As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] THARGOIDS INVADE BUBBLE! December 3308 Update!

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Been doing some BGS work against a certain power in one of their control systems.

A FAS with a beefy hull and some biweaves, armed with some pacifiers and frag cannons makes for some hilariously short encounters against faction ships pulled out of supercruise. Point towards ship, boost, unload the 3 double shot screen shell frag cannons point blank right before ram.

More fun than my 3 efficient PA 2x HY cannon FDL build anyway, but ammo doesn't last as long :D

• Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    Lodbrok wrote: »
    Since we are talking about mining, I just have to add one thing. If you have a friend to wing up with who is willing to fly as prospector for you, or even better several friends to form a mining fleet, mining CAN be very profitable. Since all cmdrs have individual fragments from the roid, each additional ship mining effectively doubles the yield. This is especially effective if one of team is in a smaller maneuverable ship (preferably with a mining lance on the off chance it is available) doing the prospecting for good roids while the rest fly the heavy "mining barges". Some of the best times I've had in the game from a social perspective were out at Jaques doing fleet mining with uppwards of 10 ships all mining the same rock... so many fragments! I had some neat pics of this, but unfortunately I lost them when re-installing...

Everyone in the wing should get trade dividends as well, right?

I set up my Anaconda for Haz RES mining the other day as well. It's super fun (as someone that likes both mining and bounty hunting).

Yeah, everyone gets trade as well. Of course, may want to drop enough high-value stuff for the cmdr doing the prospecting to really make it worth their time if money is a factor.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I got 22 million on that CG and then immediately spent it on a rebuy after a Federal Dropship somehow blew me up in about ten seconds from full shields. Is the engineering bug back or something?

• Options
    I'm a little salty because the risk/reward ratio seems kind of off for this. If there's always a chance that a random dropship can ruin my shit without me having any ability to stop them (and stick me with a 10 hours of playtime worth of rebuy), bounty hunting kind of sucks.

• Options
    What were you flying tube? It seems very odd to me that a dropship of all things should be able to put out that kind of damage, did it ram you?

• Options
    I was flying an engineered Corvette, it was fucking nuts. It didn't make any physical contact. The only thing I can think of is torpedos, maybe?

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Sounds like reverb cascade torpedoes, yeah

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Was this in solo or open? I suppose if in open, all bets are of. Correct me if I am wrong, but there is a small chance for dangerous and elite NPCs to have engineered weapons as well, right? Theoretically there may be a very small chance that the dropship had reverb torps, but I've never seen torp using npcs...

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Tube wrote: »
    I got 22 million on that CG and then immediately spent it on a rebuy after a Federal Dropship somehow blew me up in about ten seconds from full shields. Is the engineering bug back or something?

Nope, probably reverb cascade mines/torps. They directly damage shield generators with a hit (even with shields up).

1) What kind of shield generator do you have? It can take up to 8 torps to down a top tier, shielded generator (as in Shielded mod from engineer). That's 4 medium hardpoints (and you can't synth torps).
    2) What mod (thermal resist mod greatly increases integrity of the generator)
    3) PD is useless against torps, but great against mines
    4) ECM works against torps, but only at range - and a corvette might need 2 to get away (torps are only fast right after being launched, I think they are like 200/250 m/s after that burst).

Most likely, he took out your shield gen with torps/mines and then sniped power plant. If you overcharge your plant, that reduces integrity, and makes it take less damage to explode.

Bigity on
  • Options
    Lodbrok wrote: »
    Was this in solo or open? I suppose if in open, all bets are of. Correct me if I am wrong, but there is a small chance for dangerous and elite NPCs to have engineered weapons as well, right? Theoretically there may be a very small chance that the dropship had reverb torps, but I've never seen torp using npcs...

I don't think they get engineered weapons anymore at all, just some modules. People lost their shit when NPCs had engineered weapons (even the non-bugged ones). Personally, I wanted one of those MCs firing railgun bullets deals myself.

• Options
    I'm a little salty because the risk/reward ratio seems kind of off for this. If there's always a chance that a random dropship can ruin my shit without me having any ability to stop them (and stick me with a 10 hours of playtime worth of rebuy), bounty hunting kind of sucks.

The problem is they give up the ability to do anything except blow up big ships, so I assume FDev counts that as balance. Despite the fact that no PvPer cruises around looking for fights in a general purpose ship, or heck, even a ship with a fuel scoop or A rated FSD.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Do torpedo tubes even have a high enough rate of fire to discharge enough torpedoes to drop a corvette in 10 seconds?

I would expect a corvette to be able to withstand fire from any npc for more than 10 seconds. Although somebody else a few pages back remarked about a rogue npc obliterating them in an eye blink, so maybe that bug could have resurfaced. I haven't personally observed a lone npc ship threatening my corvette that severely, but that doesn't disprove anything.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    This was in solo, against an NPC. I have no real way to figure out what the fuck happened, but it's a pretty tanky ship. I know that the power plant stayed up, it wasn't a snipe.

• Options
    5s reload. So yea, 8 in about 6s - all launched before first hit if at range and someone isn't paying attention.

NPCs don't use torps (at all), and certainly not engineered ones.

• Options
    This was in solo, against an NPC. I have no real way to figure out what the fuck happened, but it's a pretty tanky ship. I know that the power plant stayed up, it wasn't a snipe.

Yea NPCs just don't do that. I submit some kind of bug was involved. You didn't hit silent running by mistake did ya? I've done that a time or two.

• Options
    Nah, silent running isn't even bound. I've been playing long enough to know the most obvious stuff.

• Options
    ...and now the game has wiped my binds so... this was a pretty brief return to Elite.

• Options
    Yes, elite is bad about screwing up your binds if you start the game without sticks or controllers connected and your default keybind profile uses them. Burned me more than once and now I keep a backup. Sucks dude.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I recommend using Reference Sheet Generator to create a nice keybind reference sheet for future use.

It has helped me a couple of times to remap my keybinds.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    I think this is the new site: https://edrefcard.info/

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    ...and now the game has wiped my binds so... this was a pretty brief return to Elite.

This is why switching to a Xbox controller isn't an (easy) solution to making the rover less terrible. Yes, it works, but then I have to remap my HOTAS when I finish.

• Options
    I even had the controller plugged in! I did everything right!

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    So no matter how many times I see it, there is something magical about seeing a Beluga get jammed in a starport entranceway against other ships, firing its thrusters, trying to squeeze through, only to make matters worse.

Right up until the station decides to destroy it without a second thought. Then it's magical and macabre. They should include some dialog text for the comm channel when that happens.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    They should include some dialog text for the comm channel when that happens.

"...violation of Wilson Relay station code L413-A. You have 10 seconds to comply."
    "I'm trying! Don't shoot! Don't shoot!"
    "5... 4... 3..."
    "Shut it down!"
    "I can't!"
    "I am authorized to use physical force."
    "Shit shit shit!"
    "AAAAHHH-"
    (silence)
    "Shit."
    "Move along. There is nothing to see. Keep moving."

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    So no matter how many times I see it, there is something magical about seeing a Beluga get jammed in a starport entranceway against other ships, firing its thrusters, trying to squeeze through, only to make matters worse.

Right up until the station decides to destroy it without a second thought. Then it's magical and macabre. They should include some dialog text for the comm channel when that happens.

I've never really wanted a Beluga for anything other than being huge in the mailslot. I've had to wait for so many Belugas, that now I'm thinking of becoming the evil I cannot destroy.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    I have a Beluga but it's collecting dust and I should probably sell it. The Anaconda is a better passenger ship for everything except the ability to equip luxury compartments, which isn't that big of a deal when it feels like you find one luxury contract every 50 bulletin boards.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Yeah but come on

Style

• Options
    I just found out that the VKB Gladiator MK2 has a stick twist with a hall sensor!

I'm officially intrigued. I've been using the T16000m, which is a great stick, but the twist has never been lovely. It's a regular potentiometer and it doesn't return to dead center from a twist to the left.

Video for the VKB Gladiator MK2-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzSey3fHpNQ

Anyone have experience with VKB (good or bad) that they want to share? This stick is 100 bones, which, while not dog cheap is very affordable.

• Options
    I missed the livestream today (work), but the video is up!

Dem Goids, doe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKOvDNhY40I&t=2107s

Also, I bought that stick directly from VKB. I felt like taking a gamble. I'll let you fine peeps know what I think about it when I receive it.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    difference between the Gladiator and the Pro is full metal gimbal on the pro and plastic on the Mk2. Mk2 also has twist and the Pro does not have twist. I'm glad they are selling the Pro as just the base now because that is what I want + an MCG stick. Also nice to see they updated the store page with the upcoming throttles.

• Options
    Is there anything good in that livestream? I've been hurt before.

Also I'm in the new CG system ready to participate in a Civil War and peace has broken out

• Options
    Is there anything good in that livestream? I've been hurt before.

Also I'm in the new CG system ready to participate in a Civil War and peace has broken out

Damn peace ruining a honest man's income.

• Options
    I was looking at that civil war CG earlier, and what's the deal with displaying both side's progress? I've ignored community goals practically since their inception, but early on there was talk about hiding that progress to stop one side pulling ahead and then forever staying ahead because new participants keep piling onto the "winning" team for easy rewards.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I signed up for both sides and since it seems to all drop off st the same stations I'm honestly not sure how it'll work

• Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    They've put a fix in to restart the civil war but it's taking a few hours to propagate to all the servers apparently.

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Looking to get back into this once I'm done clearing out the spare room in my place for a dedicated vidya set up for my desk and VR.

Currently don't have room to set up my hotas, and I don't particularly want to mess around binding everything to a controller. But once I've got VR and hotas both set up, hnnnnngh

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    I have to get another combat rank to upgrade my scanners and utilities (wwwhhhyyyyyyyyyyyy) and it's taking forever.

• Options
    Where is the best place to grind combat ranks?

Is it compromised nav beacons or is there someplace more efficient. I also want to unlock that engineer to upgrade my Clipper and courier's wake scanners.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    There's currently a conflict situation in Ho Hsi where you could stand to make a lot of money blowing ships up.

I'm badly out of practice; I just got my Vulture exploded by a friggin' Cobra MkIII

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    There's currently a conflict situation in Ho Hsi where you could stand to make a lot of money blowing ships up.

I'm badly out of practice; I just got my Vulture exploded by a friggin' Cobra MkIII

https://youtu.be/jt1g00-OnKg