As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Out Now on PC

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »
    I'm excited for this and I've not even finished the first!
    And it'd be SUPER DUMB to buy this given that fact.
    And yet it tempts me. I love me some non-human races for playable chars. I hate playing humans in RPGs, really.

To be fair this takes place quite long after the first one and so I assume the references will be fairly vague. Personally, I've given up on finishing the first and I've picked this up, sooo....

This is really all the excuse I needed to break down. Someone who functions like I do to break first =p.

vamen on
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I have a weird love hate relationship with isometric rpg's.
    I did not finish Pillars of Eternity, i did not finish Tyranny, i have not finished Original Sin 1.
    Simply put, i have a tendency to not finish rpg's of this type.
    So why do i keep buying them?

I restarted PoE when i encountered a situation where i needed different stats than i had for an outcome i wanted, but never really got past the beginning (and the weird random loot in containers made me frustrated).
    I quit my Tyranny playthrough when the game refused to let me stab the blue dude in the back when i wanted to, instead forcing me to do something i considered stupid for my character to do, and never really got around to restarting it even if i meant to.
    Original sin playthrough is on hold in the frozen area, and i just can't bring myself to go finish it.

Mainly, i guess i mostly just find the combat too tedious and stressful.
    Trying to puzzle how much resources i can afford to use in combat, while knowing that every healing potion is, ultimately, irreplaceable (there's limited amount of gold, xp and other things you might want), worrying about random loot (and knowing i get only so many chests and/or enemies i can loot), while also taking so long to take down even the most basic foes, just ends up making me not pick the games again if i even stop playing (in contrast to skyrim and Fallout 4 where i have abandoned and restarted 100+ hour playthroughs, that almost never actually managed to get to the end of the game).

Yet i bought Original Sin 2.
    Because gameplay looks fun, i like the character creator and all the skills, and the what little i've seen of the story makes it look interesting.
    I just hope i don't end up quitting midway in frustration.

I don't think I've ever finished an isometric RPG EXCEPT Tyranny, which I looooved and nearly finished a second time. I think that mostly kept me going because so much of it reminded me of The Black Company.

But yea...I'm in the same boat as you...and bought Divinity 2 about 5 minutes ago.

Oddly, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Planescape: Torment, and Fallout 1 are among my favorite games.
    Wonder what makes them different from these newer games, or if it is just me having shorter attention span (or more things competing for me attention).

edited September 2017
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Oddly, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Planescape: Torment, and Fallout 1 are among my favorite games.
    Wonder what makes them different from these newer games, or if it is just me having shorter attention span (or more things competing for me attention).

I'd bet the latter. Back then, when BG came out...that was about the only option we had for that type of game. Same with all the others. Now we get a lot of them per year, not to mention countless amounts of other genres. I'm pretty confident that's why I never beat many games anymore.

Right now I have about FOUR isometric RPGs going. And all of them are excellent. And here I am about to start Divinity 2.
    It's hard to focus!

vamen on
    vamen wrote: »
    Nyysjan wrote: »

I'd bet the latter. Back then, when BG came out...that was about the only option we had for that type of game. Same with all the others. Now we get a lot of them per year, not to mention countless amounts of other genres. I'm pretty confident that's why I never beat many games anymore.

Right now I have about FOUR isometric RPGs going. And all of them are excellent. And here I am about to start Divinity 2.
    It's hard to focus!

Also the internet.
    Sure there was internet back then, but nothing like today.
    Also youtube.

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I've got a few people lined up to play this with so I'm hoping that'll keep me concentrated on it.

But yeah, I'm in the "I never finish these games" boat.

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Waiting to get home from work to play this. I think I want to use one of the origin characters and am torn between Fane, Lohse, and Sebille who each seen interesting. If Lohse was an elf I'd pick her for sure, cannibalism is so tempting.

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I hear that this one is much shorter that OS1, the reason being is they want people to play around more, try different characters, do co-op or competitive co-op.

I'm actually a huge fan of that. I tend to not be able to beat 100+ hour games anymore so being able to dip in and out and fiddle around is much more appealing to me.

I will probably just start with custom male human witch.
    Though i'll pick my own skill instead of using the presets.
    Just can't decide on the skills.
    Loremaster, ofcourse, but which magics to pick.
    Necromancer seems inviting, but i need pre existing corpses to raise.
    Summoning also looks fun, but it also looks like it needs lot of spells to make it really work.
    And i have to start with 1 character instead of 2, so i can't build complementary characters like i did in original sin 1.

• BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    I hear that this one is much shorter that OS1, the reason being is they want people to play around more, try different characters, do co-op or competitive co-op.

I'm actually a huge fan of that. I tend to not be able to beat 100+ hour games anymore so being able to dip in and out and fiddle around is much more appealing to me.

Yeah this sounds infinitely better than a story that just drags on forever

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    gol dang it steam

this should have downloaded when it went up that's what i left you on for you big turd. now i gotta wait 2 hours for something i'm going to turn off anyway

• KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular

Even if they halve it from the first game that's still a 50-60 hour game which is the sweet spot of RPGs imo. Long enough to build a solid narrative but doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    *yawn* *stretch*

First area "done" (that is, half side quests not-done but I left) in 5.5 hours, might be a good idea to take a short break now.

I think this starts a lot better than DOS 1 and I love the fact you can just tell the NPCs what their spec is so you can choose on personality or looks instead of "oh I need a healer and a tank".

Everything is awesome so far, really.

Played it a bit, didn't even get off the boat, realized I really don't like this game at all!

I'll try it co-op with the BF and see if that kicks in any fun.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    What didn't you like about it? It's a lot more fun after the boat.

Targetting anything is awful on the xbox controller and it's just really really boring.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Played it a bit, didn't even get off the boat, realized I really don't like this game at all!

I'm kind of surprised you are trying it given you said you bounced off the first one in half and hour and never looked back. I mean, it's great that you are trying it. And one certainly hopes that 2 is more polished and has a less rambling intro than 1. But 2 is basically billed as "1 but better," which wasn't your cup of tea.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Iolo wrote: »

I'm kind of surprised you are trying it given you said you bounced off the first one in half and hour and never looked back. I mean, it's great that you are trying it. And one certainly hopes that 2 is more polished and has a less rambling intro than 1. But 2 is basically billed as "1 but better," which wasn't your cup of tea.

I said that? That's weird. I bought two copies for me and a friend to play on the PS4 and loved it but she hated it.

I liked the intro to 1 a LOT better.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    By golly, if an old-school isometric RPG doesn't start with you as a Level 1 Pansy who couldn't kill a hamster and a story that builds slower than molasses and needs at least six hours of exposition by a disembodied skull to get rolling, I ain't playing it !

Fairchild on
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    "Hello, I am a warrior who specializes in..."

"You're a fucking healer now"

Are you the magic man?
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

I said that? That's weird. I bought two copies for me and a friend to play on the PS4 and loved it but she hated it.

I liked the intro to 1 a LOT better.
    I tried playing Original Sin 2 with three friends, but they'd messed around with the game a bit during early access and just blitzed through the intro area without thinking. When I brought it up, they offered to go at my pace, but I figured it would happen again at some point, so I put an end to that and decided to just play it solo. I'm enjoying it so far.

man that blows

i played it for about 30 minutes then put it down and probably will not go back to it. Turns out I really don't like those games! Plus trying to play them with a controller really sucks; thank you for putting the option in there but it's hella frustrating to target stuff.

Oh I misread this as you bouncing off D:OS1 after thirty minutes. Sorry about that!!

As I said elsewhere recently, I loved D:OS1 a lot. And I followed D:OS2 development and am pretty pumped for a lot of the changes and new features.

But I just can't handle a timesink RPG right now. I'm super happy to hear they aimed for a shorter game to encourage more playthroughs and experimentation. I hope that's the case. But even a 40-50 hours RPG is a serious rabbit hole to fall down.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    you have slandered my good name

expect a call from my attorney

• KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Fairchild wrote: »
    By golly, if an old-school isometric RPG doesn't start with you as a Level 1 Pansy who couldn't kill a hamster and a story that builds slower than molasses and needs at least six hours of exposition by a disembodied skull to get rolling, I ain't playing it !

I found it a neat little nod to planescape that as soon as you have control of your character there is a grinning skull laying right near by.

Konphujun on
    Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
    edited September 2017
    i've reached the city fort, gained my 2nd companion, so far so good, will play more as soon as the cat no longer requires my arm for a pillow.

Nyysjan on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    I really want to start playing this but I have about 5 games on the go and I should really finish something.

But OS quickly became one of my favourite RPGs ever...

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Gleep, I forgot about the GW2 expansion next week. I need to get rolling on this baby.

Recommendations about whether to play as one of the pre-built characters or roll my own ?

Gleep, I forgot about the GW2 expansion next week. I need to get rolling on this baby.

Recommendations about whether to play as one of the pre-built characters or roll my own ?

always roll your own. it's not that complex anyway

edited September 2017

I picked a pre-build one because their story sounded interesting. I was actually quite torn on WHICH to pick because each seemed like an interesting character with a story I wanted to hear.
    I feel like I'll get more out of it by doing that since my character will have a personality. And once you get going you can customize however you want, anyway.

EDIT - mistakenly said "custom" instead of "pre-built".

vamen on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I can't decide who to make what, and so I'll just never play! Decisions are hard! :3

I do know I want to use Ifan (likely my main), Lohse, Sebille, and Beast. Aside from Lohse staying an Elementalist, I'm not quite sure what to make everyone else that also fits them thematically. I'm trying to stay away from too many hybrid classes, too. I don't want to split my damage. The first game was the same way.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    By the end of DIVINITY 1, there was one class, the Mage I think ? that was so ludicrously over-leveled that the final Boss fight was a cake walk. This is also well in keeping with the traditions of old-school isometric RPG's, so I'm totally in favor of it.

edited September 2017
    My character is a custom human going for necromancy/summoner, with lore master as a non combat skill and pet pal trait (will probably get leech later when i level and find blood rain spell).
    Can't do nothing that interesting in combat, but i think the ebility to pre summon a pet and a totem will give a nice boost to combat effectiveness, and just summoning totems every turn while companions do CC and give new surfaces should be fairly effective (and i can put a point or two into other magic skills later down the line).

Nyysjan on
    By the end of DIVINITY 1, there was one class, the Mage I think ? that was so ludicrously over-leveled that the final Boss fight was a cake walk. This is also well in keeping with the traditions of old-school isometric RPG's, so I'm totally in favor of it.

My Wizard in D2 sure is OP at wiping out my whole party, so I bet it will be OP by end game too =).

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Running Lohse as a Conjurer for my first game. Talking to the elf lady on the ship, she was flirting with Lohse hardcore, jeez.

Also it's neat that elves eat people and are creepy? That's weird.

The undead guy seems fun, I guess I have to include him in the party.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    If I remember from the DOS EE, the melee characters do all the damage. Especially when you start crafting. Mages just lock everything down. I dunno if this one is different. Downloading it now.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Do characters react to the fact that you're dead when hitting on people as a skeleton?

If not, thats a pretty big oversight and missing out on potential comedy gold.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Having not played the game I figured they would react poorly otherwise what's the point of wearing people as a disguise?

butts
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Jookie wrote: »
    Having not played the game I figured they would react poorly otherwise what's the point of wearing people as a disguise?
    Mostly talking about the companions you can romance that will know what you actually are.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I am loving this game so far. Only about 3 hours in, but I've already had some great interactions between Lohse and some of the residents of Fort Joy. There's a dwarven minstrel who has a fun interaction with Beast, too.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Jookie wrote: »
    Mostly talking about the companions you can romance that will know what you actually are.

I dunno; they're probably still down for some boning.