As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Magic: the Gathering] Uguu~~ The Spiwit Dwagon

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Rise from the Jar is hilarious and people don't know what to make of it.

That is all.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So my friends are starting to get a little more serious with EDH. Our 4 to 5 player games used to last about 2 or 3 hours and now if everyone is going aggressive we can finish a game in an hour, hour and a half at most.

One thing we have been discussing is the use of mass land destruction. I personally am against it. I do not mind single land destruction, but destroying one or all player's lands does not sit well with me.

Either way they are heavily leaning to allowing them so I figured I would beat everyone to the punch in this arms race. I already have Damnation, Wrath of God, Akroma's Vengeance, Merciless Eviction, and End Hostilities in my RBW EDH deck. I also have a Dimensional Breach and Sunscour off to the side somewhere because I already have too much board wipe, figure I do not need more. I also just bought Apocalypse, Obliterate, Armageddon, Ajani Vengeant, and Living Death. If I even add these cards I have no idea what I would remove from my RBW deck.

Until that non-sense starts I do want to get some advice on my RBW deck as it is. I kind of want to drop all of the planeswalkers and replace them with more creatures. They are taking up six slots that I could fill with more useful angels, demons, or dragons for the deck. RBW Kalia EDH Any suggestions?

I also finally got to play the Maelstrom Wanderer deck I bought. I added Warp World to it. The first game I won with complete control. I had ramped almost all of my land into play as well. At one point I had 25 lands in play but everyone else had gotten kind of mana screwed. What essentially won me the game was dropping Izzet Chronarch and grabbing Devastation Tide and comboing it every turn. I would drop Maelstrom Wanderer twice a turn and next turn get Devastation Tide back. The game after that I did not get any of my ramp and I got rolled. Cascading Warp World EDH deck

I like both of my decks but they both make me a huge target right out of the gate.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    So my friends are starting to get a little more serious with EDH. Our 4 to 5 player games used to last about 2 or 3 hours and now if everyone is going aggressive we can finish a game in an hour, hour and a half at most.

One thing we have been discussing is the use of mass land destruction. I personally am against it. I do not mind single land destruction, but destroying one or all player's lands does not sit well with me.

Either way they are heavily leaning to allowing them so I figured I would beat everyone to the punch in this arms race. I already have Damnation, Wrath of God, Akroma's Vengeance, Merciless Eviction, and End Hostilities in my RBW EDH deck. I also have a Dimensional Breach and Sunscour off to the side somewhere because I already have too much board wipe, figure I do not need more. I also just bought Apocalypse, Obliterate, Armageddon, Ajani Vengeant, and Living Death. If I even add these cards I have no idea what I would remove from my RBW deck.

Until that non-sense starts I do want to get some advice on my RBW deck as it is. I kind of want to drop all of the planeswalkers and replace them with more creatures. They are taking up six slots that I could fill with more useful angels, demons, or dragons for the deck. RBW Kalia EDH Any suggestions?

I play Kaalia as my main EDH deck. I play zero planeswalkers in it - the deck is designed to go all-in on flying creatures. That said, I think the best walkers in your deck are Ob Nixilis, Nahiri, and Liliana Heretical Healer. I'd cut the other three at the very least.

Griselbrand is banned in EDH. He's too much of a card advantage machine.

I think you've got a decent creature package. It's pretty similar to mine. I'm not a fan of Duplicant or Firemane Avenger. Avenger is too slow (her ability doesn't trigger when she's Kaalia'ed into play) and too small (3/3 meh) and 3 damage just isn't splashy enough. Duplicant is a good EDH card, but it's usually used in colors like blue and green that have poor access to target creature removal. Kaalia can do instant-speed target creature removal - I'd consider Utter End or Anguished Unmaking instead.

That said, you have a lot of spot removal. Doom Blade, Mortify, and Terminate are kind of unexciting to me. I'd just cut them. I play Into the Core, but that's mostly because I run into Mycosynth Lattice/Darksteel Forge combo on occasion.

I also like to run Aegis Angel and Deathless Angel to protect Kaalia, Bladewing the Risen for resurrection, and Resolute Archangel to keep me alive if I take some early beats. I also play Bloodgift Demon instead of Phyrexian Arena. Basically the same effect, only attached to a body that I can pull in with Kaalia. Adjust for your meta.

I'm not at all fond of uncommon, come-into-play-tapped dual lands like Cinder Barrens. I prefer basics over them. Naya and Jund Panorama are okay if you don't have any Zendikar/Khans fetchlands.

Homeward Path is an absolute must-have in Kaalia IMO. You'll get absolutely wrecked by cards like Insurrection and Bribery. Homeward Path gives you a little insurance against them.

Command Tower is oddly missing. Do you not own any?

Consider Spinerock Knoll. The hideaway requirement is easy to achieve in Kaalia and it gives you another free creature - but it might be risky if people are throwing around mass land destruction.

Zombify is okay but there are better choices. Grave Exchange gets you a little bit of card advantage. Victimize can be hilarious, like when somebody plays Darksteel Mutation, and it also flips your Liliana Heretical Healer. Unburial Rites and Dread Return have flashback.

I'm not sure if Increasing Ambition is worth it. You have Demonic and Diabolic Tutor, Beseech the Queen, and Rune-Scarred Demon. Seems like enough tutoring to me.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    BTW, you're running Urborg Tomb of Yawgmoth, but not Cabal Coffers, Crypt Ghast, Nirkana Revenant, or Liliana of the Dark Realms. You could be drinking that sweet sweet black mana.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

If I remember right the main reason I used the tomb was because I used to run a Nightmare in the deck. For the most part it is just in there now just in case I get no swamps and some how get that instead.

My friends and I pretty much ignore the ban list entirely so the Griselbrand card has not been an issue.

I do not have a command tower for this deck but I might take one from another deck that I will not be using anymore.

I also cannot believe I do not have an Unburial Rites. I bought two booster boxes of Innistrad and I could not find a single one.

I recently got an Archangel Avacyn but I am not too sure if I want to run it yet.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

Twilight Shepard is also good wrath protection for Kaalia.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

For given values of "protection". I've never been a fan of the fact that Twilight Shepherd returns things to your hand. Kaalia might not care as much, though.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Vyolynce wrote: »

For given values of "protection". I've never been a fan of the fact that Twilight Shepherd returns things to your hand. Kaalia might not care as much, though.

Yep, exactly.

Got the new version of my EDH deck up. RBW Kaalia v3: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rbw-v3/

Added the land wipes and some of the suggested cards that I had. My deck is an even bigger target now. First game I got Kaalia out and then threw out an early Armageddon. Next game I won but everyone instantly went for me.

Third game I did not get much mana and they rolled Kaalia so I ended up throwing down a lot of board wipe before dying. I did a Damnation, two turns later I played Living Death and then another two turns I played Wrath of God and then someone finally took me out.

The final game was really close. My friend runs a nekasar deck and towards the end he did a bunch of forced hand resets and nearly killed everyone but it helped me get dimensional breach and I had Kaalia and Gisela in play so I brought back Kaalia but my brother was beating my ass and I was going to lose but then my friends wife played Wrath of God and I got Gisela out and then played Armageddon and ended up winning.

I might go back to the previous version of my deck, v3 feels a little too mean.

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    yeah i tend to feel like land destruction is a little bit Bad if you want to still play edh with friends.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I definitely put together a hardcore daretti lockout STAX land destruction deck and immediately parted it out to other decks because when I was finished and looked upon what I had created, I knew I could never show the world

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I ran Armageddon combo decks back in the day a few times. But always with my local playgroup and always with the public understanding that if it worked once I'd tear it down when I got home.

That stipulation saved me a lot of incoming rage at my shenanigans back in the day.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Yeah, sounds like when I put Time Stretch in my Riku EDH deck. Turns out 4 consecutive turns is enough to win in what would otherwise be unwinnable situations. I did that once and then promised my friends to remove the card because 40 minutes of me goldfishing a triple player kill isn't fun.

anything past 1 extra turn per 'round' is the lamest thing in the wooooorld to play against

A friend of mine says he found an infinite turn loop.

I don't really like using land destruction, at least not the kind that destroys all lands. I keep trying to tell my group mass land destruction sucks but they have never had to deal with it so they do not know. Thought I would use them so they can see how it rolls. Not sure of the outcome yet.

Oh I'll absolutely play like, ghost quarter or something of the like to take out specific trouble lands (fuck coffers, etc) but i never wanna sit at a table with someone playing armageddon or jokulhaups

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    They've been better recently about printing land destruction that can deal with problematic non-basics without mana-screwing someone (usually). You can even get mass land destruction with Wave of Vitriol.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I'll duo land destruction when it's otherwise pretty silly. I had an Earthblighter, Goblin Gardener deck that basically threw goblins at lands. It was fun, and honestly not very strong. In any situation where someone is going to actually get competitive, though, I avoid it unless it's nonmanascrewing or available as part of another ability that I can use without hurting someone's feelings.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    That Crumble to Dust you like is going to come back in style...

But not in EDH. Just Standard. Nice to rip all their Westvale Abbeys out of their deck on your turn after they tap to make the fifth token to sac to it. Wish it was an instant.

(It is with Brain in a Jar)

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991

There are a ton of infinite turn loops. Some of them are two card combos (Soulfire Grand Master+Time Warp, Thopter Assembly+Time Sieve) and there are way more three-card infinite turn combos than I could possibly count.

Most casual playgroups have a gentleman's agreement not to abuse extra turns because of shenanigans like these.

Oh I'll absolutely play like, ghost quarter or something of the like to take out specific trouble lands (fuck coffers, etc) but i never wanna sit at a table with someone playing armageddon or jokulhaups

I will Ghost Quarters/Woodland Primus/etc any land that produces non-finite amount of mana (Cabal Coffers, Gaea's Cradle, Nykthos) with extreme prejudice and without apology.

Fuck. Those. Lands.

There are a ton of infinite turn loops. Some of them are two card combos (Soulfire Grand Master+Time Warp, Thopter Assembly+Time Sieve) and there are way more three-card infinite turn combos than I could possibly count.

Most casual playgroups have a gentleman's agreement not to abuse extra turns because of shenanigans like these.

I will Ghost Quarters/Woodland Primus/etc any land that produces non-finite amount of mana (Cabal Coffers, Gaea's Cradle, Nykthos) with extreme prejudice and without apology.

Fuck. Those. Lands.

And for the groups that don't promise not to take extra turns:

136.jpg

Yeah that card needs some reprinting. It hasn't been seen since the first Commander release.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    but nykthos and extra turns is the only way I have a chance with my Edric deck! An army of 1/1s isn't getting there otherwise

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Yeah that card needs some reprinting. It hasn't been seen since the first Commander release.

plus it's some of the best red flavor text

edited May 2016
    Oh hey JTMS reprinted in Eternal Masters? I was not expecting that.

...said nobody who put even five seconds of thought into the question.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    I just feel bad about blocking fair cards like Terramorphic Expanse.

EMA unnnnffffff

So glad I preordered

edited June 2016
    Played in three EMA drafts Saturday. Lost in the first round of the only one offering prizes (the others were just $25 "have fun" events), but opened Mana Crypt twice and my wife picked up a Karakas so I think I still came out ahead.

EDIT: Other notable pickups: Shardless Agent, Entomb, Brago, foil Crater Hellion, and a foil Cap'n Tickles (Giant Solifuge). Non-notable pickups included every "pit fighter champion" save Arcanis. :P

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Someone stop me. I may want to build a Theros block cube.

Also: one of my friends who has not played Magic in years did an EMA draft on a lark and had a massive blast and pulled some sweet money cards. I'm tempted to give it a try... even though I kinda suck at drafting still.

Curly_Brace on
    The only way to get better is to keep playing, imo

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Played some more EDH tonight. Running my Kaalia deck. It was turn 8 or 9. A friend played End Hostilities and I played Eerie Interlude to save my Kaalia and then I played Armageddon on my turn and it was pretty much over at that point.

Next game I was land screwed for 10 or so turns until I finally got my 4th land, played Kaalia and then ended up winning.

I was about to get the Gisela/Bruna combo card out but I ended up winning when I was able to do it.

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    We finally got around to trying (some of) the pile of Conspiracy we had lying around

Did you know that Conspiracy is super fun?

I made a black-white deck that was all about exploiting the monarch effect. Also it had two Assemble the Rank and Vile and a Spy kit for infinite Zombie grind. Having a reliable source of token creatures that was safe in the command zone meant I could cut down on actual creatures and just fill the rest of my deck with removal and sit back and Garrulous Sycophant everybody to death (very slowly). Oh also, Phyrexian Arena seems good?

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Whoa, the MtG thread is back.
    8scudf7umrqm.jpg

Oh I didn't even realize this was the CF thread. I'd been posting in the SE++ one so long I forgot this one was still here and was wondering why "the old thread" was still unlocked.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Madpoet wrote: »
    Whoa, the MtG thread is back.
    8scudf7umrqm.jpg

Yeah, I uh, wanted to talk about Conspiracy and only realised afterwards that I had done a Liliana

So yeah, how about that whole Arena thing huh? Seems potentially pretty neat, speaking as someone who has a hard time dealing with MTGO (which looks like poop from a butt and the interface was designed by KGB torture-bureaucrats is my considered and balanced analysis).

edit: also I played a Raise Dead in my very zombie-based deck in the aforementioned Conspiracy draft so like, full circle I guess.

jakobagger on
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I'm really curious how they will handle mtgo and arena long term. The claim is that mtgo will focus on older formats with arena being standard. However eventually they will hot the same thing they did with mtgo, which is they will have enough to justify porting in older content (mtgo started with invasion). It'll be nice if they can keep a cohesive and manageable platform, but questions like what transition path (if any?) From mtgo to arena will there be remain.

Also I checked eBay for the has on stuff mostly because I want the grimlock playmat. What's sad is I bet this is the cheapest it will ever be $100-200. On site I think it's $30 for the entire thing, promos and playmat.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I'm really curious how they will handle mtgo and arena long term. The claim is that mtgo will focus on older formats with arena being standard. However eventually they will hot the same thing they did with mtgo, which is they will have enough to justify porting in older content (mtgo started with invasion). It'll be nice if they can keep a cohesive and manageable platform, but questions like what transition path (if any?) From mtgo to arena will there be remain.

Also I checked eBay for the has on stuff mostly because I want the grimlock playmat. What's sad is I bet this is the cheapest it will ever be $100-200. On site I think it's $30 for the entire thing, promos and playmat.

I think they eventually have to add the old content into Arena, especially now that Magic streaming is a thing. The famous streamers are older players who enjoy playing older formats (also CUUUUBE). I think they are now significant opinion drivers. If LSV won't stream Arena/continues to stream MTGO because he wants to play -whatever-, .....

hippofant on
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

I think they eventually have to add the old contest into Arena, especially now that Magic streaming is a thing. The famous streamers are older players who enjoy playing older formats (also CUUUUBE). I think they are now significant opinion drivers. If LSV won't stream Arena/continues to stream MTGO because he wants to play -whatever-, .....

I'm sure they will eventually. they claim this divide is the plan, but presumably just for the moment.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Drafting on MTGO right now feels great. The move to leagues and not having to twiddle your thumbs waiting for the round to end was super smart. The new sets are available right away, and there's lots of great streaming content.

Whatever they do with Arena, I hope they don't damage or kill what we have for drafting and the occasional sealed deck right now.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2