As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D&D presence at PAX this year?

2»

• Options
    sbrooksbrook OregonRegistered User new member
    Let me know if any AL games happen. I bought my dice and I intend to roll them this weekend!

• Options
    MembinoMembino Registered User regular
    not d&d. but I was sad to not see the pathfinder demo people or the reaper miniature people this year. those were always fun things to look forward to at past PAX events

• Options
    alchahestalchahest Edmonton, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Anybody else try Dragonfire out? I think I must be missing something, or maybe three player just isn't that well balanced, but after the second round we invariably end up with at least one dead party member, sometimes two.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    alchahest wrote: »
    Anybody else try Dragonfire out? I think I must be missing something, or maybe three player just isn't that well balanced, but after the second round we invariably end up with at least one dead party member, sometimes two.

Important note about Dragonfire is that the quick start scenario (most likely what was being run in the demos) is broken.
    I picked up a copy at PAX and played it Friday night with a group of 5 and it went great. It definitely gets progressively harder as you move from scene to scene since you draw more difficult enemies and get worse Dragonfire card effects.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    I think there's some tweaking that's needed with the 3 player - with four or more it seems you can work together to create breathing room "down the line" so to speak and actually help prevent your squishiest party members from dying, but with 3 we just never had enough cards to deal with things like that. I do like the basic mechanics of the game though.

And yeah, we tried to move on from the quickstart to the game proper and ended up losing two party members in the second round. I'm definitely looking forward to playing a campaign with four+ people!

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Another thing to note, each Scene you put out encounters for each player (+/- depending on scenario and player count). You do not put out the next Scene encounters until all previous encounters are defeated. So after every full round of turns, you discard the top Dragonfire card (increasing the DF level) and flip a new one, but you do not add encounters unless told to do so by a card or if you're starting a new Scene.
    Apparently in the quick start rules, you add new monsters each round, which is just bad and wrong and nobody can survive that.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Holy cow, that IS a game changer, yikes. thank you! One of the gentlemen demoing the game got this wrong, too. which is probably why we held onto it when we tried playing it in our hotel. I must've missed some of the rules in my beer-addled read through that night. Thank you so much - this makes me much more confident in the game's playability!

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I was very close to buying Dragonfire, but the more I thought about it, the more I felt it wasn't quite D&D since it's essentially Shadowrun Crossfire with a different pasted theme and tweaked rules. But it did made me crave a long campaign game with persistent characters, which made me just want to buy Goomhaven instead, which I ended up preordering at my FLGS after I got back for quite a nice discount too.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide