As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Apologies for my shithouse camera and lighting, but I built a Librarian from bits I got from a friend and I don't know what to do with the Force Sword:

J3MqhQr.jpg

Action shot (I tried to model him as if he was in the process of channeling a psychic attack through the sword):

IHIoTrk.jpg

I don't know if I should try freehanding glyphs on it, or maybe trying a lighting pattern or something. Any suggestions?

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Lighting it would be easier and would look cooler

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Do a lightning pattern in a very thinned down white. Apply a wash in a color of your choice. Then do another thin lighting pattern in a different location, brighter this time. Wash again. Do one final lightning pattern. Do a gloss varnish. Bam, no effort required, just some time.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Dark panel lines are achieved one of two ways: careful lining in with a pen or brush, or using a varnish to alter the surface texture then washing over with a suitably dense pigment, followed by removing the excess.

Beaten up markings can be achieved by simply painting pseudorandom splotches of the underlying colour over the top so it looks like the base is showing through.

Dark oil smudges, soot scoring, rust, and other weathering is typically done with powdered pigment applied dry then sealed. This is normally the very last step as the intended effect would naturally overlay other details.

Any tutorials you'd recommend? Can I still do it in the final form or is it a pre-build phase thing?

Oil wash for the panel lines is probably the easiest way. The only part that could be problematic is the clear plastic cockpit. As preperation for the oil wash you need a gloss coat and afterwards you need a matt coat to get rid of the shine. If you spray on the clear plastic it will get screwed up, so you need to cover it with masking tape.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    There was a show on PBS when I was a kid that dealt with modeling and such he would do a kit from the box to finished with decals and if he wanted weathering
    But I will always remember the tip he said about putting on clear windows on anything with thinned down white glue just a tiny bead would do
    But when he did weathering it was some really arcane stuff with floor cleaners and salt to thickening paint to be like mud

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Picked up some a Macromat from Tablewar at NOVA and shot a few pictures in my room at 12:30 in morning under shitty hotel lighting. This thing was worth every penny.

EkXoKCRl.jpg
    PsDujtXl.jpg
    0HGF4S4l.jpg

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    All 3 are from Wrath of Kings and from the same faction, no less!

It really has some batshit crazy character designs and I love it. Gypsy vampires, werewolves with jetpacks, jellyfishmen, giant octopus cavalry, flying pigs, rage pandas, floating ninja murderbabies, the list goes on.

It also doesn't hurt that the game is rad as hell to play.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Not even werewolves with jetpacks.

Just wolves with jetpacks.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I just went to my FLGS and bought a few paints and brushes for my X/Y-Wings. Uh oh...

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Generally it takes me forever to decide on a painting scheme. Ironically right now I'm really sure on a painting scheme while the miniatures I want to paint aren't even out yet. Come on GW, release the Elven Union team. The Nagarythe Nomads desperately need some new jerseys.

honovere on
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    This land raider almost got me to stop painting entirely its been so frustrating. The previous owner did a bad job priming and I couldn't undo it

I think I'm calling it done tonight no matter where it's actually at

edited September 2017
    Not even werewolves with jetpacks.

Just wolves with jetpacks.

Nah it's a werewolf. It's just on all fours like a Worgen. Those forelimbs have hands.

EDIT: Here's the mini in question for those not familiar (I did not paint this):

l633iu6tlh18.png

Dr_Keenbean on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    house hadross looks rad as hell
    so do the werewolves
    they kinda look like the old rackham werewolf faction

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Dayspring wrote: »
    so do the werewolves

They were sculpted by the same person!

Hadross is my favorite. From what I've heard, Confrontation was the direct inspiration for Wrath of Kings.

One of these days I'd like to put up an OP about it but someone won't get his shit painted so I can take neat game photos. I should have taken a bunch of pics when I played at NOVA where I came in 4th in the tournament.
    Out of 4 people. @Extreaminatus came in 2nd.

In the meantime, WIP werewolf nipples:

fGZTNjyl.jpg

On the one hand, i'd love to try it.
    On the other, i got enough wargaming going on with GW and I've not even looked at infinity for a year

Working on an EC Noise Marine.
    Trying to figure out the perfect shade of purple.
    I'm quit happy with it so far, I think.
    DJDUz2qVoAADpvb.jpg

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I like that shade, it's a good mix of vibrant and dark.

I just finished my second Wrastler and Snapjaw. All I have left to paint is Wrongeye and Rask and my Gatorman force will be complete (for now)

2nd_Wrastler_1.png

2nd_Wrastler_2.png

Snapjaw_1.png

Snapjaw_2.png

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln

fGZTNjyl.jpg

Shouldn't he have like, eight nipples though?

• see317see317 Registered User regular

fGZTNjyl.jpg

Shouldn't he have like, eight nipples though?

Maybe if it was a wolf that turned into a half human/half wolf hybrid during a full moon.
    But if it's a human that turns into a half human/half wolf hybrid during the full moon the number of nipples stays the same.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    so do the werewolves

They were sculpted by the same person!

Hadross is my favorite. From what I've heard, Confrontation was the direct inspiration for Wrath of Kings.

One of these days I'd like to put up an OP about it but someone won't get his shit painted so I can take neat game photos. I should have taken a bunch of pics when I played at NOVA where I came in 4th in the tournament.
    Out of 4 people. @Extreaminatus came in 2nd.

fGZTNjyl.jpg

Well, someone also left his wet pallet down stairs and doesn't wanna go back for it!

I have successfully painted and based a fair amount of my chaos raptor army. Unfortunately, it's only the non raptor parts.

A1M94IW.jpg

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    And here's Wrongeye. All that's left is Rask.

Wrongeye_1.png

Wrongeye_2.png

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    H3myMZs_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I looked at my gunpla and though, man I wish my 40k stuff came with weapon effects too. And then thought wait a minuite.....

Norgoth on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Some of them new-fangled slow lasers...
    (looks awesome though)

website_header.jpg
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    H3myMZs_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I looked at my gunpla and though, man I wish my 40k stuff came with weapon effects too. And then thought wait a minuite.....

This is legit, and I'll share it with the people in my Gunpla meetup who also have 40K models.

I'd imagine that's what it would actually look like if a giant superheated beam of energy boiled the atmosphere around it while firing, if only for a split second. A mile-long coil of water vapor and ignited air debris.

I dunno how any sort of bolter weapon would work as far as modeling firing it though. Are heavy bolters and the like supposed to be self propelled rockets too or do they have an initial charge that could cause a muzzle flash?

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    I'd imagine that's what it would actually look like if a giant superheated beam of energy boiled the atmosphere around it while firing, if only for a split second. A mile-long coil of water vapor and ignited air debris.

I dunno how any sort of bolter weapon would work as far as modeling firing it though. Are heavy bolters and the like supposed to be self propelled rockets too or do they have an initial charge that could cause a muzzle flash?

Depends on who's writing the manufacturer of the bolter in question.
    I generally assume they have a small initial charge to start the bolt moving, but once it clears the muzzle the on board propulsion ignites.

• Da Bid DabidDa Bid Dabid Registered User regular
    Well... 8th edition might have me painting up 500 points of some old models. Keeps with my tradition of playing a few games of 40k every 3 editions. Here is my test scheme with the new darker models vs the old lighter ones. While once Vets, the Pig Iron guys will now be Scions. If anyone has any tips on how to do a lighter... pine looking wood grain I'd love to hear tips.

2Sme8j8.jpg

I will always respect anyone who does the pupils and whites in their miniature eyes. Because even the most bug eyed dudes are still getting nothing but a black wash for their haunted seen-too-much peepers in my armies.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I used to try to do pupils and whites, but have given up in favor of dark slits.

Here is my 4th tactical squad, going thru it's dry brushing routine. Finished the Averland Sunset, now a quick brush of Yriel Yellow to pick out some highlights. With the tactical squads, I'm skipping the edge highlight of Bleached Bone that sergeants, and characters get.

rmEadDV.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    edited September 2017
    I will always respect anyone who does the pupils and whites in their miniature eyes. Because even the most bug eyed dudes are still getting nothing but a black wash for their haunted seen-too-much peepers in my armies.

Yeah I'm grateful my current theme lets me get away pretty easily with just doing some light pink for albino eyes (though obviously if I did have more skill or patience I could be putting black slits on them)

Lord_Asmodeus on

I tried pupils once, painted something that looked like googly eyes, and promptly decided that it was a good thing that 99% of my army (Space Marines) wear helmets. I don't even have a pot of paint that I use for skin color, I just mix red, white, and yellow to create a peach color, then add a minuscule amount of brown to make it look more realistic, apply and wash.

There is a field of robotics that is currently being developed for medical applications that basically involve a miniaturized set of surgical tools and camera operated by a surgeon who is viewing the surgery through a monitor. The setup magnifies what the surgeon is looking at and transforms their large hand movements into extremely small movements on the robotic instruments inside the body. This will eventually allow surgeons to operate with significantly higher amounts of precision as their hands could then reliably control tools that operate on the micrometer level.

Part of me wishes I was an eccentric billionaire so that I could purchase one of those machines and instead use it to paint Warhammer minis at a truly obscene level of detail.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I would say GW has slightly changed their brushes. My medium drybrush has seen better days, and when I went to replace it, this flattened thing is what I got.

J0Eh6dO.jpg

My original one here had a conical shape to the bristles. This may work better. Who knows.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    How long ago did you buy that drybrush? I bought a drybrush from GW about... 6-7 years ago and it was flat. Unless they changed from flat to straight and back to flat again.

Flat drybrushes are great though.

Yeah stuff bristled flat brushes are the best type for regular dry brushing work. You have to switch to something bigger and fluffier for tanks, but my citadel drybrush has served me well. About the only overpriced GW tool I've felt was worth the money.

edited September 2017
    I really like the mold line scraper, too.

Edit: And I bought the old brush last year. It may have been sitting on the shelf for a while at the store.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    i never do eyes, a dark wash gives them that brooding kenshiro look

bWH4jrd.jpg?1

manji on
    bj98bix74z32.jpg
    Finished this guy. Might add some grass to his base or something though. What do you think?

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Hey everyone,

What do ya'll recommend for a good Black wash? I heard the old games workshop was Badab black was the gold standard, but thats been gone for a while, and I read army painters dark tone is pretty much a replacement, but I have no idea what to get at this point.

Thanks!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
This discussion has been closed.