As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Twilight Imperium: 4th edition - Game #1: And they're off!

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    (the best thing about TI is how much I already regret that card choice)

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    The other thing I'd think about adding to the map is a player-color-race key.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    (the best thing about TI is how much I already regret that card choice)

Anyone can take back decisions up until the next player makes a decision or a die is rolled.

Also goldenrod is a lot more readable color to use for yellow.

MrBody on
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    The other thing I'd think about adding to the map is a player-color-race key.

Added to user names for the player mats. They will also always be listed in clockwise order from the 12 o clock position (Blarney as L1z1x first).

edited September 2017
    @Hedgethorn

hedges...thorns...playing the plants

MrBody on
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I'll take Leadership.

@Brody

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    @MrBody Is there a tech specialty on my home planet? I swear it looks like there's a blurry icon where the tech specialty symbol would be, but maybe I'm imagining that.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Construction

I can read

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    MrBody Is there a tech specialty on my home planet? I swear it looks like there's a blurry icon where the tech specialty symbol would be, but maybe I'm imagining that.

You hear a voice from beyond the void:

In TI4, none of the starting planets have tech specialties.

You are seeing the spores of the grand symphony filtering through the atmosphere of your beautiful self, allowing your population of 1 to communicate to all things at land, sea, air, and in space.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Every home system tile has that race's emblem in the bottom left corner.

• PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Diplomacy

@MrBlarney

What's this? A new map?

It's so...flush!

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I will take (3) Politics.

@Elvenshae to close things out.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Technology (7)

Elvenshae on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    One thing I'd totally missed about the politics card (it's not super clear in the how to play) is that you can target yourself to be the new speaker. The only restriction is that you can't give the speaker to whoever currently holds it.

I'd assumed it was like the slightly messy Politics 2 from TI3.

Good change!

Elvenshae wrote: »
    Technology (7)

Good old fashioned red is fine for Creuss.

edited September 2017
    Round 1 - Action phase

Map
    87zuDDa.png

Objectives
    I - Lead from the Front - Spend a total of 3 tokens from your strategy and/or tactics pool - 1 VP
    I - Diversify Research - Own 2 technologies in each of 2 colors. - 1 VP
    I- ???
    I- ???
    I- ???
    II- ???
    II- ???
    II- ???
    II- ???
    II - ???

Victory Track
    Mojo - 0
    Brody - 0
    Hedgethorn - 0
    Elvenshae - 0
    Preda - 0
    MrBlarney - 0

Technologies
    Ciz5AvY.png

Promissory notes (any player may give these to another, "black player" was just for that set; insert your own color)
    Race specific promissory notes (only the stated race may give these)

Player mats

MrBlarney
    OpJwNE1.png

Elvenshae
    S7O4L2X.png

Mojo **Speaker**
    TmBpZuJ.png

Hedgethorn
    N1G4pn2.png

Brody
    3gQuxNh.png

Preda
    5edIz9l.png

Strategy cards
    F9TgzcL.png
    2PQjpdt.png

Hedgethorn - Leadership 1 *current turn*
    Preda - Diplomacy 2
    MrBlarney- Politics 3

Brody - Construction 4
    Mojo - Warfare 6
    Elvenshae - Technology 7

@Hedgethorn

There are special abilities, techs, and action cards that provide actions, but for the most part your action turn will either be playing your strategy card (and using your strategic action tokens to play off the secondary of others' cards), activating a system to move into or build in it (using your tactical tokens), or passing (ends your actions for the phase other than playing off others' strategy cards; you cannot pass if your strategy card has not been played).

Keep in mind the timing of moving and stuff like warfare or construction, as you cannot move out of a system that you have activated that turn.

MrBody on
    edited September 2017
    Okay, I'm pretty sure this is a legal move for the Arborec. Do correct me if I'm wrong -- I played half a game of TI3 years ago, but nothing since.

Activate the Corneeo/Resculon system.
    Move 1 Carrier, 2 fighters, and 2 Infantry from Nestphar to the Corneeo/Resculon system.
    Invade Corneeo with 1 infantry.
    Invade Resculon with 1 infantry.
    Produce in the Corneeo/Resculon system using Arborec's special power of infantry production.
    Exhaust Nestphar to generate three resources.
    Produce 1 Cruiser and 1 Destroyer.
    Turn complete.

@MrBody

Edited the production step (twice).
    (Sorry.)

Hedgethorn on
    The production is legal, the payment is not. Captured planets are exhausted when you take them.

Oops. Didn't catch that. Exhaust Nestphar instead.

@MrBody

Nestphar is only worth 3 resources. A dread and destroyer cost 5 total.

@Hedgethorn

You must have caught me just between edits. One cruiser and one destroyer, please. The orders above should be right now.

@MrBody

Righto!

@Preda

Wait how did he produce? He didn't activate a system with a space dock and his racial power produces infantry during the status phase

Arborec infantry has a production capacity of 1.

edited September 2017
    Reading failure again

Brody on

Although in TI3 the rule was that Arborec infantry couldn't produce if they had moved that turn. I don't see any mention of that restriction here though.

edited September 2017
    I'd entirely missed his infantry had production. Scary stuff.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Activate Mellon-Zohbat.
    Get everything that moves there (cruiser, carrier, 2 fighters, 2 GF).
    Land Ground forces 1 per planet.
    Rest.

@MrBlarney next

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Activate the Bereg-Lirta IV system.
    Move in 1 Dreadnought, 1 Carrier, 2 Fighters, and 3 Infantry from the L1z1x Home System.
    Land 2 Infantry on Bereg, 1 Infantry on Lirta IV.

(Tac pool 3 --> 2)

@Brody has the next action.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    I checked on BGG. Confirmed that Arborec no longer have the old movement restriction for their ground forces production ability.

Activate the New Albion-Starpoint system
    Move Carrier with 3 Infantry and 1 Fighter and 1 Destroyer to New Albion-Starpoint
    Land 1 Infantry on New Albion, 2 on Starpoint.

Command Counter -1

edited September 2017
    A note to TI3 vets: keep in mind that dreads now start with 1 carrying capacity! (2 for L1z1x)

I'll allow take backs for everyone's very first move only.

MrBody on
    Do planetary research bonus's count for unit upgrades?

Brody wrote: »
    Do planetary research bonus's count for unit upgrades?

They count as a prerequisite for any tech. Unit upgrades are treated just like any other tech (except that they do not have a color and thus never count as a prerequisite themselves).

To use when purchasing a tech, the planet must be unexhausted. Exhaust it to use its tech bonus to bypass one single prerequisite of that color. A planet used this way for its tech specialty cannot also use its resources to pay for the tech; it's either resources OR the tech specialty.

edited September 2017
    Activate Abyz-Fria system
    Move 1 Carrier, 1 fighter, 2 ground troops
    Land a ground force on each

Mojo_Jojo on
    @Elvenshae you're up