeing a high/low roll can be fun too. But this is a better way to deal/shuffle.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    edit: Looks like that ain't working for some reason. :lol:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Determine speaker

geth roll 1d1000 for Mojo
    geth roll 1d1000 for Brody
    geth roll 1d1000 for Hedgethorn
    geth roll 1d1000 for Elvenshae
    geth roll 1d1000 for Preda
    geth roll 1d1000 for MrBlarney

Mojo:
    1d1000 883 [1d1000=883]
    Brody:
    1d1000 68 [1d1000=68]
    Hedgethorn:
    1d1000 718 [1d1000=718]
    Elvenshae:
    1d1000 581 [1d1000=581]
    Preda:
    1d1000 587 [1d1000=587]
    MrBlarney:
    1d1000 504 [1d1000=504]

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Round 1 - Strategy Phase

Map
    87zuDDam.png
    full map (planet name labels coming soon)
    87zuDDa.png
    (unit visual reference)

Objectives
    I - Lead from the Front - Spend a total of 3 tokens from your strategy and/or tactics pool - 1 VP
    I - Diversify Research - Own 2 technologies in each of 2 colors. - 1 VP
    I- ???
    I- ???
    I- ???
    II- ???
    II- ???
    II- ???
    II- ???
    II - ???

Victory Track
    Mojo - 0
    Brody - 0
    Hedgethorn - 0
    Elvenshae - 0
    Preda - 0
    MrBlarney - 0

Technologies
    Ciz5AvY.png

Promissory notes (any player may give these to another)
    Race specific promissory notes (only the stated race may give these)

Player mats

MrBlarney
    OpJwNE1.png

Elvenshae
    S7O4L2X.png

Mojo **Speaker**
    TmBpZuJ.png

Hedgethorn
    N1G4pn2.png

Brody
    3gQuxNh.png

Preda
    5edIz9l.png

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    We have liftoff!

@Mojo_Jojo to choose strategy card first

cards
    F9TgzcL.png
    2PQjpdt.png
    remember: the holder of the card gets to perform the primary (and only the primary), all other players get to perform the secondary

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Strategy card and first round advice for new people:
    -When picking a card, keep in mind not only what you want to gain, but what you can deny your opponents. You might want to pick a card just to deny it from someone else, or to control the timing of when it's played so you can wait until it's useless or limited to them (ex. waiting to play the warfare card until after others have activated their home system to build in, denying them the ability to move those units that turn, or playing Technology after everyone has exhausted their planets).

-A tactical action has you take a token from your tactical action box and place it in a system that does not already have one of your tokens in it (you cannot activate a system twice a round (normally)). You may then move any units that can reach it into the system, then fight any combat, then build off space docks in that system. Important to remember that your units cannot move out of a system you have a token in. Careful in activating systems that already have your units in it since you will not be able to move them out that round. Likewise, you normally cannot move units you built that round (since your token was placed in the system to activate it). This is why the Diplomacy primary ability essentially locks out all other players from a system that round.

- The Warfare primary frees up a system to move or build again, while the secondary lets you build units without activating the system. Keeping this in mind and the timing of it is massively important the first round to expand quickly with existing or new units.

- Keep your fleet supply in mind when moving or building.

Keep in mind the change in trading rules from TI3: A player who has a unit/planet next to another player's unit/planet is considered a neighbor to them. Transactions of commodities, trade goods, or promissory notes can only be conducted between neighbors. The active player can initiate one transaction to each neighbor per turn. Any effects that would be immediate ("I will give you a trade good to not fire your PDS on me.") is binding if accepted. (page 17 of learn to play book for complete trading rules)

MrBody on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Warfare

Obviously we don't mean the nasty kind of warfare. We like to think of it more like efficiency. Yes, efficiency. Happy to do some promissory note swapping to ensure people don't get the wrong idea if it makes you feel better

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule