As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Elite: Dangerous] THARGOIDS INVADE BUBBLE! December 3308 Update!

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I partly expect one of the 2.4 surprises to be the introduction of alliance rankings and the type 10 defender to be the alliance version of the cutter / corvette.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I partly expect one of the 2.4 surprises to be the introduction of alliance rankings and the type 10 defender to be the alliance version of the cutter / corvette.

That would be an awful grind. Fed and Imp grind has rewards along the way (arguably better than the Corvette and Cutter). Just plopping down Alliance with a full rank grind? Whew. Stand outside of the blast radius of the forums is my advice.
    I also kinda hate the main Alliance player group, so having to help the Alliance to get a Type ship that I really want would piss me off personally, but it is what it is.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
    I'm mostly just trying to predict the future by estimating what the worst possible result will be, and assuming that will come to pass.

Running sightseeing missions in parallel has been working great in my conda. I should have my corvette this weekend. I wonder if I should push on to max Federation rank under the assumption that they'll eventually add some reward for the max rank...

I should also probably try to preemptively scout out an isolated sightseeing target for the Alliance.

3DS Friend Code:
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Looks like 2.4 will be this week: http://email-frontier.co.uk/3F35-JBLM-F4356SWX25/cr.aspx

Commanders, we’re drawing ever closer to the release of 2.4 The Return where humanity will come face-to-face with an old and powerful foe. The Open Beta for 2.4 is coming to a close on Monday 4 September, 2017 so there’s still the whole weekend to get involved.

Might want to finish off any Quince grinds you want done, money or rank wise.

Bigity on
    I'm 98% progressed through the Federal rank of Post Captain and I have 8 passenger cabins loaded up right now. This is my final run before I return to Sol and get promoted to Rear Admiral to collect my Corvette.

3DS Friend Code:
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I'm 98% progressed through the Federal rank of Post Captain and I have 8 passenger cabins loaded up right now. This is my final run before I return to Sol and get promoted to Rear Admiral to collect my Corvette.

Not going to show us a picture of your wife? Maybe mention your pension and plans to fish before you head out?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    It didn't play out like a cop movie. Everything went better than expected. Once I dinged 100%, I started stripping down my conda to more easily move it back to the bubble. I checked the mission board at ceos and noticed a federal navy courier mission to sothis mining, so I jumped into my DBX that was also stationed in ceos and collected my promotion.

I then plotted a route to Jameson Memorial and bought the corvette. I'm contemplating jumping back out to Quince and quickly grinding another 400 mil or so as budget towards the type 10 defender. We don't really know anything about it, but my gut suspects that it will be a peer to the big 3.

3DS Friend Code:
    I suppose that it also bears asking, has anyone seen any confirmation that the type 10 defender is going to be introduced in 2.4? There may be references to it that slipped into the 2.4 beta, but perhaps they don't plan to release it until later patch.

3DS Friend Code:
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I suppose that it also bears asking, has anyone seen any confirmation that the type 10 defender is going to be introduced in 2.4? There may be references to it that slipped into the 2.4 beta, but perhaps they don't plan to release it until later patch.

Far as I know the last thing FDEV said on it was that they could not confirm or deny a 2.4 launch and also that the Type-10 was not the Panther Clipper.

Maybe that first part has changed, but I don't see anything official from them since then.

edit- Oh they did confirm that it is multicrew though.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    Type-10 defender (as found on reddit, surely legit):
    A8yPKODl.jpg

Todays random fan-art:

Ezex3No.jpg

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Lodbrok wrote: »
    Type-10 defender (as found on reddit, surely legit):
    A8yPKODl.jpg

-snip-

That image is the finest thing I have seen all day and totally legit.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I've liked the Flying Shoebox style of ship ever since my Panther Clipper in the original Elite games.

OkcoK19.gif

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    That's a plausible design for the Type 10 but wouldn't be of much interest to me.

Does anyone else here deliberately pinball off the mail slot as a means of slowing down enough so that they don't overshoot their landing pad?

3DS Friend Code:
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Does anyone else here deliberately pinball off the mail slot as a means of slowing down enough so that they don't overshoot their landing pad?

It's really easy to do in anything the size of a Python or larger.

edited September 2017
    Synthesis wrote: »

It's really easy to do in anything the size of a Python or larger.

Oh man this is why I want the Panther Clipper. Wider than a Type-9 and longer than a Federal Corvette.

You'd take up the entire mail slot with inches of breathing room! It'll be hilarious!

Axen on

That's what I like to tell myself when I accidentally bang the slot. "Yeah... I meant to do that. >.>"

In other news, my home faction's war state ended so I turned in my exploration data from Colonia to the Bubble. I'm now an Elite Explorer! *confetti cannons* It was fun doing Combat Zones and bounty hunting and everything with that 90 mill gorilla on my back. It definitely raised the stakes.

edited September 2017
    I'm not joking though. I'll have my conda or cutter approaching the mailslot in excess of 200m/s, then I adjust my course to bounce off the cage to drop me down to ~100 or less. Generally the easiest way is to simply rotate a few degrees once you've entered the cage. The shallow collision is far less damaging that a head on strike, to the point where the big 3 can handily survive scrapes at ~200ish even when running shieldless. Customs scans don't stand a chance of scanning you in time, hitting the far wall is completely removed as a risk, and no fumbling around as the big ships struggle to slow down in time to reach that pad that always seems to be just inside the gate.

It's almost like a carrier arresting cable.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I just use a docking computer and alt tab to read stuff.

edited September 2017
    I'm out trying to harvest the materials that I need to engineer my corvette. I've setup my clipper as a material hunter since its fast, decent in a fight, has a respectable jump range, and has enough power and module slots to carry everything that I need like an SRV bay, wake scanner, FSD interdictor, etc.

It's sort of a pain to find a flat spot for landing to deploy the SRV though. Why do we even need to land our ships for that anyway? The SRV has jump jets. We should be able to hover near the ground and just drop from the mothership.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    The way I land usually: boost once or twice at the mail slot, slide using lateral thrust to line up and start heading through the mailslot, hit X to set thrust to zero, extend landing gear, use manual thrust bursts to glide onto pad.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
    I've said it before, but I want a surface vehicle (preferably a mech) that's deployed by shooting it out of a cannon from orbit

Tube wrote: »
    I've said it before, but I want a surface vehicle (preferably a mech) that's deployed by shooting it out of a cannon from orbit

I know it will never, ever, ever happen but holy shit do I want Mechs in this.

Every time I am on a planet doing one of those destroy missions all I can think about is how fucking awesome it'd be if you were in a Mech going up against a handful of defenders also in Mechs (and maybe tanks?).

The outfitting/module system could pretty much be copy-pasted for Mech use and overheating is already a thing in game.

The only thing they'd really have to create would be the Mechs themselves and I don't see them doing that ever. For various reasons.

But a man can dream, a man can dream.

Just drop off an Armored Core.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I would like a mech also but I wouldn't mind a tank or a gunship that's made purposefully for planet related shenanigans.

Even more so if some customization was included.

As far as updates go, I'm not very excited about this one. Partly because there's no big new features (like multicrew or SLFs) which are my favourite update types, and partly because we don't really know what's going to be in it. Maybe Thargoids will be great? But we don't know the extent to which they'll even be in the update in the beginning.

Well we'll be finding out soon. For good or bad.

edited September 2017
    I'm looking for proto-heat radiators to upgrade some beam lasers on my corvette to G5 efficient...

I need to find high grade emission sources to find these. Just flying around waiting for an emission source to show up and praying that it contains one.

The worst gameplay.

I suppose it's not as grindy as finding some of the data scans, but at least those you can mostly get just by playing the game and scanning enemies as your target them. High Grade Emission source loot can only be found by dropping whatever you're doing and flying around in the middle of nowhere. At least I've found a lot of Imperial Shielding...I'm up to 36 now. I thought those were supposed to only show up in Imperial Systems, but I'm in an independent Anarchy system right now...

edit:
    48 now, from yet another independent anarchy system. This time it's not even involved with powerplay. I guess I'll need to fly up to the neighborhood around alioth to avoid these imperial shielding units eating up my loot table? This is great and all that I'll be able to make some sweet shield generator/shield booster rolls, but I just want 5 proto heat radiators.

edit2:
    Finally found them. Now I'm only missing a few datamined wake exceptions, some conductive ceramics, and some abnormal compact emission data.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    I would like a mech also but I wouldn't mind a tank or a gunship that's made purposefully for planet related shenanigans.

I think the dropship was designed with this in mind. All the weapons are on the bottom, and it is a damn fine tank when fully armored. It doesn't dogfight well, but that's not the intended role. Problem is, they built a ship for planetary combat and then didn't make any suitable content for it.

I tell ya what I would love the game forever if I could fly over an enemy installation in the dropship, deploy my patlabor, engage enemy arm slaves, maybe even with friendly wanzers in my squad.

Though I'd spend stupid money on custom paint jobs for my heavy gears.

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Axen you just reminded me I really should play front mission again on the snes and get the Zeige cannon.

Back on topic, any date yet confirmed for the drop for 2.4 for real?

Derrick wrote: »

I think the dropship was designed with this in mind. All the weapons are on the bottom, and it is a damn fine tank when fully armored. It doesn't dogfight well, but that's not the intended role. Problem is, they built a ship for planetary combat and then didn't make any suitable content for it.

Yup - and they seem to be more worried about crap like space legs over game content. I mean, I would like some day to be able to wander around the ship interior and check it out. Do I want that over core gameplay (which is very lacking in anything except grind)? Hell no.

Axen you just reminded me I really should play front mission again on the snes and get the Zeige cannon.

Back on topic, any date yet confirmed for the drop for 2.4 for real?

Beta closed earlier this week. I'm not aware of any official day, but I'd be real surprised if it wasn't at the cycle tick down time.

Bigity wrote: »
    Derrick wrote: »

Yup - and they seem to be more worried about crap like space legs over game content.

They have given literally no indication that they're working on space legs.

My understanding is that space legs was pushed way to the backburner. Which is probably a good thing, although I eventually want to be able to head down to the Anaconda's observation deck.

3DS Friend Code:
  • ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    I find myself trying to map out the decks (anaconda should have five, by my measure) and internal compartments.
    My desire for spacelegs is matched by my apprehension that they will get it wrong.

Zerocz wrote: »
    I find myself trying to map out the decks (anaconda should have five, by my measure) and internal compartments.
    My desire for spacelegs is matched by my apprehension that they will get it wrong.

Knowing FDev you'd probably have to grind Crawl for 30 hours before you unlock Walk.

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Zerocz wrote: »

Knowing FDev you'd probably have to grind Crawl for 30 hours before you unlock Walk.

legs?

gonna need a permit for that

My understanding is that space legs was pushed way to the backburner. Which is probably a good thing, although I eventually want to be able to head down to the Anaconda's observation deck.

Yeah, I really don't care about space legs. I can play an FPS anytime. I want cool space shit in Elite. If I never leave a ship or vehicle, I'm cool with that. Would be nice to explore my own ship, but I'm not itching to putz around walking the surface. I wish the SRV would go faster. Like Hell I'm going to walk.

I mostly do SRV operations on worlds with ~0.1 G's. In my experience, that's enough gravity to drive when you want to but still low enough that you can basically spend more time flying than driving with 4 pips to engines.

The Laedla system has a lot of planets like that with a variety of material selections. Tin, arsenic, ruthenium, molybdenum, antimony.

3DS Friend Code: