As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Twilight Imperium: 4th edition - Game #1: And they're off!

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Round 1 - Action phase

Map
    RSvB55w.png

Objectives
    I - Lead from the Front - Spend a total of 3 tokens from your strategy and/or tactics pool - 1 VP
    I - Diversify Research - Own 2 technologies in each of 2 colors. - 1 VP
    I- ???
    I- ???
    I- ???
    II- ???
    II- ???
    II- ???
    II- ???
    II - ???

Victory Track
    Mojo - 0
    Brody - 0
    Hedgethorn - 0
    Elvenshae - 0
    Preda - 0
    MrBlarney - 0

Technologies
    Ciz5AvY.png

Promissory notes (any player may give these to another, "black player" was just for that set; insert your own color)
    Race specific promissory notes (only the stated race may give these)

Player mats

MrBlarney **Speaker**
    2 action cards
    1mS0eyC.png

Elvenshae
    GuuAB9q.png

Mojo
    UKi9EJ7.png

Hedgethorn (-1 SA)
    2 action cards
    8Tg6zr0.png

Brody
    2 action cards
    UFNuc47.png

Preda (should have +1 SA token)
    2 cards
    S5IkgVt.png

Strategy cards
    F9TgzcL.png
    2PQjpdt.png

Hedgethorn - Leadership 1
    Preda - Diplomacy 2
    MrBlarney- Politics 3

Brody - Construction 4 *current turn*
    Mojo - Warfare 6
    Elvenshae - Technology 7

@Brody

MrBody on
    edited September 2017
    Everyone careful to double check their stuff to see if it's all in order. I noticed one extra SA token on Hedgethorn's sheet.

MrBody on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Activate Arc Prime system.
    Exhaust Wren Terra and Arc Prime
    Produce 1 Carrier, 2 Ground Forces, and 1 Cruiser

-1 Tactical Token

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @MrBody

My ships haven't been corrected for my bad turn; the destroyer in Cruess needs to move to Lor / Anor, and the fighter in Lor / Anor needs to move to Creuss. Thanks!

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Activate Nair / ??? (My homeworld)
    Exhaust Fria/Nair for 4 resources
    Build one carrier and three ground troops (total cost 3 +1+1 -1 for sarween tools) (only three troops as I've hit the production limit of 4)

@Elvenshae

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    @Mojo_Jojo , Nar has a resource value of 2, which means that the Space Dock has a maximum Production of 4 units. So you'll have to give up 1 Infantry from the build or choose to build something else. (The other planet in your home system is Jar, by the way.)

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Well spotted. I had in my head it was production+3 for some reason. I suppose I'll waste half a resource on the ground troop that never was

Technology primary action!

I will research the Antimass Deflectors technology.

@MrBlarney @Mojo_Jojo @Hedgethorn @Brody @Preda for the secondary.

Spending one strategy token to take the secondary

Using my racial power to take the primary instead (and therefore not spend any resources)

Researching Hyper metabolism (ignoring one of the prereqs with my other racial power)

Yeah, I was hoping someone would give you a reason to spend that token before I took the primary. :)

To be honest I'm kicking myself for not holding on to six resources as it would have let me claim an objective

That was the other thing I was waiting for. :D

edited September 2017
    Yeah timing with the strategy cards is an important factor: to both get what you want and to deny others.

Protip: a lot of people got action cards that say "Action-..." on them. That means that playing it takes up your action turn. Sometimes you can use that to stall even if you have no interest in the card effect. Very useful to wait out other players then go after they've passed or exhausted planets. (it's why the Yssaril race ability was so broken)

MrBody on
  • PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Pass.

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Pass on the Technology secondary.

I PLAY on the Technology secondary, spending a strategy token (SP 1 --> 0) and exhausting [0.0.0] (5R) to gain yellow technology Sarween Tools.

G/TG/AC: 0/0/2
    TP/FP/SP: 2/3/0

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Pass Technology

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I already passed. (Or is there something else I'm missing?)

It's your actual turn now.

Elvenshae wrote: »
    That was the other thing I was waiting for. :D

You fiend!

Brody wrote: »

Yup. Technology strategy card is over. Back to your regular action turn.

There's been some questions about the "I spend 3 tokens" objective.

All non-combat objectives are fulfilled during the Status Phase (combat objectives are claimed instantly). For ones where you have to spend stuff (tokens, resources, influence, trade goods), you pay that cost when you claim it during the Status Phase. Stuff you spend during your action turns that round do not count. It's a separate cost.

Oh, so that objective is spending three tokens to buy the VP.

Oh, so that objective is spending three tokens to buy the VP.

Yep. TI3 used the same wording and I've read game reports from people that understandably assumed you just had to spend those things during the round which involved lots of book keeping

Oh. That makes more sense, I guess - and it way more expensive!

Aha!

Activate the Quann system.
    Move 1 cruiser from Nestphar to Quann.
    Open negotiations with @Mojo_Jojo.
    I'd be interested in your Trade Agreement promissory note.
    I'd be willing to give you either my Ceasefire or my Trade Agreement note in return. (Rules only allow giving one note per transaction.)
    Last time you suggested I'd need to sweeten the deal, but I'm not sure what else you might want (or what I could give you) in return.

No deal

3 for 4 goods isn't a good trade for me. And the one note limit means you can't do much else to make it better for me. Next turn we'll still almost certainly be adjacent though so we can do a 3 for 3

Fair enough. Your turn, @Preda.

• PredaPreda Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Activate Winnu. No moves. Exaust Winnu and Zhobat for 6 resources. Build Dreadnought and 2 GF.

@MrBlarney

Preda on
    edited September 2017
    Preda wrote: »
    Activate Winnu. No moves. Exaust Winnu and Zhobat for 6 resources. Build Dreadnought and 2 GF.

@MrBlarney

Dreadnoughts only cost 4 now. You have 1 resource and 2 production capacity left if you want to spend it.

(the new term for GF is "infantry". Helps new players who are going by the sheets)

@Preda

MrBody on
    edited September 2017
    I'll just go ahead to keep things moving.

Activate the L1z1x home system. (TP 2 --> 1)
    Exhaust Bereg (3R), Lirta IV (2R), +1R from Sarween Tools to produce 1 carrier (3R), 1 cruiser (2R), and 2 fighters (1R).

Brody's turn once Preda's is clarified.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    We can go ahead. I don't think Preda's 1 extra resource in his home system is going to change anyone's orders.

@Brody

Use Construction Card to place 1 Space Dock on Wren Terra
    Place 1 PDS on Starpoint.

I believe it goes to @Mojo_Jojo to use the Construction Secondary.

We can just ping everyone at once when it comes to strategy secondaries. Everyone reserves the right to wait to see what the players previous to them do before they make their decision, but if you don't care the option is always there to state your order early.

@MrBlarney @Mojo_Jojo @Hedgethorn @Elvenshae @Preda

Pass.

Pass.

No counters. PASS on the Construction secondary.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Pass