As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Roleplaying Games] Thank God I Finally Have A Table For Cannabis Potency.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    What is WFRP?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Yeah alright you guys sold me on it. Gonna pick up at least the starter tier just to mess around with.

And yes I was thinking of the four chaos gods. They're the only ones I ever hear about so I thought that was all of them.

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I actually really like the magic system in warhammer 2e, and I can't believe none of my players ever make wizards or clerics.

sig.gif
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    It's not the newer one with the proto-genesys dice system, right?

I think I played this one a bit waaaaaay back when I was first branching out from D&D.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    It's not the newer one with the proto-genesys dice system, right?

I think I played this one a bit waaaaaay back when I was first branching out from D&D.

Nope, it's the superior 2nd edition. (I love Genesys, just... not for Warhammer)

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    I mean yeah you don't just get to create a Rat Catcher and then go catch rats. Once you're a WFRP character you're fucked out for adventure.

Just remember in WFRP the rats may catch back and or attack you with warpfire throwers.

I don't know what you're talking about.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    I spent the cash just to get the 1st Edition.

Love me the first edition.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    We played a multi-year WFRP 1st Ed campaign, and I loved the wonky bastard. The GM ruled that it was random character creation, but if you had to roll a new character then you had free reign to spend the same amount of XP that your previous character had, so when I got a debilitating head injury eighteen months in I was able to create a slightly more powerful character as he wasn't constrained by the career choices available as the plot progressed. I still wasn't a sensible character (Halfling clerics of the Goddess of the Hearth aren't exactly mighty warriors), but it was still fun to play.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Speaking of Genesys, FFG released an article going over how character generation will work (and be.. well.. generic).

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/15/craft-your-character/

First off, YAY! The destiny points are becoming "Story" points, so they are keeping that system. I'm so happy to hear that, as I fell in love with it back in the 7th Sea 1E days.

To build a character, you start with archtype or species (I assume they take the same slot depending on setting). Three basic ones are laborer, intellectual and aristocrat, with the average human being the jack of all trades type.

Next is careers, either role-based or setting based. Given that the SWRPG system allows for multiple careers, this is good.

Finally is spending XP, then calculating final values.

So. Pretty much SWRPG, but generic. Which fits.

I'm absolutely in love with the game's art style.

gns01_exhumans4.jpggns01_exhumans3.jpg

gns01_combat.jpg

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I'm worked blocked so I can't see it, are they keeping the skill trees or doing something different?

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Having barely played SWRPG, I am unreasonably excited about this book.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    I'm worked blocked so I can't see it, are they keeping the skill trees or doing something different?

Sounds like it.
    Step 4: Investing Experience Points

Every character starts with a budget of experience points, and this is where you’re going to get the chance to spend them. This is where you get to flesh your character out, mechanically.

Experience can be spent to improve your character’s characteristics, buy ranks in skills, and purchase talents. We’ll talk more about some of the talents and skills you can find in Genesys later.
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Having barely played SWRPG, I am unreasonably excited about this book.

Apparently one of the most asked questions at GenCon was whether or not they had Genesys for sale.

Or at least I asked it. And about the WEG SW 30th anniversary. >.>

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited September 2017
    Ugh. That annoying feeling of being fairly sure youcown a book, but not being able to find it. In this case, Rigger 5 for Shadowrun.

Edit: I can find evidence I once owned it, but I can't find the actual purchase. And there is a slim chance I loaned it to a friend who has now moved cross country.

Edit 2: Found it! Stupid thing was under a similarly sized piece of paper.

Athenor on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Thanks to the recent Humble Bundle, my group has decided to play WFRP. I can now pack up all of the prep I did for Rogue Trader and run Ashes of Middenheim instead. It's a bit of a relief to not have to rely on my own imagination for a while.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is this a good place to ask for a bit of advice on character questionnaires for Dread?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Yeah. What's the question?

So I understand the general idea of what I want to accomplish with the questionnaire and my group. At least I think I do. I am trying to give each person a loose role to work with that they can flesh out with the questions and make their own.

The trouble I am running into is asking questions that gives interactions with the other player characters. I don't really know how to go about asking them. The rulebook just doesn't seem to really give me what I want as far as creating the interactions. The idea is that all they characters are already friends that have gotten trapped into a bad situation.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

So I understand the general idea of what I want to accomplish with the questionnaire and my group. At least I think I do. I am trying to give each person a loose role to work with that they can flesh out with the questions and make their own.

The trouble I am running into is asking questions that gives interactions with the other player characters. I don't really know how to go about asking them. The rulebook just doesn't seem to really give me what I want as far as creating the interactions. The idea is that all they characters are already friends that have gotten trapped into a bad situation.

Instead of looking at Dread questionnaires, I might consider looking at Powered by the Apocalypse games. Those tend to be loaded with questions that imply previous relationships, character interactions, and the like, and seem like they'd be a natural fit for a Dread questionnaire.

Is it too on the nose to ask for a fear? I feel like I developed at least one question to create this but I don't know which is a better way to go. I feel like asking what the character fears is not a good way to go and could end up being entirely irrelevant to what is happening.
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »

Instead of looking at Dread questionnaires, I might consider looking at Powered by the Apocalypse games. Those tend to be loaded with questions that imply previous relationships, character interactions, and the like, and seem like they'd be a natural fit for a Dread questionnaire.

I will look into Powered by the Apocalypse. Am I looking for character sheets or something?

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Is it too on the nose to ask for a fear? I feel like I developed at least one question to create this but I don't know which is a better way to go. I feel like asking what the character fears is not a good way to go and could end up being entirely irrelevant to what is happening.
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »

I will look into Powered by the Apocalypse. Am I looking for character sheets or something?

When you're looking at the different classes people can choose from, they each have a list of ways that they have already interacted with the other players in the group. I used the options out of Dungeon World for a one-shot just to set the tone between the party. It has stuff like "This person helped you out" or "You watched this person steal." The players get to pick what they know about each other and go from there. Here's an example. http://www.dungeonworldsrd.com/classes/bard/#Bonds

Definitely agree with @Dex Dynamo on those, using the bonds between people really worked well in my one experience trying it out.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    It is definitely not too on the nose to ask about a character's phobias in Dread, but try couching it in a deeper question, like: what is your character afraid of and what happened to cause that phobia?

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    Remember that questions for a dread questionnaire can be as open or leading as you want. You can also name other characters in the questions, or ask for other character's names.

"Why were you discharged from the academy?"
    "What is it that you hope [other character] never finds out about?"

The key to Dread questions is to put a just enough detail into the question to get the player thinking about it, but not enough that it limits their response space. And if necessary, remind the players that you can answer a question like "Why did you kill your best friend?" with an answer like "I didn't, but everyone thinks I did because I was framed"

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Trying to seed a question or two that ties each character to another character (or several other characters) is good too as it will help the players think about their character's relationships with each other in a way that will help their interactions during play feel like an extension of the backgrounds. Also it helps create friendships and rivalries.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Ooh, ICRPG with a new site that isn't YouTube, DriveThru, or Google+.

https://hankerinferinale.wixsite.com/icrpg

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Thank you for all the advice. It has helped me develop the questions for my players and I feel way more confident in the questions now.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    For anybody who got starfinder but is having problems with the binding on their book Paizo just put up a new blog post about the issues some people are seeing and how to report the issue and start the replacement process.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Oh hehe blog post is on their main page at paizo.com.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Hey roleplay thread. Been a bit. Game's been great but on hiatus due to uni, but I got a regular friday one with self contained sessions that I've been enjoying. Sorry if I was a nuisance the last few times I posted.

With FFG removing the entire page, Dark Heresy 2nd Edition is pretty much dead. It was already dead since FFG and GW parted ways, plus, in terms of big moneys, who needs 40k when you've got Star Wars?

It makes me really sad. I've put a lot of time into this edition. This was the edition where I found my groove as a GM. This was the edition where I basically outlined a gigantic overarching story with a world that all my groups, even if one or more of us drifted apart or just had to stop, would affect. This was the first game I completed a campaign in. This was the first one I wrote every adventure except for the tutorial adventure from the end of the book which I springboarded off of. This was the first one I felt I fully understood the system in.

I have the core rulebook and splat books, not the modules but I homebrew most of my stories abyway. Looking on Amazon, it looks to be $158 just for the core rule book. It feels weird to own these, like they're relics or something.

I know Wrath and Glory is on the horizon. I know I could just convert my story and characters and players' characters to it. I have reservation about that D6 system, but I also hated the idea of "Influence". It will probably be fine. I know DH2 was polarizing in some places.

I think I just came to post to put my feelings into words. I still have the game, I can still play it, and I did print those supplementary character materials (they were free) before the website went away; but the whole thing makes me sad. Not angry, just sad. Y'all ever had something like this happen to one of your favorite games?

Kadoken on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    How many books actually came out for Dark Heresy 2nd Ed?

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    How many books actually came out for Dark Heresy 2nd Ed?
    Enemies Without, Enemies Within, Enemies Beyond, the Game Master's kit, and like four modules.

The four core splats make it a complete game, but I would have preferred they kept the e-reader version and the character creation supplement stuff around.

Edit: DarkPrimus, about that seed stuff, you're super right. I actually have a problem with my stalled game where they're motivated enough to go on the adventures they go on but none of them have personal motivation to their characters and two of the three feel a little passive. I mean they all were basically pressed to serving their inquisitor from the outset of the adventure, but they are getting paid and were given five years leave after the last adventure took a toll on them.

I am trying to spice that up though. For my frontier world bounty hunter I introduced a Calamity Jane-esque character to play him off of, for my tech priest I'm giving him more of a personal stake to the stuff we're doing because he got cursed by a Slaaneshi temptress cult leader, and I'm about to introduce for the arbitrator character someone from his past. The problem is none of these guys really have a strong narrative background to their characters. I basically had to make up for the arbitrator character one and can't really come up with good ones for the other two.

I'm also making an active recurring flamboyant [edit: Not flamboyant, loud and showmany (Literally called "The Showman")] but cowardly villain that will be an constant antagonist in their future adventures and will be hunting them. Which will be a change from rhe first adventure where they were basically chasing the guy the entire time and never got to interact with him.

Kadoken on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Hmm... what do you guys think would be a good system to play Life is Strange / Night in the Woods / Stranger Things / Twilight Zone / IT / Oxenfree / normal-ish folk hang out and occasionally face existential horror together?

edited September 2017
    Hunter the Vigil as one of the more mundane groups.

You could also do Call of Cthulhu but that's usually based around the late 1800s and the early 1900s, your list of works feels more 80s-today, and I think Hunter works better with that.

Kadoken on
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Hmm... what do you guys think would be a good system to play Life is Strange / Night in the Woods / Stranger Things / Twilight Zone / IT / Oxenfree / normal-ish folk hang out and occasionally face existential horror together?
    Unknown Armies is sort of set up for this. Same with Urban Shadows. If you can read Swedish, Kult is very good for this (and hey maybe now it will get an English translation).

You absolutely could run this in a GUMSHOE game; Fear Itself is sort of this with Cthulhu gods/monsters - Bubblegumshoe IS this. Night's Black Agents is set up to emulate highly capable superspies, professional conspiracy theorists, and other high achievers but you could modify it to run with "regular" people who have some investigative skill.

As usual you could run this in any toolbox system. If you have a core mechanic you like that might be the way to go.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Tales from the Loop, FFG's End of the World line, or a homebrew PbtA game. TftL fits it pretty much to a T though.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Thanks for the swift replies. I'll look them all up.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If you want to lean on the investigative angle I'd go with GUMSHOE over Tales From the Loop. TFtL is a really pretty book but mechanically it's kind of meh.

• McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    If you want to lean on the investigative angle I'd go with GUMSHOE over Tales From the Loop. TFtL is a really pretty book but mechanically it's kind of meh.

I'd say Tales from the Loop is mechanically thighter than the other translated Fria Ligan game I know, Coriolis. However it seems that Mutant Year Zero might be the best of the bunch ? I need to read it.

The Coriolis campaign I'm in isn't really working for many reasons. I don't think the campaign isn't working strictly because of the system, but it sure isn't helping. With this group we previously played Trail of Chtulhu (so a GUMSHOE system) and it worked really well.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

Hard disagree. I've been underwhelmed every time I've played GUMSHOE games. We had a ton of fun playing playing TftL.

https://youtu.be/URubpCjDwjo

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

@Endless_Serpents Tales from the Loop is pretty heavily influenced by Stranger Things although I think it leans more to the sci-fi than horror side of things, if that matters. The Chronicles of Darkness is a good horror toolkit system and the Innocents supplement is specifically about playing and writing adventures centered on children and teens.

rRwz9.gif