As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Played a couple rounds of Space Cadets: Dice Duel over lunch.

It was the chaos promised. My engineer didn't like that he was throwing me dice and I wasn't instantly spending them, rather using them as a reserve to adapt to situations. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Hm. I read through the rules for Cerebria and it's a little ... dry, given the theme. Not sure what to make of it yet.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Darric wrote: »
    Hm. I read through the rules for Cerebria and it's a little ... dry, given the theme. Not sure what to make of it yet.

5e0hkpm74cz6.jpg

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Fuselage wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    MrBody wrote: »
    The only winning move is not to play :(
    Play "Don't Mess With Cthulhu"*! Even if you fail at bluffing, it doesn't hurt your team. You can straight up say "Hey, Investigator chums, I'm a fuckin' Cultist, come at me bro!", and it doesn't make you a pariah... it just makes the Investigators more confused! "Do we investigate his cards anyway, even though he says he has Cthulhu? What if he has Elder Signs? Oh god..."

Social deduction games often have the sort of lament that reading people (especially within the context of a game) is a valuable skill, and one that people 1) think they are good at 2) and are actually not good at. Dunning-Kruger at its finest. If you were good at reading people, you'd be playing poker and cleaning house!

* I know I evangelize this game a lot, but it solves most problems that I have with a typical social deduction game: There's no "close your fucking eyes and read a fucking script" phase, there's no player elimination, revealing your alleged identity doesn't effectively remove you from play (the "pariah effect"), there is incentive for investigators to bluff as cultists at times, and there's no voting to override your agency if you have the flashlight (the tyranny of the majority). The main disadvantage of the game (only one player has any real agency, and that's the current wielder of the flashlight) is one that's commonly shared by many social deduction games. It's not a perfect game by any means, but it's by far one of my favorite "light" social deduction games. For a heavier game that requires a LOT more rules explanation, I recommend Ultimate Werewolf: Inquisition.

Definitely got curious about the game after this post. Then I saw that it was running out of stock on CSI and already $50 on Amazon, so I ordered it. I've played Secret Hitler and Avalon a few times with a few people, enough to know it isn't always fun. So then I picked up Spyfall but haven't tried it yet, and picked up Secrets on a whim because it was in a LGS and it surprised me. I don't know how Secrets will hold up because of the randomness - but I also haven't figured out what I enjoy from these games, the bluffing (which I'm not good at) or the deduction (which I'm also not good at). So I'll have to play Spyfall, Secrets, Don't Mess With Cthulhu, and I still haven't opened Deception: Murder in Hong Kong.

Basically, I'm on the quest to find the board game apex predator. If I like Deception more than Mysterium, I'll find a new home for Mysterium or repurpose those beautiful cards for god knows what.

Mysterium cards are probably the best expansion Dixit can get.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    That's not the first time I've heard that, but I've never played Dixit.

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Dixit has some obvious similarities to Mysterium, but is entirely competitive, plays much faster, and is quicker to set up and quicker to explain.

I like both, but Dixit sees more play with us since it's so much easier to break out on a whim and play for a shorter period of time.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Dixit is a mechanic, Mysterium is an actual game built around that mechanic.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    Astaereth wrote: »

Nah.

Dixit is just fine as a game.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Dixit is Balderdash with pictures.

This is not a complaint.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Ketar wrote: »

Nah.

Dixit is just fine as a game.

smia1bfa4jl2.jpg

• A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    I just got a copy of Too Many Bones I didn't even remember ordering... Any thought on the game?

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    I believe the consensus around here was that the bone count was sufficient.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Tales of the Arabian Nights just arrived. It wasn't due until Friday.

+1 destiny point

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Dixit is a fine game for busting out on people that don't play board games. Easy to explain, easy to play (but with decent scope for "playing well") and awesome looking.

On a similar note King of New York was a hit at work. Managed to crank out rules and an entire game in just over an hour. Not bad for the first one. Managed to win with buying the gargantuan monster (+2 attack claws) card for 10 energy and laying waste to my opponents from Manhattan.

I think it'll be less of a hit with my regular group, though perhaps there'll be enough tactical considerations after some practice in it to make it appeal. As with Dixit though, it'll be great for playing with none-boardies.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    My biggest issue with Mysterium is the all-or-nothing conclusion. The rest of the game gives enough card draws to mitigate bad luck to a fair degree, and I feel flows well. The end part with the final guess does not, since it's so easily tripped up.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    My biggest issue with Mysterium is the all-or-nothing conclusion. The rest of the game gives enough card draws to mitigate bad luck to a fair degree, and I feel flows well. The end part with the final guess does not, since it's so easily tripped up.

Yeah the last round really spoils the game. I was sort of hoping it would be fixed in an expansion by now but I think the expansion(s) is(are) just more art

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    I just got a copy of Too Many Bones I didn't even remember ordering... Any thought on the game?

It's fairly poor. WAY WAY fiddly, like more then anything I've ever owned and the random set up can lead to a one move game over.

Campy wrote: »
    Dixit is a fine game for busting out on people that don't play board games.

If someone doesn't play boardgames my first move is not to go get a boardgame for them to play. My first move is to throw them out of my god damn house i do NOT have time for their SHIT

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Campy wrote: »
    Dixit is a fine game for busting out on people that don't play board games.

If someone doesn't play boardgames my first move is not to go get a boardgame for them to play. My first move is to throw them out of my god damn house i do NOT have time for their SHIT

AND DON'T LET THE BOARDGAME HIT YOU ON THE WAY OUT!

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Fedex man finally came by! Luckily its my day off!

HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE box. Spiderman for scale.
    Q5Bt3RC.jpg

...i may have a problem...
    yTUDOve.jpg

contents of the lightbringer box. even if the game sucks, the giant pile of minis ill have is worth it.
    uiwyP3z.jpg

im not sure why i have 2 troglodytes boxes...

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    Wow, this Queen Kickstarter is just spiraling down into literal hell. So much bullshit and lies being dumped out by their new hired mouthpiece it's just crazy. The poor guy just seems to be puking up what they've told him to but yikes.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    It's a shame because Merlin looks like a cool new Feld and it's been a while for me re new Feld games, but man that Kickstarter is just a nonstarter

Ah_Pook wrote: »
    It's a shame because Merlin looks like a cool new Feld and it's been a while for me re new Feld games, but man that Kickstarter is just a nonstarter

It'll absolutely be coming to retail. Queen is blatantly lying.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Yeah, I don't see any extra packs of dice there!

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

I know a lot of people were complaining about the marble dice, but I really like mine.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Dixit has some obvious similarities to Mysterium, but is entirely competitive, plays much faster, and is quicker to set up and quicker to explain.

I like both, but Dixit sees more play with us since it's so much easier to break out on a whim and play for a shorter period of time.

Competitive is not the word I'd use for Dixit. I agree that it's not cooperative like Mysterium is, but to me "competitive" implies that the game stands up to the rigors of people trying to play the game seriously. Dixit falls apart when someone realizes that you can do as well or better by spouting random words rather than trying to give actual clues.

edited September 2017

Massive Darkness is the one CMON game I was ok with not having extra dice in since you're limited to 3 anyway

Magic Pink on
    Ken O wrote: »

I know a lot of people were complaining about the marble dice, but I really like mine.

I got one of each extra type; they're really cool looking. I'm a sucker for dice.

Fry wrote: »

Competitive is not the word I'd use for Dixit. I agree that it's not cooperative like Mysterium is, but to me "competitive" implies that the game stands up to the rigors of people trying to play the game seriously. Dixit falls apart when someone realizes that you can do as well or better by spouting random words rather than trying to give actual clues.

If someone tried to play by spouting random words, they wouldn't be invited to game with us anymore. I don't have to worry about that though, because I don't game with terrible people.

If someone tried to play by spouting random words, they wouldn't be invited to game with us anymore. I don't have to worry about that though, because I don't game with terrible people.

check again all people are terrible

Massive Darkness is the one CMON game I was ok with not having extra dice in since you're limited to 3 anyway

I hate passing dice around the table; also, you're limited to three of each color on any particular roll, which means you could be rolling up to 12 dice each time!!! Who wants to hand 12 dice around?

Also, your hands are dirty and will probably curse my precioussssesssss.

Aww, has someone got a case of the Mondays? On a Thursday? Well, tomorrow TGIF! Turn that frown upside down :D

Aww, has someone got a case of the Mondays? On a Thursday? Well, tomorrow TGIF! Turn that frown upside down :D

than it's a bat'leth

I hate passing dice around the table; also, you're limited to three of each color on any particular roll, which means you could be rolling up to 12 dice each time!!! Who wants to hand 12 dice around?

Also, your hands are dirty and will probably curse my precioussssesssss.

And I totally agree! But for some reason in MD it didn't bother me.

But... That would be too much money...

kx3klFE.png

than it's a bat'leth

A bat what? Is that one of those nerd things? Oh, Magic Pink, you're just like those boys on Big Bang Theory. Bazinga! hehehehe

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Thou shalt not anything to do with The Show That Must Not Be Named.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Too Many Bones is not a very good game, IMO. The basic combat scenario building is not great, and the bones mechanic often means you're not getting enough bones! They named the game after the "you rolled poorly but here's a consolation prize" mechanic, which is indicative of how that mechanic is given too much weight for what it should be. I shouldn't be hoping to fail my roll because the bones ability is better than my base ability.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    Trying to investigate why I have extra togs has revealed I may be missing some things from my order. Frick. Now I gotta open everything and see if it's maybe stashed in other boxes. Can't find the dice bag, extra classes pads, chests and pillars that come with the light bringer pledge.... But I seem to have 9 enemies boxes when I should only have 7? Cluster.

kx3klFE.png
    Trying to investigate why I have extra togs has revealed I may be missing some things from my order. Frick. Now I gotta open everything and see if it's maybe stashed in other boxes. Can't find the dice bag, extra classes pads, chests and pillars that come with the light bringer pledge.... But I seem to have 9 enemies boxes when I should only have 7? Cluster.

All that should be in the Lighbringer box I think.