As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Orville] is finally out of dry dock - season 3 is on!

KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
Hey! Yeah. So this came out. It's not super great, but hey it's like an off-brand Star Trek that can't decide whether it wants to be a comedy or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arRrMjeBtUQ

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
Kashaar on

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I watched the first episode, felt pretty good. Kinda like star trek but if everyone in the ship was a Merchant Navy person from the early part of the 20th century. Taking it seriously, but not VERY seriously. Sets were really nice, ship to ship combat felt a little weak compared to what would be expected these days. Not much physicality to the weapon impacts on the shields and hull etc, even by video game standards.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I fell asleep during the climax of the first episode and have yet to watch the second one.

we'll see...... I'm gonna give it a chance though.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    I watched the first episode, felt pretty good. Kinda like star trek but if everyone in the ship was a Merchant Navy person from the early part of the 20th century. Taking it seriously, but not VERY seriously. Sets were really nice, ship to ship combat felt a little weak compared to what would be expected these days. Not much physicality to the weapon impacts on the shields and hull etc, even by video game standards.

I'm willing to give it a shot, the worst parts feel like something that they'll get better at

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I fell asleep during the climax of the first episode and have yet to watch the second one.

we'll see...... I'm gonna give it a chance though.

I feel that its going to be better if it focuses on being 'lower key'. The level of comedy/human drama they seem to want would seem to play better with a story where they are say, protecting the evacuated Mall of the Space Federation from an asteroid storm, than preventing someone from getting a doomsday device. They seem like they should be a natural 'cleanup crew', repairing the mess created by a more 'action heavy' offscreen crew who is always stopping world destroying threats etc. Then the orville comes in and is delivering replacement umbrellas, or holodeck projectors.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    The second episode had a lot fewer bad gags stuffed in all over the place, but the main conceit of the episode was just fucking awful, and the conclusion to everything even worse.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The show feels shorter to than STNG for some reason. They seem to jump ahead a little too much.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    Just watched the second episode. Don't have strong feelings about the show, still just feels like a can't-believe-it's-even-legal Star Trek copy. Best part of the episode was Jeffrey Tambor.

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    The second episode had a lot fewer bad gags stuffed in all over the place, but the main conceit of the episode was just fucking awful, and the conclusion to everything even worse.

It was a blue collar ending.
    Picard enjoys high brow stuff like classical music and literary books. Mercer watches 21st century reality TV.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    ok watched the second episode and didn't fall asleep!

the Tambor jokes were fantastic and i didn't mind the stupid ending, in universe it's kinda true.. lol also the little stinger at the end could be interesting? i don't know, it'll be a fine show that fox cancels after 13 episodes due to nobody watching

edit - the actual conceit of the episode is very normal scifi and seemed fine to me, surprised people didn't like the idea

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Watched the second episode. Overall I liked it. There were a few wrinkles here and there, but almost everything felt like an improvement over the pilot. I could see this continuing to improve as they find their footing. I'll keep watching for now.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    i know this show is like

objectively bad

but im actually really enjoying it? its bizarrely... kind? for a seth macfarlane joint. also i like the 20 year old third officer shes very chipper and i enjoyed her going AIGHT when being told she was ranking officer

its also taking the side characters feelings weirdly seriously too

also using a matter thingy to make a pot brownie is a great idea because clearly weed is legal in the sick star trek future

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

the Tambor jokes were fantastic and i didn't mind the stupid ending, in universe it's kinda true.. lol also the little stinger at the end could be interesting? i don't know, it'll be a fine show that fox cancels after 13 episodes due to nobody watching

edit - the actual conceit of the episode is very normal scifi and seemed fine to me, surprised people didn't like the idea

If somebody were to layout the basic plot of this episode, I'd buy in a second that it could have come from literally any of the Star Trek series.
    Captain and First Officer board a damaged freighter, turns out to be a trap and they wind up in an alien zoo. Unlikely Bridge Officer gets put in charge while they're away and has a crisis of confidence in their abilities and makes a mistake trying to cover it up damaging the ship.
    Unlikely Bridge Officer is ordered to abandon the Captain and First Officer and return to Earth for a new Captain and First Officer, but disobeys the order to rescue the missing crew after insuring the crew is firmly on their side in the decision.
    Unlikely Bridge Officer offers an unusual exchange in order to retrieve the captured Captain and First Officer which works out to everyone's benefit.

I don't think I'd doubt a person who told me this was originally pitched as a Star Trek episode.

Honestly, the biggest problem with the series so far (IMO) is that it can't decide if it wants to be comedy or science fiction focused. It feels like it's stumbling trying to be both, and not doing either one well.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I've enjoyed both episodes I think except for the stupid ending of episode 2. It felt cheap and stupid.
    If "Oww! my balls!" is the level of humour on the show I don't think I'll be able to stand it.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

It was basically the premise of a Star Trek TAS episode.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    It would've been normal for Wesley Crusher, or Jake Sisko, or Harry Kim.

Not for the head of security.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    jammu wrote: »

Picard enjoys high brow stuff like classical music and literary books. Mercer watches 21st century reality TV.

Now I can't stop thinking about what a low brow Moriarty hologram would be.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    It would've been normal for Wesley Crusher, or Jake Sisko, or Harry Kim.

Not for the head of security.

Well, there is a line in the pilot about her species getting fast tracked through the ranks because it's rare for them to join up. It's also not exactly the flagship. I think it could have been written better, but I can go along with it.

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Oh god now I need a Moriarty episode.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I keep not hating this show.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Well, it is Seth MacFarlane, so there is a non-zero chance that whoever it is will be played by Rush Limbaugh.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    My bet is on Hologram Skeletor.
    I'm leaving towards the movie version but with the TV voice.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

Apparently, this is about the third or fourth episode

(spoilers for this episode obviously)
    As has now been reported, an upcoming episode of The Orville takes on a “very special episode” structure to debate the merits or lack thereof regarding — stay with me now — an alien baby getting sexual reassignment surgery.

Without getting into the specifics of the story, I can at least tell you that the way this episode plays out makes it one of the most transparent and least necessary takes on the vast complexities of gender. The episode, written by MacFarlane, clearly thinks it’s shedding light and nuance on a fraught topic; it’s unclear if MacFarlane, a straight cis white guy, consulted anyone other than himself on said topic. But I would be shocked to discover that was the case, since the episode just ends up reciting bullet points too simplistic even for the transgender Wikipedia entry, and letting characters exchange the same basic arguments in scene after excruciating scene.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/9/8/16267782/the-orville-seth-macfarlane-review-lol-what

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    On next episode:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OeasWwuQGM

Seems like they're moving on to thursdays.
    Is that a good or bad thing?

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    On next episode:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OeasWwuQGM

Seems like they're moving on to thursdays.
    Is that a good or bad thing?

Thursday has a lot of big long running stuff, and I can't think of any that would be direct competition, so... Maybe? I'm pretty sure Thursday is only a graveyard for blood offerings to Shonda Rhymes.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    It's also being paired with Gotham as it's lead-in.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Ouch.

• Options
    As it is now, Gotham isn't bad. It's seemed to have embraced it's Elseworlds-ness, and gone whole hog with whatever the hell they feel like.

First season still sucks though; I don't blame anyone for ditching the series before making it out of that.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Sorce wrote: »
    As it is now, Gotham isn't bad. It's seemed to have embraced it's Elseworlds-ness, and gone whole hog with whatever the hell they feel like.

First season still sucks though; I don't blame anyone for ditching the series before making it out of that.

I stick with it in bursts, it always had its moments here and there; so it's maybe not terrible lead in for that reason. Anyone still tuning in has a high tolerance for off-moments.

Still not exactly a vote of confidence.

(I have not yet watched this, just realized it was on)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Friday is traditionally the death slot, so Thursday isn't inherently bad. Moving a show around isn't the best sign, but MacFarlane is a Fox golden child... I'm so confused.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    I'm thinking it's a good thing, since the show seems less likely to be preempted for football after it's moved to Thursday. I think? I don't know, is there football on Thursdays?

I know on Sunday the football game was delayed due to lightning out here, so instead of Orville, my DVR recorded 50 minutes of post game show and 10 minutes of the actual show I wanted to watch. Maybe on Thursdays that'll be less likely to happen.

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    I believe the plan was always to move it to Thursday. I knew it was switching this week for awhile, it was mentioned in a few of the articles I read when I was checking for season premiere times for all my other shows.

I think it was just a Sunday starter for two weeks to get people's attention / potentially invested. Like I think it was the lead in to some of the first NFL games this year on the first Sunday (10th)? I guess they figured two episodes was enough to give it an initial boost before putting it on its now-usual day.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    see317 wrote: »
    I'm thinking it's a good thing, since the show seems less likely to be preempted for football after it's moved to Thursday. I think? I don't know, is there football on Thursdays?

I know on Sunday the football game was delayed due to lightning out here, so instead of Orville, my DVR recorded 50 minutes of post game show and 10 minutes of the actual show I wanted to watch. Maybe on Thursdays that'll be less likely to happen.

...am I being wooshed? You're joking, right?
    uz6u66hsn755.jpg

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

...am I being wooshed? You're joking, right?
    uz6u66hsn755.jpg

*Googles "Thursday Night Football"*
    Yeah, totally joking. That was totally, 100%, a completely intentional and hilarious internet joke.
    Completely.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Sorry, it was just funny to me because prior to the last couple years* I'd never really paid any attention to Football outside of when a team from my home state made it into the playoffs/superbowl, but I was aware football games are on Monday, Thursday, and Sunday. Checking just now, it looks like it only started in 2006 though, so it is relatively new.

*The main thing that changed this was that I got hooked on the "Balls In Your Ear" podcast that started with Dan Avidan from Game Grumps and Ninja Sex Party skyping each week with an old friend of his who's from Philly (Dan's from North Jersey, so they're fans of rival teams).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    This is a show that I think would be genuinely good with a few seasons to decide what it is which is why its a shame its on Fox

• Options
    I'm sorta surprised how much people hate the ending of the second episode. like.. it kinda makes sense that these people want a zoo and well.. that's what we gave them

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    I'm sorta surprised how much people hate the ending of the second episode. like.. it kinda makes sense that these people want a zoo and well.. that's what we gave them

Is that the part that's rustling peoples jimmies?
    I thought it was the child of the all male species being hatched as female (and the implication that this is something that MacFarlane felt in a position to discuss, let alone work into his sci-fi/comedy show) that was riling people up.

I thought the "Here are thousands of hours of humans putting themselves on display for the amusement of other humans, just like a zoo only with added drama" was a pretty apt description of reality TV.

• Options
    oh
    uh I have no idea

I think the child sex change thing is still a couple episodes away so I just assumed it was using other fox shows on the TV screens the dumb aliens are watching. I don't know. people get mad for things a lot, it's hard to keep track

all of a sudden a different sexed baby born out of a single sex species seems like a pretty generic sci fi idea so it seems crazy to me that that would be the thing people are mad about?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    oh
    uh I have no idea

I think the child sex change thing is still a couple episodes away so I just assumed it was using other fox shows on the TV screens the dumb aliens are watching. I don't know. people get mad for things a lot, it's hard to keep track

all of a sudden a different sexed baby born out of a single sex species seems like a pretty generic sci fi idea so it seems crazy to me that that would be the thing people are mad about?
    It is a generic scifi idea, it's just that sort of thing (or at least, the idea of gender/sex transitioning) has become a popular issue for most Americans to have some sort of an opinion on, so it's catching more discussion.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    oh
    uh I have no idea

Seth McFarlane has a really, really bad track record when it comes to trans issues, which the episode is allegedly a metaphor for.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!