As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: X-wing Miniatures Game] Finish What You Start! (Your collection.)

19495969798100»

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Man I wish I played enough to actually require sleeving my cards.

Same. I am very OCD about protecting my gaming stuff.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    The cards are so secondary to me. I just print out or have my phone handle my squad. Doesn't help that some useful cards are in ships I have no interest to purchase or field, so being able to just print it is convenient.
    I can't remember the last time I actually laid out my squad using cards.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I usually play at my house with friends, but even when I pack up I just bring the entire giant freaking plano. I think this has become detrimental to getting new players as they see that and the army transports and a giant binder with cards and they NOPE right out of considering picking a set up for themselves. Some print-outs of cards with preplanned squads and reorganizing my plano so I only have to bring one of the mini-organizers should help out a bit. I also decided to order the Felderr cases. One thing that sold me on them is that the individual cut-outs are super modular, so I can just pack what I need for the night. I mean, sure I could do that with my existing pluck foam sheets as well, but they don't look as nice.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I usually play at my house with friends, but even when I pack up I just bring the entire giant freaking plano. I think this has become detrimental to getting new players as they see that and the army transports and a giant binder with cards and they NOPE right out of considering picking a set up for themselves. Some print-outs of cards with preplanned squads and reorganizing my plano so I only have to bring one of the mini-organizers should help out a bit. I also decided to order the Felderr cases. One thing that sold me on them is that the individual cut-outs are super modular, so I can just pack what I need for the night. I mean, sure I could do that with my existing pluck foam sheets as well, but they don't look as nice.

Yea I have a big plano that has all the bits I need to play a round, plus enough room for whatever squad I'm fielding. The rest of the fleet stays at home.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    FFG announced the TIE Silencer and B/SF-17 Resistance Bomber.

There is a huge thread complaining that the Bomber is way too small using the A-Wing in the shot as a size comparison but then someone else used a photo of an actress in the ball turret and determined that the scale is actually pretty close to accurate.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    I got two prints signed by Colin Cantwell at a game store near the house I'm buying. Got them addressed, one each, to the kids and framed. They'll get them when they're older.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    The Quadjumper is just an awesome mini. It's so ... chunky. Solid.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    starwing preview

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/10/20/indiscriminate-devastation/

looks pretty neat

the torp/missile loadout looks pretty spooky

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    ASLAM, focus, HLC? Sure, don't mind if I do.

Uh... Slam, reload, ptl TL/focus, fire missile? I think that works?

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Cruise Missiles+Saturation Salvo seems like it could be interesting against the right list.

Cruise Missiles specifically states "may", so you can choose to roll only 1 attack die and purposefully miss to go for damage against multiple ships with 2 agi or lower. It looks like it can hit your own ships as well, however.

crimsoncoyote on
    Cruise Missiles+Saturation Salvo seems like it could be interesting against the right list.

Cruise Missiles specifically states "may", so you can choose to roll only 1 attack die and purposefully miss to go for damage against multiple ships with 2 agi or lower. It looks like it can hit your own ships as well, however.

I am totally going to try this. And it doesn't have to be multiple... it hits the original target too.

Or you could have a ship with accuracy corrector and force misses, but I don't think any ship exists with infinite missiles, system, and EPT.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Going to buy four Assault Gunboats

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

edited October 2017
    I'm only planning on two. Maybe three. Because I have no idea how I'd manage to field four of them...

Well, four OS-1 setups. The cannon loadout's easy to fit 4 generics in (Title, Flechette, Batteries, LWF/ASLAM).

It occurs to me I don't have enough flechette cannons.

Polaritie on
    I don't care how impracticable it is, I am flying lists of nothing but gunboats for a while.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I don't know I like Tie swarms and playing guessing games with the Phantom and the good old Mexican Standoff with the tie bomber/punisher

• ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2017
    Shorty wrote: »
    starwing preview

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/10/20/indiscriminate-devastation/

looks pretty neat

the torp/missile loadout looks pretty spooky

Dial:
    swx69_maneuver_dial.png

Pilots:
    swx69-nu-squadron-pilot.pnglatest?cb=20171020210157swx69-lieutenant-karsabi.pngswx69-major-vynder.png

Titles:
    swx69-os-1-arsenal-loadout.pngswx69-xg-1-assault-configuration.png
    Weapons disabled? What's that?

Other:
    swx69-linked-battery.pngswx69-jamming-beam.pngswx69-saturation-salvo.png
    swx69-reload-action-and-jam-tokens.png

ALSO: Advanced SLAM Nerf is real, no more dropping bombs with it:
    swx69-advanced-slam.png

ElderCat on
    DO3O00C.png
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Oh wow. That nerf. That's probably a good thing though...

Now maybe they'll release the actual FAQ. There's styff that needs rulings from the Scurgg pack.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Boo! There should be a Maarek Stele pilot card for the Starwing. I mean, he was the player character in the game that made it up in the first place.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Boo! There should be a Maarek Stele pilot card for the Starwing. I mean, he was the player character in the game that made it up in the first place.

Plus, a torpedo slot would let him slap on Proton Torps for his ability.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    is...is it just me or does jamming beam seem...bad?

I guess maybe on a tie/d defender?

but also I'd probably rather have a tractor beam most of the time

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Is there a copyright on "Assault Gunboat" or something? When/where did the Star Wing name come about?

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Is there a copyright on "Assault Gunboat" or something? When/where did the Star Wing name come about?

I would guess that you can't really copyright "Gunboat" and expect it to hold up reliably, regardless of what kind of descriptor you put in front of it.
    Kind of like 40k trying to copyright Space Marine. You can't really do that since marines are already a thing, regardless of where you put them. So, this game got Starwings, and the other got Adeptus Astartes.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I would guess that you can't really copyright "Gunboat" and expect it to hold up reliably, regardless of what kind of descriptor you put in front of it.
    Kind of like 40k trying to copyright Space Marine. You can't really do that since marines are already a thing, regardless of where you put them. So, this game got Starwings, and the other got Adeptus Astartes.

Thank you for answering (and for wonderpug for asking) this since I thought I was losing it and went to surf the Internet and low and behold the Internet already wiped out any reference that this ship was known as the Assault Gunboat which made me question my memory. Which led me to not posting a question here and just nodded my head that the ship was always formally known as the Starwing and that Assault Gunboat was just a generic term for the ship. Sort of how the Tie Fighter was known as the TIE/LN officially, but generically called the TIE Fighter, or TIE.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Thank you for answering (and for wonderpug for asking) this since I thought I was losing it and went to surf the Internet and low and behold the Internet already wiped out any reference that this ship was known as the Assault Gunboat which made me question my memory. Which led me to not posting a question here and just nodded my head that the ship was always formally known as the Starwing and that Assault Gunboat was just a generic term for the ship. Sort of how the Tie Fighter was known as the TIE/LN officially, but generically called the TIE Fighter, or TIE.

Clearly, the best answer is to hit up GOG and buy TIE fighter (or maybe just reinstall it if you've already got it) so you can verify that it was originally called the XG-1 Assault Gunboat.

Clearly, the best answer is to hit up GOG and buy TIE fighter (or maybe just reinstall it if you've already got it) so you can verify that it was originally called the XG-1 Assault Gunboat.

Good point! I do own it on both GoG and Steam so should boot it up (as well as have the original discs somewhere). Or I'll buy this miniature and label them all as Assault Gunboats just to add to the confusion.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I was so excited to get X-Wing Alliance on Steam, quickly followed by the realization that I don't have a joystick. Life can be cruel.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular

Hey so this was driving me mad, and was going to do this, but I figured I'd skip a step and just check the manuals from GOG, since they provide the scans. Low-and-behold, the reference sheet for TIE FIGHTER '98 call is an XG-1: Star Wing (Assault/Gunboat).

They don't ever call it a star wing in game, I don't think, but it's in the paperwork.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »

Hey so this was driving me mad, and was going to do this, but I figured I'd skip a step and just check the manuals from GOG, since they provide the scans. Low-and-behold, the reference sheet for TIE FIGHTER '98 call is an XG-1: Star Wing (Assault/Gunboat).

They don't ever call it a star wing in game, I don't think, but it's in the paperwork.

Some versions of the game had a room with a holotank where you could view the specs for ships and rotate the model around, I believe it had the full Starwing name there as well.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Elbasunu wrote: »

Well I'll be.. it is right there on the cover of the manual as well. So the Assault Gunboat is just the generic term for it. Mystery solved!

oosik_betsuni.png
    I still wish the model had some red on it, but maybe I'll add some to mine

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I'm alive but super distracted by life. Do we need a new thread? Anyone want to take the reins?

edited October 2017
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    I'm alive but super distracted by life. Do we need a new thread? Anyone want to take the reins?

Well shoot, I can copy and paste with the best of them!

New thread here.

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png