As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Maybe Techpriest/Enginseer could make the jump, they're kind of pointless in elite anyway given there's only one vehicle in the AdMech list as it is.
    Cheap HQ with access to relics would make them worth taking and a fun model to convert.

[edit] Techpriests did move to HQ according to GW facebook

Tastyfish on
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Gracia Ad Mech rules up. on phone- the trait spares a dying or fleeing model every time you roll a 6ed- but they can never fallback. They can shoot into combat while engaged as long as they're within 6" of the Warlord

No-Quarter on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    That warlord trait is brutal. Chapter trait... eh. They somehow made 6+ fnp even more mediocre?
    I guess it will make an impact over the long course of the game, but its not very flashy.

website_header.jpg
    I edited, they can never fallback with their trait.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Actually looks interesting to me. The inability to fall back sucks but isn't the most horrifying thing. Its 6+ super FNP since FNP does not work against morale losses as there are no wounds taken. In fact how I read it you only have to make a single save even if you take additional wounds over your total but that might be wrong.

The shooting into combat thing is really vicious too.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Is the old Planetary Empires kit a 'thing' and I just haven't been in the loop on it? I found my copy, still shrink-wrapped, in a box as I was unpacking after a move and thought, 'eh, throw it on Ebay and see what happens. I'm never going to get around to running campaigns with it.'

'What happens' is with 5 days to go, it's already got 9 bids and is at $71. :rotate:

Meanwhile, realizing I have a full shelf rack of terrain, and plenty of scouts already, I threw up Shadow War as well. It's already to the original MSRP price, we'll see what interest it picks up as we get closer to the weekend.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Actually looks interesting to me. The inability to fall back sucks but isn't the most horrifying thing. Its 6+ super FNP since FNP does not work against morale losses as there are no wounds taken. In fact how I read it you only have to make a single save even if you take additional wounds over your total but that might be wrong.

It also works vs plasma overheats too.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

I wouldn't bet on it. Overheating is not a wound.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »

We are talking about the Graia Forge World trait, the one that specifically refers to ‘slain models’ rather than wounds inflicted. It very explicitly does trigger off plasma overheats, unless Mechanicus plasma stops "slaying" models for some reason.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    "He's not slain! He's lightly toasted!"
    "To death."

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    The power has returned to my part of Florida, and air conditioning was the first thing I turned on. Second was the airbrush to finally prime these damn tanks.

Badablack on
    FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular

You can fall back as long as a character is on the table, so hopefully most of the time it should not be an issue.

For all single wound models the 6+ save is better than fnp but the more wounds a model has the less use it gets during the game.

Shooting assault weapons like pistols in close combat seems mostly like a boost for Sicarians equipped with the assault 3 guns. Skitarii are probably too squishy in close combat to get much use from it.

edited September 2017
    honovere wrote: »

You can fall back as long as a character is on the table, so hopefully most of the time it should not be an issue.

For all single wound models the 6+ save is better than fnp but the more wounds a model has the less use it gets during the game.

Shooting assault weapons like pistols in close combat seems mostly like a boost for Sicarians equipped with the assault 3 guns. Skitarii are probably too squishy in close combat to get much use from it.

EDIT: nope, im totally wrong.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg

electropriests, the ones with the gauntlets would be very damaging and durable

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    They confirmed on Facebook that tech priests are being moved to HQ.

I was holding out for Alphas :(

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    So I made a Bartertown trade awhile back for some minis and it finally showed up after being delayed by natural disasters. It was a forgeworld Solar Auxilia squad, I didn't really need it but wanted to see how the models looked, and all the picture I got were kinda blurry. As it turns, they're super rad and the other guy did a nice paint job.

uLM7oNm.jpg

Now I really want to make an army using them. Not all solar auxilia, since that would be ridiculously expensive, but a small elite army. Are there any decent human armies in 8th, i.e. majority Toughness 3 Imperium, without running a big horde or lots of vehicles?

Badablack on
    FC: 1435-5383-0883
    Badablack wrote: »
    So I made a Bartertown trade awhile back for some minis and it finally showed up after being delayed by natural disasters. It was a forgeworld Solar Auxilia squad, I didn't really need it but wanted to see how the models looked, and all the picture I got were kinda blurry. As it turns, they're super rad and the other guy did a nice paint job.

uLM7oNm.jpg

Now I really want to make an army using them. Not all solar auxilia, since that would be ridiculously expensive, but a small elite army. Are there any decent human armies in 8th, i.e. majority Toughness 3 Imperium, without running a big horde or lots of vehicles?

Scions.

Lots of plasma.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »

We are talking about the Graia Forge World trait, the one that specifically refers to ‘slain models’ rather than wounds inflicted. It very explicitly does trigger off plasma overheats, unless Mechanicus plasma stops "slaying" models for some reason.

That's why I interjected, the trait does specifically refer to wounds.
    "...either the wound that slew it is ignored or the model does not flee." it says.
    Overheating does't do either of those things.

edited September 2017

uLM7oNm.jpg

Solar Auxilia are extremely nice models, especially the characters.
    They confirmed on Facebook that tech priests are being moved to HQ.

I was holding out for Alphas :(

If they give the Enginseer access to some other guns (which they won't) he'd be a pretty good count as Alpha Primus.

Maybe he get's a pistol that's more in line with the rest of the Mechanicus weapons. The las-pistol feels a little bit out of place. Having access to relics would be nice already, though.

edit:
    So the characteristics for the Forge Worlds so far are

Mars: pious and dogmatic
    Graia: tenacious
    Metalica: relentless

the other ones are probably Ryza, Agripinaa, Lucius, and Stygies VII. What are their defining traits so far in the background?

Ryza: loves Plasma and constantly fights Orks?
    Agripinaa: Almost destroyed and constantly fights Chaos?
    Lucius: very advanced tech and bellicose?
    Stygies: Very into xenos tech?

honovere on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

uLM7oNm.jpg

Scions.

Lots of plasma.

This, though I am partial to hot-shot volley guns. I doubt they're better than plasma but damn are they rad. Also scions can have up to 2 special weapons per 5 dudes so a squad of 10 can have 4!

I'd wager they're going to get fleshed out even more in the upcoming codex with their own orders and such. At least I hope so. They had their own codex in 7th and it's still pretty clear that GW wants them to continue to be fielded on their own.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Plasma might also get more expensive and there might be regimental traits and stuff that benefit weapons beside plasma guns.

Codex is out this year, right?

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Before November. IG is after nids.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Warhammer Community has an article with Steve Bickham's Death Guard up and I hadn't seen a good picture of the new Terminators before:

ArmyShowcaseSep13-DG-Image13ov.jpg

I love the Flyminator in the back!

edited September 2017
    Metalica is up

https://warhammer-community.com/2017/09/13/forge-world-focus-metalica-sep13gw-homepage-post-4/

no penalty for advancing and shooting assault weapons and rapid fire turns into assault when advancing. That's the Black Legion trait, isn't it?.

Warlord trait is nice, adamintine arm would be, too, if you could make more than one attack with it. The stratagem seems good, but sadly only for Skitarii units. Would be fantastic on Kataphrons or robots.

Lucius is tomorrow and is described as indomitable armoursmiths. So some kind of rerolls for armour would be my guess. Is there already an existing trait/tactic that could fit?

honovere on
    Metalica seems like a no brainier for Skitarii heavy armies. Advance and shoot makes up a bit for their gross lack of transports (and the fact that they lost crusader/relentless from 7th), and their warlord traits makes them like ultramarines (but things like dunecrawlers and ironstriders can also do it)
    Also, Enginseers WILL be moving to HQ! Hurray!
    image.png

Not that enginseers are that great, but hey... a cheap fixit man is okay. Maybe he'll get a little support bubble too.

website_header.jpg
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I'm finally reading the 8th edition rules, so these things may have been covered, but...

1) How can I specify whether I'm taking a full battalion detachment or a minimum brigade detachment? Or rather, make sure I know the difference is between them if my opponent uses them? There's a difference of +6 CP there.

2) What does it mean when it says for dedicated transports that it "may include 1 for each other choice?" Does that mean every other choice but the transport, or every second unit in the force may take one?

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I'm finally reading the 8th edition rules, so these things may have been covered, but...

1) How can I specify whether I'm taking a full battalion detachment or a minimum brigade detachment? Or rather, make sure I know the difference is between them if my opponent uses them? There's a difference of +6 CP there.

2) What does it mean when it says for dedicated transports that it "may include 1 for each other choice?" Does that mean every other choice but the transport, or every second unit in the force may take one?
    1. You declare which one you're taking. If you can meet the minimum for a Brigade, you obviously should do - you don't get any bonuses for maxing out a detachment's slot choices.
    2. It means for every other choice that you take. Take two HQs and three troops? You can take five transports.

So let's take stock of my Deathguard.

I now have the DG models from all 3 starter sets (Dark Imperium, Know No Fear, and First Strike) so along with what I have already that's:

17 Plague Marines (including 2 random metal ones I found)

33 PoxWalkers (+ some zombies a friend gave me)

2 Blight Drones

2 Lords of Contagion, 1 Noxious Blightbringer, 1 Blightcaster, and old Typhus who is sadly teensy compared to the new models

A Nurgli-fied Landraider

A Forgeworld Plaguehulk a friendo is getting me for my birthday.

Burnage wrote: »

1. You declare which one you're taking. If you can meet the minimum for a Brigade, you obviously should do - you don't get any bonuses for maxing out a detachment's slot choices.
    2. It means for every other choice that you take. Take two HQs and three troops? You can take five transports.

Your tanks let you take dedicated transports. :biggrin: Of course they're much more expensive now than they were last edition.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    With a full SM company, I'll meet the min for a brigade. If I finagle my heavies and assault squads a bit. Maybe just count the extra slot as company auxilaries.

So 6 squads of tactical, 2 dev squads and some centurions, and 2 assault squads and a bike squad.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »

I now have the DG models from all 3 starter sets (Dark Imperium, Know No Fear, and First Strike) so along with what I have already that's:

2 Blight Drones

2 Lords of Contagion, 1 Noxious Blightbringer, 1 Blightcaster, and old Typhus who is sadly teensy compared to the new models

A Nurgli-fied Landraider

Truly, you have been blessed by Grandfather Nurgle.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    No-Quarter wrote: »

2 Blight Drones

A Nurgli-fied Landraider

Truly, you have been blessed by Grandfather Nurgle.

I'm actually fighting strep throat, too, currently soooooo

With a full SM company, I'll meet the min for a brigade. If I finagle my heavies and assault squads a bit. Maybe just count the extra slot as company auxilaries.

So 6 squads of tactical, 2 dev squads and some centurions, and 2 assault squads and a bike squad.

Look at scouts for some troop choices and scout bikes are really nice for horde clearing.

Troops are where you shave some points for the fun stuff.

Also SM have a ton of nice elites that are cheap single units like Apothecaries and the Ancients.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    I probably have a good year of building minis ahead of me, but I wanted to check something about battle-forged armies:

Ex: I have an Alpha Legion Battalion Detachment, a Death Guard Patrol Detachment, and a Renegade Knight Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment. This would count as a battle-forged Chaos army, right?
    And from a non-rules point of view: Is that fluffy? Outside of the Horus Heresy battles, I don't know too much about legions working together.

I'm strongly considering having any Chaos units in my army with signs of warp corruption painted as non-Alpha Legion CSM. Of course, I think this means I might need loyalist transports and vehicles for them, too.

For the record, here's everything I'm working with (assuming they ever come off the sprues):
    20 MKIV Space Marines (sacrificed for color schemes)
    100 MKIV Space Marines
    20 Cataphractii Terminators
    5 Tartaros Terminators
    4 Captains in Terminator Armour
    4 Dark Apostles (or Chaplains?)
    4 Contemptor Dreadnoughts

30 MKIII Space Marines
    1 Geigor Fell-Hand
    1 Ahriman
    5 Legio Custodes
    5 Sisters of Silence

1 CSM Land Raider
    5 Warp Talons
    5 CSM Terminators
    5 Cultists

1 Primaris SM Captain
    2 Primaris SM Lts
    1 Primaris SM Ancient
    10 Primaris SM Intercessors
    3 Primaris SM Inceptors
    5 Primaris SM Hellblasters
    1 DG Lord of Contagion in Terminator Armour
    1 DG Noxious Blightbringer
    1 DG Malignant Plaguecaster
    7 DG Plague Marines
    1 DG Foetid Bloat-drone
    20 DG Poxwalkers

1 SM Terminator Captain
    1 SM Venerable Dreadnought
    10 SMs (Tactical)

1 BA Terminator Captain
    1 BA Baal Predator
    10 BAs (Tactical)

1 CSM Terminator Lord
    10 CSMs
    1 Chaos Hellbrute

1 Aspiring Champion
    20 Chaos Cultists

1 CSM Sorcerer in Terminator Armour
    5 CSM Terminators

1 CSM Warpsmith (maybe convert to Hellwright?)

1 CSM Dark Apostle

1 Deredeo Dreadnought

1 Leviathan Pattern Siege Dreadnought

15 SM Devastators

1 Chaos Rhino

1 Chaos Predator

1 SM Drop Pod

1 Fire Raptor

1 Imperial Knight Warden

1 Imperial Bastion (used for Chaos Bastion?)

1 Bloodthirster (intended for AoS, mostly for painting)

I've been tempted to do a 30K army and a 40K army, but I feel like I'd rather have Alpha Legion using mostly 30K pieces and their paint scheme from back then, allied with something more recent. Death Guard seems logical since I have the pieces, but I'd have to do a lot of kitbashing to use the CSM terminators. Alternatively, maybe I could have some of the generic, warped Chaos units as something like Black Legion, and swap between them and DG as allies depending on the situation? Or is it a terrible idea to mix legions?

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I think there are written examples of much weirder alliances than any 2 chaos legions in the books.

also Alpha legion unexpectedly helping out other factions is basically their calling card afaik

Yeah that would be fluffy. The traitor legions due to work together and since Abaddon basically blew up the universe they are out and about even more. The traitor knights of course work with them as well.

The biggest no no tends to be mixing daemons fluff wise because they hate each other. But even then Slaanesh daemons will fuck with Khorne to kill something together and so on.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I love the Flyminator in the back!
    I think you mean waspinator

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Question: I've noticed with the new codexes, a lot of rules seem to be duplicated, which is kind of a bummer. It sort of feels like homogenization of armies. Or, does it not really matter in practice/on the tabletop because of how the unique units in each faction interact with these similar traits?

ForceVoid wrote: »
    Question: I've noticed with the new codexes, a lot of rules seem to be duplicated, which is kind of a bummer. It sort of feels like homogenization of armies. Or, does it not really matter in practice/on the tabletop because of how the unique units in each faction interact with these similar traits?

I think CSM and Codex marines are the best example and I can say my CSM due to differences in units play a lot different than a pure space marine or any Imperium army. I can't do something like a Robuty Parking Lot or Raven Guard shenanigans. Instead I have an amazing cheap screen that gets bonuses. I have the choppiest unit in the game that gets choppier. And I have really awesome daemon machines that get huge buffs.

The armies are playing pretty fluffy and different and I like that.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I forgot, I also picked up a Nurlge Demons starter, so you can add 10 Plaguebearers (11 if you count the Herald), 3 Plague Drones, and 3 Nurgling bases.

Rot and Ruin! Pox and Plague!

This discussion has been closed.