As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cisco IP phone customization help

CambiataCambiata Commander ShepardThe likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
edited September 2017 in Help / Advice Forum
I just started a cool job with a Cisco IP phone that has a rad LCD display. That phone appears to be this model:

(edit: corrected model URL)
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collaboration-endpoints/ip-phone-8841/index.html

What I really want to do is use my own customer wallpapers for this phone. I've gotten pretty far in figuring things out, but I'm still missing something or other. What I've done so far:

- Created 800X480 images in 24 colors
- created thumbnail images for those wallpapers
- downloaded list.xml from the tftp server
- Edited list.xml to include references to my new wallpapers

Here's the part where I'm stuck: I can't seem to figure out how to upload my files. I know the correct upload directory is Desktops/800x480x24/ because that's where I got the list.xml file from.

I've tried this syntax on cmd.exe:

tftp [tftp server address] put masseffect.png Desktops/800x480x24/

I also tried:

tftp [tftp server address] put masseffect.png /Desktops/800x480x24/

Neither worked. There is also a second tftp server address that I tried with both syntax types and neither worked.

Is this just a case where I don't have access to that directory and so can't upload? I could probably just ask IT to upload it for me, but I'd really love to be able to figure this out. I don't have access to Cisco call manager/utility and I don't have access to download it from our available software. Am I just outta luck here?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
Cambiata on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Did it spit you out an error message?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    I'd guess that you don't have write access to the directory via TFTP. On our PBX we won't permit it and you have to post via FTP or SSH.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    bowen wrote: »

Error on server: Illegal TFTP operation
    Connect request failed

I'm reading a doc on how to 'hack' my phone and it's saying I basically have to run a tftp server from my computer to do what I want to do. Which I don't mind except I don't have a static IP on my laptop.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

Connect request failed

I'm reading a doc on how to 'hack' my phone and it's saying I basically have to run a tftp server from my computer to do what I want to do. Which I don't mind except I don't have a static IP on my laptop.

My googling suggests that you'd need access to the TFTP server that serves those phones currently to do it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Connect request failed

My googling suggests that you'd need access to the TFTP server that serves those phones currently to do it.

And this error is suggesting I don't have write access?

• Options
    Ok so alternate problem: running the files on my own tftp, I can't seem to get my own thumbnails to show up on the wallpapers. This may be because I have wrong sized thumbnails, but all I can find in the docs is that thumbnails should be 25% smaller than the wallpapers. Seems like I ran up against some conflicting information about thumbs on one of the things I read on google but I don't know where that info is anymore. Can anyone find me documentation on what the proper thumbnail size is?

• Options

Connect request failed

And this error is suggesting I don't have write access?

Yeah sounds like a permission issue, TFTP is a pretty dumb protocol in general.

Try something like this, maybe it is having issue with assumed ASCII transfer:
    tftp -i [IPAddress] put masseffect.png /Desktops/800x480x24/masseffect.png

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Well, I've run into an alternate problem, I just wanted to see if I could get the wallpapers I made by running my own TFTP to the phone. I got everything set up correctly I thought, but basically none of my wallpapers are showing, except one of the defaults:

Here's the wallpaper screen while running the phone on my TFTP:

cWFCEiy.jpg

I believe this is the error it gives when trying to select one of the default wallpapers (just guessing since I can't see thumbnails)

VsfKN4k.jpg

While this seems to be the error it gives for my custom wallpapers:

kq1FfSm.jpg

Side note is that though the other wallpapers are .png format, I can't view them in any image program I have:

yhgGa0z.png

I will figure this out if it kills me.

Edit: I looked at the actual model of my phone and it's this one: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collaboration-endpoints/ip-phone-8841/index.html

Cambiata on
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    OK I think I messed up some lines in List.xml, I will edit those and see if that fixes it.

Does anyone know what program creates List.xml.sgn? Can I edit that file in a text editor?

Edit: from what I've been able to figure out, everything I'm trying to get working hinges on List.xml.sgn, and I don't seem to have a way to edit that file. :(

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Looks like the .sgn files are for the encrypted configuration part of the phone, maybe there's a way to disable it?

• Options
    Looks like the .sgn files are for the encrypted configuration part of the phone, maybe there's a way to disable it?

Security is not active on this phone.

• Options
    Alright so I ended up deleting all the TFTP files on my computer, putting in an IT ticket requesting they add my wallpapers to the defaults (a long shot), moving on to other things and then decided to come back to this and try again.

I think the presence of the .sgn files was a mistake on my part, so I used the same process I used the first time to get a list of what files the phone needs, downloaded them from the original tftp location, and as I suspected the first time around at least those files are not present.

Unfortunately, I still can't get the phone to load the images I created:

ZMBnJto.jpg

Not the loading circle in the upper right hand corner - it's continuing to spin without appearing to actually load anything.

It's clear from my tftp server that the phone is at least accessing the correct file:

SrnN0PO.png

I'm wondering if the XMLDefault file needs to be edited to make this work? I do see references to the old tftp IP address in here... I'll try editing it and give it another go.

• Options
    Nope, nothing I try works.