As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Twilight Imperium: 4th edition - Game #1: And they're off!

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Tactical action!

Activate the Arnor-Lor system.
    Move 1 Carrier, 1 Destroyer, 1 Fighter (applying the Gravity Drive bonus), and transport 4 ground troops.
    Land 1 troop on each planet.

Tactical pool at 2

Back to @Hedgethorn

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Activate the Quann system.
    Move 1 Cruiser from Nestphar to Quann.
    Start a transaction with @Mojo_Jojo.

Mojo, I'd give you three trade goods in exchange for three trade goods. Deal?

Hedgethorn on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    My counter proposal is that we both throw in our cease fire promissory notes on top of the 3 commodities

@Hedgethorn

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Remember that everyone starts out with no commodities to trade. They will have to be refreshed by the Trade strategy card first.

Promissory notes can be given.

MrBody on
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Remember that everyone starts out with no commodities to trade. They will have to be refreshed by the Trade strategy card first.

Promissory notes can be given.

Really? Oh, boo. Okay, scrap that turn then. Give me a bit to think what I want to do instead.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I'd not spotted we started with no commodities. we could do trade agreement promissory notes(and cease fire) but I'd only get three so you to sweeten the pot

Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I'd not spotted we started with no commodities

Same!

edited September 2017
    Ooh, also:

Can we get the current map added to the OP?

EDIT: Probably not strictly necessary until post-the-first-turn, but it'll make it easier to find going forward.

Elvenshae on
    Strike my previous orders, given that none of us have commodities yet.

Use the Leadership primary ability.
    Take three command tokens, one for the tactics pool and two for the strategy pool.
    Everyone else can use the secondary ability if they wish to get command tokens at the cost of 3 influence apiece:
    @Preda @MrBlarney @Brody @Mojo_Jojo @Elvenshae

No secondary for me

Pass

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Pass

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    edited September 2017
    Map
    d2i0vJM.png

Using orange X's next to resource value to show a planet is exhausted. Will use colored dots to show ownership when a planet is empty.

MrBody on
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Tactical action!

Move 1 Carrier, 1 Destroyer, 1 Fighter (applying the Gravity Drive bonus), and transport 4 ground troops.
    Land 1 troop on each planet.

Actually this was an illegal move. Carriers can only transport 4 fighters/infantry.

@Elvenshae please redo

The carrier is carrying four infantry.

Gravity drive gives +1 move to the Fighter, Slipstream gives it +1 more, for a range of 2 and enough to reach the system in question. Since it's unsupported by transport capacity, I counted it against my fleet limit of 3.

edited September 2017
    Fighter I units cannot move on their own (the null value on their movement entry), only the Fighter II tech lets them do that. Like infantry, they can only be carried between systems.

@Elvenshae

MrBody on
    edited September 2017
    Okay.

Swap the fighter and a destroyer. Also, edited the troops since there's no real reason to keep them on the carrier, and it matches what you did anyway.

Move 1 Carrier, 2 Destroyers, and transport 4 ground troops.
    Land 2 troops on each planet.

Elvenshae on
    edited September 2017
    @Preda @MrBlarney for Leadership secondary.

(though we can pass on Preda Blarney since L1z1x has zero influence now)

MrBody on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    No, I'm playing as L1z1x. So I PASS on the Leadership secondary.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Couldn't you wait just a bit? Pass, than, since everyone else already played, I'll play Diplomacy, targeting Mellon Zhobat and refreshing both planets.
    @MrBlarney @Brody @Mojo_Jojo @Elvenshae @Hedgethorn to use secondary to refresh up to 2 planets.

I'll take the secondary for a strategy counter to refresh my two new planets (Fria and Aryz)

edited September 2017
    I'll spend a strategy token to refresh my new planets, Anor and Lor.

Elvenshae on
    edited September 2017
    Refresh Nestphar and Resculon.

Edit: I just noticed that the updated map doesn't include the two new ships I built in Corneeo-Resculon.

Hedgethorn on
    Pass using Diplomacy secondary

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

(fix Arborec ships)

CONTEST NOTICE!!!

The first player to activate an empty system gets to name it for the rest of the game!

Zipping right along, eh?
    I PLAY the Diplomacy secondary to ready Bereg and Lirta IV. (Strat pool 2 --> 1)

Since it is now my action:
    I activate the primary ability of the (3) Politics strategy card, claiming the speaker token for myself. I draw 2 action cards and peek at the top two cards of the agenda deck. (@MrBody for cards.)

4463rwiq7r47.png
    After MrBlarney finishes, I'll spend a strat token for the secondary Politics ability to draw two action cards.

The Barony of Letnev will part with one of our Strategy tokens to acquire (2) Action Cards.

• PredaPreda Registered User regular
    The Winnu will too.

Kinda newbie question here, but how critical / swingy are action cards? On a scale of 1 - 10 (10 being have as many in your hand as possible at all times, they will win you the game straight out).

Pass on political secondary
    Kinda newbie question here, but how critical / swingy are action cards? On a scale of 1 - 10 (10 being have as many in your hand as possible at all times, they will win you the game straight out).

In TI3 they were super handy but never critical (special mentions go to the ones that killed a single ground unit and would turn the planet neutral if left unprotected and the one that you play after somebody uses sustained damaged to blow their warsun/Dreadnaught outright

edited September 2017
    Pass on Politics secondary.

Thanks, @Mojo_Jojo !

Elvenshae on
    edited September 2017

Haven't really looked over the TI4 ones. TI3 they ranged from completely useless to super swingy. "Flank Speed" gave you a flat out +1 move to all units in a system (huge!). "Signal Jammer" let you put a player's token in a system, essentially freezing them out of it for a round. Those were the 2 big ones I remember. I think Signal Jammer is still in there but it got nerfed to only being playable to a system you're adjacent to.

One to keep in mind is "Direct Hit", which will destroy a ship the instant you try to assign a hit to it using the "sustain damage" ability. It makes you think twice about having a dreadnaught/warsun absorb a hit to save a unit if you think your opponent has that card.

Sabotage cards are very valuable and should be saved for swing moments that would screw you over or let someone nearly win. You can also make offers for huge favors or trade good sums from other players for playing a sabotage on their behalf.

All the action and agenda cards are available to view in the OP's Google doc link.

MrBody on
    Is it just me /being on mobile that can only get low res images of the action cards?

Is it just me /being on mobile that can only get low res images of the action cards?

I've found that almost everything is butts to read from mobile.

No, I'm on PC right now, and the action cards are pretty unreadable.

edited September 2017
    From the list of titles local unrest is gone, which is a major change as it removes the risk of having annoying holes picked in the middle of your territory that end up stalling your advance. Plenty of direct hits though.

Mojo_Jojo on
    I put one agenda on top and one on the bottom.

@Brody is up to act.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    For what it's worth Action Cards 'ruined' my only two games of TI3.
    They took victory from me in one of these PbP games which was rather disappointing considering the many-month duration of the game. Not before I rolled a pure 2/5 chance of winning with Stage II goals though.
    And in real life, military faction designed the board to have a starting location suck for one player, but with an easy attack route on another starting location. Military faction then got RNGed to that location. Military faction attacked my Action card faction. Signal jamming was used on their fleet. Military faction then rage-quit turn 2.