As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[5E OOC] Before the Darkness - "Who Watches the Poopmen"

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    So we discussed going to different ports at the end of last session, to get a different angle to tackle Kulsha from.

So here's a handful of options!

1. Hemlock Bay. You know it, you hate it, you don't really get along with anyone there and Kulsha might be trying to kill you?
    2. Ulas Cay. This is the small town you started at that got ravaged by the Neogi slavers, it's pretty off-grid and if you want to spend some downtime prepping and planning, this would be a good location.
    3. Clearspire. This is a major legitimate port, two week's sailing south of Hemlock Bay. It's built around a massive Feyspire which seems to protect the area from bad weather, hence the name. Major trading and port town, but it's likely that anyone looking for you would be able to track you here. Definitely a good spot for shopping, hiring someone to do something with that dragon stuff you've got, or anything else you might need!

And speaking of doing stuff with dragon stuff...

Dragon Crafting
    Dragon bits are always useful for making stuff. Adventurers always want dragon-made gear. Not only is it insanely fashionable, it's also charged with intense magical power that allows for a dramatic variety of effects. Typically a Young Dragon can produce one magical item, an Adult Dragon two, and an Ancient Dragon three items. Blacksmiths and Runeworkers will usually create magical dragon items for a very low price, provided they can take the non-magical remnants of the dragon's corpse to craft over-costed fashion pieces to sell to rich nobility.

1. Dragon Armor. Worn by dragonhunters, this stuff is great for killing dragons, granting you Resistance to the element of the dragon, Advantage against innate dragon abilities(Lair actions, Breath Weapons, and Frightful Presence), as well as AC 18 without any strength requirement or penalty to stealth(still requires Heavy Armor Proficiency)

2. Dragoncloaks. These cloaks provide +1 to AC and Saving Throws, much like a Cloak of Protection, but they can also be imbued with several other aspects of dragon power. Some cloaks allow the wearer to fly, others project a terrifying aura much like that of an adult dragon, while still others can be used to grant Immunity to an element as a bonus action(by warding one's self with the cloak on your turn)

3. Dragonblades. These melee weapons are highly coveted and powerful, granting the wielder a +2 bonus to hit, as well as an additional damage die of the dragon's element equal to the weapon's base damage.

4. Dragonbreath Crossbows. These weapons are a mere +1 Heavy Crossbow, but they can unleash the full power of a dragon's breath weapon once per day. For the Young White you killed, that's a 30ft cone, 10d8 cold damage, DC 15 Constitution for half.

Auraj is a crafty sort and dragon materials are fairly easy to work with, so if you take some downtime you could probably pull one of these together yourself. And of course I'm always open to ideas and concepts on cool dragon themed items!

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    i vote clearspire because while kulsha is a threat, I don't think she is necessarily a Threat now that the baron is dead. we could use the time to regear before heading back in to clean up whatever mess we left, and to establish an alibi re:drake. Plus, the gnome might have done some stuff while we were away to remove her from political power. probably not, but maybe?

edit: also if any of elidana's exes are going to show up anywhere, it's here.

as for what we do with the dragon, i got the service of a baby white dragon and a fireball wand, I think i'm good for stuff, though if there is enough white dragon left over to make a cloak like this

oF6G2Zvl.jpg

magical or not, i am down. But i feel like Auraj and angus haven't gotten anythign real cool lately. tusk has the Wolf Blade and the aquaman spear, and i got my stuff, i'm not sure what magical gear either of them have gotten lately. plus angus getting full plate and a way to survive possible future dragons would be very useful. plus if the dragonbreath crossbow isn't a repeating crossbow who the hell wants that?

Melding on
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    If somebody else wants the Trident of Goddamn Fish Control, they're welcome to it.

But yeah, I'm good for stuff right now, so others should take priority. I definitely wouldn't mind boosting my AC a little more, but Tusk's boarskin cloak is actually an essential component of his subclass abilities, so he'll be aiming to eventually have it enchanted instead of swapping it out for some other better cloak.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    well, I already have a +1 crossbow

can I upgrade it into +2 dragonbreath crossbow? :D:D:D

she'll paint a little face on it and inset the smaller scales to make it look like its smiling! just like how she does! all the time!

and I suppose she could change the handle out for dragon bone, wrap it with dragon leather, and make the 'bowstaff' out of a particularly flexible and small rib bone

to make it all come together she can soak each and every part in dragon blood - and summarily defrost everything over a fire once its all marinated for a few days

...I also vote Clearspire

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    +2 or not I totally want that crossbow now

also:

repeating-crossbow.jpg

Miss me? Find me on:

Are we good to go tonight, or do I have the evening free to obsess over XCOM?

I guess I can drag myself away from Destiny 2 for a few hours.

To help me get over my Warlock withdrawal though, Tusk will be wearing a fancy robe and setting himself on fire before he punches people to death.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    i am available.

I can also pry myself away from xcom2

Miss me? Find me on:

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I guess I can stop playing my titan, but in solidarity Angus will be throwing his shield at people and seeing if that helps with his falling down problem.

iguanacus on
    iguanacus wrote: »
    I guess I can stop playing my titan, but in solidarity Angus will be throwing his shield at people and seeing if that helps with his falling down problem.

Ron Howard Voice: It didn't.

edited September 2017
    Hey squad, there's a hostile(kinda?) Incubus in the game now!
    If you have any concerns about that, please don't hesitate to PM me!

Rainfall on
    it is going to make elidana leery of any of her other exes show up.

especially sam.

Auraj is perfectly fine with smuggling things into a city

but it has to come with a plan

you just can't wing it safely

Miss me? Find me on:

also apparently incubi/succubi can go ethereal

which is real fucking funny considering that tusk ran away from the city guard by drinking our one potion of etherealness

I'm not being sarcastic, the whole situation is pretty damn funny

Miss me? Find me on:

No game tonight I am so so sick

No problem, rest up, get better!

I will keep my roleplaying skills sharp by continuing to run my Destiny 2 Titan as Electric!Tusk, forgetting that he has guns because he's too busy punching people to death.

If I ever finish the actual campaign we can be titan bros! Fire and Electric type, strong alone, stronger together.

Feel better Rainfall, and say high to your kitty for all of us

iguanacus wrote: »
    If I ever finish the actual campaign we can be titan bros! Fire and Electric type, strong alone, stronger together.

Feel better Rainfall, and say high to your kitty for all of us

Hell yeah! I'm in the SE++ clan now, so if you need backup on anything my Warlock is already at power 268 and ready to shoot people in the face at all times. My Titan is actually only around level 10, but he'll catch up quick enough once I stop screwing around hunting for chests in the EDZ.

whoop good thing I checked the thread

damn ADVENT tried to kill our GM with a bio weapon

Miss me? Find me on:

been doinking around with various characters for the next campaign

and if Scott goes ranged, I have a kenku shadow monk and a kobold swashbuckler on consideration

Miss me? Find me on:

edited September 2017
    Oh crap, Shadow Monk is a really good fit for Kenku, I hadn't thought of that. I normally think the communication limits they have are more punitive than I'm a fan of in a PC race, but having Minor Illusion would be versatile enough to mitigate that quite a bit without violating the spirit of the design.

Also, my Warlock concept is a guy who was being groomed, Dread Pirate Roberts style, to replace the aging head of a criminal syndicate, which may have also been an anarchist political movement/satirical Shadow Court just doing the Thieve's Guild thing as a combo income source and way to undermine public faith in the corrupt civic institutions that failed to stop them. But then the character made telepathic contact with one of those Malevolent Space Mollusks or whatever the hell it is, and found his life hijacked by constantly having to convince the entity that it's not time to consume the whole earth yet. So the old syndicate would be a good place for the two of them to know each other from, if you wanted to tie backstories together.

Desert Leviathan on
    edited September 2017
    the basic story for the kenku is that she did crimes on the streets, and one of her hideouts was in an old unused belltower overlooking a monastery

she would watch the monks train until, one day, she showed up in the courtyard for testing and succeeded with the highest marks

she could easily have a criminal or urchin background, whatever you didn't end up having

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

been thinking about doing a temp switch in while elidana is off at the homestead starting new trouble, but if more than dubh is switching characters i probably shouldn't but then i found this

YhBLhBrl.jpg

and now i'm back on my bullshit again.
    (i was already planning an elf fighter as the sit in, Elidana's more lawful bent sister)

edited September 2017
    I think we're mostly brainstorming for a future story. Which is not to suggest that I'm eager for the current story and team to end, I like this crew. Just that the character file has like 200 people in it, and there's always going to be someone who sits on the top of that stack that I'm dreaming about getting to use.

I strongly suspect this Half-Elf Warlock would be Tusk's illegitimate half-brother, but also that neither of them would know that.

Desert Leviathan on
    that's a real Tyranny situation, Scott

Miss me? Find me on:

Hmm, not sure I know the reference. It was just a case of both characters having backstories involving a complicated relationship with their father, which indirectly lead to them becoming beholden to very different flavors of powerful spirits. And I was like what if it's the same human dad, and what if the whole thing with inadvertently becoming a vessel for monstrous entities runs in the family?

Basically, the dude's dad (who comes from a prestigious bloodline) had a second family while he was off being a traveling merchant

His daughter finds this out when she was bored one day and throwing daggers at mail birds

So a half brother and sister who belong to rival armies

Miss me? Find me on:

are we happening today

Miss me? Find me on:

Should be!

edited September 2017
    so, we need to get a second or third bag of holding.

Also, weapons to better fight demons and such. are they still weak to cold steel? if so, we should probably get some of that. If not, silver i think works.

also, i hear flour is very useful, we should lace it with sea salt.

outside of that, the dragon related items, and general sparks i have no specific needs.

edit: actually we should get an iron flask, sending stones, a tome of leadership and influence, and iron bands of bilarro.

listed in no specific order.

Melding on
    edited September 2017
    getting a few arrows of slaying might be a great idea

that's an adventure hook all by itself

beyond that, I probably want to pick up a javelin of lightning or two (hey, they don't require attunement!), and other gear aimed at her hunting down fiends

general magic item wishlist: robe of eyes, javelins of lightning, havard's handy haversack, dimensional shackles, oil of etherealness, and a rope of entanglement

holy water (which Angus can make), healing potions, magical ammunition (mostly Auraj's thing), and possibly/probably some hirelings

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

the hirelings might be a GREAT idea, tbh

Miss me? Find me on:

oh, and we could try to curry the favor of a fiend-hating deity, maybe score a blessing out of it

Miss me? Find me on:

Shopping list wise, I think Healing Potions, maybe something that lets us follow into the Ethereal Plane or Abyss and some specialized bolts Auraj in addition to the already mentioned stuff.

I really want to hire some of those ruffians to scout out the other town and see what our nemesis might be up to.

Also, I've been playing to much Destiny and now I want a magic item that lets me cast Shield on myself or others. Hmm, gonna have to workshop this

edited September 2017
    I'd dig some bolts of anchoring, personally

and/or blessed bolts

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

don't worry everyone

I got my next character locked down

fair warning: they primarily use ranged attacks

Miss me? Find me on:

some kind of, range-er?

surprisingly not!

Miss me? Find me on:

tfw you realize you have a legendary magic item equipped and haven't used it yet

Miss me? Find me on: