As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Twilight Imperium: 4th edition - Game #1: And they're off!

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Activate Mekaar Xull

Move 1 Carrier, 1 GF, and 1 Fighter from Starpoint.

Land

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    @Hedgethorn you're up

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Activate Quann.
    Move the Carrier and two ground forces from Rarron/Oucen'n to Quann.
    Put both ground forces on Quann.
    Use my infantry's production power.
    Exhaust Resculon and Nestphar.
    Build a Dreadnought and a Destroyer in Quann

Corrected below.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Boys, this is where it gets dumb.

Tactical Action!

Activate Mecatol Rex
    Move in 1 carrier and 3 ground troops from Arnor-Lor (leave Arnor defended by 1 infantry). (Speed 1 + 1 Gravity Drive; Antimass Deflectors to sneak through the Asteroid Field)
    Spend 6 influence by tapping Arnor (1), Lor (2), and Creuss (2) and spending my 1 trade good.
    Land 3 troops on the planet.
    Gain 1 victory point, enable the Agenda phase.

Pre-advice to everybody - when I activate Trade in the not-too-distant future, I'll be willing to let anyone refresh their commodities for free provided they pay me 2 commodities immediately (if a neighbor) or at their earliest convenience if not a neighbor. @MrBlarney , I'll let you have yours for free since you owe them to me in exchange for Saudor.

@Mojo_Jojo We are now neighbors! And you have some very nasty plants growing to your galactic west. You might have noticed how quickly they sprout dreadnoughts like, well, weeds to use the common speciesist term. Would you like some assistance with them?

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Also, @Brody

I see you also have the same plant problem. Surely we can come to some accommodation regarding them?

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    @MrBody, I'll let you have yours for free since you owe them to me in exchange for Saudor.

I'm flattered but the host has little use for trade goods.

• Options
    Also, @Brody

I see you also have the same plant problem. Surely we can come to some accommodation regarding them?

My support could certainly be purchased.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Hey, I'm just trying to build a hedge maze out of plant ships over here. I don't know what you're all worried about.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Oops. That was supposed to say @MrBlarney ! :D Sorry! Darn autocorrect. :D

EDIT: Also, on my way to PTO meeting; check back in a bit!

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I guess that's one fewer thing for me to worry about in this round...

Activate the Dal Bootha-Xxehan system.
    Move in 2 fighters, 1 carrier, and 2 infantry from the L1z1x home system.
    Land 1 infantry on each of Dal Bootha and Xxehan.

(TP 3 --> 2)

Action is on @Preda.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    I'm actually still negotiating - not sure if that allows play to proceed or not.

@Brody What can the Ghosts of Creuss offer you? I am primarily interested in preventing the spread of the hedges.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    It would depend on if you expect/wish a transaction to occur during your current turn; if yes, play should not proceed as effects of the play may affect the transaction and vice versa, and transactions are not allowed outside your own turn.

• Options
    Oh, whoops. Go on and resolve negotiations, then... not that any transactions can really occur until people have things that can be traded.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Oh, whoops. Go on and resolve negotiations, then... not that any transactions can really occur until people have things that can be traded.

Promissory notes.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    I'm all for negotiation but stopping for a whole day every action is going to drag this thing out.

Here's a ruling for transactions for the sake of a forum game:

Open with a specific offer to a player during your action. They may either accept or make a specific counter offer. You may then accept or reject the counter offer. The transaction is then concluded.

Unlimited negotiation can occur when it's not your turn. The restriction will only kick in when it's waiting on your turn. The actual exchange of notes and goods can not take place until it's one party's turn.

For the agenda phase, there will be a 24 hour window for open negotiations between everyone.

Transaction rule added to OP.

MrBody on
  • Options
    I'm actually still negotiating - not sure if that allows play to proceed or not.

@Brody What can the Ghosts of Creuss offer you? I am primarily interested in preventing the spread of the hedges.

I wouldn't be against your Support for the Throne.

• Options
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Activate Quann.
    Build a Dreadnought and a Destroyer in Quann.

This actually violates your current fleet supply of 3. You would have 4 ships in the system counting the cruiser that was already there. Please redo.

@Hedgethorn

• Options
    MrBody wrote: »
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Activate Quann.
    Build a Dreadnought and a Destroyer in Quann.

This actually violates your current fleet supply of 3. You would have 4 ships in the system counting the cruiser that was already there. Please redo.

@Hedgethorn

Oops. See below.

Activate Quann.
    Move the Carrier and one ground force from Oucen'n to Quann.
    Put ground force on Quann.
    Build a Dreadnought in Quann.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    For the upcoming free trade phase I'd like to point out that my racial promissory note is probably the best one on the table. Especially given we have two technology based objectives. Start bidding now so we don't slow things down overly.

@Elvenshae 2 commodities for a refresh is too steep. I'd happily pay one. And yes, I am worried about the unstoppable expanding plantfolk, what do you propose? Bear in mind they've not been hostile towards me yet

• Options
    Brody wrote: »

I wouldn't be against your Support for the Throne.

What are you offering in exchange? I'm willing to trade it.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    @Mojo_Jojo

You and the plant-folk are now stuck up against each other, so I suspect that peace between you cannot last much longer.

How about a free commodity refresh (when I take the Trade action) and one commodity from me (same) in exchange for Research Agreement now. I believe that, if we do this exchange now, you'll have a chance to research before the end of the round, triggering the Agreement, at which point you get it back and can reoffer the Research Agreement during the Agenda phase.

Deal?

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Well that has to wait until it's one of our turns, in which case I'll take your cease fire card as collateral and return it when you play trade and make good on your promise, but assuming nothing changes that seems like a decent plan

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Well that has to wait until it's one of our turns, in which case I'll take your cease fire card as collateral and return it when you play trade and make good on your promise, but assuming nothing changes that seems like a decent plan

It's currently my turn, so we can do the "binding stuff" now. :)

MrBlarney just jumped the gun slightly on his turn. So, with that in mind ...

Effective immediately, I hand my Cease Fire promissory note to @Mojo_Jojo.
    Effective immediately, Mojo_Jojo hands me Research Agreement.

I promise, upon taking the Trade action on a future turn, to allow Mojo_Jojo to refresh his commodities for free and pay him one commodity from my pool, at which point he will return my Cease Fire note.

Now, let us vaguely wave pseudopodia in each other's direction, as is the custom of my people.

• Options
    That goes against MrBody's transaction/negotiation rules. I'm happy to make the trade if able though.

Given hedgethorn needs to adjust his last move we should probably hang on a bit and get the turn order detangled

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Okay so it says promissory note exchanges and possession are allowed to be secret but that would really slow up the negotiation here unless people were allowed to negotiate via PM all the time. Since everything is being kept open, we'll just make all promissory transactions and ownership public.

You only have to put immediate exchanges as an official order since those are the only agreements that are mandatory. Players are not under any obligation to honor future conditions. If you do decide to honor an agreement, put it as an official order color when you execute it.

The current deal is fine. Only the "effective immediately" parts of Elvenshae's order happen though. The future promise is not official and will not happen until he formally orders it the instant it is to happen.

We are good to continue.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Thanks for clarifying

Although my understanding is that the second bit is non-binding so either one of is could welch during the trade action. So it happens when we both agree during that action rather than when he orders it

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Yup. The only enforceable agreements are ones that happen immediately. Going back on future promises is entirely legal.

MrBody on
  • Options
    @Brody

I'll trade you my Support for the Throne and a free commodity refresh in exchange for your Support for the Throne and your Trade Agreement. I'll then give you two of my commodities when I Trade. Net result is we both get two trade goods and a point and are disincentivized from attacking each other.

Deal?

• Options
    It is now @MrBlarney turn.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    I'll stick with my previously-stated orders.
    Activate the Dal Bootha-Xxehan system.
    Move in 2 fighters, 1 carrier, and 2 infantry from the L1z1x home system.
    Land 1 infantry on each of Dal Bootha and Xxehan.

(TP 3 --> 2)

Action is on Preda.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Presumably, we'll give @Brody a chance to respond to my trade offer, now that the rules have been clarified?

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Sorry, thought you were floating a 2nd offer to Mojo.

• Options
    I thought it was fine for me to proceed since the transaction proposal was already sent out, just needing a response to resolve. :shrug:

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    I thought it was fine for me to proceed since the transaction proposal was already sent out, just needing a response to resolve. :shrug:

Yeah, I figure that the potential overlap between Brody's answer and your turn is pretty damn small. :)

• Options
    @Elvenshae Accepted

• Options

I'll trade you my Support for the Throne and a free commodity refresh in exchange for your Support for the Throne and your Trade Agreement. I'll then give you two of my commodities when I Trade. Net result is we both get two trade goods and a point and are disincentivized from attacking each other.

Deal?

@Brody @Elvenshae

This isn't a legal trade you can only include one promissory note each

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Yay! Just to make it official ...

Effective Immediately
    I give @Brody my Support for the Throne promissory note.
    Brody gives me his Support for the Throne promissory note.
    We both gain 1 Victory point.

Future Promises
    I will allow Brody to freely use the primary ability of the Trade action when I do it.
    I will give Brody two commodities when I use the Trade action.
    Brody will give me two commodities when I use the Trade action.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Yeah only one promissory note each per transaction.

• Options
    ... shit, missed that. Lemme fix the deal, then.

• Options
    @Brody

I think you'd be happy with the above modification (essentially, moving the exchange of goods portion entirely into the realm of future promises), since the Support cards are more important, but please let me know if that affects your acceptance.