As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A thread to quarantine our [youtube] posting

19495969798100»

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    tabarnak...

For those who aren't French Canadian?

I think Google have expanded their search engine out of the province

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    My bro is a fairly big DOTA player.

Holy shit did I rip into him for using racist/sexist language a few years back. Never heard him use that language again, though he did try to put up a basic defense that it was harmless and everyone did it.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    tabarnak...

Tabarnak is the french canadian version of "for fuck's sake"

#pipe on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    tabarnak...

Here I thought it had something to do with Tabernacle.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tabarnak...

There's a direct translation to 'Strayan, which comes out to "aww for fuck's sake..." - you'll have to convert THAT into 'Murrcan yourself.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ha ha fuck, beaten by 6 minutes. I gotta refresh before posting!

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Athenor wrote: »
    tabarnak...

That is the origin of the term, yes.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    tabarnak...

It does! Lots of Quebec swears are (Catholic) church-based: tabarnak, sacrament, osti, calice.

#TheMoreYouKnow

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    tabarnak...

I think Google have expanded their search engine out of the province

The first page of Google results didn't explain it in an adequate way so I was forced to interact with an actual human being on the internet. I hope you're happy.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    The takedowns in this case are being used because it's infinitely easier than contacting Youtube on grounds of what he actually did and holding him responsible for it

That's still a function of Youtube being very bad at making their platform less toxic, and blaming Campo Santo for using the system that companies already abuse for infinitely worse reasons is refusing to engage with the real problem

I think this is a big part of the issue. I'm not okay with using DMCA to deal with this, but since YouTube ad assignments are just "randomly" generated, I definitely understand a company flagging a copyright violation in order to avoid being associated with toxic behavior. It's a problematic solution, but it's about the only one YouTube currently has for dealing with anything in an "effective" way. And that's getting to be a bigger and bigger problem for them. I think Jim Sterling really hits on the cascading issue here as well--when it gets to be a big enough problem, that toxic behavior is going to have repercussions for everyone on the platform. And while that's partly on YouTube for not having its shit together, that's a whole lot on shitty YouTubers who are old enough and influential enough they should know their behavior has far-reaching consequences. Then again, people seem to have trouble realizing that "free speech" does not extend to private platforms letting you say whatever you want with impunity....

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I've managed to resist engaging on Twitter, but I've seen multiple instances of "oh like you've never called anyone that" and I'm honestly shocked that these people think calling people the N word is something that everyone does. 90% of actual racists don't even use the fucking n word!
    There's also the classic response of "but rap music!"

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.