As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't be a d*ck to the hotel and their staff

bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork ProductsPacific NW, USARegistered User regular
One of the things I do every year is ask the hotel staff how this PAX went for them. These are the people that are keeping things running at our chosen 'home base' for PAX, and dealing with the general public is a very hard job. As someone who worked retail for around five years, I have personal experience on the difficulty level and try to treat them all with the greatest amount of respect I can.

This year, I was disturbed to hear that at least one group of 'guests' had left a big enough mess behind that the housekeeping staff member was unable to clean things up on her own and actually left the room in tears to find someone else who could take care of it for her. Obviously, I was not able to get full details due to privacy and such, but things such as vomit and rows of beer bottles were mentioned.

The thought that this might have been a PAX attendee appalls me.

Yes, we are paying money to stay at our chosen hotels, and yes, it is the job of the staff to take care of many things, housekeeping included, but that is no excuse to leave a room in such a state that the housekeeping staff leaves the room in a panic. We are 'guests' of the hotel, and we should act and treat the rooms and staff accordingly.

I'm 99% sure that participation in the OnPeak group rate thing is voluntary, and if people trash the hotel, they very well may decide that PAX isn't worth the business and withdraw from it, making things more expensive for everyone else.

Don't be That Guy (tm) and screw it up for the rest of us.

Thank you

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
eIMwu3s.png

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    People who do that likely aren't going to be swayed by a forum post, but it's a nice thought.

• Options
    kyoyakyoya Registered User new member
    zerzhul wrote: »
    People who do that likely aren't going to be swayed by a forum post, but it's a nice thought.

It's my hope that if other PAX attendees witness vandalism occurring on hotel or convention center property they report it to hotel security, enforcer or a cop. Just say something or better yet take a photo of the person doing it. This is coming from someone who almost had to stand out in the cold when someone pulled the fire alarm at the Westin hotel in Boston during PAX East. Before that, someone drunk fell all over people and furniture in the hotel lobby and nearly got kicked out by security.

• Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Agreed. But raising awareness of it is never a bad thing in my view, and unfortunately it's all I can do being just a guy on the forum, you know? :)

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png