As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The TV Thread: More for Less

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    The P50S60 measured a black level of 0.004 when new. The only measurement on the X900E I can find is 0.015, but not sure if it's a directly comparable test. If you're disappointed with the black levels on the S60, the only notable upgrade would be an OLED set (or it isn't set up properly).

I would expect the colors on the X900E to be notably better, though.

Your receiver should be fine for passing through HDR and 4K content. Make sure your cable supports HDMI 2.0+, though. Normally not a problem, but I don't know enough about the active cables to be sure.

a5ehren on
  • VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    a5ehren wrote: »
    The P50S60 measured a black level of 0.004 when new. The only measurement on the X900E I can find is 0.015, but not sure if it's a directly comparable test. If you're disappointed with the black levels on the S60, the only notable upgrade would be an OLED set (or it isn't set up properly).

Your receiver should be fine for passing through HDR and 4K content. Make sure your cable supports HDMI 2.0+, though. Normally not a problem, but I don't know enough about the active cables to be sure.

Dang, I wonder if I do have a poorly calibrated setup. I've got no Blu-ray to run most calibration discs and never could find a good digital version to use. I've probably got it all sorts of bass-akwards even though I tried to set it up to match whatever I could find online.

Cable could very well be a cheapo version that doesn't support HDMI 2.0, but I'm not sure how to check. I'll try and grab my old receipt from when I ordered it to verify but I don't feel hopeful on that front. A PC relocation might be in order.

Edit: shoot.

https://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/description/9170?maincategoryid=102&categoryid=10255&subcategoryid=1025507

Varinn on
    Varinn wrote: »

Dang, I wonder if I do have a poorly calibrated setup. I've got no Blu-ray to run most calibration discs and never could find a good digital version to use. I've probably got it all sorts of bass-akwards even though I tried to set it up to match whatever I could find online.

Cable could very well be a cheapo version that doesn't support HDMI 2.0, but I'm not sure how to check. I'll try and grab my old receipt from when I ordered it to verify but I don't feel hopeful on that front. A PC relocation might be in order.

Edit: shoot.

https://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/description/9170?maincategoryid=102&categoryid=10255&subcategoryid=1025507

Yeah, if you get into the Q&A section Monoprice says that the cable will not do HDR. They seem to have newer cables that would work though, so just factor a cable replacement into your budget and you should be OK.

You may even be able to get a passive cable that runs 35ft now, but I have to run and can't check at the moment.

• Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    So my 11 year old 37LG50 (37", 1080p) tv decided to not turn back on after turning it off for dinner last night. The power light was flashing quickly and it was making an audible clicking noise. Unplugged it, "reset" it and managed to get it going again but I see that as a warning, I need a new TV.

I'm behind the technology curve so looking for recommendations. I game a little on PS3/4, Netflix or other 720p/1080p content. Only real broadcast TV I watch is football (with an HD box) so some decent response time would be nice; or is that even a thing anymore? I've had and liked LG tvs/monitors basically the last decade but my parents little Samsung is nice too. Thoughts? Suggestions? Reading the last couple pages, I think 4K probably isn't necessary, just a nice 1080p one.

Also Canada so a lot of the 200-500 TVs either don't exist or are double the price up here.

edit - make it a little less open ended. What do people feel about a 43 inch 4K LG (43UJ6300) vs a 49 inch 1080p LG (49LJ5500). $700 for a 4K, $650 for a larger 1080p.

Gilbert0 on
    4K on a 43" screen is a waste unless you sit extremely close. Go for the 49" model.

4K on a 43" screen is a waste unless you sit extremely close. Go for the 49" model.

and I don't sit super close. Good to know thanks. Unless there is some kind of huge sale to bring a 4K down to the same price as a 1080p, I'll stick to bigger.

Just curiosity, at what size is it more noticeable? mid-50's? over 60?

Well it's a function of how close you are and how big the screen is. In general, I'd say 60+ for TV viewing.

For most people the difference will really be getting a higher bitrate stream from Netflix/etc or HDR content on the higher-end sets.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    resolution_chart.png

This chart works pretty well for getting an estimate.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    So basically, it's 4K is more a marketing gimmick to try to get people to constantly spend more money. Unless you have a gigantic TV or sit super close.

I'm SHOCKED. :D

edited July 2017
    I'll be honest, I'm not a big time TV buff by any means but a 4k panel to me is a significant improvement in image clarity assuming it's running a proper feed and everything when compared to 1080p. I see that chart all the time but maybe it's just me, the difference is staggering between 1080p and 2160p and that's not even getting into color, black levels, etc of some of the higher end models.

That being said, I've seen movies on 4k screens before and sometimes you can tell the difference easily, other times not so much. Anecdotal, but I'm super excited for the increased clarity of a 4k Chroma 4:4:4 for my usage with my computer and for gaming.

Also if you're in Canada north of Seattle (hello fellow Vancouverite?) try looking on Amazon.com. We're close enough to the border to make it worthwhile to jump across. I'm hopeful that my 55X900E will go on prime-day sale for about 1k USD where I doubt it will drop below $1700 canadian.

EDIT: I checked my calibration settings on my P50S60 plasma (from further up this page) and found I had it a bit wacky. I dropped a couple settings down a touch and suddenly the blacks are black instead of grey which made me very happy. That being said I didn't want it to be TOO nice or how am I to convince the fiance it's upgrade time if the set still looked great?

Varinn on
    I'll be honest, I'm not a big time TV buff by any means but a 4k panel to me is a significant improvement in image clarity assuming it's running a proper feed and everything when compared to 1080p. I see that chart all the time but maybe it's just me, the difference is staggering between 1080p and 2160p and that's not even getting into color, black levels, etc of some of the higher end models.

Also if you're in Canada north of Seattle (hello fellow Vancouverite?) try looking on Amazon.com. We're close enough to the border to make it worthwhile to jump across. I'm hopeful that my 55X900E will go on prime-day sale for about 1k USD where I doubt it will drop below $1700 canadian.

and with me not going high end (a sub-$800 is not high end), does it matter? On the fence 4K or not and it comes down to non-technical factors too. Budget (just did renos/taxes due), getting the wife on-board, may be looking for a new job soon, etc. It's on for hours a day, so we might as well get something nice that can last and spend that extra couple hundred now.

And it's Victoria for me. If I want to hit the US, I pay the BC Ferry tax of a couple hundred which counters any real savings unfortunately.

edited July 2017
    Gilbert0 wrote: »

and with me not going high end (a sub-$800 is not high end), does it matter? On the fence 4K or not and it comes down to non-technical factors too. Budget (just did renos/taxes due), getting the wife on-board, may be looking for a new job soon, etc. It's on for hours a day, so we might as well get something nice that can last and spend that extra couple hundred now.

And it's Victoria for me. If I want to hit the US, I pay the BC Ferry tax of a couple hundred which counters any real savings unfortunately.

Ok yeah, grew up on the island and those ferries really bork any ideas of savings in that sense. It's a shame as I find our local electronics prices to be ridiculous for some things. Those LG displays don't offer much savings to justify the travel across the line though so take solace in the fact that the prices are about the same.

In your case I think a 49" 1080P is the better option. That's a pretty decent real estate increase and 43" is for sure on the smaller end of the spectrum.

Varinn on
    edited July 2017
    Was cleaning around the house and happened to open my box o' cables to put something away. I found inside it my 30ft RedMere HDMI that I thought I had installed in my wall-run between my computer desk and TV. I did a double check and found that it seems I ended up using my old generic HDMI cable and after checking back in my order history I found I had a 25ft Monoprice labelled with product code 2841. Typing 2841 into the search brings up that page even though it has a different product code now.

Am I crazy or is this one actually 4k/60 capable???

Varinn on
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    The link you posted says it only does 4k/24, but you might as well give it a try.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    resolution_chart.png

This chart works pretty well for getting an estimate.

I feel like this image assumes you have terrible eyesight.

My own glasses are scratched all to hell to the point where they need replacing if I want to drive safely at night when it's raining, and I can still see a distinct difference between 720p content and 1080p content on my 60 inch Samsung from over 20 feet away. 576p content (PAL DVDs) are obviously pixellated on that same screen and distance, and 480p (broadcast television) looks like shit, but then that's also much more compressed than physical media.

I'm somewhat skeptical of that chart as well, but if you're seeing a clear difference between 720 and 1080 at 20 feet it is probably due to encoding differences and not resolution.

My hopes have been dashed away, this Amazon prime day sale is junk... I'd never looked into it before and kept hearing about great deals on TV's, but so far I've only seen 3 different models go on sale and I think 2 of them were Amazon's in-house brand.

Prime Day has always sucked. US Black Friday is the big TV day, and then good deals are around in late January through March to get rid of old stock.

Yeah it looks like I'm going to be waiting a while longer, I guess I mildly bought into the hype about Prime Day and had hoped it would mean decent pricing drops. That being said, the model I want is already cheaper than almost anywhere else but not enough for me to pull the trigger yet. Oh well, I can wait! At least I know which model I want, I'll just keep it in my shopping wishlist so I don't need to do all my researching again at a later date.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    So here is my situation.

Last winter, I built a fancy new gaming PC specifically for the living room. GeForce 1070, i5-6600K, etc. This computer can push 4k in many games without breaking a sweat.

The TV though is an older 39" 720p LCD. It's okay, but it's starting to glitch out occasionally. It will lock up with a black screen intermittently when changing inputs.

I don't use this TV to watch TV or movies. It is entirely for PC and console games.

One constraint is that the space that the TV goes in can accept, at max, a 49" screen. Even that would be tight, so I'm really looking at 43".

How dumb is it to buy a 43" 4K TV now instead of waiting for black friday, given that I don't know if my 720p TV's glitching problems are merely a minor annoyance or a sign of impending doom?

I'm thinking about this deal from Dell: Samsung 43 Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart TV UN43MU6300F UHD TV
    $550, and they give you a $200 Dell gift card with a 90-day expiration

The other two options I'm considering are:

TCL S405 which got decent ratings from rtings.com and has remarkably low input lag. I'm concerned about the backlight flicker. I know from prior experience with cheap monitors and fluorescent lights that 60hz flickering sometimes bothers me.

Or a used Sony X800D. These usually go for $600-700, so I'd be spending more money for an older model. There's a used one on eBay today for $550 but I don't expect that one to last. Best I can figure, though, the only significant differences between the X800D and the newer X800E are the Smart TV features which I couldn't care less about.

Any thoughts?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I ended up buying a Sony XBR 43X800E from a warehouse seller for $620.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Any thoughts on the Samsung UN55MU6300? Going to be our main tv with an Xbox one, PS4 and cable hooked up to it. Is the 21ms latency going to kill me?

50433.png?1708759015
    Ordered my new Sony XBR55X900E last night! I'm super excited, its the first TV I've ever spent time to research and its by far the best class of screen I've ever bought. It was on sale for 1198 through B&H with free shipping.

• ragnarok7331ragnarok7331 Registered User regular
    Ordered my new Sony XBR55X900E last night! I'm super excited, its the first TV I've ever spent time to research and its by far the best class of screen I've ever bought. It was on sale for 1198 through B&H with free shipping.

Please let me know what you think of it! I've been trying to research new TVs and have been a bit overwhelmed by all of the options out there. That Sony is in the exact price and size range I'm looking for - I've just had difficulty deciding between it and comparable models from other manufacturers.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I have this TV but the model from last year. There's a bit of occasional wonkiness with the Android apps, but the important ones (Netflix, YouTube, Amazon) work perfectly. And the picture is just gorgeous. No regrets.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Hello all. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a Harmony Hub and remote, the kind with no screen on the remote. Worked fine with my old setup including a Roku3, but it will not work with my new TCL 55S405. No power or response of any kind.

The Hub had no matching model number and using their generic 'Roku TV' or 'TCL Roku TV' don't seem to work. I have two IR blasters so it should be getting the signal, and my soundbar still works fine.

Thanks!

Please let me know what you think of it! I've been trying to research new TVs and have been a bit overwhelmed by all of the options out there. That Sony is in the exact price and size range I'm looking for - I've just had difficulty deciding between it and comparable models from other manufacturers.

So I got it home tonight, and to keep the basic opinion up front... I love it.

Right out of the box I found it to be slow and unresponsive to navigate, Netflix was choppy, brightness hurt my eyes and the audio sucked. Ok. Expected, but the slow menus had me a bit nervous.

I did the Android update while I continued to plug away at things wiring wise then played with some settings like input labels, disabled the ones I won't use, set picture mode in Netflix to Cinema Pro, disabled energy saving features, enabled HDMI CEC, set HDR, turned off motionflow (important! This was the juttering in the Netflix videos). Watched an episode of Daredevil in 4k and what a difference, how could anyone claim to not see any difference between 4k and 1080p?! So much more clarity and the colours are such a significant improvement over my old plasma it is not even comparable. Banding is gone, skins look natural and not over vibrant or washed out, blacks are black. The max brightness can still be pretty intense so I may play more tomorrow.

For the sake of trying it I hooked up my PC to test and it auto detected 4k which was cool but I dropped that so fast as soon as I tried setting a custom resolution with 1080/120. Titanfall 2 feels brilliantly smooth now. And again, colours and clarity are vastly improved. This tv seems to display 1080p with very crisp lines even in game mode. I need to tweak more here and figure out how to get the audio passthrough working right. In Netflix I can get 5.1PCM but when feeding the TV with a 5.1 signal over HDMI it only sends out 2.0 to the receiver over the ARC channel. I suspect I had my settings jacked and I need to put it to auto vs always PCM out.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Specific question concerning the Samsung KS8000 series, in case anyone here has one of them: this is a gut feeling more than anything else, but to my eyes the Netflix app looks more fuzzy than the PS4 Netflix app. I'm not necessarily talking about the shows themselves but the UI and text. Is that possible or is it more likely to be a settings thing? I'm asking because I used to use the PS4 app exclusively, but that one doesn't do HDR, which I believe the Samsung app does.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Hello all. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a Harmony Hub and remote, the kind with no screen on the remote. Worked fine with my old setup including a Roku3, but it will not work with my new TCL 55S405. No power or response of any kind.

The Hub had no matching model number and using their generic 'Roku TV' or 'TCL Roku TV' don't seem to work. I have two IR blasters so it should be getting the signal, and my soundbar still works fine.

Thanks!

Are you setting up your Hub with the Harmony app on your phone? If so, don't bother. Just use the computer MyHarmony software, it does a better job finding codes and letting you adjust things.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yeah on my phone.

I'll try that, thanks. This weekend I at least got it to respond to the remote - apparently it needs both ir blasters pointing at it to work.

MichaelLC wrote: »
    Yeah on my phone.

I'll try that, thanks. This weekend I at least got it to respond to the remote - apparently it needs both ir blasters pointing at it to work.

It shouldn't. As long as the base can get a clearish shot, it should work.

Though I hate setting up those things. The 665 works way better and is simpler to use and set up, and the Elite is way better for concealed devices thanks to the extra IR blasters.

edited September 2017
    So a minor followup on the X900E experience so far. The picture is great, the netflix app works great, 4k and upscaled 1080p works great. I haven't had much time to play around with it but I spent a bit more looking at my issues with the PC not being able to run 5.1 audio over HDMI/ARC yesterday. Sony tech support told me two things.

1: Suggested to try a factory reset. I'll see if it works tonight, maybe an easy solution to my audio problem?
    2: He says this screen cannot be run at 1080p/120hz.... except my PC is currently set to 1080p/120hz and I used it that way last night and the night before so... wat? I even verified the settings using the "display" button on the remote that shows your current input specs and it lists 120hz.

PS: Does anyone know of a list of games that can be run at 120hz?

Varinn on
    edited September 2017
    So more info on audio. A case of "the more you know!"

HDMI audio can pass 7.1+ in PCM directly, but when running over an ARC it can do 5.1 Dolby, DD+, and DTS for sure. PCM however is downsampled to 2.0
    Optical can also pass 7.1+ but only in the various Dolby/whatever codecs. PCM (even when connected directly from source to receiver) is limited to 2.0.

What this means for me?? I am correctly feeding my tv with the 5.1 PCM from the computer, but it has no options to feed that same 5.1 PCM to the receiver so it is downsampling to 2.0 over ARC/Optical. It could however work if I was running a Dolby source for example, but most games are not that.

My options are basically:
    1: Find an HDMI splitter that can support 18gbps and HDMI 2.0b to maintain all features (hopefully one that wouldn't add much lag)
    2: Replace my receiver with one that supports 2.0b passthrough (ideal option down the line)
    3: Connect directly to the current receiver which gives 5.1 PCM and HDMI 2.0 (not a or b). This maintains 1080p/120hz surprisingly but I lose HDR support.
    4: Suggestion from a friend, buy a $50 pascal or such era videocard with HDMI out purely to function as my audio processing unit while the 1060 does main duty.

Varinn on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    So more info on audio. A case of "the more you know!"

HDMI audio can pass 7.1+ in PCM directly, but when running over an ARC it can do 5.1 Dolby, DD+, and DTS for sure. PCM however is downsampled to 2.0
    Optical can also pass 7.1+ but only in the various Dolby/whatever codecs. PCM (even when connected directly from source to receiver) is limited to 2.0.

What this means for me?? I am correctly feeding my tv with the 5.1 PCM from the computer, but it has no options to feed that same 5.1 PCM to the receiver so it is downsampling to 2.0 over ARC/Optical. It could however work if I was running a Dolby source for example, but most games are not that.

My options are basically:
    1: Find an HDMI splitter that can support 18gbps and HDMI 2.0b to maintain all features (hopefully one that wouldn't add much lag)
    2: Replace my receiver with one that supports 2.0b passthrough (ideal option down the line)
    3: Connect directly to the current receiver which gives 5.1 PCM and HDMI 2.0 (not a or b). This maintains 1080p/120hz surprisingly but I lose HDR support.
    4: Suggestion from a friend, buy a $50 pascal or such era videocard with HDMI out purely to function as my audio processing unit while the 1060 does main duty.

Re the bolded, wouldn't just buying a sound card do the same thing or do you need your audio and video going through the same cable?

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Why does my Samsung 55" tv manual recommend using "m8 screws between 20.7mm and 21.7mm in length" for VESA wall mounts when every such mount on the planet comes with m8x20mm and m8x30mm? And no manufacturer in the world appears to sell m8x21mm screws?

I've never hung a tv before and this very well rated wall mount is making me paranoid as fuck. I'm going to abort for tonight and pick up some m8x22 or m8x25 tomorrow and an extra pack of washers. Hell, I'm losing a couple mm due to the one washer and the bracket thickness, plus the bracket's air gap.

Samsung's VESA mount wells need to have less void space between the outside of the plastic shell and the actual start of the threads.

Rius on
    I don't know which mount you have, but I usually use the 8x35 screws with the big spacers (22mm I think) when hanging Samsungs. Sanus mounts include all that crap, though.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the wall mount came with M8x30mm and some spacers, but the spacers are too big/screws are too short, pick your poison.

Hacksaw the spacers to cut a couple mm off them?