As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Poké] PKMN - Comfy And Easy To Wear

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    ~ Santalune Arena (Santalune Gym) ~

'They're going to use their Special Move,' Aleksandr thought.

Meanwhile, Volnoy thought, 'BRING IT, SPOOK!' while snarling his defiance. His vocalisations were a much less intimidating, "Bui!"

The twisting shadows and overpowering sudden darkness fall through the Sea Weasel and into the ground around him, rejuvenating the Phantump while turning the Ace Trainer's partner into something decidedly non-Water-type.

Both trainer and pokémon recover quickly, blinking in surprise in an endearingly similar manner, before exchanging glances. 'That's it? That can't be it. There's some weird Ghost'mon BULLSHIT just waiting to happen here,' Aleksandr told himself. To his Pokémon, however, he cries a command.

"Don't let up, your mobility may be hampered by those vines. Keep close, and work at its defenses, Volnoy. Crunch that creep!

Volnoy obliges, but only after taking a moment to try and shake off the moss and foliage, while slicking the daisy atop his head back with a splash of water. MAN is that flower an absolute insult to all that is a sleek, perfect example of Sea Weasel prowess.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Day 1:
    ~ Visitor's Center (Trainer's School) ~ :whistle:
    Beatrix

A lot of red flags were waving inside the young detective’s mind at the old man’s account. Interpol agents don’t DO “routine check-ins”, much less handing out presentations for local schools. That’s what local law enforcement does, after all.

Not to mention the subject material. Not that Bea herself could criticize; this DOES help the kids avoid the pitfalls and perils on the dangers of the Pokémon underground. So best case scenario: Shirley's heart was in the right place trying to inform the local children about the dangers of criminals. At worst? A cover up; a devious way for her to gather information without being too invasive.

Just what kind of game are you playing, Shirley?

After writing down Shirley’s number (as well jotting down some notes on additional visitors; can’t be too careful after all), Beatrix gazes at the stack of paper. This could be the break I was looking for, she thought to herself. “Oh, don’t worry. I will make sure she receives them. Do not worry about sending them to Interpol. As for being old fashioned, I do not think there is anything wrong with it. It carries a certain… charm towards a small town err... city, such as this.”

With notepad and papers in hand, she stows them into her trenchcoat. “Thank you for your co-operation… My apologies. I seem to have forgotten asking for your name, Mr…?” She was embarrassed. You didn’t ask for his name first?! What kind of hackneyed, deplorable detective are you, Beatrix ‘Irene’ Spencer?! Her inner critic called out.

It was at that moment a desk drawer could be heard hitting the floor with a bombastic THUD, followed by the clattering sounds of many pieces of stationery strewn about.

Good news: Seems Moriarty has found an unopen drawer with what appeared to be Poketoffees (and immediately opened it), giving Bea a short reprieve from her inner derisions.

Bad news: It turns out they were nothing more than fancy looking erasers. Not to mention how the old man would react.

Moriarty was merely dissapointed. These things looked chewy, but they had no taste at all. What kind of idiot stores flavorless Poketoffees in a drawer?!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 2:
    ~ Santalune Gym ~
    :whistle:
    Beatrix

Beatrix was sightseeing the gym’s interiors, most notably the gym’s photo gallery. Moriarty was busy chewing what appeared to be a Poketoffee and relaxing on his partner’s shoulders. Vance waddles around, staying close by to his trainer’s side (though he still prefers a somewhat loner distance from Bea). He eyes any opponent, be they trainer or Pokemon, with such a scowl as to indicate swift retribution should anyone other than Bea dare touch him.

Perhaps it was due to some minor homesickness on her part (or partly because she was still tired from last night’s training), but the gallery reminded her of all those art exhibitions hosted by Castelia City’s own Bug Gym leader, Burgh.

Is being some sort of creative artist a THING for Bug Gym Leaders? I wonder if Burgh and Samuel ever knew one another, or if they have even met each other before. I wonder what works of art those two could create if they put their heads together and started brainstorming.

Such a train of thought was travelling through her mind until it came to a screeching, cacophonic halt thanks to the rumblings of her Pokedex. It seems she received a message:
    Jim wrote:
    Hey guys, gonna be battling the Gym Leader at ten! Be there or you'll miss me becoming Jim Leader!

Jim Leader…

That… was pretty clever.

“Oh hey! Looks like Jim’s the first to challenge the Gym Leader! How’s about we go check on him and cheer him from the sides?” Bea asks her team mates.

Vance merely gives a ‘whatever’ grunt, and Moriarty could not care any less. He squawks:
    64px-BT198.png I mean, it’s just some lousy bug Pokémon. What’s a superior bird likes me gots to worry ‘bout?

Incorrectly assuming the squawking as a hearty ‘yes’, Bea starts making herself enthusiastic, even stifling a yawn in the process. “Then it’s settled! Let’s make our way to the Arena right now! If we’re lucky, we might be able to nab a seat for you Vance! Let’s cheer a fellow trainer together!”

Not to mention gather some info on the Gym Leader proper, she thought to herself.

She makes her way to the room where the droning sounds of cicadas could be heard.

TiamatZ on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    ~ Training Room (Santalune Gym) ~

Richter pouts a little at Deb's jab at his coat.
    I mean it has pockets, is inflammable, protects your other clothes and is the closest socially acceptable thing to wearing a cape.
    "Hey. Lab coats are cool.", he mouths.

He looks back up a bit confused.
    "Hmm? Not weak to Grass?
    Oh! The Energy Ball!"

Richter brightens back up as he enthusiastically explains himself.
    "Perhaps not not weak to Grass, but more strong against light!
    Or at least I think so.
    The crystals seemed to work against the energy ball, so I expect they'd work against less verdant energy types as well!
    We're just lucky that your bug wasn't packing a more conventional Razor Leaf or other ranged Grass attack.
    As for Water..."

Richter scratches his head for a minute, whilst North continues to rumble against him.
    ".. best I can guess he's an Island Pokémon type?
    I'm not sure. I've not been to the Alolan islands."

North:
    The sun reflects off the ocean again today.
    North is warm and content as the sunlight warms his rocky body.
    The speed boats are on the water again, exciting tourists.
    North is out there on a hull.
    The spray's familiar sting contrasts with the reflected warm light and the ocean breeze.
    The land flashes past as the passengers call out.

North continues to snore.

edited September 2017
    "So... are you with the gym?", Richter continues.
    "I guess I'm with a fairly standard trainer wave coming out from Lumiose or however you say it City.
    I should be challenging the Gym Leader here at some point.
    I don't suppose you've already challenged them?
    You seem confident enough."

Meanwhile, Keyanu is quickly tiring of the cool-headed trainer.
    What's the point of being angry at someone who doesn't even have the courtesy to blink at your efforts?

Keyanu starts using [Flash] behind Richter.
    Repeatedly.
    As bright as it can go.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Day 2:
    Santalune Gym

Richter's Pokédex buzzes as Jim's message comes through.
    He groans. "Jim Leader. Right. How many gyms are there exactly in this circuit?"
    Best to nip this in the bud then
    Jim wrote:
    Hey guys, gonna be battling the Gym Leader at ten! Be there or you'll miss me becoming Jim Leader!
    *becoming the Gym Leader
    - Richter

North rolls his eyes at Richter.
    "Whaat? It's too easy! It'd be like someone asking me for directions and then I yell GO NORTH and throw you into their face.
    At least put some effort in.
    Fine."
    Jim wrote:
    *becoming the Gym Leader
    - Richter
    Sure. We'll bee there.
    - Richter
    I should probably stop Bugging Gym.
    - Richter

"There's got to be one about letting him prepare for the battle.

Ooh perhaps"
    At least until he's dung with his beetle.
    - Richter

An irritated Keyanu starts slowly rubbing his metallic ornaments around his body, emitting a high pitched whine.
    "Ok, ok. I'll stop.
    I had hoped to get some training in before our battle, but I guess we just committed to watching Jim's.
    Perhaps the Gym Leader will use the same Pokémon for our battle later on?
    I wouldn't have thought so though.

Maybe we can skip out halfway through."

discrider on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Oh boy, my players are starting to double post.

Internally:
    7NL2IMv.gif

Marshmallow on
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    ~Santalune Gym~

"Then my apologies regardless, ma sœur.", Alex says, artfully bowing as he does so

"I assure you, there will be no further, uh...funny business"

I hope

With that, he turns his back to the secretary of the gym, looking to lock eyes with another trainer.

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    NO MOM THEY'RE NOT CREEPY AT ALL.

tumblr_inline_oedduuQ10k1rd1p76_540.png
    tumblr_inline_oeddv4SaiL1rd1p76_540.png
    tumblr_inline_oeddvarsqb1rd1p76_540.png

ew9y0DD.png
    Kids are cruel, Jack.

Richter

Deb's eyes slowly glaze over as Richter explains North's unusual talents, but she resurfaces in time to respond to his second spate of questions.

"Yeah, I'm a student. Figured with two Bug Types to start, could be worth my while to spend some time training at a Bug Gym, learn some ropes before I branch out into other Types."

She holds up hand to shade her eyes as Keyanu continues going mildly berserk, periodically bursting into bright flashes of light.

"Uh, I've battled the Leader, Samuel, a few times. Pretty chill guy, I think he came from Kanto or something."

Forgot to add in previous post:

Richter gains 3 Trainer Exp!
    - North receives 3 Exp!
    - Keyanu receives 4 Exp!

Keyanu is now Loyalty: Neutral!
    Congratulations on your Klefki deciding to tolerate you!

~ Visitor's Center (Trainer's School) ~ :whistle:
    Beatrix

"My name? Oh, apologies," he says, offering a dry hand to shake. "Je m'appelle Théodore, a pleasure to meet you, Miss Stone."

The clatter of the desk drawer draws the man's attention, and wakes up the snoozing Bunnelby, which sits up and rubs at its eyes. "Goodness, what a troublemaker," Théodore notes, the twinkle of amusement in his eyes showing he merely jesting. "Rose, could you lend a hand?" he calls to the Bunnelby, which uses its oversized ears to push itself to its feet, before tentatively hopping towards the mess, apparently ready to use its strong, dextrous ears to shovel the spilled erasers back into the drawer.

~ Santalune Gym ~
    Alex

The Secretary, Holly, accepts Alex's apology with a firm nod, before turning back to her work (and/or procrastination).

Shot Down: +2 Trainer Exp!

Looking around, it seems like some of the trainers have wandered away from the foyer since he last looked around. Lunchtime maybe? Afternoon snacktime?

Anyway, the ones who remain seem to be the more self-absorbed type, less interested in looking around for eyes to meet and more in their Pokemon or Pokedexes. One lad, spattered with what you really hope is juice or jam, is working closely with Shuckle and some berries, lending some strong evidence towards that hope. Perhaps having abjectly weird and amorphous Pokemon could be a conservation starter for the Ditto-training Breeder.

Elsewhere, another trainer rests on the bench with his eyes, accompanied by a Pokemon covered in a cloak of what looks like discarded bits of paper - crumpled receipts, scraps of newspaper, and even a few playing cards. The cloak covers most of the Burmy's body, except for a dark face peering out and a pair of antennae coiled out the top. Maybe a battle could stave off this trainer's apparent boredom.

In a corner of the room, a girl is cross-legged on the floor, feeding a Dwebble bits of Pokemon chow that it munches with a sound like grinding rocks. A battle might be just the thing to work off some excess energy for a freshly rejuvenated Pokemon.

edited September 2017
    ~ Santalune Arena (Santalune Gym) ~ :whistle:
    Aleksandr

The verdant-styled replacements to the Sea Weasel's form are firm enough to stand up to Volnoy's shaking, though he can feel its elemental grasp slowly slipping. If he can hold out for a few more rounds, he'll be back to his old, rootin' tootin' Water/Fighting-ery self.

Until then, he'll have to put up with the Phantump's laughter, and unsubtle jeers. Or maybe not...

Leaping forward at the chuckling Ghost Type, Volnoy brings his terrible jaws to bear. Something seems... wrong though.

Volnoy tried to use Crunch...

But instead used Mildew Munch!
    Phantump took 1 Damage!
    It's not very effective...
    Phantump's Defense fell!

Instead of a vicious snap of Dark Type empowered teeth, Volnoy's attack ends up being more of a nibble, causing spots of blackened mildew to sprout outward from where he bit at his hovering Phantump. While it still seems to harm his foe's defenses, everything else about it is all wrong.

Volnoy is Grass Type!
    (2 Turns Remain)

"Oh, I forgot to mention," Samantha calls over smoothly. "Your Moves are Grass Type now, too. At least..." she adds carefully. "...The ones you've already used. I hope you kept back something good, or this is going to be embarrassing."

"Hora, don't give them any room to wriggle out of this one. No tricks, just claws!"

Nodding in hesitant agreement, the shadows around the shifty Phantump come to life, lashing out at the confused Buizel.

Hora used Shadow Claw!
    Volnoy took 2 Damage!
    Phantump shifted to Trees!

Disappearing in the midst of the commotion, the Ghost Type reappears in a puff of darkness, lazily weaving around the trunks of the trees as the last of its conjured claws fade away.

Battle Status
    Cliff
    - Volnoy [ ||---­-- ]
    He's Grass Type Now
    Trees
    - Phantump [ ||||----­--- ]
    -2 Df
    Pool & Waterfall
    - Empty

Marshmallow on
    edited September 2017
    Another thing I forgotted: Ice Punching the Phantump to the Cliffs was supposed to do an extra point of damage.
    Edit: Now fixed, and Battle Statuses updated.

Marshmallow on
    That looks more like ditto hearsay to me. I don't see any labcoats or microscopes.

Another thing I forgotted: Ice Punching the Phantump to the Cliffs was supposed to do an extra point of damage.
    Isn't it Ice Blade?

I literally saved this on my phone yesterday and forgot that I was going to post it here. I love the one about laughing dying their disguise
    That looks more like ditto hearsay to me. I don't see any labcoats or microscopes.
    Pokedex entries are verified, peer-edited sources, free of the editorial biases of mad fucking scientists

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    TiamatZ wrote: »
    Isn't it Ice Blade?
    Look buddy, all I see is Physical/Offensive/Ice and from there I make wild assumptions. Sue me.

Pokedex entries are verified, peer-edited sources, free of the editorial biases of mad fucking scientists
    pfffffft
    I'm pretty sure pokedexs are filled out by ten year old kids and pokedex entries thus have no rigour at all.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    pfffffft
    I'm pretty sure pokedexs are filled out by ten year old kids and pokedex entries thus have no rigour at all.
    Agreed, because otherwise I have to have Eli slowly consume the souls of Jim, the rest of the party, and all his opponents. I didn't sign up to play as a serial killer so....

edited September 2017

An errant beep from Aleksandr's Pokédex catches his attention, and he quickly scans the readout while still hanging from the elevator railing.

"Mildew Munch...?" he says incredulously, before flipping through Volnoy's vital statistics with a growing sense of confusion. He looks at the two warped entries, and thumbs over them once or twice, to see if it's some sort of glitch, but the instrument seems to be displaying correctly. Then he notices the change in typing, and chews on his lip. He makes some rapid calculations, his eyes flicking from stat to stat, then across at the field of battle again.
    tenor.gif

"Volnoy, get into the trees and use Mildew Munch again-"

At this, Volnoy turns back, moss and flower swaying with far more cute factor than the Buizel can handle. He spreads his paws in an angry shrug, and yells a frustrated "BUI?!?" in answer.

"Mildew Munch. Just Crunch it, then try and force it back to the clifftop with a-" the Sinnoh trainer looks down at the Pokédex screen as he swings back into the elevator platform. "Branch Lance."

The Buizel's eyebrows raise, his eyes widen, and his voice gets more aggressive and accusatory.

"Ice Blade, that's what their Special Move changed your Ice Blade to. Execute the combo, and do your best to dodge any counterattack." He takes a deep breath, then yells, "I BELIEVE IN YOU, VOLNOY. GO FOR THE KNOCKOUT."

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    ~ Santalune Gym - Day 1 ~

"Huh?"
    Richter turns around just in time to catch a full Flash of light to the face.
    "Oh jeez. One sec."

A quick shrug later, and there is soon a white lump pinned to the gym floor.
    Muffled clicking noises and infrequent bursts of light emanate from the heavy white fabric.
    "Don't knock the lab-coat.", Richter smiles, rubbing the spots from his eyes.

"Anyway, how'd you go against Samuel?
    Anything I should watch out for?"

Keyanu strains fruitlessly against the heavy cloth.
    It shouldn't be this heavy; it's just a dumb lab coat!

The white lump struggles slowly around the floor, dragging a dozing North along with it.

edited September 2017
    discrider wrote: »
    Keyanu strains fruitlessly against the heavy cloth.
    It shouldn't be this heavy; it's just a dumb lab coat!

Yeah, you're not the only one.

Marshmallow on
    edited September 2017
    ~ Visitor's Center (Trainer's School) ~
    Beatrix

“A pleasure to meet you, Mr. Theo…” was all Beatrix could utter before the man’s attention focused straight at Moriarty. “Oh dear, my apologies, Mr. Theodore. The Murkrow’s only been recently assigned to my person. You are right in that he’s kind of a trouble maker, but I have to admit it does give him a personality that i'm fond of…”

Moriarty takes a chance and tries to chew on one of them. Finding his previous hypothesis that these were indeed inedible (not to mention horrendously distasteful), he coughs it out, heckling the approaching Bunnelby with his frustrations.

“Well… sometimes.” Beatrix responds at the situation, her face slightly flushed with embarrassment.

The angry avian Pokémon decides to fly off, and perched himself back onto his partner’s shoulders. Let the big-eared beast have them! They taste horrible anyway!

Sighing, she pulls out a few toffees of her own from her bag, offering one to the ravenous looking black feathered fiend. “Alright, you win. Here.” Having believed it earned its victory, Moriarty gladly snags the confection from the young detective's fingers quickly, before chewing on the sweet, savoring it's fruity flavor.

The rest she hands to Theodore, even with the muffled objections suddenly seething from the Murkrow. “Apologies about all that. Here’s some for Rose. Not sure what flavour she’d like. Figured I’d give different flavours. I hope we haven’t been too much of a burden, Mr. Theodore?”

If there's no other business to attend to, Bea's gonna say her farewells and hustle out of there.

TiamatZ on
    ~ Santalune Gym (Day 2) ~

Having spread the word about the impending epic battle, he wanders over to the counter where the receptionist is sitting. She turns attentively to address him, but Jim decides instead to tap on the service bell.

Ding!

"Yes, sir, what can I do for you?"

Jim clears his throat enthusiastically. "I'm here for the battle." He taps a few times on her desk.

"What?"

"Yeah, the uhh... The Jim gym battle. I'm Jim. Where's the leader here? It's Fight o'clock. Let's do this."

edited September 2017
    - WILL Al and Volnoy stand a ghost of a chance against Samantha and her terrifying tyke?
    - WHO will be Alex's opponent in the ring?
    - WHEN will Jim's gym battle of gymnastic proportions ever start? Jiminy Kricketunes!
    - WHAT key revelations will Richter uncover from his defeated opponent?
    - WHY is Beatrix still in the Trainer's School?
    - WHERE is our narrator, the humble Marshmallow? Was it his addiction for delicious Rage Candy Bars that finally did him in?

- HOW will this all be resolved?!

Stay tuned, fellow readers/players! Same PKMN Time! Same PKMN Channel!

TiamatZ on
    edited October 2017
    The howl of the void has been strong, lately.

~ Santalune Arena (Santalune Gym) ~ :whistle:
    Aleksander

Utterly confused, Volnoy opts, as expected, to trust in the expertise of his trainer. Dashing from the cliff into the trees below, the Buizel tracks the meandering Phantump until he can position himself for another Crunch.

Volnoy tried to use Crunch...

But instead used Mildew Munch!
    Phantump took 2 Damage!
    Phantump's Defense fell!

Like before, Volnoy's lamentable state transmutes his attack into something else. Despite the disadvantage, the cracks in his opponent's defense seem to be multiplying. Even a move that would normally be marginally effective is starting to deal lasting damage to the Ghost Type's mildew-wracked stamina.

Volnoy is Grass Type!
    (1 Turns Remain)

Swooping imperiously at his dogged foe, the Phantump flicks out a hand to smear another broad swathe of bubbling toxin onto Volnoy, the purple goo tingling uncomfortably.

Hora used Toxic!
    Volnoy was Exponentially Poisoned!

"Oh my god. I said stick to your claws," Samantha says, deadpan, while her Phantump holds up its poisonous hand as if to indicate, technically, that was using its claws.

"You're doing this on purpose to upset me, aren't you? Hora, you dumbass."

Battle Status
    Trees
    - Volnoy [ ||---­-- ]
    He's Grass Type Now, ^2 Poisoned
    - Phantump [ ||--­----­--- ]
    -3 Df
    Cliff, Pool, & Waterfall
    - Empty

As before, Volnoy gets to experience the sensation of the contact poison ramping up, the purple blemishes seeming to take particularly ill effect on his leafy fins, as well as causing his head-daisy to wilt slightly.

Volnoy is Poisoned!
    Volnoy took 1 Damage!
    (2 turns remain)

On his last legs, the Buizel attempts to execute his trainer's second order. An Ice Blade, to hopefully finish this.

Volnoy tried to use Ice Blade...

But instead used Branch Lance!
    Phantump took 3 Damage!

As might be expected as this point, rather than conjuring up a short dagger of ice to drive his foe back, Volnoy's forearm instead grows a short spear of wood, wrapping around his paws for leverage before extending out into a lengthy spike marked with a handle of leaves along its length.

Ineffective or not, the Phantump, too, is on its last legs. Even if it had managed to stand up to Volnoy's strike, it wouldn't have been able to fight after being jousted into the cliffside, speared on the end of the Grass-Buizel's out-thrust lance.

Volnoy and Phantump were Shifted to Cliffs!
    Phantump took 1 Damage!

Its spectral essence decaying under the relentless spread of mildew and accumulated damage, the Phantump's stump helmet clatters hollow to the ground, where a line of red deftly captures it into the awaiting Pokeball Samantha is holding aloft.

Phantump Fainted! :whistle:

Aleksandr's opponent's shoulders heave with a sigh. "Well, I guess that's that."

No longer fully immersed in the battle, Aleksandr can finally hear the roar of the crowd. Well... not exactly a roar because it's maybe a couple dozen people, tops. But if the stands were full it would totally be a roar!

As it is, there's just a pretty manageable murmur of approval, with at least one person deciding to throw out a whistle, for the sound of the thing.

Furthermore, the Forest's Curse on Volnoy seems to be finally fading, returning the Buizel his loveable, Water/Fighting self, complete with Water and Fighting Moves. He is still horribly poisoned, however, so an Antidote, or at least a quick return to his Pokeball, should figure somewhere in the Sea Weasel Pokemon's immediate future.

Volnoy is no longer Grass Type!

Final Battle Status
    Trees
    - Volnoy [ |----­-- ]
    ^2 Poisoned
    - Phantump [ --­--­----­--- ]
    FAINTED
    Cliff, Pool, & Waterfall
    - Empty

Marshmallow on
    edited October 2017
    Richter

"Uh, alright I guess," Deb admits. "He's kind of an old-school trainer, but no slouch. He placed pretty high in the Kanto League, but as a Gym Leader it's kind of his job to take it easy on us trainers-in... uh... -training."

"Your first badge is really just to make sure you know how to give your Pokemon orders, that they know how to follow them, and that you have actually done any sort of actual training at all at some point in your career thus far. If you battle against him like you did against me, you've probably got that badge in the bag."

"I guess the main thing is to not let him Boost too much if you can help it. He's fond of Physical moves and Defenses, so Special Moves and Physically Defensive Pokemon should do well. Also, Bug Types obviously, so... Rocks, Fire, Flying, if you can swing any of those."

~ Visitor's Center (Trainer's School) ~
    Beatrix

"No trouble at all," Theo replies gracefully, accepting Beatrix's proffered toffees. "I do hope your investigation goes well, please let us know if the Trainer's School can be of any further help in the future"

That went well!

~ Santalune Jim (Day 2) ~
    Jim

"Mhm," the secretary replies hesitantly, scrolling on her phone. "Have you signed up for your slot already?"

A good question! Has Jim signed up for a Gym match, and if so was it for a single or double battle, and which Pokemon did he register?

Marshmallow on
    edited October 2017

"Sign up? Why of course, my dear lady! We signed up just yesterday!" He peeks over the desk to the calendar book he saw her check the other day. "See, I'm right in there!" He points directly at the 1000 timeslot, where a hastily scribbled name has been written down. "I can see why you might not recall, since you were looking particularly distracted yesterday when I dropped by. But I definitely did sign up, and for a double battle, no less! And then I winked as I was leaving, yes?" He offers her another wink while he points to his eye. "Like that!"

If the secretary has anything to say, it's not enough to stop an obviously eager Jim from plowing right on through the conversation. "And now I'm here, ready for the battle!" He places his two Pokeballs on the desk. "Litwick and Feebas, alias Elijah and Charlotte, ready for battle!"

Terrendos on
    edited October 2017
    Jim

Mystified, the woman checks the calender where, indeed, Jim is signed up for a match.

"Very well, you can proceed to the main arena, the Gym Leader will be ready for you," she says. "Don't forget your Pokemon," she adds, gesturing at the Pokeballs Jim had set down.

Marshmallow on

Aleksandr is already moving after giving Volnoy his commands, jabbing impatiently at the elevator button to set his platform down. Of course, it's not fast enough, and as the Sea Weasel ambushes Hora in the trees, Al vaults over the platform's side (again), and rapidly makes his descent towards the ground. [ Movement Token Spent ]

His sneakered feet hit the grass and gravel right as Volnoy's Branch Lance makes contact with the Phantump's body, and the Sinnoh trainer puts on a burst of speed as the combat carries both 'mons towards the cliffs. He dashes through the trees as Hora's helmet hits the ground, and is right there seconds before Volnoy suffers futher from the poison with a hastily shook up Antidote spray. Once the discolouration and nausea seem to be dealt with, he finds a potion spray, and an Oran berry to get the Buizel back on his feet.

"You did well, I was worried about the type disadvantage," he admits, applying the cooling spray to the worst of Volnoy's abrasions. Then he wraps up the orange fighter in a tight hug, and squeezes firmly, muttering something too quiet for most people to hear in his native tongue.

Volnoy hears, though. There's a mix of blush at his cheeks, and triumph in the grin that breaks out over his face, though.

Once that reaffirming squeeze is over, Aleksandr pushes himself to his feet, and looks over towards Samantha. He rests a hand lightly on his Buizel's crest. "Hora's an incredible fighter," he calls. "Very stubborn, much like his owner. I can see why he likes you."

ew9y0DD.png

Jim pockets his monsters, or rather, he pops the Pokeballs back into the clip on his belt. "All right then! See you around, distracted secretary lady!" He waves cheerfully and heads off in the direction of the gym's Main Arena, listening carefully for the sound of the right bug.

edited October 2017
    ~ Santalune Gym (Day 1)~

Richter groans. "Not poison? But I thought..."
    Deb slowly shakes her head quizzically.
    "Oh.. nevermind."

Richter flips out his Pokédex with half a mind to check.
    "Anyway, thanks again for the battle. Keyanu seems to have calm...", a billowing flashing shrieking banshee is currently patrolling the far side of the arena, "well. He was at least disciplined when attacking, so that's a start."

"... I don't suppose you want to exchange contact numbers?
    If you're doing the challenge as well, perhaps we'll meet up again some time?"

[Knowledge token spent]
    ... there is already a contact in Richter's Pokédex.
    "But why.. oh for.."
    It appears to be the lady's number from earlier.
    Alongside a failed evolution event.
    The Pokédex has helpfully recorded a picture of her Magnemite, North and Richter pulling the two apart with "MAGNETON evolution cancelled!" cheerfully emblazoned over the top.

Flying... Rock... Fire.
    Richter contemplates as he heads back to the Pokécenter.
    Well I guess Keyanu sort of floats. And Richter is sort of a rock if he'd bother to stand up once in a while.
    North is currently snoozing on Richter's backpack, whilst Keyanu floats along behind.
    Richter sighs, Playing to their strengths seems to be working so far.

Since the battle, Richter has taught North:
    Tremor - A ranged Ground type special move that spikes at the opponents location.
    Spark - A similarly ranged Electric special attack.
    Body Slam - An Offensive Physical Rock attack. Roughly. Richter isn't quite sure on the implications of causing mass incisions with North's glass mohawk (Dark?), and he's pushing it aside for now. It's also sadly basic?

Keyanu, on the other hand, hasn't really learned much.
    His time under the labcoat didn't help temper his anger, and in fact has seemed to increase it, lest he be muffled by thick white flannel.
    He has spent the afternoon shredding all targets that have been placed in front of him, and not rather testing out anything new. (SA -> 4)

Richter sighs once more as he locks the fifth and final padlock to the inside of his Pokécenter room door.

"As they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained.", a smile creeping back on his face, "And science waits for no man! Or is that time. Science should be directly proportional to time at least. And we still have time so..."
    Richter spreads his collected garbage across his bed and gets to work.
    "Keyanu, I think it's about time we gave you some new accessories!"

A purple mist starts flowing out from under the door, as an excited Klefki starts whistling in the night.

>>>>> Day 2

discrider on
    edited October 2017
    As she leaves the premises, she breathed a sigh of relief. That was probably the closest she’d been to nearly failing a simple undercover operation. Still, she had to give herself a pat on the back… or rather, Abby Stone’s. With these papers, Beatrix believed herself one step closer to uncovering Officer Shirley’s intentions with Santalune.

The sun had punched it card and was already starting to make itself scarce. The school children seemed to have the same idea, as nary a soul could be seen or heard.

She looks at the avian Pokémon perched on her shoulder. “You know… for a Sneaky Pokémon, you sure seem to find yourself in the spotlight, y’know?” The Murkrow merely shrugs.

“Tell you what… let’s pick up Vance on the way, and I’ll treat you to some candy, deal?”

The Murkrow responds with a hearty “Crow”. Seeing the city as it is, and the sun setting, she pulls out her notepad.

"Our heroine was catching up to her quarry. But as the sun was setting on Officer Shirley’s trail, another trail could be seen, stretching outwards to another, possibly even more imposing character. On the other side of town, a powerful figure was awaiting to test our heroine’s team. Beset on all sides, our heroine knows she must never relent, or give up. But one thing was certain: Our heroine was on borrowed time. Can she defeat the guardian of Santalune… AND unearth this conspiracy within Interpol?"

As she makes her way to the Pokémon Center, she rewrites every note she took regarding the investigation, making it readable (and more importantly, neat). Satisfied with her progress, she sends a message to Director Emma, with everything she managed to uncover in today’s investigations, including her notes as well as the papers she’d gather at the Trainer’s School.
    Hi Director Emma,

Please find enclosed (for your eyes only) information on the suspect Officer Shirley. Going to try and procure the card from the Pokémon Center tomorrow. See if it’s the real deal or not! Don’t worry! This message won’t self-destruct! But do keep a copy of this!

Private Beatrix, out!

With that out of the way, Beatrix gathers herself, and prepares herself for tonight’s excursion.

TiamatZ on
    edited October 2017
    ~ Route 3~:whistle:

By the time Beatrix hurriedly made her way to Route 3, the sky was turning into a peachy red haze. Off in the distance, the sun was rapidly descending on the horizon, its light casting dark shadows among the foliage and trees. Nary a person (or Pokémon, though the nocturnal ones were probably waking up by now) could be seen or heard, which was convenient for the woman. No people meant no interruptions. The young woman knew that she had little time left. With the gym battle happening tomorrow, now was the time to prepare herself mentally… AND her team physically for the incoming clash.

She spent the rest of the dusk finding a good place to set up a makeshift campfire, as well as gathering a collection of rocks, sticks and kindling of all shapes and sizes. As the corona of light dissipates out of sight, she had already changed into her comfortable tracksuit, and was setting the campfire alight. When she was done, the stars were long out, a series of twinkles inviting more of their kindred as the night’s tapestry was unwoven.

She released her two team mates. Vance was a bit more comfortable with the surroundings, whereas Moriarty merely casts a sigh of disappointment. The girl was in her tracksuit… in the middle of the night. He knows where this was headed. “Alright team, this is it!” She exclaims. “It’s the bottom of the ninth! The ball’s in our court! No time for fumbles! Something…err… something! And I’ve probably butchered my own motivation speech... err..." She quickly regains her composure "Long story short: Tomorrow’s our first Gym Leader battle! Gym Leaders are notoriously tough, so we gotta be at our best before we can take them on! Hence why we’re gonna be training tonight! And training sessions are better rewarded with… smores!” She indicates at the stack of marshmallows, biscuits and chocolate bars stashed near the fireplace.

The Dark Pokémon licked his beak at the delicious treat, whereas Vance merely looked at it with indifference.

Beatrix tuts. “Nuh uh, Moriarty! Not yet! Only AFTER we’re done here! Trust me, you’ll love ‘em. But right now… some pain before gain! Let’s get started!”

~ Training Mode engaged! ~ :whistle:

~ Moriarty's Training Montage ~
    She turns her gaze to the Dark type Pokemon. “Alright, you first…. Moriarty?” The young lass asked in surprise, as the Murkrow wasn’t in sight. It didn’t take too long for her to find him though, as he was perched on top of a tree, indignant at this charade. What could a ‘mon of his prodigious status possibly earn from this so called ‘training’ session?

Moriarty could not care any less. Maybe he could sneak in and nab some marshmallows for himself…

It was only when he starts hearing strange sucking or licking noises that his curiosity got the better of him. Beatrix was holding what appears to be a large, fist sized hard candy of sorts. “You know what this is, right?”

Of course the Dark type knew what that was. It was a Nimbasa City Jawbreaker. Nimbasa City was well known for its many theme parks and attractions. Due to its opulence, the city has spawned many delicacies and foodstuffs for the traveling gourmand. One of them being the hard candy Beatrix held within her hand, like some witch peering through its tough, milky white exterior. The candy itself, was a delicacy among tourists, and was infamous for its tough exterior… and its delicious, sweet, juicy center. Many had chewed and suckled on the candy for weeks (days for the most ardent) only to be rewarded a taste many believed to be pure bliss.

“Wasn’t easy to find, mind you. Had to visit nearly every candy store in Santalune City. Finally managed to get it under a steal.”

Of course Moriarty knew what it was.

And he DESPERATELY now wanted it!

“You want it?” She asks mockingly. She nestles it in between a number of rocks. “I’m sure a Murkrow of your superior talents could keep whacking at it, break it apart, and be gorging at the innards within minutes.”

Moriarty needed no urging from the young trainer. Landing next to the pile of rocks, he tries to claw them out of the way, peck them, and push them. ANYTHING at them.

They wouldn’t budge.

“Might I offer a solution to your predicament?” the young lass asks, as she had her Pokedex in one hand, and some strange disc in the other. That got the avian Pokémon’s attention. “Now, I read through the instructions, and according to this TM (for which I should thank Al more appropriately should I see him again) this should teach you Steel Wing. It’s a physical move that turns your wings an intense white, and allow you to cut things, as well as increasing one’s defensive capabilities. You ready for some learning?”

The Murkrow nodded. The sooner he’d learn this new move, the sooner he’d finish this pretense of a training session, and stuff himself on his well earned spoils.

“Alright, here we go…” With a flick of a switch, a quick, painless zap rips through the air between the gadget and the Darkness Pokémon.

“Whoa… you feel any different, Moriarty?” was her only response after that. She needn’t have bothered, as the Murkrow was already using the new move to effect, as though he was simply born with it. By the time Beatrix made her way to Vance, she watched as Moriarty’s wings glowed white, all the while chipping through each rock piece by piece.

As a popular science fiction character once said "Greed can be a powerful ally."

[Moriarty learns Steel Wing [Physical/Boosting (Def)/Steel]!
    [Moriarty increases Atk by 3!]
    [Moriarty increases Atk by 4!]

~ Vance's Training Montage ~
    Vance was a little more hesitant when Beatrix was going to teach him a move as well (who can blame him? He only met her this morning.) “Remember when we fought Anton’s Chespin today? He was using a move to bolster his endurance, making him somewhat tougher. Figured a tough guy like yourself would appreciate it. Bulk Up’s a pretty good move.” Vance reacts with a cautious nod. "If it'll help or anything, try to remember the move he used, and imagine yourself using it." With a whizz and a zap, part of the Pancham’s mind is overwritten. It soon understands the move as though he was an expert on it.

“However, just learning the move’s nothing if you can’t apply actual training to it, so let’s get started shall we?” She gestures to a fallen, moss covered tree, with a stack of rocks piled right next to it. She sits on one side, motioning the Playful Pokémon to do the same. By the time Vance was sitting quite comfortably, Beatrix had a pair of rocks in on hand, lifting them up at a decent pace. “Time to start getting acquainted with Endurance Training, Vance.”

“See, when you start to use weights at a rapid pace, it won’t just improve your strength,” she says as she flexes a muscle. “But that energy also carries over and improves your endurance activity,” she says, as she starts to lift the ‘weights’ even faster, without skipping a beat. “You see, my dad said its one of the best ways to ignite your metabolism. Just doing endurance training alone isn’t going to help much, since slowing down your metabolism just causes your muscles to eat away.” She hands the makeshift rock back to Vance. “In the end, it’s not how fast you can lift weights, it’s how consistent you can do it without breaking a sweat.”

“Now you try. Try using Bulk Up this time, while you keep lifting these rocks. If you think you got it down and want a tougher challenge, try a bigger rock. As for me…”
    The young woman searches for a large rock of her own. Having found one for her attempts, she takes a seat next to Vance. “Let’s see how long we can last.” She smiles, and starts at a vigorous pace.

Vance gives a poised “Cham!” before he returns to his own routine. Using Bea’s advice, the Pancham tries to buff himself up, all the while lifting the rock as fast as possible, miming Bea’s speed as best as he could catch up. Every time he saw the young lass go and pick up another, larger rock, he does the same, not wanting to be outdone. The Pancham was tired by the time each of them went through at least three sets of different sized rocks and boulders. Though she was barely out of breath, the Playful Pokémon was already panting. Though she admits it probably was too much for the Pancham (at least, in this stage of his evolution and overall power), Bea was nonetheless impressed with Vance. “Don’t worry tyke, by the time we’re Champions, you’ll be bench pressing a mountain.” She chuckled.

[Vance learns Bulk Up [Status/Boosting (HP)/Fighting]!
    [Vance increases HP by 3!]

~ Team Building Montage engaged ~ :whistle:

As the night passes by, the team was enjoying their little training session. Even Moriarty was overjoyed, for he actually managed to cut the jawbreaker (well, it was more of a large crack, but at least he could reach the delicious center without any trouble). After a well-earned break with smores (which Vance admits actually tasted good) the team resumed with their training.

For the rest of the night, Beatrix spent training her two partners in improving their dodge reactions, as well as educating them in the finer arts of evasion. As much as tonight was a good way to have some childish fun and goofing off with her team, Beatrix knew that both she and her partners had to take all of this seriously.

Her opponents certainly would.

[Moriarty increases Def by 2!]
    [Moriarty increases SDef by 2!]
    [Vance increases Def by 3!]

OOC Details:
    [Total Vance XP spent: 5 + 2 trainer = 7!]
    [Total Moriarty XP spent: 10 + 2 trainer = 12!]

>>>>> Day 2!

TiamatZ on
    ~ Santalune Gym~

Mustering up his confidence, Alex approaches the berry-splattered trainer and his shuckle, brandishing a pokeball as he does so.

"Beautiful patterning on the shell of your friend there!", he says gregariously, "I know of a berry farmer out in Sinnoh who breed tons of those little guys. I guess he came up with some type of medicine with their help?"

"Anyway, my name is Alex", he continues, "Would you care for a battle?"

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    I'm going to have to come up with some item rules (system-wise, and in-universe-wise). Also maybe do something about trait tokens wiping out Status effects, since that's a little strong. Maybe just make them reduce the length they persist or something, so you can still cancel them but its expensive or similar.

I also need to start keeping track of these NPCs. Gonna have to make up a wiki page when I'm bored/not lazy.

Aleksandr

Scrambling to reach his Buizel's side, Aleksandr makes it in time to administer some medicine to stave off the effects of the toxic bad-touch, and return his Pokemon to health.

"He's trash, but we're working on it," Samantha replies. "I'll have to do something about Toxic. You shouldn't be able to just shake it off in water like that. If he can get taken down by ineffective Moves, his defenses need boosting, too."

"If you liked those new Moves, let me know. I could make them permanent. For a price," she adds as her elevator takes her to the floor.

No one seems intent on accompanying or interacting with the young girl as she moves to leave, although Aleksandr himself seems to have a small crowd below waiting to congratulate him, or comment on the battle.

He gets the feeling Samantha isn't terribly popular here, though considering her attitude and precociousness, that's not all that hard to countenance. On the other hand, having handed her her only defeat thus far, that may make him a very minor celebrity of some sort, so the Ace Trainer has that going for him.

Aleksandr gained 3 Trainer Exp!
    - Volnoy gained 7 Exp!

Richter

"It's... actually a little endearing, maybe," Deb allows, following the Klefki's triumphant tantrum around the room. "A lot of energy, a lot of personality. Channel all that in the right direction and it'll be a hell of a fighter."

Asking after her number, Deb readily agrees. "Sure. I'm not actually in the Challenge this year, but I'm still in training so I'll be around and about. Definitely going to be watching some of the Gym matches this year, so let me know when you're scheduled for one and I'll try to get a seat if I happen to be nearby."

Richter does indeed seem to have somehow picked up some contact data in that happenstance meeting earlier.
    Trainer ID: 1▓34'); DR░P T◓BLE Tr▓iner░D;--
    Name: M◓l░ss░ W▓lb▒rn
    Picture: A little garbled, though clear enough to vaguely recognize the lady from earlier.

Weird, the rampant magnetism from the failed evolution might have corrupted things a bit. The contact number seems okay though.

~ Santalune Gym ~
    Alex

"Dondre," the speckled trainer replies, introducing himself while offering a hand, after wiping it clean with a rag thankfully.

"We make jam, not medicine," he says brightly. "Less healthy, more tasty. Also maybe more messy: work on that problem after getting tasty best it can be."

Wiping the front of his shirt with a slimy hand, he considers Alex's challenge. "Can battle," he says ambivalently. "Breaktime, Arthur? See if jam helps fight?" he asks his odd Pokemon, which chirps, apparently in the affirmative.

"Okay! Let's battle."

edited October 2017

Aleksandr nods as Samantha makes her way to the ground, then changes the gesture to a headshake as she makes an offer of permanancy. "No thank you, I do not think Volnoy would appreciate the daisy."

"BUI!" is the instant reply. In the negative, too.

"Hora's defenses are strong. That is where Volnoy's weakness lies, his strength is quite literally his strength. Overwhelming speed and power. Toxic seems best used against tougher targets, the Shadow Claw did most work for Hora, I feel. Your special move, though. That was amazing to witness. We don't have anything like that," he admits, pausing to scratch around the base of his Buizel's crest, affectionately. "I'll keep an eye out for when you decide to take the challenge." He then pushes himself to his feet, and offers Samantha a hand. "Good battle. Hora's a monster in the arena." He does spare a glance for the forming crowd, and offers a small smile while he converses with Samantha.
    Quick question! The achievement at the start, is that XP for Aleksandr or Volnoy? Also, you can't increase your trainer stats at all, right?

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    edited October 2017
    Jim

"It's... Holly," the secretary says morosely, while Jim stalks off in search of fame and victory.

Following the buzzing of a cicada deeper into the Gym, Jim finds the droning sound slowly drowned out itself by a recognizable tune... :whistle:

Pushing, finally, through the double doors into the arena proper, Jim finds the way to the elevator, that will carry him up to the field-side box he'll command his Pokemon from, lined in carpet and velvet ropes, bright lights above flash and spin as he steps in and a booming voice carries magnificently over the speakers suspended above.

"From Alola! Jiiiiiiiiim...

Veidt!"

The audience roars, cameras flash. In his first glimpse of the field he'll be battling on, the Junior Trainers see a thin, unstable looking tower thrusting out of the center of the arena. A ruinous, craggy steeple, the illusion of crumbling walls and fallen bricks allowing for several gaping apertures to allow Pokemon to take the battle inside (and for the cameras to properly capture the action within).

His opponent, a mere shadow in the harsh lights, stands above the frivolity and excitement, awaiting his Alolan challenger to take their place on the other side of the field - A man with long, dark hair, swathed in martial arts robes and the wide, pleated trousers of traditional Kanto.

Marshmallow on
    edited October 2017
    Kay wrote: »
    Quick question! The achievement at the start, is that XP for Aleksandr or Volnoy? Also, you can't increase your trainer stats at all, right?
    Whichever, I suppose. Volnoy was the one that technically earned it with his (in)action, but up until now Achievement Exp was assumed to go to the Trainer.

You can increase your Trainer Traits, just not with any sort of Exp. You do it by trading a rank of Voltage for it (you will gain additional voltage throughout the game, primarily by defeating Gym Leaders).

So if you wanted to increase Physique from 1 -> 2, you'd reduce your Voltage from 2->1. No exponential costs there, it's always one-for-one.

EDIT:
    I have attempted to update my Secret Base with current character stats and Exp expenditures. If you could check over your character when you all get a moment, and correct me if I've made any mistakes, that would be great.

Marshmallow on
    edited October 2017
    Beatrix – P [][] /K [] /M- /N[] / V [][]
    Moriarty – 8/8
    Vance - 8/8

~ Day 2 ~
    ~ Santalune Gym ~
    :whistle:

Standing outside, impressed by the visuals of this large, green mansion in front of her, Beatrix could not help but write a blurb on her notepad:

"Standing like a valiant knight, our heroine was poised to enter the beast's lair. Nay, to call the person inside a beast would be an insult. For inside the fortress stood a proud Pokemon Master, a ruler and wizened sage of the insect kingdom. There he (or is it a she?) awaits the heroine, overlooking the field of battle, preparing to judge her in his/her own way. Our protagonist goes in... driven, spurred on by her own dedication. However, will she come out triumphant, like that of a Leavanny finally shedding her old self and embracing her new evolution... or be cursed to forever remain a struggling Swadloon?"

Walking inside, she makes her way to the front desk. The young woman introduces herself to the secretary, a warm, inviting smile on her lips. "Hi there! Name's Beatrix Spencer. I'd like to challenge the gym leader today. If possible... er.... Miss?" The secretary looks back at her. Satisfied there wasn't a Pokemon next to the newcomer to harry her, she responds in kind, sans a smile. "Holly. Holly would do just fine, Ms. Beatrix." She looks back at her calendar book. "Seems we're booked for the whole.... oh wait."

She points a finger halfway down today's schedule. "There was a trainer from Johto who booked for the 12 'o clock noon battle... called earlier this morning... had to cancel the match on account of a... 'bug' he caught. Heh." The secretary allowed herself slight chuckle at the joke. "The trainer apparently got struck with flu. I can slot you in there if that's not a problem for you?"

Beatrix grew ecstatic. "That would be great! Thank you!"

"And what format would you like to register for? Single battle? Double battle? And which Pokemon will you enter?" Holly asks. Releasing her two 'mons, her trusty Murkrow pops out from one and perches on Bea's shoulder. From the other a very serious looking Pancham is released, and it looks around with a stern gaze. "One Murkrow and one Pancham. Oh, and make it a Double Battle!" Time to see how these two work together, hope last night's training did the trick, she thought to herself

Holly gives her a quick scan, before she writes down all of Bea's details in the noon timeslot. "Oh, that reminds me, but is there a place where me and my team could hang out? Someplace quiet would do, thank you very much." the young detective asks.

"Just head left, my left mind you, and you should arrive at our Galerie de photos, the Photo Gallery. You can't miss it. If you get lost, just listen to the sound of grasshoppers." Holly points to the hallway to the right. Beatrix nods, and starts making her way to the Gallery.

Satisfied when the girl was out of sight, Holly looks back at the desk, suddenly wondering why there was a piece of candy lying on it.

And the rest was/is/will forever be history...

OOC:
    I'm going under the assumption everyone else has already booked a gym leader battle (hence why the calendar's been booked full).

TiamatZ on
    ~ Santalune Arena ~

Yes. Yes. This is it. This is exactly what he's waiting for. The lights. The crowd. The cheers. All of it.

If the baseline Jim is overly exuberant, this is something else entirely. He waves to the crowd, throwing up the widest smile he can manage without looking like a crazy person. As the people spot him, and the cheers grow, he spins slowly around to appreciate the whole crowd. From here, with all the noise and no microphone, his voice would never be heard, so he puts all his charisma into his body language instead.

After a few seconds of playing to the crowd, he strolls confidently to the platform and pushes the ascent button. As it slowly climbs into battle position, he pushes the mute on the platform's mic and calls out both his Pokemon. Both Eli and Lotty land on the platform and he kneels down to address them privately.

"Okay guys, this is it. This is the Big Time." He indicates the cheering crowd. "But I don't want you to worry about that. I'm not going to tell you that this is gonna be a piece of cake, or even that I'm sure we're gonna win. When you get to this level, there's no guarantees. But what I'm gonna say is that I'm proud of you. Both of you. Eli, you've really turned up the heat these last few days. Lotty, we haven't been teamed up very long, but I'm amazed how far you've come in just this short time."

He puts a calming hand on each of them, on whatever the closest thing they have to a shoulder."I want you to know that there's no other team I'd rather have my back. There's no other Pokemon I'd rather have than you two right here. Win or lose, let's just get out there, hang loose, and have some fun. Okay?"

"Liii!"

"Baasss."

"Great."
    Jim stands up and switches off the mute as the tower finishes it's climb. "Alright team, let's go! Battle positions!" He turns to address his opponent as both Pokemon jump down to the field. "Alola! Nice to meet you! Looks like a lot of great trainers and spectators came out to see a show, so let's give them one! Let's have an amazing battle, one for the record books!" He shouts in a friendly, yet confident, way.

~ Santalune Gym - Day 2~

Richter flows into the main amphitheater, allowing himself to be guided by the crowds.
    Or rather, having to follow the crowds as he'd elected to pick up some earplugs on the way to the Gym.
    Between the incessant chirping of the rooms and Keyanu's high pitched screeching in battle, it seemed like a good investment.

Finally entering the main arena, Richter removes said earplugs and the brewing din hits him like a freight train.
    It seems like most everyone in the town is here today. As well as wandering vagrants like themselves.
    Perhaps that desk lady cues up all the challengers to take on the Gym Leader on the same day?
    Richter smirks as a mean thought crosses his mind, but no. The crowd doesn't appear to contain any signs of rotten fruit. They're not all here to get revenge at some hastily broadcast pun.

Walking up to near the top of the seating, Richter wonders briefly if the rest of the troupe of trainers were sitting together.
    The arena is nearing capacity at the moment however, and not being able to immediately see them Richter settles into a seat towards the Gym Leader's side of the field.

Pulling out his notebook, Richter opens up a clean page and then digs around in his pockets for something to write with.
    Retrieving a small piece of charcoal, he hastily sketches out the field, complete with spooky candle ghost and fish with stink lines coming off it.
    "I'm not sure how much of anything we'll see up here guys.", Richter mutters, squinting a bit.
    "I might have to get some binoculars at some point if these arenas always wind up being this large."
    North clinks a bit, as he proffers any of his fine array of 100% certified organic head-grown sharp glass columns, whilst seated on Richter's lap.
    "Yeah, thanks. I'll just gouge my own eyes out. That'll help."
    North pokes his tongue out at Richter teasingly, before going back to straining to see over the heads of the row in front.
    "Better idea.", Richter picks North up and presses him against one of the nearby Gym roof support columns.
    North happily docks with a sharp CLANK.

Keyanu seems happy enough floating somewhat overhead, as the crowd starts erupting at the entrance of the Gym Leader.
    Flashes go off as a multitude of cameras (and Keyanu, slightly after) ignite at the entrance music.
    Richter can only hope the crowd wears itself out before his battle later in the day.
    All things told, standing up there seems more than a little intimidating.