As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things to do while waiting in the Queue...

UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
edited August 2017 in PAX Australia
Hey all,

The last few years at PAX Aus have been great but, as I having been going solo waiting in the line can be pretty boring some times and I was wondering what some good tips/things to bring might be to spice the wait up a bit?

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
steam_sig.png

UseR2006 on

• Options
    Dark KingDark King Registered User regular
    I always bring my Kindle so I have something to read.

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    3DS street passing for me.

Although there will probably be a few Switch's there this year. Might just make sure I've got my joycons on me...

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • Options
    I have usually brought a book (hardcover tome) with me but I want to try and not be so insular in the queue this year, how do people normally respond with random people asking if they wanna play a game of something or other?

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I bring games like Cards Against Humanity, Joking Hazard, Fluxx, Red Flags, and whatnot to play with in line. It helps you meet new people :D
    UseR2006 wrote: »
    how do people normally respond with random people asking if they wanna play a game of something or other?

They either tell me sure or they tell me no thanks

RILMS on
    OtyHMcu.jpg
  • Options
    SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    There's always my 3DS, I get so many streetpass hits during PAX. I keep up with twitter to see whats happening, check my schedule, and try and play a game or two of something handheld and easy to teach. There are a number of games designed around that very concept.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/555112/best-games-play-while-waiting-line

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Spaceteam is a lot of fun, its available free for IOS and Android and supports cross-platform play, so basically anyone with a phone can play it.

• Options
    TheHairyGamerTheHairyGamer Registered User regular
    I have usually brought a book (hardcover tome) with me but I want to try and not be so insular in the queue this year, how do people normally respond with random people asking if they wanna play a game of something or other?

As someone who tends to go to PAX alone myself, I really enjoy when someone talks to me while we are waiting for something. I mean we are in line for the same thing so odds are we have at least that in common.

• Options
    Tharandras_realTharandras_real Registered User new member
    There are a tonne of board games available on iOS that are great as either a pass'n'play or BYD that are great for queues.

Lords of Waterdeep in my experience one of the best.

• Options
    PDP11PDP11 Registered User regular
    how do people normally respond with random people asking if they wanna play a game of something or other?
    RILMS wrote: »
    I bring games like Cards Against Humanity, Joking Hazard, Fluxx, Red Flags, and whatnot to play with in line. It helps you meet new people

I would have thought playing CAH when surrounded by children in the Queue Room was a bit courageous.

• Options
    MezrellaMezrella Registered User new member
    Or.... You could just bring some boxes and start a new religion... Worked well last year, although the boxes were provided.

• Options
    mizhannimizhanni Registered User new member
    Love the idea of playing cards against humanity or any sort of game in a queue! And def a good way to meet people. But as mentioned- seeing as the queue is for a specific thing- chances are people around have something in common to chat about.

• Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions and replies everyone! I feel a whole lot better about asking people If they are interested in playing something while waiting in the queue. (whether I get the courage to do it on the day or not is another thing entirely).

I am thinking about grabbing a 2DS XL for the StreetPass stuff, what games are pretty popular?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Animal Crossing and Mario Kart I guess.

I mainly just use the streetpass for playing the built in games and completing the puzzles (one piece per pass, not always a new piece). There's a ton of them now, you could try to see how many you could complete by the end of the show.