As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PokemonGO] Now with weather effects!

• Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    I get the intent behind PokemonGo is meant to be a social game, but Niantic isn't taking the lessons from what every MMO in the past has learned. There is dungeon/raid burnout, and that content becomes wasted content when nobody wants to do it.

Then again. I don't expect much from Niantic.

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    So, raid eggs are back. It's nice that you can't be surprised by a gym turning immune anymore, but otherwise the eggs were mostly useless. And raids now have a 1 hour timer, which is pretty bad for level 4s.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I rather like the lockout period of the eggs.
    It gives everyone who's not constantly watching a scanner a chance to join in on the raid group, and gives people who don't have comms a chance to turn up when it hatches and join.
    Probably do need to be able to see what's in the egg though, so you don't turn up expecting a Tyranitar and get some other poke.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    It gives everyone who's not constantly watching a scanner a chance to join in on the raid group, and gives people who don't have comms a chance to turn up when it hatches and join.
    Probably do need to be able to see what's in the egg though, so you don't turn up expecting a Tyranitar and get some other poke.

Even when I was at comic con, people weren't waiting around at random egg hatches for a newly spawned raid. And like grobian said, they reduced the active time down to 1 hour, so it's a lot dicier trying to wait upwards of half an hour for people to drive in

steam_sig.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    One step forward, one step back.

They never really make this app better. They just make it different.

The measure of brokenness and player-unfriendliness remains constant.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »

Even when I was at comic con, people weren't waiting around at random egg hatches for a newly spawned raid. And like grobian said, they reduced the active time down to 1 hour, so it's a lot dicier trying to wait upwards of half an hour for people to drive in

Eh...
    I walk to (new legendary poke) raids that I'm close to for lunch at work.
    No point doing that though without constantly checking apps without eggs.. the raid group will go through in the first 15 min and no-one else will want to run it.

Have any of you gotten an EX raid pass yet? Are they even live? Or is it still in limited beta?

I did some raiding this weekend. Not much. I hit 2 Raikou's, and caught one of them. But that's more than I've done in the past week or more.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Have any of you gotten an EX raid pass yet? Are they even live? Or is it still in limited beta?

I did some raiding this weekend. Not much. I hit 2 Raikou's, and caught one of them. But that's more than I've done in the past week or more.

I believe it's still in Beta at the moment. But I haven't logged in since the end of the Legendary birds so I'm not 100% sure.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    A couple people in my metro area got a raid pass, but just the one. Looks like Niantic's being very sparing about issuing them so far.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    After legendary birds came out it feels like PokemonGo died once September hit. Everything's dead out here in Seattle.

Waffen wrote: »
    After legendary birds came out it feels like PokemonGo died once September hit. Everything's dead out here in Seattle.

Glad it's not just me.

Some EX raid passes are going out, and it looks like they're only going out to people who raided recently. Like, after the birds went away. I remember specifically doing a legendary raid at one stop where people got passes during the birds, but I wasn't included.

So, unless you're a die-hard raiding machine, you can probably forget about getting an EX pass.

I raided recently, as recent as last weekend, but I doubt that's recent enough to get an EX pass.

edited September 2017
    My issue right now is when I go back to my parents home, everyone plays Pokemongo and it's great. I come to suburbia here in the Pacific Northwest and nobody plays it. It also doesn't help that a year ago Niantic disabled spawns on the military base, which was a shame because JBLM spawned a lot of high quality Pokémon before it was shut off.

I can't justify to myself driving to Olympia or Tacoma to play a cell phone game.

Waffles or whatever on
    I raided recently, as recent as last weekend, but I doubt that's recent enough to get an EX pass.

Well, that probably puts you in the lottery, at least.

People have been saying the best way to increase your chances is to grind raids of Magikarp and whatnot, since one of the EX passes in my area was for a normal raid. But that means driving around trying to find something you can solo.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    My issue right now is when I go back to my parents home, everyone plays Pokemongo and it's great. I come to suburbia here in the Pacific Northwest and nobody plays it. It also doesn't help that a year ago Niantic disabled spawns on the military base, which was a shame because JBLM spawned a lot of high quality Pokémon before it was shut off.

I can't justify to myself driving to Olympia or Tacoma to play a cell phone game.

It's okay. I live in Olympia right now and if you're not in downtown Olympia, specifically, you aren't really going to find other players right now.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I hatched a Cleffa yesterday which was cool

I also lost a green Snubbull (on a curveball with an upgraded ball) which was a pretty big drag

Xaquin wrote: »

I also lost a green Snubbull (on a curveball with an upgraded ball) which was a pretty big drag

Does that mean it was Shiny?

But yeah, I got an ex pass, but apparently all of the ones in this area happened to be at the same time on friday, at a number of different sprint stores.

So.... if you see a raid at a sprint store/starbucks, maybe consider hitting it up?

steam_sig.png
    I'm assuming he means green difficulty on the throw ring.

Shiny Snubbull looks like this:
    209.png

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

Does that mean it was Shiny?

I don't know if it was shiny, but the throwing ring was green.

The RNG for this game should really be tweaked (haha like they'd put in the effort).

Ohh, sorry I thought you said the Snubbull was green haha.

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Showed up to a raid last night, our player base was low, and we barely missed the mark of taking down the Raikou by just 10 seconds. I feel like it might be better if they operated on a schedule, like Salmon Run in Splatoon 2.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Uh oh, I think Pokemon GO finally realized I quit the game. I just got a naggy notification to "come back now and join other trainers in experiencing Pokemon in the real world!"

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    But yeah, I got an ex pass, but apparently all of the ones in this area happened to be at the same time on friday, at a number of different sprint stores.

So.... if you see a raid at a sprint store/starbucks, maybe consider hitting it up?

Do we know yet if EX raids are open for everyone, or are they still in testing mode?

3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
    Pretty sure it's still testing

steam_sig.png
    Well apparently they're available here in the Ohio area because my Discord channel blew up recently. When I was out to lunch I heard a bunch of people talking about Mewtwo but didn't realize it was actually happening around here.

urahonky wrote: »
    Well apparently they're available here in the Ohio area because my Discord channel blew up recently. When I was out to lunch I heard a bunch of people talking about Mewtwo but didn't realize it was actually happening around here.

Near as I can tell they sent out passes to everyone who raided at a Sprint gym recently. (There's two in my area, and both happened.)

I've got a Sprint store within 5 minutes of my apartment but it isn't a gym. It's only a stop.

But I've seen people posting about getting Mewtwo passes in my local Discord and Facebook groups.

• BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    We (3 of us) did our Ex MewTwo raid Friday evening (6pm-7pm). All 3 of us ended up catching it. I knew there was an increase chance in capturing. Didn't realize it was so easy. Of the about 100 people that got the invite, I only heard of 5-10 not getting the capture.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
    Aaaahhhhh this is happening!
    e0l90nseo2vx.png

Even if I got a Mewtwo pass, I wouldn't have anyone to do it with.

#RuralProblems.

• QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    e0l90nseo2vx.png

Did you get it right after finishing a raid battle or did it just appear in your items today?

3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
    Even if I got a Mewtwo pass, I wouldn't have anyone to do it with.

#RuralProblems.

You don't know that.

edited September 2017
    e0l90nseo2vx.png

Did you get it right after finishing a raid battle or did it just appear in your items today?

The most recent raid that I have completed at that Starbucks location was 9/9 when I caught my Raikou.

Got the invitation on 9/19. So I guess that's 10 days in between.

Lucascraft on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Ohhh, double stardust huh? I need that.

• RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    I also got one of those EX raid invites, for Thursday night at a local Starbucks.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Congrats to those who got them.

I haven't, as far as I can recall, done any raids at "sponsored" gyms, nor have I done any in a couple weeks. Hopefully the'll expand the field at some point.

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    Congrats to those who got them.

I haven't, as far as I can recall, done any raids at "sponsored" gyms, nor have I done any in a couple weeks. Hopefully the'll expand the field at some point.

I think all the "sponsored" stuff that I've seen/visited have all been stops and not gyms. I might have to go wander around somewhere to see if I can find one relatively close, then maybe I can get one if/when they have a next wave of invites. I hope?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited September 2017
    Ohh. I need all three of those Pokémon still

Waffles or whatever on