As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starcraft Remastered] Now Live!

14567810»

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    It's pretty annoying how there's still network issues that have been plaguing the game since the first version:

1. Games where not everyone sees all players in the game lobby, meaning they drop when the game starts
    2. The game getting confused thinking someone hasn't downloaded the map you've hosted, and you can't start till one or more people rejoin.
    3. The latency in general is surprisingly pretty bad on average. It seems a lot worse in the new client (1.18 and onward).

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »

That's a pretty good video but I do wish he'd have gone over some basics in the hour or so that he had. Hopefully he'll have more up soon.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

That's a pretty good video but I do wish he'd have gone over some basics in the hour or so that he had. Hopefully he'll have more up soon.

I think that video was more to get people excited about him doing Starcraft videos again. The next sounds like it'll be more what you're after:
    We'll have three videos today covering

-An intro to mechanics

-An intro to strategy

-Mechanics video #1 - How to manage a base efficiently!

broken image link
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    I'm pretty happy with that series and I'm looking forward to future ones. It's pretty difficult to find 'famous' starcraft matches where someone puts them into historical context with what made the matches famous. Like I know Flash is good, but what is he known for? When did he rise? What was his breakout match? No idea!

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    I'm pretty happy with that series and I'm looking forward to future ones. It's pretty difficult to find 'famous' starcraft matches where someone puts them into historical context with what made the matches famous. Like I know Flash is good, but what is he known for? When did he rise? What was his breakout match? No idea!

I actually bought a book someone was selling in 2010 called The Starcraft Bible that was exactly about this. the rest of what I know I've just picked up from various casters talking about the history.

but I came to post this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwraGZl7MJk&feature=youtu.be

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Just beat all 3 brood war campaigns. Almost all the missions were fairly easy, except for zerg missions 8 and 9 (due to the time limit). It's amusing how much of a hard time the computer has with dark templars, even though they are given tons of detectors.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Did you find the secret mission?

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I'm debating skipping the last campaign mission in the SC1 campaign not because I think it would be hard but because I feel like it would be tedious and just skipping ahead to Brood Wars.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    I'm debating skipping the last campaign mission in the SC1 campaign not because I think it would be hard but because I feel like it would be tedious and just skipping ahead to Brood Wars.

You mean the mission where you can just build up a fleet of battlecruisers and send them straight at the overmind?

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Dont forget to do skezar's scavengers. It is super easy on brood war because you can just mind control the tarrasque with dark archons, its a bit harder in original.

Did you find the secret mission?

I didn't get it but some years ago I cheated to get to it so I have played it.

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

You mean the mission where you can just build up a fleet of battlecruisers and send them straight at the overmind?

Isn't this every game?

With zerg it's either mass hydra or mass muta.

Last night I was on the zerg mission where you have to use DTs to kill the overmind, and I went full mutas due to the early 2nd gas.

Things were going great until I looked away for a sec and two valkeries had words with my swarm of mutas.
    >.<'

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    Brood War missions are so much fun, though. I had lots more fun with those campaign missions than in Original. Especially the later Zerg and Protoss missions, where they just put up a massive wall of Protoss forces in front of you. Boring. At least with Brood War missions there's always some sort of twist that makes it interesting.

Been playing Poker Defense every now and then. I still don't think I understand everything going on in that game.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Please mark your spoilers.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    edited September 2017
    Day9 streamed episode 2 last night. It was pretty good stuff. I see this morning he has it split out into separate lessons and such, which is helpful if you don't have 2+ hours to spend watching something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3W4c8U4SDU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8GgbfPoltk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQI35tpyD3I

Thawmus on
    Brood War missions are so much fun, though. I had lots more fun with those campaign missions than in Original. Especially the later Zerg and Protoss missions, where they just put up a massive wall of Protoss forces in front of you. Boring. At least with Brood War missions there's always some sort of twist that makes it interesting.

Been playing Poker Defense every now and then. I still don't think I understand everything going on in that game.

I just completed all 3 original campaigns and I have to agree, the Zerg campaign was really boring. A couple of the later Protoss missions had some difficulty (like the one where you start with Tassadar and 2 zealots) or the one to free Tassadar, simply because your initial base has very few minerals. I eventually just gave in and built tons of carriers so I could expand into the computer bases. The final protoss mission was just annoying having to manage 2 bases. I was really surprised the computer took out the first wave of my carrier fleet because they built a shitload of scourge.

Enigmedic wrote: »
    Dont forget to do skezar's scavengers. It is super easy on brood war because you can just mind control the tarrasque with dark archons, its a bit harder in original.

I just completed this in original starcraft. It is tough. It provides a much better challenge than either the original campaigns or brood war campaigns. The last level took a while, there's a lot to clear. I opted to save the protoss in an earlier mission, so the last level is against tons of zerg + terran. I just turtled up and went carrier/battlecruiser, but even then it was slow moving. That Torrasque constantly spawning is quite annoying.

I think what I like about skezar's scavengers is how they just. keep. fuckin'. coming. I ended up losing my base in the first mission, and had to rebuild everything in a computer base that I took, and then had to eke out an existence there.

Which is really a lot of fun, when you get down to it. I loved playing the Terran Nomad, and the new base had high ground and it's always fun to see how high the kill count on a siege tank can get.

The last mission of that campaign is bonkers no matter which path you took earlier in the campaign. Fight the zerg and its a never ending stream of torrasque, and if you go the other way you get destroyed by AI micro of high templars and arbiters effectively deleting half your army every attack.

What tips it over for me is which way gives me Warbringer.

I think what I like about skezar's scavengers is how they just. keep. fuckin'. coming. I ended up losing my base in the first mission, and had to rebuild everything in a computer base that I took, and then had to eke out an existence there.

Which is really a lot of fun, when you get down to it. I loved playing the Terran Nomad, and the new base had high ground and it's always fun to see how high the kill count on a siege tank can get.

The first mission I had to restart once because I was caught off guard by extremely early mutalisks.

TelMarine wrote: »

The first mission I had to restart once because I was caught off guard by extremely early mutalisks.

Yup. The muta storm was ridiculous. But even more ridiculous is that I had 6 siege tanks that were pretty much always firing. I kept trying to gauge when to go North, and I just kept hearing that beautiful noise. So, sure enough, as soon as I decided to move out, CPU just came in from behind me and took out my base.

I still won, pretty happy that I stuck it out. That North base is so much more fun to hold. I think I had 3-400 kills from just being in that base alone.

It should be noted that I tend to restrict myself by refusing to build BC's or Carriers when I play most campaign stuff. I get more out of it if I'm not just trying to hold everything off until I can A1 a control group of big boats.

sometimes even just amassing capital ships doesnt work in the harder missions. The enemy spell casters will just wreck you. Nothing like attacking a terran base and the cpu's 10 ghosts lockdown every single BC that you have and you get cleaned up and counter attacked.

edited September 2017
    sometimes even just amassing capital ships doesnt work in the harder missions. The enemy spell casters will just wreck you. Nothing like attacking a terran base and the cpu's 10 ghosts lockdown every single BC that you have and you get cleaned up and counter attacked.

True that. 'tis why I like flanking my stuff with a couple Science Vessels if I'm Terran (Irradiating ghosts never gets old), or Arbiters if I'm Protoss (The Intercepter swarm piling out of the Arbiter's cloak is pretty terrifying). But I'd be lying if I said that was foolproof to even the CPU's strategy. Pull that on Big Game Hunters vs. the CPU and they're like, "Oh cool here I have BC's too and 20 Valks. Enjoy them, I'm ramming them down your throat now."

Speaking of Valkyries, Day9 was reviewing each of the 3 races, and going over each unit, and he said Valkyries were terrible and too vulnerable, and I felt like maybe I'm dumb or something but, I disagree? They start off with 2 armor, and if you get a squad of 3-4 of them they will murder fleets of anything. And they build very fast and are pretty cheap for what they do. I'm just curious what might be the pro-circuit reasons for not using them. Is it the delayed movement while firing?

EDIT: I looked it up, apparently Fantasy used them quite a bit, and they're good vs. Zerg. So clearly, Day9, being a Zerg player, is just trying to breed a pool of players who can't fight a muta swarm! (No, not really)

Thawmus on
    My strategy on later Terran missions was always to build like 12 battlecruisers and have an army of SCV's following them to make repairs. Computer is too stupid to know to target your SCVs and if you attack move with the Battlecruiers, they usually dish out enough damage to kill swarms of Scourges before they hit.

My strategy on later Terran missions was always to build like 12 battlecruisers and have an army of SCV's following them to make repairs. Computer is too stupid to know to target your SCVs and if you attack move with the Battlecruiers, they usually dish out enough damage to kill swarms of Scourges before they hit.

I get a big kick out of the bug-zapping when they do that.

True that. 'tis why I like flanking my stuff with a couple Science Vessels if I'm Terran (Irradiating ghosts never gets old), or Arbiters if I'm Protoss (The Intercepter swarm piling out of the Arbiter's cloak is pretty terrifying). But I'd be lying if I said that was foolproof to even the CPU's strategy. Pull that on Big Game Hunters vs. the CPU and they're like, "Oh cool here I have BC's too and 20 Valks. Enjoy them, I'm ramming them down your throat now."

Speaking of Valkyries, Day9 was reviewing each of the 3 races, and going over each unit, and he said Valkyries were terrible and too vulnerable, and I felt like maybe I'm dumb or something but, I disagree? They start off with 2 armor, and if you get a squad of 3-4 of them they will murder fleets of anything. And they build very fast and are pretty cheap for what they do. I'm just curious what might be the pro-circuit reasons for not using them. Is it the delayed movement while firing?

EDIT: I looked it up, apparently Fantasy used them quite a bit, and they're good vs. Zerg. So clearly, Day9, being a Zerg player, is just trying to breed a pool of players who can't fight a muta swarm! (No, not really)

I would say valkyries are quite good, you just need at least 4-6 of them to really start mowing down mutalisks. The problem probably is actually they are a bit expensive, take a bit to build, and you need the armory + starport to get them. In 1 vs 1, I'd imagine it's a big investment. Four valkyries is 1k mineral and 500 gas. You can get 10 goliaths for that.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I saw a TvZ where the terran made a single valk to keep mutas from picking off marines at the edge of the pack, seemed pretty useful but I don't think it's something that will ever be massed if only because the zerg can switch more easily than T

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Those are good points. I suppose it is better as a support unit for Goliaths or Marines rather than a prowling squad like Corsairs can be. Plus Corsairs have an upgrade to expand their ability in the late game, and Valks don't.

edited September 2017
    Do you guys know about increasing the game speed? I just found out about it today. If you host a game on LAN or battle.net with "#x1.5" all the way to "#x5" in the game name you increase the game speed, like in replays. I played a 4v4 game with computers and a 32 min game was complete it under 10 min on the x4 speed. It plays like the x8 speed on replays. On the x5 setting, i was killed in 18 seconds. That one plays like x16 speed in replays. I played a real melee game at x1.5 speed, and it was interesting, but everything was off because it was so much quicker.

TelMarine on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Just fired this up for the first time in, what, twelve years? Fifteen?

Bad news: The free edition is old as hell and there's a ton of dumb little things I'm having to work around (you can rally a worker to resources but they won't automatically mine).

Good news: I made it through Terran 5! Terran 3 always made me panic and turn on cheat codes so this is incredibly satisfying.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Well, the Remastered version doesn't have automine EITHER so

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017

Bad news: The free edition is old as hell and there's a ton of dumb little things I'm having to work around (you can rally a worker to resources but they won't automatically mine).

Good news: I made it through Terran 5! Terran 3 always made me panic and turn on cheat codes so this is incredibly satisfying.

Nothing changes with Remastered except the graphics and being able to customize hotkeys.

Aside from those two changes, everything else, including worker rallies, maximum selection of 12 units, no multiple building selections, and awkward unit pathfinding, is unchanged from the original Brood War.

Dhalphir on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Nothing changes with Remastered except the graphics and being able to customize hotkeys.

Aside from those two changes, everything else, including worker rallies, maximum selection of 12 units, no multiple building selections, and awkward unit pathfinding, is unchanged from the original Brood War.

Everything but the worker rallies is stuff I already knew about from watching Day[9]'s recent series. Also I seem to only be able to make one location control group as opposed to three.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Location? You mean control groups for buildings?

Or do you mean hoy keying a map location?

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra

My brother and I found a coop campaign that is actually just a rework of the OG campaigns but made for 2 players. It's....hard. Terran 3 was pretty rough, they just keep slamming you constantly. Terran 5 was probably the most difficult we've done so far because they really beefed up the units you're up against, and in the meantime you're trying to take out their base with....wraiths. Terran 6 was just fun, one of us focused on the objective while the other one focused on keeping us alive and taking expansions.

Looking forward to the rest of the campaigns. I anticipate the Zerg missions will be ridiculously difficult given what they've done thus far.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    That sounds super cool!

Here's where I found it: http://www.moddb.com/mods/starcraft-coop-campaign

Note: I haven't found one for the Brood War campaigns. I imagine the triggers for the Brood War campaigns were too much to be fiddled with. A lot of those openings are really complex and cool.