As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    y7tMsrs.png

WIP Infinity Spec Ops special model from GenCon. His operations are most special.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I don't know if you specifically wanted him to be dark grey, but for me, that is a perfect example of one of the things this thread has taught me.

There is no black on him, but in the context of the model, he appears to be wearing a black spec ops suit of some kind.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Really like the squid hat guy. May need to track one down to use as a warlock for D&D.
    Am I a gnome serving an eldritch squid god? Or a squid serving an eldritch gnome god?

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    I don't know if you specifically wanted him to be dark grey, but for me, that is a perfect example of one of the things this thread has taught me.

There is no black on him, but in the context of the model, he appears to be wearing a black spec ops suit of some kind.

Yeah, Infinity has required me to really think through what black cloth looks like...as you mentioned, it's mostly grays/blues. I had to avoid the temptation to make his goggles green instead of orange. I want him to be Sam Fisher, but I also have orange everywhere as my army's accent color...

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    mr_mich wrote: »

Yeah, Infinity has required me to really think through what black cloth looks like...as you mentioned, it's mostly grays/blues. I had to avoid the temptation to make his goggles green instead of orange. I want him to be Sam Fisher, but I also have orange everywhere as my army's accent color...

That reminds me that I still have a primed Marbo Fisher conversion somewhere that I didn't finish painting when GW kicked him from the codex. Is he back in 8th so far?

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Finished my Bokor, now to work on the Gobber

Bokor_Finished.png

Bokor_Finished_2.png

Bokor_Finished_3.png

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »
    mr_mich wrote: »

That reminds me that I still have a primed Marbo Fisher conversion somewhere that I didn't finish painting when GW kicked him from the codex. Is he back in 8th so far?

He was back at the end of 7th, I think. Not sure about 8th.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Also, I'm in Atlanta visiting my wife. She has an art event tonight starting around 7, I think. I'm going to be at Giga-bites painting. Anyone in the Atl area want to meet up on short notice?

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    And lo, I did indeed finish my Gobber Chef this week! Indeed, he only took me one day to make. I don't know how to feel about that exactly, since I actually think he might be the best I've done so far (of the more detailed models at least) though hopefully that's just a demonstration of my increasing skill (though as always a closer inspection reveals at least one or two smudges I could correct)

Gobber_Chef_1.png

Gobber_Chef_2.png

Gobber_Chef_3.png

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    There's always "one or two" smudges you can correct. Or more.

The trick is getting it to a level that you can accept and it will look good on a table or in a display case, depending on your preference.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Okay I have a new favorite paint color.

900620_sm-.JPG

MSP Bones series Dungeon Slime. It's the perfect spooky ghost color. Not sure though how I want to highlight it though. Would ghosts follow fire rules or solid rules as far highlights, would they get lighter edges and darker recesses or brighter recesses and darker tips?

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Glue arrived today and the X-Wing (Bandai 1/72) part has been repaired! The construction can continue tonight. I bought the Y-Wing as well, so I'll have my Yavin fleet ready to go.

Right now I'm thinking of just piecing them together and throwing stickers on them. If I do want to get adventurous and paint them, will going back and doing so later be that much more difficult?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Bokor_Finished.png

Bokor_Finished_2.png

Bokor_Finished_3.png

Why is the hand the same colour as the rest of the model?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Okay I have a new favorite paint color.

900620_sm-.JPG

MSP Bones series Dungeon Slime. It's the perfect spooky ghost color. Not sure though how I want to highlight it though. Would ghosts follow fire rules or solid rules as far highlights, would they get lighter edges and darker recesses or brighter recesses and darker tips?

I would go with normal highlights with some additional shading for face and weapons to make those parts look more solid. Inverse highlighting might look very nice, too, but it is much harder to pull off

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

Bokor_Finished.png

Bokor_Finished_2.png

Bokor_Finished_3.png

Why is the hand the same colour as the rest of the model?

Because the hand he's holding is a Gatorman hand (at least it seemed like it to me), and although I did try to go over it with some greyish green to show it's rotting, I decided it would make sense for it to be from a gatorman with the same color scheme as the Bokor. I did consider making it more obviously light green (this would have made the candle wax more obvious) but decided a grey-green wash/drybrush would work alright.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Blehhh I need to get both faster at painting, since these five took me over a month to finish, in several hour chunks, multiple days....and also better at taking pictures.

Whatever, first unit of Skryre Acolytes/Skitarii Vanguard are DONE

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

A couple months ago I ordered some salamand-y shoulderpads and capes with the idea that I'd do a primaris combat squad with 'em. Same place I ordered some space marine guitars a few months back.

It finally came and I'm not sure if it was a make-good since the order was really late or what but it basically came with a crapload of that studio's not-salamanders bits including a pair of cyclone launchers and enough parts to make most of four space marines. Who I immediately went to work on turning into fist/flamer company veterans.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    I'm so glad the Reaper Bones 4 Kickstarter is over. It made sense to back the core set, but who knows why I went mad with desire and bought add-ons.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Fuselage wrote: »
    I'm so glad the Reaper Bones 4 Kickstarter is over. It made sense to back the core set, but who knows why I went mad with desire and bought add-ons.

I had to cap myself at a $300 pledge, but I'll probably spend another couple hundred before the pledge manager closes. >.>

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Fuselage wrote: »

I had to cap myself at a $300 pledge, but I'll probably spend another couple hundred before the pledge manager closes. >.>

267. :(

I have regrets, and now I'll have a Shame Army.

Edit: As penance I should publish an article called Divorce, and it's short term influence on restraint.

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    I think I have painted maybe 20 miniatures from previous 3 bones kickstarters, but I still went in and bid more.

It's just so convenient to have a pile of minis for every occasion.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    jammu wrote: »
    I think I have painted maybe 20 miniatures from previous 3 bones kickstarters, but I still went in and bid more.

It's just so convenient to have a pile of minis for every occasion.

I stared and stared at Bones 3, and just nothing jumped out at me. At some point, a giant pile of fantasy miniatures stops doing it for me, I guess.

The three robot looking things in the middle though....can't wait for those to hit store shelves, some time in 2020.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    I love those bones kickstarters. I have a ton of nieces and nephews from some very sexually irresponsible siblings, and they're a great and cost effective way to have some arts and crafts fun painting rad monsters (and fancy angel stuff for the ones who can't take demons home to mom). I've even had some responses from their art teachers about where to find them after they got in trouble for starting one of those collectible problems at their school.

• Options
    I have now 'Ardcoated another squad of tac marines. This evening, I'll be applying decals and then dullcoting them. I've had these minis for ages. It feels real good to out paint to them and get them finally ready for action.

Now... do I finally do that Devastator squad, which has been the star of several games, or keep the tac squad goodness rolling and start on 4th squad? Dilemmas, dilemmas.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Devastators will sit in 2+ cover all game and kill stuff. They will be both useful and visible. The tac squads will be in rhinos or getting shot up as they vainly attempt to score objectives or throw themselves at tougher foes. They will be less useful and either hidden or dead. I'd paint the devastators, you'll be able to appreciate their paint jobs more during games.

• Options
    True, but I'm painting a whole company, so I'll have to paint the tac squad eventually.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    X-Wing complete! Next up is stickers (damn so of these are small) and pictures. Excite!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Okay, I can't get over calling salamanders spicy boys

That's the funniest damn thing

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Finished some more Neverborn - Stitched Together. I wasn't enthusiastic about painting these at all. They're brown sacs with a few extra details. In fact they're been on my painting desk half finished for ages because I just didn't care enough to finish them. But I've committed to finishing the rest of my Neverborn before I start the Fae, so these finally got done.

900815_sm-.JPG
    900816_sm-.JPG

• Options
    So far, all of my tactical marines use black tactical arrow transfers. Since there are only twenty on the FW transfer sheet that are black, and the GW space marine transfer sheet doesn't have any at all, I've run out. I don't want to spend $25 for another FW sheet.

So this is my plan, there are some on the FW sheet that ate white, but outlined in black. I was going to paint them in, and hope I'm steady enough not to screw it up.

However, looking at them, as they are now, they don't look bad. The only reason to paint them black is maintain uniformity with the first two squads. What do you think?

3MRqP09.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    I'd just use the tactical markers as is. It gives you some variety between squads, and lets you differentiate who's who if they get into a big melee.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Finished some more Neverborn - Stitched Together. I wasn't enthusiastic about painting these at all. They're brown sacs with a few extra details. In fact they're been on my painting desk half finished for ages because I just didn't care enough to finish them. But I've committed to finishing the rest of my Neverborn before I start the Fae, so these finally got done.

900815_sm-.JPG
    900816_sm-.JPG

Oh god, it's Mister Oogie Boogie! That's so freaking cool!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    TacoForceTacoForce Registered User regular
    tdb5nvzoohs8.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2017
    And just like that, 3rd squad is done. I think I'm going to keep this Tac squad train going. At this rate, it won't be long before I finish them all. Oh, the flamer I finished in the last batch belongs with this squad. And he's ultimately why I decided to paint the tac arrows black.

ekmnfq0.jpg

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    About to stick a fork in this guy. Just need to slime up his cables a bit and darken some of the shiny parts. Thinking about trying these Vallejo weathering powders, I've got every combination of engine grease, corrosion and rust imaginable but never use them.

901173_sm-Chaos%20Decimator.JPG

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    DI5NmxuVwAApP_R.jpg
    Needed a more interesting Sorcerer to drop in with my Terminators so remade him as an Apothecary Sorcerer

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    X-Wing Complete!

d9onxq66ctsv.jpg
    aym0e2dcut5m.jpg
    h9h8dapt5wl7.jpg
    mxbtmvzhpz7i.jpg

Not bad for a first time modeler. So if I did want to paint it, what should I do? There are obvious thing like graying the engine caps, but how do people pull of the dark lines and weathered stickers look?

whdv6zup2cn4.jpg

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Dark panel lines are achieved one of two ways: careful lining in with a pen or brush, or using a varnish to alter the surface texture then washing over with a suitably dense pigment, followed by removing the excess.

Beaten up markings can be achieved by simply painting pseudorandom splotches of the underlying colour over the top so it looks like the base is showing through.

Dark oil smudges, soot scoring, rust, and other weathering is typically done with powdered pigment applied dry then sealed. This is normally the very last step as the intended effect would naturally overlay other details.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Dark panel lines are achieved one of two ways: careful lining in with a pen or brush, or using a varnish to alter the surface texture then washing over with a suitably dense pigment, followed by removing the excess.

Beaten up markings can be achieved by simply painting pseudorandom splotches of the underlying colour over the top so it looks like the base is showing through.

Dark oil smudges, soot scoring, rust, and other weathering is typically done with powdered pigment applied dry then sealed. This is normally the very last step as the intended effect would naturally overlay other details.

Any tutorials you'd recommend? Can I still do it in the final form or is it a pre-build phase thing?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Any tutorials you'd recommend? Can I still do it in the final form or is it a pre-build phase thing?

YouTube but you will find a lot of train stuff
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx3Vx5uhkZo

the robot does it in a lot of the indepth videos paintings

This discussion has been closed.