As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chevy Cruze was hissing when I got home and here is a pic

RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
I get home and I hear this sound coming from my engine. I popped it open and there was noise coming from this general area to the side of the battery, and underneath. I could not see the source.
a7rEKyI.jpg

Those three tubes are right next to the battery. You can see it here in the diagram.
vuy8p2wdz5q1.png

There was white ....not smoke, just steam? Hissing out from this area, I could not see where.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    I should think it was steam you were seeing. Could be the engine was possibly getting to hot.
    This isn't Cruze specific, but in general I would say step 1is to check the level of coolant in the radiator and oil in the engine. Your car manual should tell how to check those.
    Step 2 is to check if the radiator fan runs when needed - note here it won't start until the engine is warm and fixing it can just a small thing or something more complicated.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    If you have a coolant reservoir, sometimes they get a hole in them along a seam. Radiator steam gets pushed back into the reservoir, builds up pressure, and it escapes through the hole and sprays everywhere.

Just looking at your photo, things are getting sprayed with some unknown fluid or vapor. Looks like it's all over those plastic bits where the three cable?s are going, and the tag looking thing underneath.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I was mixing this up with Chevy Chase when I first read the title and was expecting a much more insane picture

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I was mixing this up with Chevy Chase when I first read the title and was expecting a much more insane picture

flash of Pierce Hawthorne's face on a cat hissing angrily

Did the vapor(?) look kind of milky, or did it really look like plain steam? Also how hot is it in general where you live right now?

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    You've got a coolant leak someplace. See all the orange residue on your picture? That's Dexcool, GM's in house coolant.

• Options
    Plain white steam

Heat wave breaking in Seattle

Just topped off coolant

• Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Plain white steam

Heat wave breaking in Seattle

Just topped off coolant

Just before or just after the steam issue?

• Options
    My mom saw smoke and freaked, but it was a cold night and she saw it when she first saw the issue. I'll ask if the auto guy completely filled the coolant

• Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    My mom saw smoke and freaked, but it was a cold night and she saw it when she first saw the issue. I'll ask if the auto guy completely filled the coolant

I was just trying to figure out the order of operations. If you just had the coolant (and possibly other liquids) topped off, it could just be a spill from that, or the cap wasn't put back on super well. If it was before you had the top up, it's much more likely a loose seal or other leak.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Yeah I've had the car on for about half an hour now and I just saw a puff of smoke. Pretty big and I was just sitting at the light. The temperature gauge is just under the halfway point. I'll check under the hood when I get back to the apartment

edit: HOLY FUCK IT IS A COOLANT LEAK, THAT TANK WAS MOSTLY FULL YESTERDAY MORNING!

Guaged went a tick mark over the halway point and coolant was bone dry.

I've got enough to fill the tank just now, and maybe top it off later, gotta go somewhere today.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Do not drive it if it's overheating. You run the risk of doing serious damage to the engine. Radiator fix is probably cheap, head gasket is not.

VishNub on
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    mRahmani wrote: »
    You've got a coolant leak someplace. See all the orange residue on your picture? That's Dexcool, GM's in house coolant.

A 2012 Cruze may still be under powertrain warranty, I would get it checked asap.

Also, do not mix the traditional green coolant and GM Dexcool, they are not compatible and will react to form a bunch of brown sludge throughout the system. If you already did, you'll need to flush the system and refill with fresh coolant.

mRahmani on
  • Options
    Yeah, scheduled appointment for tomorrow, put the kibash on driving today

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Ask if what is wrong in Parseltongue.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options

A 2012 Cruze may still be under powertrain warranty, I would get it checked asap.

Also, do not mix the traditional green coolant and GM Dexcool, they are not compatible and will react to form a bunch of brown sludge throughout the system. If you already did, you'll need to flush the system and refill with fresh coolant.

Yes, it is in fact.

Also, my mother got the coolant on the advice of the parts guy, who had brain cells and read books.

• Options

You are a genius. Powertrain warranty was still active when I called yesterday, and it covered teh damage. Turns out it was a blown gasket.

But its covered, so I have a rental, after 5.5 hours.