As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Hard Truths

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Hard Truths

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    ViRGEViRGE Registered User regular
    Gabriel the Younger is now old enough to play Destiny 2?! Criminy, where did the years go?

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I dunno I'd be tempted to let my kid stay home from school on release day.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    GrahamfGrahamf Registered User regular
    I'd just call his school and tell them that he can't come in today as he has the bubonic plague.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    At least he's honest.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Grahamf wrote: »
    I'd just call his school and tell them that he can't come in today as he has the bubonic plague.

He has 24 hour AIDS which is totally a real thing

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, his wife has already been playing a bit. By the time he gets to the couch, it will be difficult to express her level in numbers, etc.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    ViRGE wrote: »
    Gabriel the Younger is now old enough to play Destiny 2?! Criminy, where did the years go?

He's been playing D1 too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bsctgodbsctgod Registered User regular
    I empathize. Work is gonna go by real slow today. :(

• Options
    lionheartssjlionheartssj Bartertown Chief Merchant BartertownRegistered User regular
    No need to beat around the bush.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    I dunno I'd be tempted to let my kid stay home from school on release day.

where I grew up, a lot of the schools had the day off for the first day of hunting season, so... this seems reasonable.

• Options
    schmegs24schmegs24 Registered User new member
    My husband works nights and I told him that I was going to start at 11:00 last night and play all night and all day while he was sleeping. He said I was evil.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    DEER TEECHUR, BILLY CANT GO TO SKOOL TOODAY BECUZ HE HAS CHRONIC BUBONIC. SIGNED BILLYS MOM.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Aren't Dragon Quest releases in Japan like... a super big deal? Like so many people take off work that it's almost like an unofficial national holiday?

Is a Destiny release big enough to be like that? Does the US have anything comparable to what happens in Japan?

• Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who can hear the thud of the door shutting behind the kid in the last panel?

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Aren't Dragon Quest releases in Japan like... a super big deal? Like so many people take off work that it's almost like an unofficial national holiday?

Is a Destiny release big enough to be like that? Does the US have anything comparable to what happens in Japan?

Game wise? Maybe if Half-Life 3 was released?

GTA VI will be a big release. Pokémon games are usually huge deals. But not quite to the same level I think?

Maybe I just haven't been keep up with gaming the last few years though. Another World of Warcraft (like a real sequel not an expansion) might garner the same reaction.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I remember reading somewhere that the Japanese goverment asked Nintendo to release Final Fantasy 5 on a Sunday so people wouldnt skip work and school to buy it.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    As much as gaming is catching on in the US, its still no where near Japan's fervor.
    Don't get me wrong, we have lots of people taking off work for a game release, but its still business as usual and you used up a sick day or vacation day for it.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    well this is no where as cruel as when Little Gabe couldn't get a rez from his own parents. I can't find the comic, but it's out there, trust me.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    well this is no where as cruel as when Little Gabe couldn't get a rez from his own parents. I can't find the comic, but it's out there, trust me.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2016/02/05

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2016/02/05

TY

• Options
    Einaudi-EnthusiastEinaudi-Enthusiast Registered User regular
    This is me in every Dragon Quest game:
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/12/31
    So I get it. I do.

• Options
    It's been a long time since I played anything on launch day. I think maybe as far back as Arkham City.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    jwalk wrote: »
    DEER TEECHUR, BILLY CANT GO TO SKOOL TOODAY BECUZ HE HAS CHRONIC BUBONIC. SIGNED BILLYS MOM.

Kid has the chronic bubonic, parent has the bubonic chronic

*puff*

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    Damn that was cold.