As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFRK] 30th Anniversary Fest Tonight! Free 30 pull to get you started.

• DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Is there a healer character thats got really nice abilities? I'm still running white mage and shes pretty useless cause her health pool sucks and gets killed a lot. I'd prefer to level with someone a bit tougher and has a decent payoff.

Remember the main rule when starting out - your best characters are the ones you have relics for. I highly recommend pulling on the medica lucky draw, in your case, because that'll give you a massive survivability boost, and you can then dump the WM for someone better (literally every other healer, even Ovelia).

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Is there a healer character thats got really nice abilities? I'm still running white mage and shes pretty useless cause her health pool sucks and gets killed a lot. I'd prefer to level with someone a bit tougher and has a decent payoff.

If you managed to complete the first half of the FFIV event, you should've just picked up Rosa for free. She's about as good as they come with 5* White Mage access, and 4* Support. That Support access only really comes into play if you managed to pull a relic for her, however. For now, it's worth using her over the White Mage core because she'll easily have twice the amount of HP and stats at level 50 than it will.

Once the anniversary drops and if you pull on the Healer Lucky Draw, whichever bursts you pull out of the list should immediately be the first hero souls you use to grab the characters.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Hm. I have enough 4* Brave motes to Legend Dive Ramza or Vaan. Wondering who I should do it for.

Vaan could use it to do more damage, while Ramza could use it to keep both Shout and HT active whilst also carrying Full Break and Dr Mog's Teachings.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Tyro can carry whichever version of Cure you're using while you wait for the lucky draw. Just make sure you manually equip him for MND, because Optimize is not likely to do that for you.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Yeah i think i have rosa, was thinking of putting her in but didnt know anything about her. I know the equipment is generally more important than the unit, but as you guys pointed out with cloud and Tyro, there are some abilities you get when unlocking levels that are important, i just figured there would also be healers in that category.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Yeah i think i have rosa, was thinking of putting her in but didnt know anything about her. I know the equipment is generally more important than the unit, but as you guys pointed out with cloud and Tyro, there are some abilities you get when unlocking levels that are important, i just figured there would also be healers in that category.

Most healer RMs are pretty bad, and the characters themselves are mostly interchangeable until you start getting BSBs and USBs involved. Any healer is better than the White Mage, at least for survivability.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    There isn't really any must-have Record Materia when starting out apart from the third ones you get from Cloud and Tyro, and even those two are only must-have once you've acquired buff/utility SBs you want to use on the first turn of a boss battle.

There are plenty of good Record Materia, but you don't really need to consider acquiring them right away. Better to funnel your experience into the characters you draw good SSBs and Bursts for, so you can assemble an A-Team.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

There aren't really many super great healer-specfic Record Materia out there. Most of the time, you'll want to equip your healer with an RM that makes it easier for them to use their soul break. All the good RMs that do that come from non-healer characters.

Narbus on
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    There are some healer record materia that are nice to have, but nothing anywhere near as critical as Dr. Mog's Teachings and Mako Might (the ones that start you with one soul break bar).

steam_sig.png
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So they decided the RW system was a mistake and got rid of it? Poor form, DeNa.

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    For story dungeons at the moment, which I suppose is reasonable to avoid RW'ing OSBs and the like to obliterate anything that's sub 120 difficulty or so and the selection does encourage a good idea on what kind of SBs to aim for. All those utility SBs... though it's also interesting Runic Blade/Indonesian Blade is available on the higher difficulties.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

I don't necessarially disagree with the notion that new players shouldn't just oneshot every boss in the game with an overstrike for the first few weeks of their playing.

Hell I almost quit this game when I started playing it because Tyro and the zansetsuken i got for free was oneshotting everything and it was boring.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    edited September 2017

You can always have a look at Enlir's spreadsheet to inform yourself of which characters you want to chase after, or what their future prospects look like if you decide to keep them on the party full time.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16K1Zryyxrh7vdKVF1f7eRrUAOC5wuzvC3q2gFLch6LQ/edit#gid=938172420

Just some key things to note:
    Record Materia: The equippable buff that comes with characters once you break their level 50 cap. Only one can be equipped, but any RM can be equipped by anybody.
    Record Spheres: The stat boosts you can improve a character with once you break their level 65 cap. Only affects the character, generally improves their primary stats and might even boost damage in relevant skillsets, or improve their rating (Spellblade 4* to 5* for example).
    Legend Materia and Spheres: Legend Spheres only unlock when you've completed any character's specific record spheres, and not all characters even have access to them yet. Probably not something to concern yourself with for the time being.

When it comes to looking at Record Materia, the best increases, are 30% (weapon and element boosts, such as Sword, Fire, or Healing) or 40% (skillset boosts, such as Knight, or Ninja). Most of those top end RMs are only obtained by hitting level 99 with the character who provides it, and requires that you got all of their previous RMs, some of which only "drop" by random battle. Those random ones won't usually be a problem, but some folk here have definitely gone from 50-99 without the blessing of RNG giving up that one random battle drop.

El Fantastico on

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    The PDF is also a couple of months out of date and the owner is AWOL but generally easier to use than Enlir's spreadsheet: http://happypluto.com/~misterp/r/ffrk.pdf

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Oof. The story update refresh in Japan gives a MASSIVE increase in orbs.

Chart (in greaters)
    5lhVrqZl.jpg

New animations for the skill reworks too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muo39bKwenQ

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    Yeah, that should be pretty great for new players.

Shadow Embodied looks so cool.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    2 hours of attempts and I can't repeat my Liquid Flame kill. RNG is dumb.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

I don't necessarially disagree with the notion that new players shouldn't just oneshot every boss in the game with an overstrike for the first few weeks of their playing.

Hell I almost quit this game when I started playing it because Tyro and the zansetsuken i got for free was oneshotting everything and it was boring.

Still would be nice to be able to RW imperils at least.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Bismarck down in 29.63 seconds! Spamming the OSB is a remarkably fast way to put him down. He does do an amazing amount of damage, and suicide running it for time makes that very dangerous. I dunno if I will try and farm him sub 30, but knowing I can pull it off is pretty nice.

• mercurialchemistermercurialchemister Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Now that everyone's had some time to work on Magicite, what's your collection of times?

My best times:
    Bismarck - 00:43.07
    Liquid Flame - 00:53.54
    Sealion - 00:42.79
    Fenrir - 00:58.61
    Golem - 00:40.61
    Hydra - 1:03.61

Pretty obvious where my weak elements are and/or what bosses are the dumbest.

Golem can get a couple seconds faster just based on variance of who he hits for meter breakpoints but I need to raise Potato up for Ley Lines to have a shot at sub30.
    Bismarck isn't getting any better without UltraClaire. Or I could rework entirely to try magic instead and use Ley Lines there as well.
    Fenrir will get better as soon as soon as fest happens.
    Hydra is hopeless.

Hydra down to about 45s
    Golem was 40s
    Bismarck 24.98s
    the others were all sub-1 minute but I haven't gone back since my original sweep when they were released.

Edit: Bismarck sub-25s without Lightning USB is an achievement unto itself, I think

mercurialchemister on
    I was really not expecting them to buff the ninja skills to seven hits. I feel a little bad for recommending people not to chase Edge BSB if they got the USB.

Thinking about Shadow. If I was to get his Endark BSB from the BSB+ lucky draw, is that enough, combined with Shadow Embodied and Shadow Fang or the Blink-providing Ninja skill, to make him strong? Or is he quite dependent on getting Overcome the Past?

edited September 2017
    Enlong wrote: »
    Thinking about Shadow. If I was to get his Endark BSB from the BSB+ lucky draw, is that enough, combined with Shadow Embodied and Shadow Fang or the Blink-providing Ninja skill, to make him strong? Or is he quite dependent on getting Overcome the Past?

I would say right now, the USB chase is an easy 15-20K part of his damage combo. It's literally leaving good damage on the table without it, when you can maximize the 2 blink buff. It doesn't take a lot of attack or buff stacking to cap the damage though, so if you're already getting 7-8k per hit on Raging Waters/Shadow Embodied and you see it doublecast, the USB chase damage is nice, but adds up to less and less.

Once those ninja skills get buffed in GL, it's still 20K damage, but considering you can possibly achieve 140K before those hits, it doesn't look nearly as impressive. The main draw to using the USB at that point is the high quickcast on Ninja skills, which makes them almost instant.

El Fantastico on

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    I was really not expecting them to buff the ninja skills to seven hits. I feel a little bad for recommending people not to chase Edge BSB if they got the USB.

It's an option for the gem-only pick, so there is one guaranteed way to get it for people who'd really benefit.

IKknkhU.gif
    edited September 2017
    Here's a comment from ElNino on reddit talking about Edge BSB vs USB:
    The central key item is now his BSB.

The BSB give him endow Water. -> the most important stuff.
    His LMR give him a way to easily blink restack. -> very useful for phy boss
    and his USB give him TGM Water & 20k more dmg which is quite neglictible now lol...

to make a quick compare :

USB + BSB : ~132 500 in 0.275 CT.
    BSB alone : ~112 500 in 0.825 CT.
    USB alone : ~94 000 in 0.275 CT.

And my response:
    The cast time difference makes a difference to average DPS. Using the numbers you gave right there along with a 1.65 hasted turn time, I calculate that the throughput on the USB is still (slightly) better than the BSB.

Combo: 68831 DPS
    BSB: 45454 DPS
    USB: 48831 DPS

After the ability buff, the BSB and USB for Edge seem roughly equal. Of course, if you combine them, that's an extra 50% or so on top of already ludicrous DPS.

Fry on
    I have a question about Squall's USB that maybe someone can answer before I start Legend Diving him. Does the chase proc off of double casts? It doesn't strike me as hugely important currently, although certainly strong and fun. Double cast triggering it would knock its value up quite a lot though.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I don't think double casts each trigger a chase proc. I know Bartz is just one chase at least.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Do double casts that consume extra ability uses each separately trigger a chase proc (and separately provide meter as if two abilities were used)? Or do they just function identically to other dualcasts, except with a downside?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    So, wait, I can pick up Edge's BSB and still do ludicrous damage? Sign me up!

Yeah he can do quite well with his Legend Dive, BSB, and Reflecting Pool/Raging Waters combo. This will increase in power half a year from now, when Raging Waters gets a buff to Attacks done/Blink.

The USB is really there to enable dropping ludicrous (it's what everyone's saying, and I just plain like that word) damage in such short bursty periods. Because the USB effect only lasts 15 seconds, and a fully dived Edge/Shadow gets over 200 speed, weak/very weak phases shouldn't look so scary when you can toss out 50-100k damage every 1.7 seconds.

You'll go through your hones in short order though, which is where you'll be happy to have a BSB, but that goes without saying for many characters.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    K, so does this game take up a lot of bandwidth? Cause i suddenly went over my allowance for the month on my work phone a whole week early and usually dont even come close. I've only played the game 6-7 days in a row but i know i somehow used up about 700megs of bandwidth during that time and nothing else i can think of could have drained it that quick.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Excellent. Now I'll wait to see if I can land Zack's BSB1 from the upcoming DU banner before pulling the trigger on Edge BSB, though I do have his LMR already so that's a point in his favor.

Also I'm liking the updated orbs in the dungeons. It will help bring new players up to speed instead of languishing in a long-forgotten grind for most of the veterans. Although we will have to EARN those new orbs because we won't be able to OSB the boss once or twice to win anymore. Now we'll actually have to, gods forbid, play the game.

There's no way that Tyro can juggle the buffs from SG, AA, FF, and Protectga, can he? Even with his LM2?

Knight_ wrote: »
    I don't think double casts each trigger a chase proc. I know Bartz is just one chase at least.

Well that's where this one gets a bit weird. It only triggers every other cast anyways. Bartz' USB behavior means that almost certainly Squall's USB does not trigger on double casts, but it could just be that you can only trigger once per attack meaning Squall's would still be viable.

Probably not without an entrust bot. Protectga lasts long enough, and unless you're doing a jump start, you won't be able to build SB meter fast enough to have them all going at the same time without some meter energy sent his way.

K, so does this game take up a lot of bandwidth? Cause i suddenly went over my allowance for the month on my work phone a whole week early and usually dont even come close. I've only played the game 6-7 days in a row but i know i somehow used up about 700megs of bandwidth during that time and nothing else i can think of could have drained it that quick.

It normally shouldn't, but if you're new you're going to be downloading a lot of realm dungeons.
    Enlong wrote: »
    Yeah he can do quite well with his Legend Dive, BSB, and Reflecting Pool/Raging Waters combo. This will increase in power half a year from now, when Raging Waters gets a buff to Attacks done/Blink.

I use the combo with Yuffie, and it already dumps out massive amounts of damage. I can't wait for her legend dive to appear so I can doublecast these things.

edited September 2017
    Probably not without an entrust bot. Protectga lasts long enough, and unless you're doing a jump start, you won't be able to build SB meter fast enough to have them all going at the same time without some meter energy sent his way.

Hm.

So the best way to get all that going at the same time would be to RW the Wall. Preferably have him specifically call in the RW, so it can benefit from his LM.

Only issue is that I can't then use the RM for something crazy strong like an EX Mode. But if I must do that, then I think Tyro can do just fun with just SG and FF. The extra damage potential from using a strong EX Mode on the DPS character would make up for the lack of AA.

Enlong on
    Aegis wrote: »
    Do double casts that consume extra ability uses each separately trigger a chase proc (and separately provide meter as if two abilities were used)? Or do they just function identically to other dualcasts, except with a downside?

The upside is that the ones that consume more ability uses (e.g. Shantotto USB) have 100% trigger rate, instead of 35% or worse.

This discussion has been closed.