As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Dropping Science

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Dropping Science

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Is that really a thing up in WA? I thought it was more of a southern thing.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

Any population with a sufficiently rural/agrarian bent has a strong leaning towards creationism and a visceral reaction against

Take me for example: I grew up in Houston and graduated high school in the mid-90's, and that kind of science-denial was fucking everywhere. Houston's the fourth largest city in the U.S. and the thirteenth busiest port in the world.

Yet, despite the absolutely massive petro-chem industry, despite the fact that The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is the culmination of thousands of years of selective evolution, people still turn a blind eye to cause-and-effect; I have family members in their eighties who've never seen hurricanes in their entire lives like the ones of the last month, yet they still persist in denying climate change or humanity's effect on such.

For what it's worth, I think it's a variation of the Sunk Cost Fallacy: I've invested too much time and effort into believing that I'm right to ever admit that I might have been misled or otherwise misinformed, so damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead.

• GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I am also hoping this isn't inspired by a real event. But I won't be surprised to learn it was. We are in a real anti-intellectual movement in the US right now. Certain groups are trying really hard to make sure "right" and "wrong" don't mean anything anymore. Anything that contradicts with certain goals(making money) is treated as fake. And people in the middle are scared of causing trouble/losing money so they equivocate. It is really quite frightening.

Edit: Also as someone who lives in the south(Alabama) I don't remember this really being a thing when I was in school(the middle to late 90s). Though there was an optional religious studies class of some sort that I assume was created to appease the sort of people that get offended by the concept of evolution.

GDT1985 on
  • poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    Cause science is Always Right! lol I would like to mention the egg. Cause it can't seem to make up its mind on if its safe to eat or not. Or If Pluto is a planet. Last time I heard is wasn't a planet.. again. I think I said enough.

• sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    I'd like to preemptively remind folks that not all faiths or people of faith have a problem with evolution.

When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    poipoigirl wrote: »
    Cause science is Always Right! lol I would like to mention the egg. Cause it can't seem to make up its mind on if its safe to eat or not. Or If Pluto is a planet. Last time I heard is wasn't a planet.. again. I think I said enough.

Of course science isn't always right. New things are learned all the time.(And the Pluto thing is basically semantics)
    sullijo wrote: »
    I'd like to preemptively remind folks that not all faiths or people of faith have a problem with evolution.

This is true, of course. But it is usually the religious(probably Christian) that have the most problem with the teaching of evolution. It isn't as if Genesis could be written in metaphor. But it is not my place to tell people what to believe, and I respect everyone's right to believe what they want. Nor do I think religion and science are mutually exclusive. Because, only a fool believes he knows everything.

GDT1985 on
  • ApeAccountApeAccount Registered User regular
    I'm reminded of the words of the comedian Dara O'Brien who said that science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop. Scientists fully expect to learn new things over time and to challenge their old beliefs. However there's a big difference between deeply examined scientific theories (like, say, gravity) which have had multiple scientists examine them for an extremely long time, predicting and finding multiple pieces of corroborating evidence, and a few health experts forming an opinion over whether eggs are good for you.

• Jakk FrostJakk Frost Registered User regular
    sullijo wrote: »

I don't think this is just about creationism vs evolution. There are people out there now claiming science (particularly math) is sexist and others claiming science is racist. And no, I'm not talking about sexism or racism IN science.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I have my own theory.

Man creates god. Man rebels against god. Man replaces god with science. Science is man's new god. Man rebels against god (science).

It's a cycle. And that's why we have flat-earthers, climate change deniers, and anti-vaccine folks out there. They are blatantly disregarding science, not because it's science, but because it is god, and it is in man's nature to rebel against god.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    GDT1985 wrote: »
    I am also hoping this isn't inspired by a real event. But I won't be surprised to learn it was. We are in a real anti-intellectual movement in the US right now. Certain groups are trying really hard to make sure "right" and "wrong" don't mean anything anymore. Anything that contradicts with certain goals(making money) is treated as fake. And people in the middle are scared of causing trouble/losing money so they equivocate. It is really quite frightening.

Edit: Also as someone who lives in the south(Alabama) I don't remember this really being a thing when I was in school(the middle to late 90s). Though there was an optional religious studies class of some sort that I assume was created to appease the sort of people that get offended by the concept of evolution.

The first day of my sociology class we got a similar schpiel from our professor. That was in Puyallup which is a fairly small town outside Tacoma. There's plenty of creationists/etc in most states. Just more in some than others.

• SkribbleSkribble Registered User regular

Is this a joke post? Science isn't right or wrong - it's a method of observation that people use to come to a conclusion about a hypothesis through experimentation. "Science" isn't a single organization that disseminates information.

Results changing based on analysis of new data is literally what science is all about. It's GOOD that we recognize changing results.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Skribble wrote: »

Is this a joke post? Science isn't right or wrong - it's a method of observation that people use to come to a conclusion about a hypothesis through experimentation. "Science" isn't a single organization that disseminates information.

Results changing based on analysis of new data is literally what science is all about. It's GOOD that we recognize changing results.

Wrong, its all decided by this guy
    magnus_pyke_science1.jpg?w=590

with these two guys running the lab

Weird-Science.jpg

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • armatur3armatur3 San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Amen.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I went to school in WA and my sex education was abstinence only.

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular

Ah yes, you can always tell a persons argument is valid and reasonable when it includes the word "lol"

Also, does he think that Science is just one big uniform group or something that sits around and argues about what classifications to release this year?

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I think the better question raised by this strip is, "Are we getting more jpg jaggies because Mike is uploading such hi-res originals now? Or is there some other, more tedious explanation?"

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »

Ah yes, you can always tell a persons argument is valid and reasonable when it includes the word "lol"

Also, does he think that Science is just one big uniform group or something that sits around and argues about what classifications to release this year?

I get the feeling a lot of people believe precisely this.

• TubeTube Registered User admin

You have certainly said enough, yes.

• jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    ==MATH TEST== 3rd Period, Mr. Grimley

Question #1. Solve the following equation. 2 + 2 = ?
    Answer: SORRY I DONT BELIEVE IN MATH.

(A+)

• Einaudi-EnthusiastEinaudi-Enthusiast Registered User regular
    As an Animal Sciences major, I weep tears of gratitude to you gentlemen.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    As an Animal Sciences major, I weep tears of gratitude to you gentlemen.

that's such an easy major. Watch, I'll write your thesis for you.
    Gen 1:24 And God said, “Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds—livestock and creeping things and beasts of the earth according to their kinds.” And it was so.

1:25 And God made the beasts of the earth according to their kinds and the livestock according to their kinds, and everything that creeps on the ground according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

*dusts off hands*

SCIENCE!

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I believe the real issue people should be debating is the fact that Gabe's hair has become sentient and can now speak.

steam_sig.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Omg you're right

That last speech bubble

It's glorious

• Mike FehlauerMike Fehlauer Registered User regular
    That's some interesting philosophizing, Lucascraft.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular

It's an everywhere thing, even where education itself is solid, the, "I'm not telling you to believe it, I'm telling you to understand it," cop out is eternal.

• donnbobhardydonnbobhardy Registered User regular
    I think when it comes to education, let's let the schools teach the curriculum and the parents/churches teach belief. Personally, I believe that species adapt over time, but not that they will evolve into a different species. But I don't care if teachers teach that evolution is real or not. I'm perfectly capable of taking part in my kids' education. And I'd like to think that my kids can think rationally for themselves.

As for "science" being right or wrong, science is using experiments to reach conclusions. It's the CONCLUSIONS that are not always correct.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    I believe the real issue people should be debating is the fact that Gabe's hair has become sentient and can now speak.

NO, SHHHHH! We don't talk about the hair. The last poster who talked about the hair was never seen again. In fact, I think it might even be searching for all references to "Gabe's hair" and

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I think when it comes to education, let's let the schools teach the curriculum and the parents/churches teach belief. Personally, I believe that species adapt over time, but not that they will evolve into a different species. But I don't care if teachers teach that evolution is real or not. I'm perfectly capable of taking part in my kids' education. And I'd like to think that my kids can think rationally for themselves.

As for "science" being right or wrong, science is using experiments to reach conclusions. It's the CONCLUSIONS that are not always correct.

NOMA can go die in a fire, as can all appeals to the Golden Mean.

Religion is full-stop superstition and has no worthwhile commentary to make. Far less so when it involves what actually happens in the natural world.

Twenty Sided on
    Are you arguing against my personal understanding of how evolution works? Or against my opinion that schools should teach knowledge and parents should teach belief?

edited September 2017
    The idea that species evolve , but never enough to be classed as another species is, unfortunately, nonsensical. The two are intertwined

Tube on
    Yeah. Heaven forbid that dog breeding be a thing.

• JackJack Registered User regular
    ApeAccount wrote: »
    I'm reminded of the words of the comedian Dara O'Brien who said that science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop. Scientists fully expect to learn new things over time and to challenge their old beliefs. However there's a big difference between deeply examined scientific theories (like, say, gravity) which have had multiple scientists examine them for an extremely long time, predicting and finding multiple pieces of corroborating evidence, and a few health experts forming an opinion over whether eggs are good for you.

I'm also a fan of his bit on alternative medicine. It's something like "Do you know what we call alternative medicine that works? Medicine."

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular

Congratulations, you just used the same argument creationists use, that microevolution is somehow a separate concept from macroevolution.

Congratulations. You have just successfully stated what I did.

FWIW, I was responding to TUBE who stated that evolution only changes species and does not modify existing species.

Unless that's not what he meant, in which case I totally apologize for misunderstanding what he said.

P.S. How the heck do you quote people on this site?

edited September 2017

Dog breeding is absolutely a thing. So are species evolving until they are entirely different species. Saying that species adapt but never to the point where they are a new species(which is how I read your post, correct me if I'm mistaken) just... doesn't really make sense. Those two concepts can't be separated, if a species can evolve, it can keep evolving until it's unrecognisable. That's why we're unrecognisable as the single cell organisms that we evolved from. I'm trying not to sound rude, but it's difficult with these kind of conversations, sorry.

Tube on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    According to the news post this was indeed an actual thing that was said!

Cor blimey.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Congratulations. You have just successfully stated what I did.

FWIW, I was responding to TUBE who stated that evolution only changes species and does not modify existing species.

Unless that's not what he meant, in which case I totally apologize for misunderstanding what he said.

P.S. How the heck do you quote people on this site?

He definitely didn't say that. Not sure how you got that. He was saying that you can believe in the smaller scale existing but not that over time it would go further is what seems to not make much sense.

• TransluciaTranslucia Registered User regular
    The issue with science class is that they leave out where ideas come from. They don't teach Tesla, who invented like everything and had his papers confiscated when he died. Newton died with mercury in his hair and maps of Solomon's Temple (a magician) on his desk. The double helix structure of DNA was discovered in a dream by Francis Crick of two snakes twirling around each other. Einstein discovered relativity when daydreaming about two beams of light racing each other. If you don't understand where ideas come from, you don't understand anything. You don't understand first premises: why and how? Nobody understands that. Energy is mysterious. We don't even know what the sun is. It could be a gigantic floating God for all we know, or it might as well be.

As far as evolution goes, you have to know that Tesla believed we got thoughts given to us from extra-dimensional beings, and Darwin's partner, Alfred Russel Wallace, who basically invented evolution and natural science with Darwin, changed his mind. Some people think our brains increased dramatically in size because we ate psychedelic mushrooms. But they don't teach that. You also need to understand that there's an agenda to keep people believing that the general population is human cattle, not special, and not magical. It's thought control, for reals, and it really, actually does exist. Thought control is happening every day. Just go read the news.

Google "the problems with evolution" and there's a lot of good information out there.

Yeah but you know, that's bollocks isn't it?

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    There's a whole lot wrong with that post, but let's focus on the bit where you said we don't know what the sun is because wow.
    Maybe this will help you.
    https://youtu.be/sLkGSV9WDMA

It's pretty dang well understood.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png