As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Turn, Turn, Turn

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Turn, Turn, Turn

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    Damn it Gabe, always start with the numbers! lol

• DistantlurkerDistantlurker Registered User regular
    42 years old. Did not know that's how you spell 'lede'.

Thank you Jereford.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular

Thank you Jereford.

Seriously why wouldn't it be lead? Now I have to know more to find out!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    How are the falling cards in the first panel in the same position as the falling cards in the second panel?

• HelicaonHelicaon Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »

Thank you Jereford.

Seriously why wouldn't it be lead? Now I have to know more to find out!

and why did (apparently mostly American) copy editors/typesetters only get confused starting in the 1970s?

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    How are the falling cards in the first panel in the same position as the falling cards in the second panel?

As identified by Tycho, it's the physical manifestation of the Beast spoken of in Revelations.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017

Thank you Jereford.

One of the first times my journalism degree has proven itself useful.

DemonStacey on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular

What makes you think they're falling?

Maybe they're just hovering.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

What makes you think they're falling?

Maybe they're just hovering.

Yeah, due to them all being at the same level, they might just be orbiting the pile of trash gamepieces Gabe is holding. Because they emit their own dark gravity.

• HydrusXHydrusX Registered User new member
    The Revelation, it's not plural.

• zaitcevzaitcev Registered User regular
    This strip reminds me how they asked the guy who made Simpsons and Futurama (Matt Groening), why skin in Futurama is pink while skin in Simpsons is yellow. He replied that Futurama was set far in the future and there was some evolution.

• RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    so I had to look it up, so "bury the lede" means (idiomatic, US, journalism) To begin a story with details of secondary importance to the reader while postponing more essential points or facts. .....um, ok? Comic is still funny though.

• jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    welp, I thought it was a Tycpo at first, but turns out, nope. "lede" is newsy lingo for "lead"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/bury-the-lede-versus-lead

"Spelling the word as lede helped copyeditors, typesetters, and others in the business distinguish it from its homograph lead (pronounced \led\ ), which also happened to refer to the thin strip of metal separating lines of type (as in a Linotype machine). Since both uses were likely to come up frequently in a newspaper office, there was a benefit to spelling the two words distinctly. "

so since we don't use Linotype any more, it should actually be spelled correctly, "lead".

jwalk on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    You know, I was having a hell of a time actually finding the rules for the card game when I saw this being demo'd at GenCon. Kind of filed it away at the back of my brain for something to look up later.

The big things that were sticking out were for the video game-part, where you could get a giant action-figure of your character and use it as a controller.

At least the website for the cards seems to finally be online.

It's interesting that it seems built to be played multi-player right out of the box. The rotating cards thing to track duration of buffs reminds me a little bit of the old City of Heroes CCG. I kind of like the idea of the power of some of these buffs changing depending on it's current orientation? Seems decent, although I'm a little surprised there isn't a digital version of the card game as well.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Hawk oneHawk one Registered User regular
    Rottonapple: Yeah, the explanation somewhat lacks... explanatory power. I mean, I can tell what it means, but mainly because I already knows what it means. Bit of a Catch-22 there.

Put it like this: When a story breaks about, say, an earthquake happening, the main points to put in the ingress would be things like how destructive it was, if people are killed or missing, stuff like that.

But if the ingress instead talks about the statistics of how often the area is hit with earthquakes, and -then- the story itself talks about the number of casualties and so on, then they would have buried the lede.

Or in video game terms: If there was a new Legend of Zelda game coming out that was essentially going to be a Zelda game in the veins of Majora's Mask (objectively the best game in the entire series), then that's what you want to open the story with, right?

But if the story instead opened with an ingress talking about how they're further perfected the music to fit the action going on in the game, then they would have buried the lede.

I hope that makes things clearer for you.

But signatures don't really work, do they?
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Words are defined by usage. Lede is correct.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Words are defined by usage. Lede is correct.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Not to mention that Jerry has said on several occasions that he collects words. And he likes to use those words.

A word might be culturally or technologically obsolete, but that doesn't erase the word from existence.

Heck, we still call automobiles "cars" which is short for "carriage" which was shortened from "horseless carriage" which is how the first automobiles were differentiated from carriages that were drawn by horses. My point being, you can't call Jerry out for using an older word, because our language is still full of old obsolete words and phrases. It's fine.

And "lede" is great.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Can confirm. As said above when I was in college (2007ish) it was still taught as lede.

edited September 2017
    also, is Tycho in the bathroom? I mean really, if you are in there trying to enjoy the scented candles and your box wine while pooping, someone trying to talk to you through the door can be bothersome.
    and thanks @Hawk one , I guess that made it clearer? I still don't think Gabe lede in with irrelevant facts and then hit Tycho with the meat of the story/game, unless Tycho feels the spinning numbers are the really important part?

Rottonapple on
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    nope http://howardowens.com/lede-vs-lead/

it's exactly the opposite of "car" actually. car is the common, modern usage. it would be more like calling a car a "horseless carriage".
    or calling a refridgerator an "ice box".
    yes- words are defined by their usage, their common modern day usage.
    modern day usage of "horseless carriage" or "icebox" = none.

of course Tycho's use of "lede" is fine. we all know he a word... guy, and likes to use unusual words, and that's great. it's fantastic. we love it. don't change a thing.

just know that in modern journalism - at least among those not "nostalgic for the passing of the linotype era." - it's "lead".
    as in "don't bury the lead".

The very fact that it has records and usage and is understood as a variation from so many sources is enough for it be accepted language as that's how language works especially when used in that very particular phrase.

http://grammarist.com/usage/lead-lede/
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/bury-the-lede-versus-lead
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lede

jwalk wrote: »

it's exactly the opposite of "car" actually. car is the common, modern usage. it would be more like calling a car a "horseless carriage".

of course Tycho's use of "lede" is fine. we all know he a word... guy, and likes to use unusual words, and that's great. it's fantastic. we love it. don't change a thing.

just know that in modern journalism - at least among those not "nostalgic for the passing of the linotype era." - it's "lead".

I see journalists write "lede" all the time.

• wallywestwallywest Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    HydrusX wrote: »

He said "as spoken of in Revelations". The book in the Bible is called Revelations. As in more than one, a whole book full of them in fact.

wallywest on
  • swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    Gabe: 24 replies to the thread! They must be discussing my news post about this really cool game Lightseekers or my creative illustration of the various game facets

Tycho: No no no. It's probably just a discussion about my word usage and their meanings. No one cares about games or art or these things you cherish.

Gabe views thread: motherfucker!

(ed. note: it's probably a good thing I don't write comic strips for a living)

edited September 2017
    wallywest wrote: »

He said "as spoken of in Revelations". The book in the Bible is called Revelations. As in more than one, a whole book full of them in fact.

Not according to Wikipedia. It's "The Book of Revelation". But yeah, people do say "Revelations" all the time. And there isn't any reason why the "Revelations" Tycho is talking have to be the ones from the Christian New Testament.

YoungFrey on
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    It's pretty obvious that Tycho is referring to 2005 TV mini-series Revelations starring Bill Paxton. CONTEXT, people. Context.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    jwalk wrote: »

Er, your source there says it wasn't common in the past like believed and that it is common now. And given Merriam-Webster sources passages from NPR and A.V. club it seems modern outlets like lede just fine.

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

Not according to Wikipedia. It's "The Book of Revelation". But yeah, people do say "Revelations" all the time. And there isn't any reason why the "Revelations" Tycho is talking have to be the ones from the Christian New Testament.

Well, except that that's where the Beast is from. It's a common mistake, but it is wrong.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • CharlesMabeCharlesMabe Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    CharlesMabe was warned for this.
    @WallyWest And the winner for the stupidest comment of the week on the whole internet goes to...!

"He said "as spoken of in Revelations". The book in the Bible is called Revelations. As in more than one, a whole book full of them in fact."

I can't believe how hard it is for you people to actually Google something or pick up a Bible. It's like everyone in the U.S. thinks they know what's in the Bible but almost none of them have actually picked one up, ever. God humans are f***ing stupid.

CharlesMabe on
  • SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular

Could be worse, I thought it was spelled "Relevations" well into my teens. Granted, English isnt my first language, but still.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Boy howdy that comic sure was funny and light seekers seems like an interesting card game we should talk about them!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    zaitcev wrote: »
    This strip reminds me how they asked the guy who made Simpsons and Futurama (Matt Groening), why skin in Futurama is pink while skin in Simpsons is yellow. He replied that Futurama was set far in the future and there was some evolution.

Well that can't be right, as we see people from our era all the time in Futurama. Fry, for example.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • wallywestwallywest Registered User regular
    @WallyWest And the winner for the stupidest comment of the week on the whole internet goes to...!

"He said "as spoken of in Revelations". The book in the Bible is called Revelations. As in more than one, a whole book full of them in fact."

I can't believe how hard it is for you people to actually Google something or pick up a Bible. It's like everyone in the U.S. thinks they know what's in the Bible but almost none of them have actually picked one up, ever. God humans are f***ing stupid.

I know, it's almost like people respond to stuff on the internet without doing the appropriate level of research.

Insanity, frogs raining from the sky, cats sleeping with dogs. Wouldn't surprise me if the Beast from Revelations shows up!

Well that can't be right, as we see people from our era all the time in Futurama. Fry, for example.

They said on one of the DVD commentaries that one of the conceits was that The Simpsons was fake, and Futurama was "real". Which is why they find Simpson's merch when they go to the Big Ball of Garbage. It would explain the skin tones too.

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular

They said on one of the DVD commentaries that one of the conceits was that The Simpsons was fake, and Futurama was "real". Which is why they find Simpson's merch when they go to the Big Ball of Garbage. It would explain the skin tones too.

I just assumed that everyone in the Simpsonsverse have jaundice or something

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »

On (I think) another of the DVD commentaries Groening said that he liked the idea of making people think that the colour balance on their TV was off

Although this might be one of those things that just is, and Groening has a number of explanations for the yellow skin

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Sadgasm wrote: »

On (I think) another of the DVD commentaries Groening said that he liked the idea of making people think that the colour balance on their TV was off

Although this might be one of those things that just is, and Groening has a number of explanations for the yellow skin

even not looking at the skin tone of the Simpsons, the first few seasons when it was still animated by hand in the US, the colors of everything looked off, especially on that big CRT tv we had back in the 80's.

• AbelhawkAbelhawk Registered User regular
    This is a bit beyond my respect for laziness... The same cards are falling from the armful of stuff! Come on, I'm all for copy and paste, but that's ridiculous.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Abelhawk wrote: »
    This is a bit beyond my respect for laziness... The same cards are falling from the armful of stuff! Come on, I'm all for copy and paste, but that's ridiculous.
    You wanna talk laziness, let's talk not reading the comments before writing your own!