As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Camp Comic] Saturday, September 9, 2017 - Like At First Sight

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2017 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Saturday, September 9, 2017 - Like At First Sight

Like At First Sight

Like At First Sight

http://campcomic.com/comic/463

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Dark JaguarDark Jaguar Registered User regular
    For most of these characters their past makes me empathize with them. For this kid, it just seems to make him creepier, like he was just always bound to end up kidnapping someone. There just doesn't appear to be any way this could have been avoided.

• Options
    PirateTruckPirateTruck Registered User regular
    Did... Neiman follow Malachi to camp on purpose?

• Options
    tabletable Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Something. Now there's a word I never would have thought would refer to good ol' Mal. And how Neiman just ...accepted that what he's doing will have consequences. Amazingly set up, can't wait to find out what's up.

So the things he liked seem to be a bike lock (magically undone?); a kitty keychain bag? http://campcomic.com/comic/377; and a ladle (I'm reminded of Fred). Is it time for a treasure hunt?

table on
  • Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    table wrote: »
    Something. Now there's a word I never would have thought would refer to good ol' Mal. And how Neiman just ...accepted that what he's doing will have consequences. Amazingly set up, can't wait to find out what's up.

So the things he liked seem to be a bike lock (magically undone?); a kitty keychain bag? http://campcomic.com/comic/377; and a ladle (I'm reminded of Fred). Is it time for a treasure hunt?

Bike lock= ?
    Keychain backpack=Brian's school
    Ladle=Fred's school (check out their outfits http://campcomic.com/comic/delivery )
    Previous comic had the Doctor Duck and Dani lunchboxes, so Kennedy's and/or Marta's school

The only I can't place is the bike lock. Good catch!

• Options
    kram1032kram1032 Registered User regular
    Wow. So wait. If each of these items belonged to a certain now camp resident or their families, does that imply that all of them lived kinda close to each other? Or does he just travel a lot in his treasure hunts?
    And if they lived close to each other, why did almost none of them know each other pre-camp? Maybe even straight up none?

• Options
    AshenAshen Registered User new member
    Is the entire camp inside Neiman's head? Like some sort of mental collection of objects and people?

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    He said that "I had to go to a lot of different places." I'm thinking that means that he kept getting expelled from schools forcing his parents to find another one. That would explain how he possibly crossed paths with a number of different campers.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    BigjagCKBigjagCK Registered User new member
    Did anybody else get that kind of angels above/revelation "aaaahhh" sound in their head during the last panel?

• Options
    poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    Its a collection of different places he ' liked ' things. Though Malachi looks good in school uniforms.

• Options
    JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    The plot thickens.

• Options
    I'm still wracking my brain trying to think of any connection to current campers the bike lock might have, but I did notice the shirt looks like the shirt Steven Universe wears. I just thought that was cool.

• Options
    SharebearSharebear Registered User new member
    Better dye your hair Malachi

• Options
    chuggardchuggard Registered User new member
    This is oddly disturbing. Any sympathy for Neiman just kinda whooshed away reading this comic.

• Options
    clegoguyclegoguy Registered User new member
    Dun.. Dun.. Dunn.. Interesting plot twist!

• Options
    dwtdwt Registered User regular
    Did... Neiman follow Malachi to camp on purpose?

My guess is no, because Neiman says "My parents gave me one last chance to stop liking things"; I imply this to mean after he failed for the last time he was consigned to the Camp.

• Options
    Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Wait!

Neiman knew Malachi before?!?!?!

What does this mmmeeeaaaaannnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!????????!!!!!!!!??????

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I wonder if he was Malachi's brother. I mean the parents sent one kid away, its not that much of a stretch that they did it twice.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Laika ClementineLaika Clementine Registered User regular
    Can you say "Forgotten First Meeting?"

I have a feeling that a) the cup is Malachi's or b) Neiman happened to be in the closet liking things and Malachi stepped into the closet to hide because he was having a bad day/upset (as you can see his angry tears).

• Options
    unknown entityunknown entity Registered User new member
    edited September 2017
    Last chance school(s) before being sent to the camp? It would explain this and any other crossing of paths the campers may have had before meeting in the camp.

unknown entity on
  • Options
    AztecaAzteca Registered User new member
    I saw it as him going from foster home to foster home at first but now I see he is wearing the same school uniform as Malachi. Well, there goes my theory I just signed up to share! The rooms look like supply closets at schools rather than just your average home closet to me. The pink backpack again implies a school setting. The first room might be at home in the garage though, as it makes the most sense for a bike lock.
    It would be intense if the school was really just a front for funneling kids to the camp. Maybe it's only for the "lost causes" though.

• Options
    MIJackelMIJackel Registered User regular
    I have to wonder if this is Malachi after his music teacher told him he had no talent in the Burn comic?

• Options
    Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    Oh, dear. Now we get sticky.

• Options
    PharylonPharylon Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    This is oddly disturbing. Any sympathy for Neiman just kinda whooshed away reading this comic.

Really? I really feel for him. He clearly has some kind of disorder that's not being treated. He needs medicine and counseling, but his parents are just like "Stop being like that."

Pharylon on
  • Options
    iczer6iczer6 Registered User regular
    This makes me feel bad for him. I don't know if he had a disorder, or was simply intensely liking things the way kids do. [See dinosaurs and
    pokemon]. And fell victim to this world's belief that it's okay to abandon kids.

• Options
    I think it goes beyond normal childhood obsessions since he's stealing them and staring at them in closets and at the expense of everything else.
    I still feel bad for him. He just needs therapy and some help.
    Not abandoned.
    Though, given his obsession with Malachi's hair, if not Malachi himself, maybe he follows him.
    I'm not sure it fits with Malachi being the newest arrival. So for Neiman at least, ending up in the same place was good luck.

• Options
    dwtdwt Registered User regular
  • Options
    Jr. Mithrandir Jr. Mithrandir Registered User regular
    He's so self-aware, and yet so helpless to change.

• Options
    Just me but I think the teacher in the first panel of this comic might be the teacher from this comic, http://campcomic.com/comic/368 . Thus connecting Neiman to Brian.

• Options
    tabletable Registered User regular
    What's really sad is that Neiman's family probably had enough resources to get him the help he needs, since, based on what we've seen from Mal's backstory, his private school was probably not cheap. Maybe Neiman's family didn't really know what he needed. Though it seems that for Neiman, all he needs are the things (and people?) he likes. Come to think of it, in a different context the monologue in this strip could be a much sweeter story. (Neiman's backstory has a lot of parallels to Brian's backstory, actually. Except Brian was fully aware that he can hurt people and does his best to control himself.)

The state of middle panel school though.

But on a lighter note, possible owner of the kitty keychain bag? http://campcomic.com/comic/372 in panels 2 and 3. We only see the strap side of it though.

@MIJackel Their silhouettes are comparable! Though the middle panel is also linked to Brian through the kitty bag. Also, could Colin's dad be the buff gym(?) teacher in the middle panel? Colin's shirt and Neiman's seem to be of the same color and style. I'm beginning to feel like this comic is one of those evidence boards with the strings linking all the characters.

• Options
    Also THIS has sooo much more meaning now. http://campcomic.com/comic/342

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    MIJackel wrote: »
    Also THIS has sooo much more meaning now. http://campcomic.com/comic/342

I don't know, it seems pretty antcillary to his origins.

• Options
    Great UlcerGreat Ulcer Registered User regular
    They attended the same school! Now that is VERY interesting.