As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Strix In The Mix

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Strix In The Mix

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    AkamarAkamar Registered User regular
    I really studied the wrong field in college.. -_-

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Comic isn't lying. Holly's costume was awesome.

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    For the unaware

DI5VZpHUwAAgsYs.jpg

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I mean, with teeth like that it was either witchery or British talk show host.

• Options
    JackJack Registered User regular
    @MichaelLC Britain actually has much better teeth than the US now.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Why let the facts get in the way of a tired stereotype?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Why let the facts get in the way of a tired stereotype?

Exactly. Now git on over here so I can shoot ya with one of my many guns.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Is strix a vampire?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Doh, tiefling

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Holy shit PAX is four days now.

I wish I knew what it was like to build something so successful. Oh well maybe one day.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Doh, tiefling

Or possibly a teethling.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I watched the game on Twitch. It was awesome.

Now I want to find out what happens!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Explain it like I'm five. What?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    PAX West was this weekend.

At PAX West they played a game of DnD with their Acquisitions Inc "A-Team" with Jerry on Omin Dran, Mike on Jim Darkmagic, Patrick Rothfuss on Vieri (sp?), and special guest star Holly Conrad playing her own DnD character, Strix. The DM was Chris Perkins. Holly's character is a regular on a Wizards of the Coast DnD podcast show called "Dice Camera Action."

The game at PAX West is on the front page of the Penny Arcade Website right now, Jerry linked it. And the comic strip is about the game.

And the game ended in a pretty big cliffhanger and who knows when the hell we will find out what happens. (Probably next PAX).

Edit: Oh, and they were playing through an adventure module, written by Chris Perkins (the DM) called "Tomb of Annihilation." But since this is also part of the ongoing Acq Inc story arc, they had backstory reasons from previous PAX sessions for why they were doing this adventure module.

Edit 2: Specifically in reference to the comic, there was a bit of mage rivalry going on throughout the game between Jim Darkmagic and Strix. That's why Gabe is bitter/jealous of the attention Holly is getting. Because her costume was amazing and her contribution to the game was outstanding.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    Holly's outfit was brilliant!

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    Doh, tiefling

Or possibly a teethling.

That's the American pronunciation. Brits say "tiefling" because they can't say the "th" sound (probably because of their teef). E.g. "I can't be bovvered."

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

At PAX West they played a game of DnD with their Acquisitions Inc "A-Team" with Jerry on Omin Dran, Mike on Jim Darkmagic, Patrick Rothfuss on Vieri (sp?), and special guest star Holly Conrad playing her own DnD character, Strix. The DM was Chris Perkins. Holly's character is a regular on a Wizards of the Coast DnD podcast show called "Dice Camera Action."

The game at PAX West is on the front page of the Penny Arcade Website right now, Jerry linked it. And the comic strip is about the game.

And the game ended in a pretty big cliffhanger and who knows when the hell we will find out what happens. (Probably next PAX).

Edit: Oh, and they were playing through an adventure module, written by Chris Perkins (the DM) called "Tomb of Annihilation." But since this is also part of the ongoing Acq Inc story arc, they had backstory reasons from previous PAX sessions for why they were doing this adventure module.

Edit 2: Specifically in reference to the comic, there was a bit of mage rivalry going on throughout the game between Jim Darkmagic and Strix. That's why Gabe is bitter/jealous of the attention Holly is getting. Because her costume was amazing and her contribution to the game was outstanding.

Ohhh.

Now I wish all my D&D friends back in the day were professional cosplayers. I feel like that would have spiced the game up.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Jerry announced, during Q&A, that at PAX Unplugged The "C" Team would be doing their first live, on-stage show. That's why, at the end of this show
    Rosie Beestinger appeared.

For those unaware, The "C" Team is a weekly Acquisitions Incorporated game live streamed on the HyperRPG Twitch channel every Thursday at 6:30 PM Pacific/9:30 PM Eastern. It features

Jerry Holkins as the DM (a.k.a. DM Daddy)
    Dragonborn narcissist/paladin Donaar Blit'zen played by Ryan Hartman
    Wood Elf druid of Enclave Panax Anima, representing the natural world, Walnut Dankgrass (the 'k' is silent) played by Amy Falcone
    Halfling monk and 120 year old grandmother (not your grandma's grandma) Rosie Beestinger played by Kate Welch
    Drow warlock, emerging as though from a mist shroud, K'thriss Drow'b played by Kris Straub

Amazingly, there is more "C" Team content now than "A" Team content. So far, there have been 24(!) 2.5-3 hour episodes, which are available on PA's Twitch and YouTube (the live stream is on HyperRPG but the VOD are on PA's accounts). This first season is about Omin Dran's (Jerry's character in the main story) background, and will weave into The Tomb of Annihilation story.

Moreover, Jerry and Chris Perkins have been talking (and, indeed, are creating as evidenced by Strix's involvement in the last "A" Team game) a shared universe (the Chris Perkins Cinematic Universe, a.k.a. The Perkiverse).

But, yeah, definitely check out The "C" Team. Lots of great stuff there.

• Options
    ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    Ravelle wrote: »
    For the unaware

DI5VZpHUwAAgsYs.jpg

Lovely, is there concept art of this character, or was this a person's character as represented by themselves?

• Options
    http://dice-camera-action.wikia.com/wiki/Strix

Holly is an artist and costume designer. It's entirely original based on her own drawings and character concept.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Holly Conrad is pretty Con Rad!

Actually she's pretty rad out of cons too.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    The Ninth GuardianThe Ninth Guardian Registered User regular
    I just need to make sure everyone knows what an excellent choice Strix is as a name:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strix

In short, it's a mythological vampiric bird of ill omen as well as the genus name for a group of owls which includes one of my favorites, the inimitable Great Grey.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I just need to make sure everyone knows what an excellent choice Strix is as a name:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strix

In short, it's a mythological vampiric bird of ill omen as well as the genus name for a group of owls which includes one of my favorites, the inimitable Great Grey.

C Team's name game has been absolutely top notch.

steam_sig.png