As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Twilight Imperium: 4th edition - Game #1: And they're off!

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Two tactics, one strategy

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    2 Tactics.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    L1z1x also starts with Neural Motivator, so I should be drawing two Action Cards, not just one.

Allocate 1 token to Tactic pool and 1 token to Strategy pool. (TP 1 --> 2, SP 0 --> 1)

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    1 token to tactics, 1 to strategy.

• PredaPreda Registered User regular
    1 strategy, 1 tactic

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Can't get my computer until tonight for an official update, but the only thing that's changed since the last are those one Jol-Nar / Arborec moves and all planets refreshed with tokens removed from the board.

Everyone can start picking their strategy cards now if they want.

Cards Trade & Imperial both have 1 trade good on them (note to TI3 vets: unpicked cards simply get a trade good now instead of the old bonus counter)
    F9TgzcL.png
    2PQjpdt.png

MrBlarney **Speaker**
    Elvenshae
    Mojo
    Hedgethorn
    Brody
    Preda

MrBody on
    edited September 2017
    I play "Summit" from my hand of action cards to allocate one command token to each of Tactic pool and Strategy pool: (AC 4 --> 3; TP 2 --> 3, SP 1 --> 2 assuming no "Sabotage")
    At the start of the strategy phase: Gain 2 command tokens.

Pausing for "Sabotage" calls, since I might change my Strategy Card choice based on outcome. (@Elvenshae, @Mojo_Jojo, @Hedgethorn, @Brody, @Preda)

Also, Elvenshae, are we gonna need to discuss who gets to control Saudor? I can understand that you'd like the world since you're a little bit boxed in by empty space on both sides of your starting area. But I'd hope that you'd rather not get involved in conflict this early on in the game, and you've got a lot of expansion possibilities via your wormhole abilities. Each of us having a solid backing on one of our sides will make the rest of the game much easier.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    ... Can we actually talk about that? I thought we had to be neighbors to negotiate anything.

Nothing can stop table discussion between any players at any time. It's just if we need to make an exchange of commodities, trade goods, or promissory notes (a "transaction") that we need to be neighbors. (See Sec. 27 and 83 in the Rules Reference) And I suspect that will be pretty soon; I'd like to figure out the nicest way to settle such a thing.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    No sabotaging here

Mojo_Jojo on
    ... Well, shit. :D@MrBlarney

While, obviously, I'd love to have access to Saudor, I'd say that pointing the big, scary fleet of doom that way is also a valid strategic goal. I am, however, slightly light on production capabilities - your three planets produce as much as my five (before adding Saudor and, presumably, Dal Bootha to your empire, as well), so anything you can do to help with that issue going forward would be greatly appreciated.

I'd be happy to give you at least two full turns worth of my commodities in exchange for being able to take Saudor on amicable terms. Since my commodities limit is 2, that's like you're getting its economic value, but I'm getting its positional value for a couple turns. It also frees up more of your commodities for deal-making, which will be important for when you use the wormholes to make neighbors with more players. Since we can't perform a transaction now to seal the deal, nothing can be bound... but does this seem like a good trade to you?

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Yup, nothing at all preventing verbal negotiations. The only restriction is on the exchange of tangible components.

Would be a pretty boring game if no one was allowed to talk.

I figured it was a simulation of the early game in 4Xs where you don't really know who or where your neighbors are, and the way the rulebook described "nonbinding deals" made it look like any sort of negotiation required being a neighbor.

@MrBlarney

That seems eminently fair. Let us vaguely wave psuedopodia in each other's direction, as is the custom of my people.

No Sabotage

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

And now we sit back and see how many turns before one betrays the other. Once somebody lands on Metacol Rex we can use the easier trade to start betting on such things

I'm guessing Blarney shoots first.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Nothing can stop table discussion between any players at any time. It's just if we need to make an exchange of commodities, trade goods, or promissory notes (a "transaction") that we need to be neighbors. (See Sec. 27 and 83 in the Rules Reference) And I suspect that will be pretty soon; I'd like to figure out the nicest way to settle such a thing.

Or it needs to be the Agenda phase.

edited September 2017
    Round 2 - Strategy Phase

Map
    8CyPeS1m.png
    full map
    8CyPeS1.png
    (unit visual reference)
    (max component restrictions per player: 8 destroyers, 8 cruisers, 4 carriers, 5 dreadnoughts, 2 war suns, 5 PDS, 3 space docks)

Objectives
    I - Lead from the Front - Spend a total of 3 tokens from your strategy and/or tactics pool. 1 VP
    I - Diversify Research - Own 2 technologies in each of 2 colors. 1 VP
    I- Develop Weaponry - Own 2 unit upgrade technologies. 1 VP
    I- ???
    I- ???
    II- ???
    II- ???
    II- ???
    II- ???
    II - ???

Victory Track
    MrBlarney - 0
    Elvenshae - 0
    Mojo - 0
    Hedgethorn - 0
    Brody - 0
    Preda - 0

Technologies
    Ciz5AvY.png

Promissory notes (any player may give these to another. "Black player" is just the example; insert your own color)
    Race specific promissory notes (only the stated race may give these)

Player mats

MrBlarney **Speaker**
    2Dw2IBZ.png

Elvenshae
    s7oexAh.png

Mojo
    mCBFqaR.png

Hedgethorn
    wPmacqE.png

Brody
    lp3BhgZ.png

Preda
    2Cgji3t.png

MrBody on
    edited September 2017
    Time to pick strategy cards. (feel free to PM preference order if you know what you want ahead of time)

Cards (Trade & Imperial have 1 bonus trade good on them)
    F9TgzcL.png
    2PQjpdt.png
    (note to TI3 veterans: unpicked strategy cards simply get a trade good on them every round instead of the bonus markers you could turn into a trade good or command token)

MrBody on
    Well, having not heard from all the players regarding sabotage of my action card play but in the interest of keeping things rolling, I'll select (7) Technology. @Elvenshae has the next selection.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Well, having not heard from all the players regarding sabotage of my action card play but in the interest of keeping things rolling, I'll select (7) Technology. @Elvenshae has the next selection.

Approved. We'll put a one day time limit on sabotage responses.

Makes sense or we'll spend most of the game waiting to confirm that nobody is sabotaging

Trade

@Mojo_Jojo is up.

Leadership
    @Hedgethorn

edited September 2017
    +1 trade good to Elvenshae

MrBody on
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    @MrBody Per my racial special power, I should have put one infantry out during the status phase. May I do that now?
    (If so, one infantry on Corneeo, please
    .)

Hedgethorn on
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I'll take Construction, I guess?

Hedgethorn wrote: »
    @MrBody Per my racial special power, I should have put one infantry out during the status phase. May I do that now?
    (If so, one infantry on Corneeo, please
    .)

Yup! one infantry to Corneeo

Added max unit restrictions to the OP, under the current map.

Politics

@Preda

• PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Let's be daring and give everyone a chance to trade. Go IMPERIAL!

@MrBody to set the action phase.

+1 trade good to Winnu

edited September 2017
    Round 2 - Action Phase

Map
    8CyPeS1m.png
    full map
    8CyPeS1.png
    (unit visual reference)
    (max component restrictions per player: 8 destroyers, 8 cruisers, 4 carriers, 5 dreadnoughts, 2 war suns, 5 PDS, 3 space docks)

Objectives
    I - Lead from the Front - Spend a total of 3 tokens from your strategy and/or tactics pool. 1 VP
    I - Diversify Research - Own 2 technologies in each of 2 colors. 1 VP
    I- Develop Weaponry - Own 2 unit upgrade technologies. 1 VP
    I- ???
    I- ???
    II- ???
    II- ???
    II- ???
    II- ???
    II - ???

Victory Track
    MrBlarney - 0
    Elvenshae - 0
    Mojo - 0
    Hedgethorn - 0
    Brody - 0
    Preda - 0

Technologies
    Ciz5AvY.png

Promissory notes (any player may give these to another. "Black player" is just the example; insert your own color)
    Race specific promissory notes (only the stated race may give these)

Player mats

MrBlarney (+1 SP +1 TP) **Speaker**
    3 action cards
    2Dw2IBZ.png

Elvenshae
    1 action card
    s7oexAh.png

Mojo
    2 action cards
    mCBFqaR.png

Hedgethorn +1 infantry on Corneo
    2 action cards
    wPmacqE.png

Brody
    3 action cards
    lp3BhgZ.png

Preda +1 trade good
    3 action cards
    2Cgji3t.png

+1 trade good on Diplomacy and Warfare

Mojo - Leadership 1
    Brody - Politics 3
    Hedgethorn - Construction 4
    Elvenshae - Trade 5
    MrBlarney - Technology 7
    Preda - Imperial 8

@Mojo_Jojo

MrBody on
    Activate Wellon.
    Move one carrier from the Abyz/Fria system with two ground forces and a fighter
    Land the ground forces on the planet

@Brody