As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cosplay Robotics and Puppetry!

divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
Hi there! My name is Sara Winters and I'm a programmer and visually impaired cosplayer! I'm going to be doing a panel on Sunday about making puppets and robotic elements for costumes (and general nerd-don). I'm going to cover basic light sources, materials, moving jaws and tails, talking plushies... anything you would want me to discuss? I'll be bringing my Clank puppet and animatronic talking Monokuma, and probably discuss my GLaDOS build as well.

• Options
    Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Excited to see the monokuma!

• Options
    ShockkotaShockkota Registered User new member
    *looks up* GLaDOS build... Yep ill be there.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Shockkota wrote: »
    *looks up* GLaDOS build... Yep ill be there.

It's a very very old cable puppet. I'm not sure if I even have time to cover that.

Not trying to be a pessimist, just tight on time and it's a pretty old build my ex boyfriend astole so I don't even own it anymore, just have screencaps and video. If you want the WIP I would be happy to send

divisionten on
  • Options
    watsonlogicwatsonlogic Registered User new member
    Awesome! Could you spend some time going over how to solve a design problem without making it more complicated than it needs to be. I find that when I'm designing a part for 3D printing, my first few attempts are overly complicated. If I get started with cosplay I imagine I'll run into the same problems.

• Options
    The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    I'd love to know where you get your materials :D I run into the problem of knowing what I need in theory, but not being able to find it.

(And it doesn't help that I want like to touch and hold materials before I buy them. To be sure the weight/size in my head really do translate.)

And any idea if there will be a recording? I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it there yet or not. (Why'd I decide to enforce West? I already over schedule for it...)

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I'd love to know where you get your materials :D I run into the problem of knowing what I need in theory, but not being able to find it.

(And it doesn't help that I want like to touch and hold materials before I buy them. To be sure the weight/size in my head really do translate.)

And any idea if there will be a recording? I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it there yet or not. (Why'd I decide to enforce West? I already over schedule for it...)

The advantages of having a panel room enforcer for a friend- es it'll be recorded! I can absolutely touch on materials and I'll even be bringing a thing or two to give away. I have a completed audio module I'm not using and a Pi but I'm not sure how to make a fair giveaway.

Also are you more interested in specifically electronics or the non electronic structural components? Most of my talk is on the puppetry side of things and the priciples of transferring that to something animatronic- I'm assuming I can't teach code in an hour.

divisionten on
  • Options
    Awesome! Could you spend some time going over how to solve a design problem without making it more complicated than it needs to be. I find that when I'm designing a part for 3D printing, my first few attempts are overly complicated. If I get started with cosplay I imagine I'll run into the same problems.

Yup. I'll actually be walking you though my biggest design failure... haha! Something that works in theory but why it utterly failed in practice.

• Options

The advantages of having a panel room enforcer for a friend- es it'll be recorded! I can absolutely touch on materials and I'll even be bringing a thing or two to give away. I have a completed audio module I'm not using and a Pi but I'm not sure how to make a fair giveaway.

Also are you more interested in specifically electronics or the non electronic structural components? Most of my talk is on the puppetry side of things and the priciples of transferring that to something animatronic- I'm assuming I can't teach code in an hour.

Huzzah!

And I am personally interested in both electrical and not. I imagine electrical stuff is more flashy and would have more interest potentially... Especially where to buy xD But I have issues with just finding the right piece of hardware that is weirdly specific and not at Lowe's or Home Depot. (Doubly annoying when I don't know what the part is called.)

• Options

Huzzah!

And I am personally interested in both electrical and not. I imagine electrical stuff is more flashy and would have more interest potentially... Especially where to buy xD But I have issues with just finding the right piece of hardware that is weirdly specific and not at Lowe's or Home Depot. (Doubly annoying when I don't know what the part is called.)

Plumbing. 90% of the time whatever I need is in plumbing. Clank and Mr. Zurkon are everything but he sink.

• Options
    Congrats on the full panel :p

Any idea where I may view a recording?

• Options
    We're working on it! I've got a full time job as an electrical engineer so it's being cut and edited as I can

• Options
    Awesome! I look forward to seeing it.

Here I just expected a straight recording with no edits :P

• Options
    Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Really glad to hear this was filmed. Sadly I wasn't able to make it to this panel, and it sounded really intresting.