As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel! Makes kids comic with Arms Company, forgets Iron Man's origin story.

BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
edited October 2017 in Social Entropy++
It's, kinda, over everyone!

Nazi Steve is gone!
He isn't, he's just arrested and will inevitably be back.
Real Steve is back!
Kinda, he's a re-creation of Steve from the memories of a sentient cosmic cube. Yay.
Everything's gonna be great again!
Legacy looks incredibly boring and uninspired.

In better news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTgNlfAht4I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxWvtMOGAhw
These look rad as hell!

CYpGAPn.png
BlankZoe on

• Options
    And the real reason I started a new thread

THE RIDE NEVER ENDS. In response to the brief glimpse of a Hydra-ruled world that Nazi Steve briefly asserts onto reality, Nick Spencer and Axel Alonso commented:
    “Hopefully one day we get the chance to go back and show a little more of that.” said Spencer

While Marvel EIC Axel Alonso added “It did occur to me there might be some stories to tell. I’m yet to receive a pitch but I’m open to it – there may be more metaphors to be found.”

Yeah

go back to the Nazi shit

that's what everyone wants

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Like the metaphor of how actually it's just the Roman Salute?

• Options
    Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    Nazi steve is really something that should really been an alternate universe story

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Nazi Steve reached a conclusion in quite possibly the stupidest way possible.
    IT'S almost impressive.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Nazi Steve would probably be the worst alternate universe Steve right? Even Marvel Zombies Steve wasn't that bad; he just wanted to eat your brains, at least he wasn't a friggin' Nazi.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Nazi Steve reached a conclusion in quite possibly the stupidest way possible.
    IT'S almost impressive.

Even IGN, who gave the series mostly high marks for the 10 issues prior, thought the ending shit the bed.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    I'm a big believer in the whole "just like the comics that you like, and ignore the rest" mindset, but goddamn did Marvel really shit the bed post-Secret Wars.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    it's funny because when you look at it, the only thing that changed at marvel was the quality of the books

the hype game and corporate strategies were exactly the same

it's amazing how much goodwill you can squander so quickly just by being really braggadocios about your shitty product

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    it's funny because when you look at it, the only thing that changed at marvel was the quality of the books

it's amazing how much goodwill you can squander so quickly just by being really braggadocios about your shitty product

As much as they had stuff I didn't like, that was definitely more personal preference. Post Secret Wars was just unquestionably lower quality.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    So apparently the Generations one-shots aren't time travel despite appearing to be time travel in every single way
    They are all just fantasy scenarios created by Kobik to give the heroes "enlightenment" via their original mantle holders.
    Except they aren't the real originals, just re-creations.

So the only thing even more pointless than time travel.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Are they What If scenarios? Happening in their heads? Will the heroes remember them?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Nazi steve is really something that should really been an alternate universe story

Should have been one of the alternate realities earth-65 Captain America encountered. Then she could have done the same thing she did to TrumpModok.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Are they What If scenarios? Happening in their heads? Will the heroes remember them?
    They remember them but
    otherwise they appear to be in their own little pocket universes created by Kobik.

Kobik is such a terrible creation. Like, on paper "sentient reality warping artifact with the mind of a small child" could be interesting but in reality she is just a walking plot device that does nothing other than fuck with characters history or reality

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Should have been one of the alternate realities earth-65 Captain America encountered. Then she could have done the same thing she did to TrumpModok.

She actually did fight a Naziverse! That's how she got lost in the multiverse. It could've been that!

But for real someone make a Samantha Wilson book

• Options

Well they before they won't so public about how artist don't matter and diversity is the reason their books don't sell

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Oh my god Inhumans came out yesterday

I have heard literally nobody talk about it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    They remember them but
    otherwise they appear to be in their own little pocket universes created by Kobik.

Kobik is such a terrible creation. Like, on paper "sentient reality warping artifact with the mind of a small child" could be interesting but in reality she is just a walking plot device that does nothing other than fuck with characters history or reality

Honestly, in some ways it reminds me of Hope, although Hope also had the whole teaser of "Is she Jean Grey Reborn!?" or not. Which Reminds me of how they teased Nu52 Batgirl, actually.

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Oh my god Inhumans came out yesterday

I have heard literally nobody talk about it

Don't blame me I went to the fair.

I had to decide between getting a funnel cake and hastening my inevitable heart failure or save money to go to the movies.

I bought TWO funnel cakes

• Options
    This is the first time in a very long time I was not aware that a Marvel thing was coming out and had already come out

where's all the doomsaying the first time it's been warranted

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    They remember them but

Honestly, in some ways it reminds me of Hope, although Hope also had the whole teaser of "Is she Jean Grey Reborn!?" or not. Which Reminds me of how they teased Nu52 Batgirl, actually.
    Hope had the benefit of being given proper character arcs and whatnot through her journey with Cable and then Spurrier's X-Force

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    This is the first time in a very long time I was not aware that a Marvel thing was coming out and had already come out

There has been doomsaying since the first trailer

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

I mean the usual "is this the end for Marvel??" thing that happens whenever one of their movies is slightly weird or is projected to make less than a billion dollars

Their TV efforts are in the shitter and it's just been kinda accepted

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Because Marvel TV and Marvel Movies are totally separate divisions and the TV stuff doesn't affect the Movie shit so people don't care

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    kobik to me is more of a "hold my beer" to people thinking scarlet witch is just a plot device these days

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    kobik to me is more of a "hold my beer" to people thinking scarlet witch is just a plot device these days
    Literally the only good thing I can think of with Kobik is that scene where Kraven lures her out of hiding by throwing a birthday tea party

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    How can you even watch Inhumans anyway? Or is it just in IMAX still?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    It's just in IMAX and will premiere on ABC later this month

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

I mean the usual "is this the end for Marvel??" thing that happens whenever one of their movies is slightly weird or is projected to make less than a billion dollars

Their TV efforts are in the shitter and it's just been kinda accepted

Listen, every superhero TV show can't be as good as Gotham...

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Was there any actual consequence to Cthon possessing Wanda? Because that's usually what happens in the last issue of a crossover when it looks like all the heroes are beaten kinda thing

• Options
    Was there any actual consequence to Cthon possessing Wanda? Because that's usually what happens in the last issue of a crossover when it looks like all the heroes are beaten kinda thing
    She's cleansed of the possession and joins the Uncanny Avengers. Rogue briefly is like YO YOU WERE EVIL but then it is pointed out that basically all of them have been mind controlled or possessed in the past and were accepted back with open arms so it is shitty to not give Wanda the same chance.

They really should have used something other than Chthon, cause that dude is meant to be well above just possessing a character to work with a Nazi. He's like an elder god.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I will say that while I think Marvel is in the toilet right now

All-New Guardians of the Galaxy is an absolutely fantastic book that is basically the antithesis of Bendis' run. All of the characters are pitch perfect and Duggan is working overtime to reconcile their MCU inspired versions with their past selves along with pushing the Cosmic MU forward in interesting ways.

The art is also great, with the main storylines swapping between Aaron Kuder and Marcus To and single character focused interludes featuring guest artists like Frazier Irving and Chris Samnee.

It's easily the best book the characters have been in since DnA's run ended, highly recommend it.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    She's cleansed of the possession and joins the Uncanny Avengers. Rogue briefly is like YO YOU WERE EVIL but then it is pointed out that basically all of them have been mind controlled or possessed in the past and were accepted back with open arms so it is shitty to not give Wanda the same chance.

They really should have used something other than Chthon, cause that dude is meant to be well above just possessing a character to work with a Nazi. He's like an elder god.

Don't forget the aliens hailing Hydra.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Despite the weird framing of the Generations stories, I really liked the Wolverine and Hawkeye ones.

• Options
    Despite the weird framing of the Generations stories, I really liked the Wolverine and Hawkeye ones.
    I think the stories themselves are fine

But selling them as these incredibly important earth-shaking stories shot themselves in the foot because most of them are out by now and they're pretty much just inconsequential time travel one shots

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    The comics marketing really needs to chill

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    comics marketing hasn't been chill since 1961

• Options
    Yeah but the internet didn't exist in 1961

It's a lot easier to swallow, like, ads in a comic saying how rad another comic is gonna be

It's a whole lot more grating to have months of constant hype pieces and interviews filled with hollow exaggeration and straight up lies

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    comics marketing hasn't been chill since 1961

And has more or less always been bad.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Hahahahaha we have a new dumbest rumor

Jeff Sneider reports that Sony is developing a Nightwatch solo film, directed by Spike Lee.
    863685.jpg
    This Spawn knock-off whose most recent appearance was as a villain in a (admittedly very good) She-Hulk story

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    i need this to be true

6vjsgrerts6r.png

This discussion has been closed.