As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hand Held Lounge??

Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuyIn a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
Just noticed it under features. In the other PAX, it was a place to play DS/3DS/PSP games while sitting on bean bags. But with unplugged being what it is, what would be there??

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Many tabletop-style games are now in the handheld space! the iPad, in particular, has a lot of traditionally tabletop games available, and my guess is that there will be content at Unplugged regarding these sorts of games.

• Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    Cool!! Forgot people can play cards game like hearthstone on a tablet.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Does PAX usually provide wifi or do they rely on the convention hall wifi?

From my limited visits to the convention hall, I was not impressed with the wifi coverage or ability to access it (I forget if it was a pay gate or not).

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I believe the shows rely on the convention center wifi unless some company were to sponsor something additional.

• GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    You are correct that the vision for PAX Unplugged Handheld is just like Handheld at all other PAXes, just with a focus on ports of tabletop games, as well as some digital card games such as Hearthstone. Unfortunately this may not actually happen at the first year of Unplugged, despite the listing on the website. Given the discussion here, figured I should post, as I don't want to see anyone buy a badge hoping for a Hearthstone tourney or the like.

• TamwulfTamwulf Registered User regular
    Yeah, it doesn't seem right? Proper? Appropriate? For a Hand Held lounge at PAX Unplugged. I've been to a lot of PAX's, and the thing that always strikes me is how a huge crowd of people will all be laying around in the 'Lounge, staring at screens, and the silence! How quiet it is! No one talking to each other. No one interacting beyond a "Is that spot taken?" Kinda defeats the purpose of what Unplugged is all about.

Witty Comments Require No Explanation,
    Sarcasm Allows None.
  • Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    Tamwulf wrote: »
    Yeah, it doesn't seem right? Proper? Appropriate? For a Hand Held lounge at PAX Unplugged. I've been to a lot of PAX's, and the thing that always strikes me is how a huge crowd of people will all be laying around in the 'Lounge, staring at screens, and the silence! How quiet it is! No one talking to each other. No one interacting beyond a "Is that spot taken?" Kinda defeats the purpose of what Unplugged is all about.

I guess you've never gone to the HHL when the PAX Pokemon League has their meet ups. Yah, the lounge us usualy quiet but when the Pokemon battles start happening, it becomes a real party.

@Gundabad sad to hear that. But I guess its to be expected seeing how small unplugged will be on its first year.

• GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    In interest of testing out this convention center's public wifi for handheld game play, I set up a Hearthstone Fireside Gathering from 2-6PM on Sunday. If there are people interested in playing a small round-robin tournament, I can set a meetup point.

If you are at the con and want to try connecting to game servers for any of the popular board game apps or digital card games, give it a try on the convention center wifi throughout the weekend and throw some feedback here. It will help shape plans for future Handheld area at Unplugged.

Would it be possible to hold a gathering on Saturday as well?? So that the Sunday one becomes a Tavern and we could get the new Warlock hero??

Hmmm good call on it needing to be a Tavern in order to get the unlock. Blizzard only allows an account to hold one upcoming event at a time, so I can't set up an additional (earlier) one right now in time to meet the Tavern qualifications.

I'll look into cancelling and either rescheduling with an earlier event first, or finding someone else who already has qualified as Tavern host to handle the reschedule.

Was able to change to Friday night. If it works, I can set up a second one on Sunday as a Tavern. If I get the opportunity to have players assembled prior to this, I'll change it up and host an early one in order to qualify as Tavern for Friday.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Gundabad wrote: »
    Was able to change to Friday night. If it works, I can set up a second one on Sunday as a Tavern. If I get the opportunity to have players assembled prior to this, I'll change it up and host an early one in order to qualify as Tavern for Friday.

What time Friday night?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    As of now I have it set for 8PM to 11:30PM.

SUPER SWEET!! You got a location marked out?? My friend and I are super stoked you planned this. Thanks a million!!

I have a few ideas but don't want to throw more information out while it's subject to change. My understanding is that the convention center's complimentary wifi only covers the hallway areas, but I want to scout things out a bit once I get onsite. I'll post a meetup spot here on the night of Wednesday the 15th.

Looks like convention center wifi is more focused on the hallways, rather than the big expo hall spaces, so let's set the location for this as the hallway wall right outside of Classic Cardboard. Meet up there, and can relocate for the actual playing of Hearthstone if necessary.

Also, unlikely I'll be able to get folks together prior to Friday, so that will be the first Fireside Gathering hosted on this account. It's TBD whether Blizzard will allow another one to be scheduled on 24hrs notice, once the Friday one is complete. But we'll aim for Sunday at 2PM in same location, unless otherwise noted here.

Nice!! I'll be bringing a friend so all we really need is one more person and 3 games and we should be good. Here's hoping that it all works out!! what time for the Friday one??

8PM

Thanks to everyone who came out! Everything work well, and we had our gathering. Unfortunately, all dates within 7 days are greyed out on the Fireside Gathering selection calendar, so we won't be able to get another session in this weekend. But I'm encouraged by our test, and hope this leads to bigger and better things.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    So sad I only saw this right now. Even sadder that Sunday won’t be a thing.

Definitely keep this as a thing next year. I’d be down for it.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    edited November 2017
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Oh well... we tried. At least now the next time you make a gathering, it will be a tavern. Heres hoping for next year!!

Kirby4Life on